All About Clay Gabfest: Favorite Clay Flubs

Ansamcw

Lets Talk About Clay!!!

our first party will be on November 4, 2006...Saturday...9 to 11 pm EST

our first topic...

FAVORITE CLAY FLUBS....

We know CLay can be the ultimate professional when he is on stage. But he is human and he can make mistakes...and sometimes these mistakes can turn out to be golden moments in his performance. He knows how to turn his foibles into adorable cute moments where he breaks the fourth wall and connects directly with the audience....that is what I call a true entertainer...

FOr this night we will recall as many of those moments as possible...bring in photos...videos...audio or just memories of these moments and we will laugh and EEEEEEEEEE together.

Come in anytime...bring a guest if you can and your favorite snack and drink. If you will not be able to join us during this time...you are welcome to add your opinions and your memories in this thread.

Guests will be allowed to post but we would appreciate it if they identify themselves to the group.

eta:::

well the gabfest is over and great fun was had by all...this does not mean this thread is now closed...the discussion can continue as long as Clay aiken entertains us with his bloopers and peopel want to add to the list.

I will keep track of the flubs mentioned and their video links in this post...

Chicago IT acoustic 2004

The Kimberley tug

night he added "Still The One" to the set list on the Nat

just a little nasty dancing - you tube

Clay was climbing back up on the stage to sing "Ain't No Mountain High" JBT AC2

Dallas IT Trip

York, PA NAT...Solitaire

WORDS of WYSYLM and MDYK

you tube... it's a remake?

Clay & Kelly DanceSt Paul IT

you tube - invisible 2003 wilkes barre

Dallas' best WYSYLM

Clay to Ryan clip -

we will add favorite Clay flubs to the list as people post them...

HI all...

welcome to the first All About Clay Gabfest...

Topic...Favorite Clay Flubs...

There really is no format to this..just post about your favorite flub..if you have a link to the video peopel can download or to a you tube clip that will be great...

If you do not know where to find it ...but just have a vague recollection of itt...thats ok too...other posters may help us find the clips.

then just comment on each others picks...jsut a free for all discussion

The idea is by the end of the evening we can come up with a handy list to look at if we ever want to remember these good times.

We are officially starting at 9 pm...but post anytime you come in and say hi...

hope we have someone to act as bartender..Bottle???

To start us off..I will ghost post for ldyjocelyn who spending some quality time with her hubby and preparing to party with a certain FCAer and her chicago Clay friends...

Chicago IT acoustic 2004

Chicago, IT, 2004. I was just getting my feet wet regarding going to concerts, and had been to the show in St. Louis the night before. I had limited time off, and therefore missed the Chicago IT show, even though it was only 3 hours away from me. If I'd only called in sick...

...because this is definitely one of my favorite flubs from Clay. What gets me is that when he starts with the wrong verse, without the Q&A, you can see it in his face. "Oh crap, I just screwed that up." It looks to me as if he's resigned a bit, thinking he'll correct himself when the girls come in with him. But no...more screw up. Badly. So badly, in fact, that he breaks "character" and just flat out admits he's goofed.

To me, this is one of the most endearing pieces of clack out there. It proved to me that the man really could laugh at himself. It makes me smile every time I think of this clip.

Hee just watched this Chicago clip...first of all...he looked so thin there...and that funny hair where it looked liek a fan. Just adorable...

and how cute was that...he started messing up from the beginning but the girls just sang on trying not to laugh.

Hee...I love what he said...you know I am not lipsunching when I cannot remember the words...hee

TOO...TOO funny!!!

good one ldyjocelyn....

I know it tended to piss off folks when Clay messed up during inappropriate songs but I loved it. Of course I was usually sitting in the comfort of my own home. The one thing I love Clay is that he just shines on that stage...but he also has fun. He has a script but he allows him to stray from it. I didn't care if I knew why he was laughing or if he was having some silly fun with the bandmates...

thanks ldyjocelyn...for him losing the words..boy that aiken random lyric generator is just a hoot. But it would usually only happen on certain songs...when you say you love me was notorious..an easy breezy little song but it always gave him trouble.

Sweet -

I am sure most of the flubs will be from concerts- and I really don't collect most of the concert clack, just buy the DVDs, heh.

So I will start from the beginning and it is not a Clay Flub, but Clay trying to stop someone from their flub. The Kimberley tug from when she jumped into Charles' good bye performance. You can play it here

Sweet -

I am sure most of the flubs will be from concerts- and I really don't collect most of the concert clack, just buy the DVDs, heh.

So I will start from the beginning and it is not a Clay Flub, but Clay trying to stop someone from their flub. The Kimberley tug from when she jumped into Charles' good bye performance. You can play it here

don't even have to watch it..it's ingrained in my brain. I loved that... he just wanted Charles to have his moment without the fameho butting in. Gotta love him.

When I listen to the audio from AI2. which I haven't in a while..I noticed a few mess up of the words that he was never called on... he really covers well when he messed up.

Ansa Wolftrap was a trip... again, another case of I wasn't there so I can enjoy it at home. He was in some silly mood that night... but he pulled out something extra to hit that ending..which he tends to do when he screws up.

Sweet -

oh I do remember this...before this it seems like Clay and kimberme were inseperable...heh

OMG...She looked like she was goign to dance right there behind charles the whole time...I like the way Clay just wrapped his arms aorund her like he was just making her feel better.

GAH i love that about him...and probably one of the reasons some people find him an ass...cos he is not afraid to make a stand or to correct a wrong he sees a person is doing.

One of my favorite Clay flubs, was the night he added "Still The One" to the set list on the Nat, it was such a good addition. Lots of fans thought he needed something there to punch the set list up. Well, remember he left of the verse that included the line "your're still the one I want to talk to in bed". The fandom nearly exploded, because they thought Clay left it out intentionally because maybe he thought it wasn't family friendly enough. Whenever that song comes on on my CD, I can't help but chuckle. I think there were pages and pages of posts about, how he even sang that line when he was much younger how he had sung other songs about lying beside someone in bed. What a memory.

Yes, well, I would call that the overanalyzing fandom flub. Early on the rallying cry was let Clay be Clay - yet, so many fans want to define just who that Clay is. I guess that was a defining of the fandom flub to me. It showed me how I did not fit into the more verbal members of this fandom.

So one of my personal favorite flubs was

Yes...this is one of my most favorite concert. I remember reading all the recaps about it..some people were so upset and worried about how Clay came off for the regular woftrap audience. I was imgining all kinds of things for this particular performance. BUT wow that was just fantastic IMO.

its not that he made a mistake...its how he recovered from it...with class and style then proceeded to blow the roof off with his voice.

Gah I loved that. But this night had so many great moments.

I have two clips from Charlotte NAT to share...

the first...

It involves Ethel and another woman dancing during WYSYLM...well you know Ethel and her fun antics.. and Clay told the band to keep going but then he tried to stop them by giving them a signal.... hilarity ensues.

And of course the second is when the carry over from Ethel continued with the girl who was going to sing Without you.

oh I do remember this...before this it seems like Clay and kimberme were inseperable...heh

OMG...She looked like she was goign to dance right there behind charles the whole time...I like the way Clay just wrapped his arms aorund her like he was just making her feel better.

GAH i love that about him...and probably one of the reasons some people find him an ass...cos he is not afraid to make a stand or to correct a wrong he sees a person is doing.

they were two peas in a pod before that...but didn't she start up with JD Adams by that point... or did Clay just look past the bod and found the real personality...heee don't know if the chicken or the egg came first on that one

One of my favorite Clay flubs, was the night he added "Still The One" to the set list on the Nat, it was such a good addition. Lots of fans thought he needed something there to punch the set list up. Well, remember he left of the verse that included the line "your're still the one I want to talk to in bed". The fandom nearly exploded, because they thought Clay left it out intentionally because maybe he thought it wasn't family friendly enough. Whenever that song comes on on my CD, I can't help but chuckle. I think there were pages and pages of posts about, how he even sang that line when he was much younger how he had sung other songs about lying beside someone in bed. What a memory.

OMG I remember this... it was crazy. I remember Nova saying he probably just forgot the words..thing is people probably think the uproar caused him to change it up.... but Clay would never do that. I'm sure the simple answer is the true answer. He forgot the damn words.

OMG...yes I remember that. This fandom does tend to over react over the simplest things at times...I remember going on line and there was this discussion about this lyrics...all the expounding about why he left it out...how people just wanted him to sing that line...all the speculation and yes even underlying hostility I sensed in some posts that seem to think that clay was too conscious of what his family...particularly what his mom would think about his sexier performance.

As usual...I jsut shook my head over this over reaction ...just figured he forgot the words...and sure enough...there it was the next night...HEE

I guess we can't count all the Chicago mishaps as a Clay flub either - that was stuff he just goes with the flow. I think one of the reasons I had a hard time finding things, although I knew there were plenty of flubs was how well Clay covers. He just goes with the flow.

In that vein, I bring you Clay explaining what was inhis mind during Vincent.

Oh freak, trying to figure out a quick way to put up clips - my very favorite flub of all time and we didn't get a good video of it anyway - during the IT tour in Dallas, Clay is finishing Open Arms with Kelly and one of those wildly windmilling arm flailing everywhere pratfalls, immediately bounces up like a freakin jack-in-the-box, and bows. I swear, it was just like when my cat messes up, "yep, I meant to do that!"

I have two clips from Charlotte NAT to share...

the first...

It involves Ethel and another woman dancing during WYSYLM...well you know Ethel and her fun antics.. and Clay told the band to keep going but then he tried to stop them by giving them a signal.... hilarity ensues.

OMG this was so funny...I can;t stop laughing. I love how he just shouted STOP...hee...he really can make gold out f any situation. I actually love the reation of Jacob and the rest of the crew...cos they just give it back to Clay...hee

Oh freak, trying to figure out a quick way to put up clips - my very favorite flub of all time and we didn't get a good video of it anyway - during the IT tour in Dallas, Clay is finishing Open Arms with Kelly and one of those wildly windmilling arm flailing everywhere pratfalls, immediately bounces up like a freakin jack-in-the-box, and bows. I swear, it was just like when my cat messes up, "yep, I meant to do that!"

heee I remember that Karen...sorry I'm in and out ...I've been dealing with this since this morning...and suddenly she wants to play.

post-3-1162694124_thumb.jpg

ETA cuz really didn't need to answer her twice

Another is the very last show of the JBT, Clay was climbing back up on the stage to sing "Ain't No Mountain High" with Angela and made this...noise. A deep, heartful groan. And then commented in an exasperated tone, "These pants are TIGHT." And yes, they were. And I loved them clearly much more than he.

KAndre I just laughed out loud at that one. It was like he thought, "if I jumb up really fast, no one will notice I fell down" that was so funny.

Edited by atinal

Geez!! I almost forgot about the gabfest! :o

I remember one flub that I don't think was ever captured on clack (at least I never saw it).

It was the York, PA NAT. We had 4th row seats and couldn't see a thing! The stage was very wide and our seats were at one end but all we had a view of was the equipment that was piled high and shoved off to the sides. That also blocked our view except when he was at the very edge of the stage or up on the high platforms. Oh, and there were no jumbotrons. :glare:

The two songs I could see him best were TITN and Solitaire. During Solitaire he was singing just beautifully when all of a sudden he totally messed up a verse. To be honest, I no longer remember just how he messed it up, but it was so obvious you could literally hear the audience gasp in unison! He got through the rest of the song ok but as I was watching him with my trusty binoculars, he turned around to leave the platform and I witnessed him stomping his foot and his mouth was forming words I know he would not want his Mama to hear (and she was there)! He was so pissed at himself. I know he thought no one could see, and if we hadn't been so far off to the side of the stage and looking though binoculars, we wouldn't have been able to either! I turned to my friend who was watching it as well and said "Did he just say what I think he said?" and she said "That's what I saw!"

It was great! :lol:

Oh,couchie I remember the one where he was signaling the band that was really funny. That's another thing that is so cool about his concerts. He usually tells on himself when he does a flub like that. It sets him apart, and shows he isn't just a singin' machine.

yeah I was in Charlotte and this was that first concert back after a break and he just seemed like he really missed being on that stage. And yep, he always tells on himself... he's just so quick too. I'm glad he recognizes that he's funny because he really is.

And of course the second is when the carry over from Ethel continued with the girl who was going to sing Without you.

yup another reason why this concert is in my top 10 favorite clack. He was really going out of control here...and the girl looked like she was only 15...hee