Lets talk about pins

Ansamcw

To my fellow pin framers:

Visited a framing store recently to get a handle on how something like this could be done. When I told the person that we were dealing with about 100 or so pins of about 1 to 1.5 inches, she suggested that the frame for this would be huge...like 1 yard square, and that most people do not have walls big enough to handle it. So she suggested that it would be better to arrange the pins into relevant groups that could be used in smaller spaces on the same wall, or mixed with other things, or separated into different rooms.

She also said she had recently done a Disney poster in a frame and around the poster in the matting she attached all the pins the person had collected.

She was not selling me several special order frames instead of one, because she told me that ANY purchased frame, so long as it had about a 1/8 inch clearance between the glass and the backing, could accommodate these pins. In a readily available frame, she suggested that the backing be covered with material that best compliments the pins in the arrangement for that frame..and often black is not the best for this because some tend to be dark. She also said that doing it like this, you can always add a pin that was missing from your collection at any time.

Initially, I thought about surrounding the matting of a painting of Clay that I won at the Fla. gala with the pins from the tour. She indicated not a good idea. Posters are one thing; paintings another.

So there ya' go! Am sure there are things about framing that I missed, but it's a start. Hope it helps!

ETA: Couchie, glad I could help...but the new house idea sounds really good!

Edited by clayzedover

Thanks for all the info on the framing. I have the perfect solution. I'll build a new house with walls big enough to support my Clay pins habit!

Seriously, this is very useful information. And I think I have a few new ideas now to incorporate some Clay photos with the pins...

Clay checking in on the subject of pins...

PinThud.gif

BWAH....That is just too cute...thanks for sharing. I think this could actually happen with the number of pins we have...specially if you complete the JBT concert series...

*wispers*

Am I the only one who hasn't purchase a single Clay pin? Am I gonna feel nekkid at the concerts without a single pin on my shirt, hat, purse, etc....?

I am floored at the sheer number of Clay pins out there. I had no idea this pin-thing had gone to that level.

I'm sure you are not alone. This is what's so amazing about this...we are close to having 140 different pin designs...and the new pins are still getting a lot of orders. I do hope this is here to stay and that there will be CLay pins for most ocassions. Its just so much fun.

*wispers*

Am I the only one who hasn't purchase a single Clay pin?  Am I gonna feel nekkid at the concerts without a single pin on my shirt, hat, purse, etc....?

I am floored at the sheer number of Clay pins out there.  I had no idea this pin-thing had gone to that level.

Honestly, I'm not planning on wearing ANY of the pins I've bought...except maybe the FCA one. (How's that for sucking up?)

I really wasn't going to get into it, until I saw the design for the CH one and really liked it. Then, I said...no more...until I saw the design for the FCA one. Then the ClayDawgs one hit (and BTW, that sucker is HUGE!). I counted up the other night, and I think I've ordered about 25 of the designs available. However, I've ordered multiples, and will probably be trading soon. I think I'll be trading in person though...haven't decided about that yet.

I just came by to check out your new forum. Congrats - and great job on listing the pins!

I've only ordered the Clayversity, Jukebox and ClayDawgs (you are right, it is HUGE) pins. I haven't had time to buy pins since I'm busy making new ones for me or for others - which is a lot of fun.

I think I'm done though with making pin designs but don't hold me to that. LOL

Yeahhhh! I got my FCA pins in the mail today! Big smoochies to couchie and company!

Booo!!! The credit card bill with all the Paypal transactions also came in the mail today. Not so good.

eta: I love this post from the LBFCA that ties some of the earlier pins with the original photographs.

Also, at some point I hope the official merchandiser gets on board with the pin thing. The CD covers would make great little lapel pins.

Edited by bottlecap

Your animation of Clay and the pins is too cute!

I would like to see Clay's people come up with a neat blue jean jacket like I have seen at the Hard Rock Cafe. No Phoenix this time, please. Of course, right now it would be too hot to wear to an outdoor concert. I would like to wear my pins to the concert so I have been digging through my closet for a jean vest. I found one, but again I think it may be too hot to wear. No baseball cap for me either. The metal might attract aliens...hee!

What great ideas about framing a poster with the pins :)

Lucia, glad to hear that you will be at Fraze and Indy - hope to see you there.

The pins have become overwhelming now. Hope some people save their ideas for JNT deux

Just got an invoice for a pin and had to *gulp* at the price. Need to add a different cc to paypal :D

Lucia couldn't you partner with someone here in the states that will take care of the mailing and packaging. That is what was so great about having a partner in taking care of this. I live in Canada so the mailing wouldn't be practical on my side. So Couchie had to take care of all those. But what I did was to organize the orders as they come in so that it would be much easier for her during packing. I didn;t feel so useless and we didn't feel so harrassed all the time. Although I hope its not too stressful for Couchie now as she sends them off in the mail. <_<

Anyway, I hope we get to see your pin...you could still put it up on FCA...I'm sure it will be a hot item during concert trading...

Ansa, I have no time to do it right now, between my work and getting ready to fly to the USA. So I´ll only trade them. I will put it on FCA as sson as I have the confirmation from the manufacturer.

Looking at the dates and the concerts coming up, I posted on CB and actually begged that pin designers stop making them for these concerts and begin to concentrate on the JNT2. Got a few "seconds" on the post as well.

It is getting hard enough with the money, but now that many of us will be "on the road again" (ah....I lurve the sound of that....) we are going to miss out on those last minute additions. It's been difficult enough when you can SEE what is available and they sell out in 25 minutes...but when you are not even able to SEE them, it just sucks.

Hopefully, things will taper off for a while and every effort will be put into the Christmas pins, because now that we know more about what we are doing, we can do it even better. The pins are getting more intricate and I can't wait to see what else the designers have in store for us.....but not for a while. OK? Please?

****waves white flag in total surrender****

I'm with you, Clayzydover! The pins are WONDERFUL and some of the newer ones are simply awesome. BUT . . . as fun as this has been, reality has begun to set in, and you're right -- we need to save some money for travel, lodging, food, Clay merchandise at the Concerts, etc.

I think any NEW pin designs should be held until the Fall for the JNT -- we will have renewed interest, and MORE IMPORTANTY, a little $ in our bank accounts (hopefully). . .

Anyone else feel the same way?

I think what I can do is when people are going to put up a new pin...I can ask them to consider putting it out twice in the year, now and then they can re-issue it after the concerts or before JNT, or they can consider taking names for a waiting list. At the moment I think most of the pins coming out are from smaller groups or individuals who haven't done this before and are simply getting inspired by all the pins out there. What's incredible is that the demand is still pretty high, new pin makers are still getting lots of response.

I certainly know what you mean...I have spent enough money on pins that could have been used to pay for a couple of hotel nights. But I'm still enjoying it all. What I'm doing now is buying just the pins that scream out BUY ME NOW...in other words the ones I really love. I have bought about 40 different pins now ...at least 2 of each, sometimes more. So I have pins that I can use to trade to get the ones I don't have. And that's what I'll be conentrating on now. And I really hope to find some of those elusive ones while I'm out and about at the pre and post and concert festivities.

I really want one of each pin issued. Don't even ask...am not sure I can explain it to myself (HA HA). And all my friends are going to the same shows, so we can't even use a "buddy" system.

If pins are issued during the tour, I will surely miss out. And chances of trading in person would not be available then either. It would be nice if some accommodation could be found for us pin "whackos" but, understandably, it would be difficult to do.

I really want one of each pin issued. Don't even ask...am not sure I can explain it to myself (HA HA). And all my friends are going to the same shows, so we can't even use a "buddy" system.

If pins are issued during the tour, I will surely miss out. And chances of trading in person would not be available then either. It would be nice if some accommodation could be found for us pin "whackos" but, understandably, it would be difficult to do.

I not sure that the trading will slow down with the show starting because I probably have at least half of my pins yet to receive. Some are actually scheduled to be delivered in mid-August. It almost wants me to add on the last concert but then again who knows who will have pins left to trade then? I think the trading will go on for quite some time, even into the Christmas concerts.

I'm wondering if the pin frenzy is just gonna keep going all the way through The Joyful Noise Tour? It doesn't seem to be slowing much and well it's almost time to start designs for the Christmas Tour. Considering how long it takes to produce these pins after getting proofs and if the Tour starts in Nov, and if fans want them in hand before tour then you're looking at Sept for designs and possibly Oct for production/deliveries which would be in time for the Christmas Tours. Whew! Is this stuff crazy or what? :blink:

I'm sure this is going to continue through the Christmas Tour and beyond. There are just so many of us that are really enjoying collecting all the pins, although I may have to get a second job! I'm really looking forward to seeing the Christmas designs all these talented people come up with.

When I started this back in June there wasn't that many pins and I thought I wouldn't go more than a couple dozen, but now I have over 100 pins. The cost of each doesn't seem like much, until you add it up! (I can't bring myself to actually add it up). I am thankful that I bought the LARGE pin bag. So, bring on the Christmas pins......and I'm off to empty the change jar (anybody have any penny rollers?)