Harry, Harry, Harry.... it's all about potter!

Ansamcw

Its almost here...2 more days till book six...I am sooo excited!!!!

okay discuss everything potter here...BUT we do not have spoiler tags as of now...so please put a huge red SPOILER WITHIN if you cannot help but put a little BIT of spoiler in your post.

WARNING....if you do not want to be spoiled...please stay away from this topic until you read the book.

so have fun!!!!

I'm reading and I'm finding it to be very different from previous books, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. So far, this book is lighter in tone and, in parts, downright hilaroius. <g> Some of the....uh.....side plot stuff is not really what I was hoping for, but it's not a big deal. Is that vague enough for ya all? <g> I'm about 2/3 of the way through and over all it's good. It doesn't have the level of energy of some of the previous books, but that could change in a heart beat. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. <g>

ETA: WARNING: BEYOND THIS POINT THERE ARE HUGE BOOK SPOILERS, SO KEEP OUT UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND HAVING MAJOR PLOT POINTS REVEALED!!!!!!!

::::::sob::::: I finished. :::sob::: My eyes hurt from crying.

My honest review of the book is that I don't know if I can give an honest review without reading it again. <g> It's hard when you go in with high expectations. There were times at the beginning of the book where I wasn't sure if this was going to be as good as previous books - but damn, it was *funny* in spots. Harry is so....grown up and smart assy and clever. Then, somewhere around the middle it takes the typical JKR turn. It always seems that her books start out with a lot of random stuff, little bits and pieces that don't seem that important - and this book is no different. Then suddenly, everything starts to jell and make sense and get exciting....and then devastating.

All in all, I think it's a great book that will get better on the second read. Despite what I say above, it is MUCH lighter in tone than the two previous books, mainly because of Harry himself. He's becomming a man, and not so much the hormonal teen. Although there's a bit of that there too. <g>

Well, I look forward to talking about it with anyone who wants to discuss it.

::::::sob:::::  I finished. :::sob:::  My eyes hurt from crying.

SPOILERS AHEAD.... SPOILERS AHEAD!

Oh my. Me too. I started sobbing for some reason when Tonks told Lupin she liked him and couldn't stop crying until long after I had finished reading.

I litterally gasped during that scene on the Tower at the end. I had heard rumors of that person's death before the book came out and it certainly made sense for the continuation of the story, but it was still shocking to read how it all played out.

I cant believe Harry may not go back to Hogwarts next year (if it is open). I understand what he has to accomplish, but it will be weird reading about his 7th year and him possibly not being at school at all.

And a thought hit me late last night. R.A.B? Regulus Black, Sirius' brother. He was a death eater and knew Voldermort and even the note indicated that RAB would probably be dead by the time Voldermort retrieved the locket. Could it be possible that the real necklace horcrux is in 12 Grimwauld Place, which Harry now owns?

I was hoping to learn more about Lily and the connection of Harry's green eyes, which must be important based on the number of times it has been brought up in the past. I guess we will have to wait until the 7th book for that info.

::::::sob:::::  I finished. :::sob:::  My eyes hurt from crying.

Oh my. Me too. I started sobbing for some reason when Tonks told Lupin she liked him and couldn't stop crying until long after I had finished reading.

I LOVED that part. It's so funny, because I read fanfic and I could never figure out where they got the Remus/Tonks pairing from - and now it's canon. <g>

I litterally gasped during that scene on the Tower at the end.  I had heard rumors of that person's death before the book came out and it certainly made sense for the continuation of the story, but it was still shocking to read how it all played out.

Me too, to all of it - the rumors, the gasp, everything. I wonder if all is as it seems, though. I'm thinking of the way she wrote the second chapter. It's like she told what was going to happen (although I though it was about Harry), and then made such a big deal about Dumbledore trusting him. Then he was so adamant about finding Snape. I have a theory. <g> My theory is that Snape and Dumbledore planned that out all in advance. Oh, I think he's really dead, but I think that was part of the plan.

I cant believe Harry may not go back to Hogwarts next year (if it is open).  I understand what he has to accomplish, but it will be weird reading about his 7th year and him possibly not being at school at all.

That will be interesting. And it sounds like Ron and Hermione are going to be with him. I don't think we've seen the last of Ginny, either. I think Harry is very noble, but I think he needs her (and Neville and Luna) - all of those six bring something different to the table, not to mention that Harry loves them - and that's what this book was all about. Love. Which also makes me think that Snape and Dumbledore had a plan - why else the full body bind on Harry? Harry could have easily saved Dumbledore's life. Speaking of love - what did you think of Ron and Hermione? I don't think that will last - they couldn't even get it started.

And a thought hit me late last night.  R.A.B?  Regulus Black, Sirius' brother.  He was a death eater and knew Voldermort and even the note indicated that RAB would probably be dead by the time Voldermort retrieved the locket.  Could it be possible that the real necklace horcrux is in 12 Grimwauld Place, which Harry now owns?

Yeah, I saw him mentioned on mugglenet as a possibility. And I would hope he had destroyed it like he said he would. But somehow, that doesn't seem likely.

I was hoping to learn more about Lily and the connection of Harry's green eyes, which must be important based on the number of times it has been brought up in the past.  I guess we will have to wait until the 7th book for that info.

Well, what I find interesting is that Ginny has red hair like his mother, and he looks like his father except for having his mother's eyes. I wonder how intentional that is? Wouldn't Ginny have been born right around the time that Harry's mom and dad were murdered? I have no clue if that means anything at all. I found this book great in terms of Voldemort backstory and some backstory on what happened with Harry's mom and dad. Hell, I loved the book, but I have to read it again to be able to really decide how I feel about some parts of it. <g>

Me too, to all of it - the rumors, the gasp, everything.  I wonder if all is as it seems, though.  I'm thinking of the way she wrote the second chapter. It's like she told what was going to happen (although I though it was about Harry), and then made such a big deal about Dumbledore trusting him.  Then he was so adamant about finding Snape. I have a theory. <g>  My theory is that Snape and Dumbledore planned that out all in advance. Oh, I think he's really dead, but I think that was part of the plan.
We are sharing a brain. It all seems to convienent. I re-read the part when Harry was chasing Snape out of Hogwarts and noticed Snape's reactions to Harry's "coward" taunts and even how Snape was still trying to teach Harry about non-verbal curses while deflecting all Harry's attempts. I agree that it is possible Snape and Dumbledore planned it out (or at least D told S to kill him if it came to it).

That will be interesting. And it sounds like Ron and Hermione are going to be with him. I don't think we've seen the last of Ginny, either. I think Harry is very noble, but I think he needs her (and Neville and Luna) - all of those six bring something different to the table, not to mention that Harry loves them - and that's what this book was all about. Love. 
I think we will see the 6 together during parts of book 7, especially hunting the remaining Horcruxes. With having to locate them and get through all the protection surrounding each one, I could see the group working all that together (kinda reminds me of H/R/H finding the Philospher's Stone in the first book). I do think Harry will go it alone against Voldermort though, at least at the start.

Speaking of love - what did you think of Ron and Hermione? I don't think that will last - they couldn't even get it started.
I have never been a big Ron/Hermonie fan. They just dont seem that well suited for each other. I was thirlled however, about Harry and Ginny. I love the self-confident and vocal Ginny and I think her and Harry are good together. I hope Harry survives book 7 only so he can hook up with Ginny in the end.

Well, what I find interesting is that Ginny has red hair like his mother, and he looks like his father except for having his mother's eyes. I wonder how intentional that is?  Wouldn't Ginny have been born right around the time that Harry's mom and dad were murdered?  I have no clue if that means anything at all. 
I picked up that Ginny looked an awful lot like Harry's mom and the constant mentions that Harry looks so much like his dad. It is almost like it is a repeat of his mom and dad. Plus Ginny even has the same characteristics as Harry's mom..... good skills and funny. From reading the HP boards, Ginny was born in August which makes her just over a year younger than Harry. I never thought about her birth in relation to Harry's folks death. Interesting.

I found this book great in terms of Voldemort backstory and some backstory on what happened with Harry's mom and dad.
We certainly got the lowdown on Riddle/Voldermort's backstory, which was great. I figured something would have to be done to make sure Voldermort was mortal before he could be vanquished by Harry.

I keep wondering if there is a way to vanquish Voldermort without Harry having to kill him? Dumbledore was adamant about Harry's strength being his pure sole, but then murder leads to the ripping of the sole apart. Plus the tie in to PoA and when Harry said to Sirius and Lupin that he didnt think his dad would want his mates committing murder. Harry cant even work those unforgivable curses correctly. Add to that.... we have several of Voldermort's gang that may not be 100% on the evil side. Petigrew owes Harry a life debt, Draco was certainly unstable on the roof top (and I think would have accepted Dumbledore's proposition if given more time), and the whole Snape is still good but acted on Dumbledore's order to kill him thing.

I usually read very fast though the first time and then go back and read the book again more slowly.

We are sharing a brain.  It all seems to convienent.  I re-read the part when Harry was chasing Snape out of Hogwarts and noticed Snape's reactions to Harry's "coward" taunts and even how Snape was still trying to teach Harry about non-verbal curses while deflecting all Harry's attempts.  I agree that it is possible Snape and Dumbledore planned it out (or at least D told S to kill him if it came to it). 

Yep, yep, yep - and you noticed he never actually HURT Harry. Just deflected his curses. Yeah, he said he was supposed to be Voldemort's, but it seems to me that if Snape were truely bad, he would have no problem hurting Harry. Many of those very painful curses don't lead to death.

That will be interesting. And it sounds like Ron and Hermione are going to be with him. I don't think we've seen the last of Ginny, either. I think Harry is very noble, but I think he needs her (and Neville and Luna) - all of those six bring something different to the table, not to mention that Harry loves them - and that's what this book was all about. Love. 
I think we will see the 6 together during parts of book 7, especially hunting the remaining Horcruxes. With having to locate them and get through all the protection surrounding each one, I could see the group working all that together (kinda reminds me of H/R/H finding the Philospher's Stone in the first book). I do think Harry will go it alone against Voldermort though, at least at the start.

Yeah, it will be Harry alone with Voldemort - but I do think that the rest of them will be around through the next book.

I have never been a big Ron/Hermonie fan.  They just dont seem that well suited for each other.  I was thirlled however, about Harry and Ginny.  I love the self-confident and vocal Ginny and I think her and Harry are good together.  I hope Harry survives book 7 only so he can hook up with Ginny in the end.

On some boards they're acting like Ron and Hermione are together and I didn't take that from the book AT ALL. Yeah, they were comforting each other at the end, and Harry seems to think they like each other, but what the hell does Harry know when it comes to girls? Although I LOVED the scene after the quidditch match where he just kisses Ginny. That was romantic. <g> I, too, love the Harry/Ginny - and I loved how Harry seems to have grown in this book. Ginny has always been cool. Hermione? I once had hopes she would end up with Harry but, sorry Hermy fans, she was a BITCH in this book. There were several instances of me disliking her intensely. I think it was her infatuation with Ron and her jealousy of Harry scoring higher than her that brought it out in her. She seemed to improve towards the end, especially after Ginny told her to shut up. <g> In all the previous books, it kind of seemed like she didn't really want anyone around either of her boys - she planned a meeting with Harry when he had a date with Cho? Her rather....carefully blank talk after his "wet" kiss with Cho? And the way she stuck so closely with him through GoF and OotP - even sort of at Ron's expense. Anyway, what I'm getting at is I wonder if she just wants to keep both of them sort of to herself, but she didn't mind Ginny because Ginny is really close to her. Know what I mean? There was an interlude at the beginning of the book that was kind of hinting at Harry/Hermione - where Slugworth told her that Harry said she was the top of their year ( she was SO happy about that) and how pleased Harry was that she remembered his speech in one of the DA meetings. I wonder if Hermione just sees herself as not good enough for Harry which is why she focused more on Ron. Just another theory I have.

I keep wondering if there is a way to vanquish Voldermort without Harry having to kill him?  Dumbledore was adamant about Harry's strength being his pure sole, but then murder leads to the ripping of the sole apart.

Would it be murder? Or self defense? I think there is an important difference. One problem I had was that Harry used a dark curse against Draco, but only after Draco attempted an unforgivable on him. Why did Harry take the brunt of the punishment for that? Isn't self defense allowed? Or was it because Harry didn't want to let on that he didn't know what the curse he used was, because then he would have to tell where he learned it - therefore he took the punishment? Hell. Anyway, remember, Dumbledore also said that it was Voldemort that was fullfilling the prophesy, regardless of what Harry wanted to do or not do. Therefore, Harry has no choice but to fullfill the prophesy as well. That was a very excellent discussion on the prophesy and what it means - yes, Harry being the man he is would still take on the quest, but even if he ran away, Voldemort would still come after him, which would fullfill the prophesy, whether Harry likes it or not. Voldemort is a murderer, Harry would be a defender of the light. I think JKR was trying very hard to make that distinction.

Plus the tie in to PoA and when Harry said to Sirius and Lupin that he didnt think his dad would want his mates committing murder.

Well, Peter was unarmed at the time and they were going to kill him for vengence. I think circumstances are critical.

Harry cant even work those unforgivable curses correctly.  Add to that.... we have several of Voldermort's gang that may not be 100% on the evil side.  Petigrew owes Harry a life debt, Draco was certainly unstable on the roof top (and I think would have accepted Dumbledore's proposition if given more time), and the whole Snape is still good but acted on Dumbledore's order to kill him thing. 

I don't necessarily think an unforgivable will be involved in the defeat of Voldemort - I think there will be more to it. And you're right - there are a lot of questionable figures on Voldemort's side. I think it will all come into play. Too bad we have to wait so freakin' long. <g>

I usually read very fast though the first time and then go back and read the book again more slowly.

I'm already on my second read through. <g>

On some boards they're acting like Ron and Hermione are together and I didn't take that from the book AT ALL. Yeah, they were comforting each other at the end, and Harry seems to think they like each other, but what the hell does Harry know when it comes to girls?
Yeah, I never saw that Ron and Hermy were actually a couple at the end. Just friends supporting each other.

Although I LOVED the scene after the quidditch match where he just kisses Ginny. That was romantic. <g>  I, too, love the Harry/Ginny - and I loved how Harry seems to have grown in this book.  Ginny has always been cool.  Hermione? I once had hopes she would end up with Harry but, sorry Hermy fans, she was a BITCH in this book. There were several instances of me disliking her intensely. I think it was her infatuation with Ron and her jealousy of Harry scoring higher than her that brought it out in her. She seemed to improve towards the end, especially after Ginny told her to shut up. <g> 
Amen. At one point in the book I was like, wow, Hermonie has turned into a complete jealous beeyotch. Yeah, Harry was using Snape's potion book to help him, but after 5 years of suffering under Snape in potions, you would think she wouldnt begrudge him a little success in the subject.

In all the previous books, it kind of seemed like she didn't really want anyone around either of her boys - she planned a meeting with Harry when he had a date with Cho? Her rather....carefully blank talk after his "wet" kiss with Cho? And the way she stuck so closely with him through GoF and OotP - even sort of at Ron's expense.  Anyway, what I'm getting at is I wonder if she just wants to keep both of them sort of to herself, but she didn't mind Ginny because Ginny is really close to her. Know what I mean?  There was an interlude at the beginning of the book that was kind of hinting at Harry/Hermione - where Slugworth told her that Harry said she was the top of their year ( she was SO happy about that) and how pleased Harry was that she remembered his speech in one of the DA meetings.  I wonder if Hermione just sees herself as not good enough for Harry which is why she focused more on Ron. Just another theory I have.
I have always wondered about that as well. JKR is giving us all the clues that Ron and Hermonie like each other, but just wont admit it. Yet, there are these very subtle clues that lead you to a possible Hermonie/Harry couple. But then, Hermonie was "beaming" at Harry after his kissed Ginny so I am not sure. It will be interesting with the upcoming Bill/Fleur wedding at the Burrow in book 7. I am sure that will bring up some discussions about future relationships and maybe even some regret from Harry about dumping (if you can call it that) Ginny.

Would it be murder? Or self defense? I think there is an important difference. One problem I had was that Harry used a dark curse against Draco, but only after Draco attempted an unforgivable on him. Why did Harry take the brunt of the punishment for that? Isn't self defense allowed?  Or was it because Harry didn't want to let on that he didn't know what the curse he used was, because then he would have to tell where he learned it - therefore he took the punishment? Hell. Anyway, remember, Dumbledore also said that it was Voldemort that was fullfilling the prophesy, regardless of what Harry wanted to do or not do.  Therefore, Harry has no choice but to fullfill the prophesy as well. That was a very excellent discussion on the prophesy and what it means - yes, Harry being the man he is would still take on the quest, but even if he ran away, Voldemort would still come after him, which would fullfill the prophesy, whether Harry likes it or not. Voldemort is a murderer, Harry would be a defender of the light. I think JKR was trying very hard to make that distinction.
I guess that is why I read the book slower the second time... to pick up these distinctions. You are right.... even if Harry runs, Voldy will eventually track him down and they will have to fight to the death.

I don't necessarily think an unforgivable will be involved in the defeat of Voldemort - I think there will be more to it.  And you're right - there are a lot of questionable figures on Voldemort's side. I think it will all come into play.
Oh I dont think Harry will kill Voldy with an unforgivable. I am expecting it to be something much simpler or even un-magical (maybe Gryffendor's sword) that does Voldermort in.

I was reading over in the Mugglenet forums and they found a reference in OotP when Harry and the gang were cleaning out Grimwauld place. In what looks like a simple throwaway comment, there was mention of finding a locket that couldnt be opened while they were cleaning. I suspect that along with the RAB clue will lead Harry and gang back to Grimwauld Place. However, Mungdunus Fletcher had been stealing stuff from the house and even Krecher had been trying to take things back in OotP. So the mystery wont be the lockett itself (well, they will have to open it once they get it), but who has it?

I also found it interesting that Ollivander (the wand store guy) disappeared. I suspect Voldermort wanted to know more about Harry's wand after the Triwizard Tournament graveyard events.

Too bad we have to wait so freakin' long. <g>
Oh my yes! At least two years for the conclusion. Argh!!!

I'm already on my second read through. <g>
I will wait a few days before starting the second round. Need a few days for it all to sink in.

Hermione? I once had hopes she would end up with Harry but, sorry Hermy fans, she was a BITCH in this book. There were several instances of me disliking her intensely. I think it was her infatuation with Ron and her jealousy of Harry scoring higher than her that brought it out in her. She seemed to improve towards the end, especially after Ginny told her to shut up. <g>  
Amen. At one point in the book I was like, wow, Hermonie has turned into a complete jealous beeyotch. Yeah, Harry was using Snape's potion book to help him, but after 5 years of suffering under Snape in potions, you would think she wouldnt begrudge him a little success in the subject.

Fer real. I really don't think of it as cheating either, like she seemed to imply. He was actually taking a risk because he had no way of knowing (initially) if the instructions were any good. And her reaction to Harry (supposedly) slipping Ron that potion? Hypocritical beyotch!! She confunded that other player!!! Even after she discovered that Harry didn't even DO it, she tried to attack him with it. Pissed me off. At least Harry is standing up to her. Then at the end, when it turned out that Harry had been right about nearly everything, she had to bring up how she was right about the book - sort of. Beyotch.

I read on one of the other boards - I have NO idea how true it is - that JKR said Krum isn't really out of the picture. That is what set Ron off to begin with, so that could get interesting as well.

I have always wondered about that as well.  JKR is giving us all the clues that Ron and Hermonie like each other, but just wont admit it.  Yet, there are these very subtle clues that lead you to a possible Hermonie/Harry couple.  But then, Hermonie was "beaming" at Harry after his kissed Ginny so I am not sure.  It will be interesting with the upcoming Bill/Fleur wedding at the Burrow in book 7.  I am sure that will bring up some discussions about future relationships and maybe even some regret from Harry about dumping (if you can call it that) Ginny. 

It's also possible that she doesn't realize how she feels about Harry. Not to mention that, at 16, kids can be fickle. I don't see Harry that way, because I think that in many ways he's older than his years - but I think Ron and Hermione could be susceptible to that. I wouldn't have included Hermione in that comment prior to this book. <g>

Oh I dont think Harry will kill Voldy with an unforgivable.  I am expecting it to be something much simpler or even un-magical (maybe Gryffendor's sword) that does Voldermort in.

I was thinking of the sword as well. Heh.

I was reading over in the Mugglenet forums and they found a reference in OotP when Harry and the gang were cleaning out Grimwauld place.  In what looks like a simple throwaway comment, there was mention of finding a locket that couldnt be opened while they were cleaning.  I suspect that along with the RAB clue will lead Harry and gang back to Grimwauld Place.  However, Mungdunus Fletcher had been stealing stuff from the house and even Krecher had been trying to take things back in OotP.  So the mystery wont be the lockett itself (well, they will have to open it once they get it), but who has it?

Yeah, along with the other three Horcruxes. This has turned into quite a quest for Harry. And the seriousness (and an almost lack of patience) that Dumbledore had in some of his conversations with Harry makes me even more suspicious about Dumbledore and Snape.

I also found it interesting that Ollivander (the wand store guy) disappeared.  I suspect Voldermort wanted to know more about Harry's wand after the Triwizard Tournament graveyard events. 

Good point!! That will be very interesting to find out.

Too bad we have to wait so freakin' long. <g>
Oh my yes! At least two years for the conclusion. Argh!!!

Somebody said that JKR said on Dateline last night that she has already started writing because she knows that she's going to have to deliver the big one. <g>

Here is my post from another board...why type it up twice..lol.

My observations so far

Snape is so not evil...Draco either

My friends are convinced Snape was an evil bastard from the start and this has proved it. To me and many others...JKR left all kinds of clues to think otherwise.

1. When Draco's mom and crazy aunt went to see Snape he took the Unbreakable Vow to protect Draco on his mission, and while he was saying it Narcissa added the requirement that if Draco could not do what was asked of him that Snape would complete the mission and do it in Draco place. JKR made the point to mention that at this point Snape's hands jerked back as if he were going to pull away (he was not expecting that portion. Plus a good writer never puts anything like that into the book just as a throwaway sentence..it was meant to be noted. Yes..I'm a freak shut up*g*)....but with Crazy Bella there who did not trust him...he had no choice but to take the oath. He had to prove his trustworthiness to them both. His cover depended upon it.

2. When Harry was talking to Ron about overhearing Snape and Malfoy arguing and mentioned that Snape took and Unbreakable Oath to protect Malfoy...Ron registered surprise and mentioned that and Unbreakable Oath was just that. That failure to complete this oath resulted in the oath breakers death. Not good for Snape or Dumbledore if they want to continue having an in with The Dark Lord. So Snape HAD to complete his oath.

3. When Harry visits Hagrid he finds out that Hagrid overhears an argument between Snape and Dumbledore. Snape is upset about something and is and the Headmaster seems very serious. He hears Dumbledore telling Snape that "he must do what he has to"...and something about investigating within Slytherin.

4. We saw that Draco tried before to hatch some murder plot and failed. Snape was aware of them we can see by their arguments and such throughout the book… and toward the end in the Hospital Wing it is mentioned that Snape was surprised at what was going on that night. Draco mentioned earlier that he hatched the cupboard/ Room of Requirement plot in secret and did not tell Snape because he thought Snape was trying to not only protect him…but steal his “glory” with the Dark Lord…which was why he was, to Draco, hampering his other plans. So Snape was surprised that night as well as anyone else.

5. Dumbledore is not dumb by any means. He trusts Snape beyond a shadow of a doubt. He keeps stressing it. It is plain that something as simple as Snape playing up being remorseful about James and Lily would not be enough for him to put so much in the hands of Snape. Even when injured and weak...he was calling for Snape. He trusts Snape implicitly. No, I trust Dumbledore’s words. Harry is blinded by his hatred and suspicion of Snape just like Snape is blinded to Harry because of his history with James and Sirius. Snape is a bastard for sure.. and petty...but..no I don't see him as evil.

In Conclusion, Snape told the headmaster what occurred with the women and knew full well that Draco's mission was the Kill the headmaster. He knew that if Draco failed...he would HAVE to complete the boy's mission...else die....because of the Unbreakable Oath. Knowing the Headmaster...he would have not hesitated to sacrifice himself if need be. I can see him deciding that he ...in the scheme of things...was not the most important. He said as much in the book to Harry. In the scheme of things...he is not going to be the most important. Snape's role with the DE is important. He is in the inner circle. After this he will be even more entrusted. He can work from within and help the cause when it comes down to the final battle. Dumbledore always looks at the bigger picture. And to him...if he had to die to bring about the desired result... So be it.

Malfoy....there is hope for him yet:

1. Malfoy has been falling apart all semester. He is skinnier and paler and quieter than usual....as Harry noticed during his obsessive study of him. He gets worse and worse as the book goes on. He starts of boasting to his friend about an important mission...but really Malfoy has always been about getting attention and feeling important. It is how he gets a long. He had a need for glory and likes to impress ...'bastardy' (not a word for sure)...but not evil *g* He's all talk. A little boy trying to impress. That's what he always was.

2. Moaning Myrtle mentioned when Harry and Ron visit the boy's bathroom that a boy comes in there and talks to her. She says he is sensitive, and was being bullied and that he comes in there to cry because he is sad and lonely. Later Harry come upon Malfoy with Mrytle...crying. And muttering how "he can't do it"...but he has to because "he'll kill me." Malfoy is a smug bastard yes and goes about yelling and puffing up his chest a lot ...but really...he's a 16 year old kid whose parents are crazy. His dad is in jail for being an evil bastard and his mom is working for the Dark Lord. He does not have much choices and he has never been particularly brave. He fouled up a couple tires to Kill Dumbledore before with the necklace and beer....the boy does not have it in him to kill anyone. That says a lot. I'm sure his dad never had the problem. It says something that even with the influences he grew up with...he could not do it when the time came. In fact...he was going to take Dumbledore's offer. ...until the Death Eater came in and took the matter out of his hands.

All is not lost with Malfoy. Now with Snape there to protect him... He just might make it out of this series alive, and most likely stay out of Azkaban. He'll still probably hate Harry though. ..no helping that *g*.

So I am looking forward to the next book and see how these two turn out. Exciting.

As for others;

R/Hr: Annoying. Those two should stop the nonsense and get on with it! HR was a total beyotch the entire book. The lectures, the disapproving speeches. Do shut up girl. And Ron is an idiot. And so touchy. But at least they are good friend to Harry. Can't find a more loyal group for sure.

H/G; Hmm, don't know how I feel about this yet. I'm stuck between Meh and I guess it's nice. *g* But Harry is not very self ware is he. You have to hit him over a head with a brick before he notices anything. All this time and now he realizes that he likes Ginny. Just like a guy...does not want you until he sees you with someone else.

Other than that very enjoyable. Lots of good laughs. Money well spent. :D <<_---had to try it once.

5. Dumbledore is not dumb by any means. He trusts Snape beyond a shadow of a doubt. He keeps stressing it. It is plain that something as simple as Snape playing up being remorseful about James and Lily would not be enough for him to put so much in the hands of Snape. Even when injured and weak...he was calling for Snape. He trusts Snape implicitly. No, I trust Dumbledore’s words. Harry is blinded by his hatred and suspicion of Snape just like Snape is blinded to Harry because of his history with James and Sirius. Snape is a bastard for sure.. and petty...but..no I don't see him as evil.

While I agree with almost all of your points and do think there is much more to the story, I don't think it's right to say that Harry is "blinded by his hatred and suspicion of Snape." No, he SAW Snape kill Dumbledore with his own two eyes. That is very, VERY powerful - I don't think there is a 16 year old in the world who would see Snape kill Dumbledore and think "Oh, he's really a good guy and is just faking it." No, he's going on a whole pile of evidence and isn't privy to what went on the house at the beginning of the story, or the full argument between Snape and Dumbledore - not to mention that Snape is responsible for the death of his parents. And he's not the only one who believes Snape guilty as charged - the whole Order in the hospital believes it. Now, given some time to think about it, he MAY reach the same conclusion as we do - but he would be highly foolish to NOT treat Snape as a guilty man. The risk is too high for Harry himself. Know what I mean? Now is not the time to trust easily. I would go so far as to say that both Dumbledore and Snape plan for Harry and the rest to believe him a bad guy. Voldemort is an Occlumens too, afterall.

I do agree with your conclusion though. <g>

Malfoy....there is hope for him yet:

I don't think there's any question about this, the way it was written in the book. Clearly there is hope for Malfoy the Younger. <g>

R/Hr: Annoying. Those two should stop the nonsense and get on with it! HR was a total beyotch the entire book. The lectures, the disapproving speeches. Do shut up girl. And Ron is an idiot. And so touchy. But at least they are good friend to Harry. Can't find a more loyal group for sure.

If you read me and Buzzie, you can see we agree completely - except for them getting on with it. I think they should give it up. <g> I thought Ron had improved greatly from previous books, though.

H/G; Hmm, don't know how I feel about this yet. I'm stuck between Meh and I guess it's nice. *g* But Harry is not very self ware is he. You have to hit him over a head with a brick before he notices anything. All this time and now he realizes that he likes Ginny. Just like a guy...does not want you until he sees you with someone else.

Well, he has had a few other things on his mind. <g>

Snape is so not evil...Draco either

3. When Harry visits Hagrid he finds out that Hagrid overhears an argument between Snape and Dumbledore. Snape is upset about something and is and the Headmaster seems very serious. He hears Dumbledore telling Snape that "he must do what he has to"...and something about investigating within Slytherin.

I forgot about this argument between Snape and DD and it certainly adds to the argument that Snape is not Evil. I actually feel a bit sorry for Snape. To know that you might have to kill DD and you cant tell anyone it was planned.

Now I really want to know what the background is on this. What happened between Snape and DD in the past for DD to trust him so and for Snape to go so deep undercover. And yes, I think DD wanted Harry to see Snape kill him. Thus the immobilization. Not only for Harry to truely believe Snape is evil but to go and tell the rest of the Order that Snape killed DD.

But Harry is not very self ware is he. You have to hit him over a head with a brick before he notices anything. All this time and now he realizes that he likes Ginny. Just like a guy...does not want you until he sees you with someone else.
See I always thought Ginny purposely went out with Dean just to make Harry notice. She also went to the Ball in book 4 with Neville. I was thinking she might hit all the 6th year boys (except Ron of course) before Harry finally got a clue. And Ron seems even more clueless on girls than Harry does.

But I definately like Ginny more than Hermonie. Hermonie is loyal granted, but she did act like a beeyotch in this book. Ginny, to me, is a lot more self confident and stronger personality-wise. Heromine is book smart, but Ginny is street smart. And I dont think Harry will have much will-power with her after he sees her at Bill and Fleur's wedding.

While I agree with almost all of your points and do think there is much more to the story, I don't think it's right to say that Harry is "blinded by his hatred and suspicion of Snape."  No, he SAW Snape kill Dumbledore with his own two eyes. That is very, VERY powerful - I don't think there is a 16 year old in the world who would see Snape kill Dumbledore and think "Oh, he's really a good guy and is just faking it."  No, he's going on a whole pile of evidence and isn't privy to what went on the house at the beginning of the story, or the full argument between Snape and Dumbledore - not to mention that Snape is responsible for the death of his parents. And he's not the only one who believes Snape guilty as charged - the whole Order in the hospital believes it. Now, given some time to think about it, he MAY reach the same conclusion as we do - but he would be highly foolish to NOT treat Snape as a guilty man. The risk is too high for Harry himself. Know what I mean?  Now is not the time to trust easily.  I would go so far as to say that both Dumbledore and Snape plan for Harry and the rest to believe him a bad guy. Voldemort is an Occlumens too, afterall.

You see..this I understand. He is not privy to a lot of information when he see this and I would tink Snape was guiltly too. But I was mainly speaking about Harry's history with Snape. Harry is predisposed to believe anythign bad about Snape because of his feelings for him..infact Harry wants to believe Snape is some horrible bastard. Anything he find out that people ..mainly Dumbledore explains to him...he is always quick to jump to the worse possible conclusion...because he hates Snape. So yes, he is blinded by his feelings for Snape. Because of this he is more prone to block out any doubts he might have or any evidence that Dumbledore says may be true or anyone else say may be true about Snapes motive...because he does not want to beleive it. Instead he beleives that Dumbledore is being mislead. It is the same with Snape...now matter what Harry does....Snape is always the first to beleive the worst and put the worst motive bhind it...because Snape wants to beleive it. He sees Harry and he see James and Siruis's misdeeds against him...he does not see Harry...he see want he wants to see. This is what I meant. so yeah, I can understand them now thinking Snapes is evil after the events because no one knows what's going....but Harry was already predisposed to that view. ...because of his History with Snape. They are both very much alike maybe that's why they don't get along. *g*

If you read me and Buzzie, you can see we agree completely - except for them getting on with it. I think they should give it up. <g> I thought Ron had improved greatly from previous books, though.

Word. God..they got on my last nerve...but they provided some good laughs too on ocassion. But they need to shit....or get off the pot.

If you all go to mugglenet.con (I think that's the name) you can read an interview with Jo Rowling. You can all decide for yourselves if her comments mean that our theories about Snape and Dumbledore are wrong. I, personally, can't tell. She's being rather careful about what she says - except when it comes to Harry and Hermione. No chance in hell for that pairing. Ever. It's Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. Of course, after this last book, she doesn't deserve Harry. <g> Why yes, I can be vindictive. <g>

If you all go to mugglenet.con (I think that's the name) you can read an interview with Jo Rowling.  You can all decide for yourselves if her comments mean that our theories about Snape and Dumbledore are wrong. I, personally, can't tell.  She's being rather careful about what she says - except when it comes to Harry and Hermione. No chance in hell for that pairing. Ever. It's Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione.  Of course, after this last book, she doesn't deserve Harry. <g> Why yes, I can be vindictive. <g>

Yes, she certainly was vaugue about the Snape/Dumbledore thing. JKR is good at leading folks down one path and then surprising us, so I wouldnt be surprised if Snape is indeed evil *shudders*. However, I still think Snape will be good in the end.

I thought she pretty much confirmed RAB is Regulus Black but her reaction about the 2nd mirror was interesting.

I loved their talk about the shipping. Hee.

There is a third and final part of that interview coming on Friday. I think it is great that JKR spent so much time with these two (Mugglenet & Leaky Cauldron website owners) answering (or stonewalling) some pretty good questions.

I was sad to read, though, that we had the final Quidditch match in Book 6. Makes H/R/H not going back to Hogwarts seem even more real.

For those that dont know about mugglenet, the interview with JKR can be found HERE!

I just finished reading last night. I just love this book to pieces! And I haven't loved one since POA.

Some thoughts.

Hmm...I guess I'm the lone Ron/Hermione shipper in this forum. I love them. And Hermione had been my favorite character all along. But in this book, I actually forgot all about her and remembered that the series is called Harry Potter after all. Heh. I never really liked Harry much. Thought he was just there really. But I really liked him in this book. Much much MUUUUCH improved from the prat (PRAT!!! my favorite new word) that was in OOTP.

I love the Weasleys so much.

I usually don't do spoilers or even speculation for fear that someone may get it right and guess correctly. But for this book, I want to hear everything! Gah!! I want Book 7 NOW! *stomp stomp* [/veruca salt]

I know there's been rumblings about Obi Wan/Dumbledore and Luke Skywalker/Harry parallels. I thought about that when the Dark Mark went up and that whole scene went down between Snape/DeathEaters/Malfoy/Dumbledore with Harry watching the whole thing.

Just reading your posts, I thought about something. Could Draco have been talking about Snape stealing the Hand of Glory that left him with the only one who can see in that Darkness powder thing? It's probably nothing.

I can't even remember right now what else I wanted to post. I guess that's all for now.

Eeeeee! A safe place to discuss HP! Now I'm happy. I'll post more when I have time to read the whole thread, but I will just say that I think this is the best book of the series so far. I meant to take my time reading it, but I ended up sitting down at 10 am to start it, and read pretty much straight through until about midnight, stopping for food now and then. *G* More later when I can digest what everyone else has said so far.

Hmm...I guess I'm the lone Ron/Hermione shipper in this forum.  I love them.  And Hermione had been my favorite character all along.  But in this book, I actually forgot all about her and remembered that the series is called Harry Potter after all.  Heh.  I never really liked Harry much.  Thought he was just there really.  But I really liked him in this book.  Much much MUUUUCH improved from the prat (PRAT!!!  my favorite new word) that was in OOTP.

Hey!! That’s my Harry you’re talking about. <g> Harry has good reason for being upset, even besides the fact that he’s 15 in OotP. And Ron!! What a jealous, spiteful child – particularly in GoF!! He’s the PRAT, big time. <g> That said, I loved both of them in this book and Hermione doesn’t deserve either of them. Beyotch. <g> I’m a Harry girl all the way and she was nearly unforgivable in her hypocrisy.

I love the Weasleys so much.

I do love the Weasleys – but Ron is my least favorite there too. Fred and George are the main dudes. <g> And I’m quite all right with a Ginny/Harry pairing. She’s cool too.

Just reading your posts, I thought about something.  Could Draco have been talking about Snape stealing the Hand of Glory that left him with the only one who can see in that Darkness powder thing?  It's probably nothing.

I’ll have to read it again (which I’m doing) in order to be able to remember that tidbit.

Eeeeee! A safe place to discuss HP! Now I'm happy. I'll post more when I have time to read the whole thread, but I will just say that I think this is the best book of the series so far. I meant to take my time reading it, but I ended up sitting down at 10 am to start it, and read pretty much straight through until about midnight, stopping for food now and then. *G*  More later when I can digest what everyone else has said so far.

Whoo Hoo!! The more the merrier!!

I do love the Weasleys – but Ron is my least favorite there too. Fred and George are the main dudes.

Oh man. I loooove the twins. And here comes a really big gripe about the movies; which really doesn't belong here, not really: how do these directors make Fred and George so boring??!@! The twins rock so much in the book and in the movies, they just kind of fall flat. Bleh.

Oh man.  I loooove the twins.  And here comes a really big gripe about the movies; which really doesn't belong here, not really:  how do these directors make Fred and George so boring??!@!  The twins rock so much in the book and in the movies, they just kind of fall flat.  Bleh.

Well, my main beef with the movies thus far is that they just don't capture all of the nuances in the books. I know it's nearly impossible to do that, but if they can do it with Lord of the Rings, I hope that they manage to capture more of the characterization and nuances of the universe in the rest of the movies. This particular book will be interesting to see on the big screen. Really, a LOT of the time is spent doing things that are not so action friendly, but IMO, all of the 'downtime' so to speak with Harry and the little things that happen around him all add and make a big difference to the story. I miss all of the introspection in the movies, I guess, and the introspection in the books makes a big difference in how you react to Harry and others, because you see them through his eyes more, and in the movies, you have to use the impression you are given from the action on the film itself, not Harry's thoughts about them and what goes on.

The twins are fascinating, because even though they were goof offs in school, they are very gifted wizards...they just had to find a profitable outlet for that gift. The shop is definitely that. I like that they've found their niche in the world.

It was also hilarious that they wouldn't let Harry pay for a thing, but Ron wasn't getting ANYTHING in that store for free. Hee. Typical brothers.

Hey!! That’s my Harry you’re talking about. <g>  Harry has good reason for being upset, even besides the fact that he’s 15 in OotP.  And Ron!! What a jealous, spiteful child – particularly in GoF!! He’s the PRAT, big time. <g> That said, I loved both of them in this book and Hermione doesn’t deserve either of them. Beyotch. <g> I’m a Harry girl all the way and she was nearly unforgivable in her hypocrisy.
Me too. I am a Harry's girl just like I was a Luke Skywalker's girl years ago. Harry has had quite the sucky life so far so and I dont think it will get any better in the coming year. I certainly can't blame him for being a PRAT now and again. But both Ron and Hermonie have certainly had their equal share of being PRATs as well without the excuse of loosing his parents, growing up with the Dursleys, the prophecy, Cedric, Sirius, & Dumbledore dying, or LV and his Death Eaters out to kill him.

Fred and George are the main dudes.
Oh yeah they are! I LOVE the twins. I just wish they were in the books more than they are. Does anyone else think that one of their joke inventions will come in handy when Harry fights Voldermort? That whole subplot has to have some reasoning besides just being there for laughs.

I do love the Weasleys – but Ron is my least favorite there too. Fred and George are the main dudes.

Oh man. I loooove the twins. And here comes a really big gripe about the movies; which really doesn't belong here, not really: how do these directors make Fred and George so boring??!@! The twins rock so much in the book and in the movies, they just kind of fall flat. Bleh.

They only have two and a half hours - and it's all about Harry, Ron and Hermione. It looks like they have screen time in GoF. And damn, they better have their big scene in OotP - their grand exit. <g>

I think I mentioned here that Daniel Radcliffe is confirmed for OotP and it starts shooting in January? I haven't heard anything about Emma Watson or Rupert Grint. I can't imagine they wouldn't come back.

This particular book will be interesting to see on the big screen. Really, a LOT of the time is spent doing things that are not so action friendly, but IMO, all of the 'downtime' so to speak with Harry and the little things that happen around him all add and make a big difference to the story. I miss all of the introspection in the movies, I guess, and the introspection in the books makes a big difference in how you react to Harry and others, because you see them through his eyes more, and in the movies, you have to use the impression you are given from the action on the film itself, not Harry's thoughts about them and what goes on.

I think we’ll get a lot more of what you want with this book. Not only is it shorter and less action packed than GoF and OotP, but the whole book leans that way, IMO.

The twins are fascinating, because even though they were goof offs in school, they are very gifted wizards...they just had to find a profitable outlet for that gift. The shop is definitely that. I like that they've found their niche in the world.

It was also hilarious that they wouldn't let Harry pay for a thing, but Ron wasn't getting ANYTHING in that store for free. Hee. Typical brothers.

Wasn’t that great! I loved that. I love Gred and Forge. <g>

Hey!! That’s my Harry you’re talking about. <g>  Harry has good reason for being upset, even besides the fact that he’s 15 in OotP.  And Ron!! What a jealous, spiteful child – particularly in GoF!! He’s the PRAT, big time. <g> That said, I loved both of them in this book and Hermione doesn’t deserve either of them. Beyotch. <g> I’m a Harry girl all the way and she was nearly unforgivable in her hypocrisy.
Me too. I am a Harry's girl just like I was a Luke Skywalker's girl years ago. Harry has had quite the sucky life so far so and I dont think it will get any better in the coming year. I certainly can't blame him for being a PRAT now and again. But both Ron and Hermonie have certainly had their equal share of being PRATs as well without the excuse of loosing his parents, growing up with the Dursleys, the prophecy, Cedric, Sirius, & Dumbledore dying, or LV and his Death Eaters out to kill him.

Amen, my sister. <g> Both Ron and Hermione have both parents and happy homes. Clothes on their backs and lots of love. Harry had none of that. He even had to wear Dudley’s clothes. It’s amazing that he’s turned out so well – which is probably part of the reason he’s the “chosen one”. <g>

Fred and George are the main dudes.
Oh yeah they are! I LOVE the twins. I just wish they were in the books more than they are. Does anyone else think that one of their joke inventions will come in handy when Harry fights Voldermort? That whole subplot has to have some reasoning besides just being there for laughs.

It would not surprise me. <g>

I am a Harry's girl just like I was a Luke Skywalker's girl years ago.

There is someone else that thinks like me! I have to admit, I was kind of devastated when Leia turned out to be his sister (cause, eww). And reading the books set after RotJ didn't satisfy me any, because Luke never seemed to catch a break. Yes, I am Harry's girl for sure. I very much pleased with Harry and Ginny...when they get married, Harry will have a nice big family officially. ;-) Ginny is a strong personality, and has NO problem taking him down a peg if he ever needs it. She's been through some stuff on her own, and is strong enough to help him, if he'll let her. I wanted to smack him upside the head when he pulled a Peter Parker on her at the funeral, but he's a guy. ::sigh:: She knows he'll be back.

I really want a happy ending for Harry out of all of this. I am a romantic in every sense of the word. The kid DESERVES it. After Book 7, I will probably have to resort to fanfic it that happy ending doesn't happen, and just live in my own little world of bliss. Heh. Harry's had a raw deal from minute one (and btw, how MUCH did I love it when Dumblebore finally told off the Dursley's? And it just occurred to me this second that Dumbledore's words to them were very...final. He seemed to say everything he needed to say to get Harry through until he turned of age. Interesting I didn't notice that before. Another little clue to the 'is Snape evil or not' mystery. And this is now the world's longest aside. *G* )

As for Ron and Hermione, I think he needs her. Ron is, shall we say, not the most talented wizard in the world. While Harry struggles with classes, he is very gifted and thinks well on his feet. Ron is in his own world on this. I was honestly surprised that he got so many OWLs, from the way JK writes about his school troubles. Hermione will be a good match, she has the smarts, but is too focused on doing what's 'right' ALL of the time, while Ron is impulsive enough to push her into living a little, I think. I didn't particularly like Hermione in this book, but then I didn't particularly care for Ron most of the time either. It's really becoming obvious to me that Harry is maturing and growing up, and is outpacing the two of them quite a bit. Of course, he's had to grow up, and the idea of being 'The One' weighs heavily on him.

The prospect of a Year 7 book without Hogwarts is interesting. It also might be necessary. Harry is going to have one focus now: Kill Voldemort. Any thing beyond that will feel like a waste of his time, a distraction. As he realized in the book, he's lost his last parental figure, the last person who looked at as a role model, and realized that he's only got himself in this, that HE has to do the job, that there is no one else to rely on. It felt to me that THAT moment, that realization, was when Harry became an adult. You could almost feel the change in him on the pages. Or that could just be my overactive imagination, and the fact that I read this part at midnight when I was starting to see triple. *G*

I think I mentioned here that Daniel Radcliffe is confirmed for OotP and it starts shooting in January? I haven't heard anything about Emma Watson or Rupert Grint. I can't imagine they wouldn't come back.
Per IMDB, all three are listed on OotP. I read Rupert Grint (Ron) is filming 'Driving Lessons' right now and Dan (Harry) is scheduled to start filming 'December Boys' soon. I do hope all three stay for the entire movie series. I just can't imagine they would want to switch after the 5th or 6th movie to new actors.

ETA - Entertainment Weekly says that none of the three have actually signed on for OotP, but Dan "is game to continue".

There is someone else that thinks like me! I have to admit, I was kind of devastated when Leia turned out to be his sister (cause, eww).
Your never alone.... oh wait... wrong board! <g> Umm, me too on the Luke & Leia thing. Hee.

I really want a happy ending for Harry out of all of this. I am a romantic in every sense of the word. The kid DESERVES it. <skip> Harry's had a raw deal from minute one.
I guess this brings up the big questions in this whole series. Will he or wont he survive this whole ordeal? I'm like you Sapphire in that I want the sappy, cliched, happy ending for Harry. Ginny on his arm surrounded by his loving 'family' of the Weasleys and school friends. But my gut is telling me that JKR wont let it end that way. She certainly hasn't followed the standard pattern for children's book or fairy-tales up to this point so I cant imagine she will have the fairy-tale ending in Book 7.

The only person I am certain will die on Book 7 is Lord Voldermort or else this whole series has been a waste. However, I also think someone VERY close to Harry or Harry himself will not make it through to the end. I keep thinking that someone (Ginny, Ron, or Hermonie) will make a Lily-like sacrifice or Harry will sacrifice himself in order to kill Voldermort. And the thought of one of those 4 not making it is heartbreaking. *sniff*

Oh well, I have two years to dream it will all end like a fairy tale.

Edited by buzztechie