classic titles

kc01

I'm all about the old novels!! I was wondering who else loves the classics just like I do? My favorites so far would have to be gone with the wind and Little women!!

Movies.............because I cannot concentrate reading these days, too much stress.......I have been ordering Netflex) all the Jane Austen books that have been made into movies. Persuation, Pride & Prejudice and a lot of the PBS BBC series. Love those. Our gang in Nashville also watched the Dawson's Creek series and are not into watching 24. Many pj parties have brought lots of laughs, after Clack, we do other stuff. It's saved us these last few MONTHS.

I love little Women and the whole series till the Jo's Boys.

I also like classic titles....I love Jane austin novels...I think its very innovative for its time.

My son and I love all of the Jane Austin. How about the Bronte Sisters? Can you imagine Clay as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, especially with his new long dark hair. I'd be Kathy and haunt him!!!!!!!!

If you want to go way back, try Ben Hur. Have you ever read "Of Human Bondage" by Somerset Maughm?

My son, Nick, is voting for Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, if you have ten years to spare to read it, or just go to the musical. lol :rolleyes:

Sorry,,,can't get into the Bronte sisters...

I didn;t read withering Heights but tried to watch the movie and found it very disturbing. I just don't get that kind of obsessive love. My brother was the one who tried to get me hooked into the classics. He tried to get me to read Hose of Seven gables when I was 13, I remember really rebelling and it took me the whole summer to finish it...don;t remember what happened.

there is one Classic that he made me read that became one of my favorite novels of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird.

I also like classic titles....I love Jane austin novels...I think its very innovative for its time.

My son and I love all of the Jane Austin. How about the Bronte Sisters? Can you imagine Clay as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, especially with his new long dark hair. I'd be Kathy and haunt him!!!!!!!!

If you want to go way back, try Ben Hur. Have you ever read "Of Human Bondage" by Somerset Maughm?

My son, Nick, is voting for Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, if you have ten years to spare to read it, or just go to the musical. lol :rolleyes:

oh my!! I would love to see Clay play that! that would be awesome!! Les miserables is a great novel! and I love the Ben Hur movie, but never read the book yet :D

oh my!! I would love to see Clay play that! that would be awesome!! Les miserables is a great novel! and I love the Ben Hur movie, but never read the book yet :D

Talking about classics. How about Charles Dickins? Except some of them are tough. I could never get into Bleak House, much less finish it. Then there's Ernest Hemingway, but I really don't like his stories, but his style is straighforward and clean. I visited his Key West house last summer and found it interesting. His life was wild and his marriages rocky. His last wife was able to put up with him though. There are 60 cats roaming the place, descendents of a cat given to him by a sea captain. They all have names from the 50s. When we were there, Marilyn Monroe had just died the week before. :blink:

Little Women....yes

Gone With The Wind....Yes

Dickens...Yes!

I also read The House of The Seven Gables when I was about 13 or 14 and have no idea what it was about...The Scarlett Letter is a good one to read...that one I think was way of ahead of its time.

I collect children's books, so those are really the classics I read...Nancy Drew, The Bobbsey Twins, Five Little Peppers Series not to mention Alice In Wonderland, Bambi, Pinocchio, etc.

The only Bronte book I have read is Wuthering Heights and I found it rather dark and disturbing, not much of a love story.

I love mysteries so Ellery Queen and Agatha Christie are also on my bookshelf.

Kim

Oh I downloaded a bunch of Jane Austen audiobooks from librivox.com. I guess this is a volunteer group who makes audiobooks from public domain books...so a lot of classics. The readers are just not as good as the pros...but its a great resourse.

I also watched Becoming Jane. I really liked it...I can believe that this could be how her life evolved. I thought Anne hathaway was a great choice as Jane.

L

Little Women....yes

Gone With The Wind....Yes

Dickens...Yes!

I also read The House of The Seven Gables when I was about 13 or 14 and have no idea what it was about...The Scarlett Letter is a good one to read...that one I think was way of ahead of its time.

I collect children's books, so those are really the classics I read...Nancy Drew, The Bobbsey Twins, Five Little Peppers Series not to mention Alice In Wonderland, Bambi, Pinocchio, etc.

The only Bronte book I have read is Wuthering Heights and I found it rather dark and disturbing, not much of a love story.

I love mysteries so Ellery Queen and Agatha Christie are also on my bookshelf.

Kim

ONG when I was 13 my brother made me read house of seven gables...he said it was good for my literary development...didn't get it either.

I just listened to To Kill a Mockingbird...one of my most favorite books...I have read this so many times yet it does not get old. I was listening to it just when the booing incident occured...it was very illuminating for me at the time.

Oh my! Classics! :wub: I tell you, reading a great old classic, especially if it's leather-bound with gilt edges and gilt lettering on the cover, is better than sex to me. (Don't tell DH I said that.)

My favorites are definitely Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and the Austen books, The Good Earth, Rebecca, Silas Marner, The Scarlett Letter. Anna Karenina, Little Women, Robinson Crusoe, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

I facilitate a book discussion group at my library and we take turns picking the book each month. But we set aside one month each year to devote to a classic. Last year we read Silas Marner. I hadn't read it since I was about 11, and it was fantastic! This year we read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

The great thing about classics is that they have an enduring message that can be pertinent for all ages, throughout the ages. As we age and our lifestyles and circumstances change, the way we receive the story also changes. A classic you read 40 years ago will speak to you in a completely different voice than the same book today. I read Wuthering Heights about once every 10 years or so and it leaves me with a different feeling each time.

Gone With the Wind I think really had a huge impact on the type of woman I strove to be. I loved her 'don't take no shit offa no one' attitude. I read it the first time when I was somewhere around 12 and have read it at least 5 or 6 times. I wanted to be Scarlett. Not because she was popular and got to wear cool clothes, but because she was smart and strong and conniving and most of all, a survivor.

Oh my! Classics! :wub: I tell you, reading a great old classic, especially if it's leather-bound with gilt edges and gilt lettering on the cover, is better than sex to me. (Don't tell DH I said that.)

My favorites are definitely Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and the Austen books, The Good Earth, Rebecca, Silas Marner, The Scarlett Letter. Anna Karenina, Little Women, Robinson Crusoe, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Thus the name, Bookwhore, good choice on your part.

I also loved Anna Karenina and recently puchased the book to re-read. I loved the series made for Masterpiece Theater. Oh, how I miss those good old Masterpiece Theaters.