Baseball

Jen

Baseball is one of my favorite sports. I was just wondering what your favorite baseball team(s) is! I'll start.

I love love love the New York Yankees!!!

Guest claybug1

I love the St Louis Cardinals when it comes to baseball, but I love the Florida Gators in football. Then, I have to listen to Kentucky basketball and golf because of my husband. So while he watches those, that gives me a good excuse to go to the extra bedroom that has a sitting area, and listen to Clay music. I have been fortunate to have some of my Clay friends to send me CDs of music they have downloaded. Of course---Clay Aiken is my FAVORITE sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claybug1

I love the St Louis Cardinals when it comes to baseball, but I love the Florida Gators in football.  Then,  I have to listen to Kentucky basketball and golf because of my husband.  So while he watches those, that gives me a good excuse to go to the extra bedroom that has a sitting area, and listen to Clay music.  I have been fortunate to have some of my Clay friends to send me CDs of music they have downloaded.  Of course---Clay Aiken is my FAVORITE sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claybug1

Ah... football is a great sport as well! I like the Dolphins and the New York Jets. :) CLay Aiken as a sport! Lol. I like that. :P

Edited by Jen

I'm abivalent about Barry but was coming home from the city and turned on the radio and heard him in the middle of his speech. I'm a sports fan...what can I say ...I got chills. He's the face of steroids because of this record chase but I think baseball needs to take a long hard look at itself and realize they turned a blind eye to many players juicing up. They did nothing about it. The sports media did nothing about it. The fans did nothing about it. We're all culpable. I think the entire era has been tainted by steroids but you can't punish one for all. Either you find a way to deal with the entire era or fix it and move on.

I'm abivalent about Barry but was coming home from the city and turned on the radio and heard him in the middle of his speech. I'm a sports fan...what can I say ...I got chills. He's the face of steroids because of this record chase but I think baseball needs to take a long hard look at itself and realize they turned a blind eye to many players juicing up. They did nothing about it. The sports media did nothing about it. The fans did nothing about it. We're all culpable. I think the entire era has been tainted by steroids but you can't punish one for all. Either you find a way to deal with the entire era or fix it and move on.

Oh I agree couchie...in many ways I think that MLB deserves to have records it views as "tainted." edited for clarity....

As one who was around for the last "crowning" of a HR King I find it all rather ironic...how eerily similar the mood is. For vastly different (& horribly WRONG!) reasons, Aaron was as much of an "unloved hero" to MLB in his day as Barry is today.

from Aaron's statement

My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams.

:bravo:

If you like to read and for historical context Aaron's bio I had a hammer is darn good.

---

Why yes...I do use the VIEW NEW POSTS feature. :RedGuy:

Edited by jamar1700

I'm a Giants fan and even I'M ambivalent about Barry, but.... it's history. If you're a baseball fan, this struck you. In some way.

And for me, it deserves recognition as a major historical event - no matter what. I don't even care if Barry is happy or not. It's not about being proud for my team or Barry; it's just an awesome stat. Just like chasing 70, 71, 72, 73 was that year.

I don't believe it's tainted. Regardless. As you say, if they can't deal with the entire era, then they can't take this from Bonds. As someone said on KNBR today, it's "one of the biggest moments in sports history in my lifetime". As a moment, it rocked -- and it was on my b'day. Wee. Baseball history. Love that. I was in the car on my way home from an uneventful evening and turned on the game just as Barry walked up to the plate. Jon Miller calling this, me getting my hopes up a little, waiting, waiting... Holeeee Shit... he did it right then. Exciting as hell. I watched FoxSportsNet all night and loved every minute. And I'm glad Barry and Bochy shot down that stupid ass "journalist" who kept trying to bring Greg An derson into the story. For one night, STFU!

The media runs in packs. One only need be a Clay Aiken fan to know that.

Heh, my two controvery kings. I know how to pick 'em, don't I? :lol:

Gary Radnich is awesome. He's reminding people that if you were there, you might feel differently than someone who was flipping around the channels watching it on TV (referring to Hank's speech specifically, but I think it applies to the whole "moment"). But that it's everyone's own experience - we experienced it together - regardless of where you were - and there's no right or wrong feeling. Sound familiar? :)

:allgood:

Edited by YSRN

Just discovered this thread.

Barry - YUCK! Cannot stand him. Hate that he broke that record. No thrill or goosebumps for me because I do not think he could have broken that record without using steroids.

BUT - he still would have had a Hall of Fame career without steroids and that, I think, is what is so sad. He didn't NEED steroids to have a great career.

Now he has had that career, broken one of the unbreakable records, will get into the Hall of Fame (assuming they can't absolutely prove he used steroids, which I doubt they can....), but his career will always be tainted.

Was it worth it?

It is one thing if you are a mediocre player and steroids gave you a career. That I can understand - although I still do not condone it.

But when you're as gifted a player as Barry Bonds is, why would you risk so much? Think about it, he risked his career, his health, his reputation and who knows what else. And for what?

So he broke Hank Aaron's record. Is his life better now than it would have been if he ended his career with "only" 650 home runs?

Somehow I doubt it.

He is not the only one who has abused their careers with the use of steroids. The spector of steroids is keeping Mark McGuire out of the Hall of Fame (or so it has been speculated). It could keep others out as well. They must now be asking themselves if it was really worth it.

Somehow I think they will look the other way when its Barry Bonds' term to be elected and that's a shame. Maybe if he didn't make in it would make him ask was it worth it.

Since I'm one of the truly geeky that actually watched the whole House Committee on Steroids in Baseball live on CSPAN (& caught several repeats, seriously...I had favorite parts...) I can tell you that McGwire probably killed any chance he had of making the Hall that day. It's all on tape & in the transcripts, matter of public record. Schilling & Sosa did themselves no favors either and Rafe...well...es muy stupido, as you know. Selig and the MLB lawyer looked like absolute maroons who could not keep their stories straight for two consecutive minutes. Congressmen were literally rolling their eyes. Honestly and I have NO affection for this person, but the only one that came out of there with any dignity intact on the MLB side was Canseco.

My point about Bonds is that he is what he is, and he is what MLB let him be. And part of who Barry is is because of who McGwire was. They let McGwire be because he fit their image of what a baseball hero should be. Barry never did. Even before steroids became an issue.

Even at this time they are doing virtually NOTHING to control the problem at the highest levels. The only players you see getting suspended are low enders & nobodies. They still aren't touching the stars.

Look at what just transpired with Giambi. He gets out of punishment because of his charity work? Riiight. Giambi should have been on that panel that day and he didn't have the balls to sit there. His legacy should be tied firmly to Canseco & McGwires but .... he's a Yankee now. And that, my friends, is a whole different screed...

---

eta...I still am able to enjoy the game. Knowing in my heart that what goes on, goes on all over. On my team too. I'm also a big Track & Field fan so it's something I've dealt with before.

Edited by jamar1700

From a convo we started in the Check in thread...

Derek is one of the good guys- IMO, one of the players that should be looked up to in a game that seems to be increasingly filled with cheats and big egos

Well that's why I said I don't actually dislike him as either a person or a ballplayer.

FWIW...there are many many good guys in the game today who are also good ballplayers who are just as deserving of the attention he gets on the national stage. One of them won the Batting Title last year and one of the them was named MVP and one of them won the Cy-Young award. But you'd never know it. I don't appreciate it when my team is playing the Yankees on ESPN and the camera is on Jeter in the dugout instead of the play on the field. :shrugs:

Edited by jamar1700

Hey Jamar, when it comes to basketball I know what you mean. When my team plays actually gets ESPN coverage - when they play the Lakers or some other big name star team, even if they win, Kobe gets all the highlights. It was so interesting and it made me happy when my team captured the nation's attention for a little while. It took ESPN a couple of nights to catch on..but it was fun to read national stories about my team. We Believe heh. Hopefully that means we'll get many more national games next season. I think we are a team on the rise. But everything has become more starcentreic.

I remember being a Yankee fan when I was little - well because I was a Reggie fan, so I rooted for them when they were in championship games. But my A's are my heart and have been my entire life.

I remember being a Yankee fan when I was little - well because I was a Reggie fan, so I rooted for them when they were in championship games. But my A's are my heart and have been my entire life.

Hee. And I was a Dave Winfield fan.

Dave of course was from the U of M where he was a 3 sport star. I cheered for him most on the basketball court then. Dave was just an awesome specimen back in the day. He chose to play baseball professionaly (he was drafted in all 3 sports) because he knew he had the best chance to have the longest career there. He chose wisely.

I remember the old A's...Gene Tenace, Joe Rudi, Reggie. Those were some good teams.

Yes...I think starcentric is the key. Even when I watch my teams games on mlb.com and then see the national hightlights on ESPN they only show Torii Hunter making a rather routine catch at the wall and I'm like...did they see the same game I saw cuz the pitcher also pitched a 2 hit shutout? No mention of that?

Edited by jamar1700

Hee. And I was a Dave Winfield fan.

I remember the old A's...Gene Tenace, Joe Rudi, Reggie. Those were some good teams.

Wow, now you're bringing back some memories! I was actually an A's fan when I was QUITE young, before becoming a Yankees fan. I remember the championship teams of (I think!) '72,'73 and '74. If I recall, my favorite player from that era was Claudell Washington. But our local AAA team, the Syracuse Chiefs, was the farm team for the Yankees, so I was familiar with all of the players who moved up to the bigs from playing locally. The Chiefs switched their Major League affiliation when the Toronto Blue Jays came into existence.

Jamar- coincidentally, Dave Winfield was Jeter's favorite player when he was growing up! What are the odds?

Anyway, I can understand your feelings about the players who get all the spotlight and all the ink. (And I see that you're a Twins fan. Congrats to Morneau and Mauer on fantastic years last year.) Oddly enough, I think that also works against players like Jeter. He'll never be the homerun hitting RBI guy, but he does so many things well and has such great baseball instincts and a great demeanor. Unfortunately, I feel that even on his own team, he gets shortchanged by all the attention paid to A-Rod. (And I won't tell you what I really call him!), who I can't stand!!!!!! So, I know where you're coming from!

From a convo we started in the Check in thread...

But you'd never know it. I don't appreciate it when my team is playing the Yankees on ESPN and the camera is on Jeter in the dugout instead of the play on the field. :shrugs:

Heh, this actually makes me crack up, because I remember when the Yankees were in the WS in 2003, and Clay was singing the National Anthem in the first game. They showed him singing, and then went to a shot of Jeter. Now, any other time, I would have been saying "Yeah baby, keep the camera right there!", but instead I was yelling "NO, NO- put the camera back on CLAY!!!" LOL!

Oh! A's Fan here. *sigh* for this season. And no crying. But, Couchie, someone, tell me why they trade away all the good guys all the time? Wild guess...Billy Beane's $$$$$Ball and all that. Seems like I'm learning all new names every night.

The Yankees are my goto backup, and I've always loved Jeter, so I'll be rooting for them for the AL Wildcard.

I just plain love the game.

Any Cub fans out there? It is a thankless job, but someone has to do it. This season has, per ususal, been an up and down rollercoaster and I hate rollercoasters. I wasn't too sure about Lou Pinella at first; his reputation proceeded him and he just seemed a little to low-key at first...but I am slowly beginning to appreciate his baseball managing skills. Will the Cubs get to the post season this year? I've learned as a life long Cub fan not to get my hopes up and just take it game by game. Right now they have been pretty inconsistant and the Cardinals and Houston are really coming on strong; so unless they can get on a sustained winning streak, get better pitching (for all the hype about Zambrano he is 0-4 in August; partly due to his pitching and partly due to a sluggish offense), and start scoring runs, so as much as this pains me, I would have to say, I would be very surprised...2.5 game lead now, but that could be gone in the matter of a loss here and a win there.

Also, I have not been too impressed with Jason Kendall; the man can't throw anyone out at second base although he does seem to be hitting better. I think Michael Barrett was a better defensive catcher and hot headed though he was, I was sorry to see him go.

Kim

Ack! I just watched one our pitchers throw a one hit shut out.

He had a perfect game going into the 9th :scream:

But he walked the first batter in the 9th and gave up a hit to the next batter. Man that was nerve wracking to watch...but I'm still really proud of him. He's only 24 and he just rejoined the team after having a son a couple of weeks ago.

eta...I just read that his son was born 5 weeks prematurely and he said it helps to put it all into perspective.

Edited by jamar1700

But he walked the first batter in the 9th and gave up a hit to the next batter. Man that was nerve wracking to watch...but I'm still really proud of him. He's only 24 and he just rejoined the team after having a son a couple of weeks ago.

kinda like watching your boyfriend going for the 500K quesion? heee I'm so sad that my team is out of it but how can I complain. We've been so successful for so long. And injuries really really hurt us this year.

But yeah, turtletoo..it hurts being the farm team for the rest of the league. I miss Hudson. I miss Miggy.I miss Zito.. he lost his mojo across the bay.