All About Clay Gabfest: Favorite Clay Flubs

Ansamcw

I am so behind at this point...but did someone mention another really funny Open arms...when he came out with hair all crazy and messed up. We were all so perplexed cos it couldn;t have been deliberate yet Clay was singing like there was nothing weird about his hair...then apparently Clay was having a massage backstage and didn't have a clue how messy hi shair was...

that always gave me such naughty thoughts...

so who knows which IT this was?

Ansa I think I've heard that was from the Las Vegas concert. Clive was there, it was probably his fault.

BWAH...who knew he was ruining everything since then...HEE

Oh but I remember Clive looked so impressed watching that concert and some fans talked to him and he was very happy with Clay's performance. I woudn;t be surprised if this was when he first realized how great Clay was at reinterpreting pop classics...so maybe we should all blame the ATDW concept on IT acoustic and WDC...hee

Hey -- hubby time done! Hee.

Actually, I'm going to go to bed soon...but had to add the clip with the bad hair. I mean really bad hair. This isn't the clip I really remember seeing way back when, but it'll do.

couchie, thanks for the memories on the Charlotte show. Most fun concert ever! Him trying to stop Ethel and the other dancer was simply priceless.

The mic drop -- I want to say that was a Nashville or Louisville NAT show. I'm pretty sure HeidiHo was the videographer, so that limits it to the geographic area, if I remember correctly. Can someone find that? I'd love to see that again...it was a short clip, during STO.

One other I remember but don't have time to find -- wasn't there a OHN last year that he really screwed up? I want to say a New York show. And I'm not sure if that was the song either.

Sorry, I'm not being much help.

OK, time for snoozies and then church tomorrow (my bell choir plays) and then on to Chicago!

Yes, you have to see the stories in context. i have no copies of how this was covered on ET, but they were brutal to Clay, even thought they were aware of the short time Clay had. He did not even hear the changed music before he had to perform it, and they never acknowledged the issue beyond telling the audience at the show - stupid on their part because it has been saved as legend..

Hmm, I have to look through my old video tapes, I might have it. I wonder if I can get it converted if I find it?

Edited by playbiller

Oh but I remember Clive looked so impressed watching that concert and some fans talked to him and he was very happy with Clay's performance. I woudn;t be surprised if this was when he first realized how great Clay was at reinterpreting pop classics...so maybe we should all blame the ATDW concept on IT acoustic and WDC...hee

yeah I had a birds eye view of Clive that night... too bad I didn't do away with him that night...heh..thing of all the drama I could have saved...of course I'd be doing 60 -100 with no possibility of parole.

I'd forgotten about MDYK..that was another song he either messed up or just changed up the words. It never bothered me in the least because he sang it so beautifully.

In Atlanta, I sat across the ailse from a guy that came just to hear Clay sing this song..and as soon as he heard the first chords, he was a goner. He boo hood through the entire song.

Wow have you ever told me this story? that is just powerful...

yup I think MDYK is now CLay's...his is the best version of this song ...ever...and I think I have listened to tons of them.

Here is the one where Kelly sneaks out for WDC instead of Angela.

I don't know where it was.

Clay & Kelly Dance

AWWW I loved this...this was St. Paul...the last IT. One of the reasons...this IT was one of my top 10 clack.

I do think he knew what was going to happen. I think it took Kelly by surprise that he didn;t get flustered. It was so very alpha Clay...hee

I'm sure I mentioned that Atlanta story in my wrap up or blog or something..and I know heidi did..as we were seatmates. The guy was gay and he also wanted to debacle Clay..and we spent the intermission trying to figure out how we would get past Jerome. And he had the most beautiful softest looking coat I ever saw in my life..hee.

One other I remember but don't have time to find -- wasn't there a OHN last year that he really screwed up? I want to say a New York show. And I'm not sure if that was the song either.

It was the The irst Noel on the last NY concert and he ended up saving it so wel it was better than ever! I might have that clip somewhere......

Well, the Kelly WDC was a prank, but also a goof because he thought he was so clever asnd was bragging that he forgot he was supposed to still be dancing with Angela and he had to leave the runway and get back to her.

oh yeah totally forgot this part...hee you are right!!!

Aww... you all already mentioned all my favorite flubs!

I do find his little imperfections endearing. I sometimes wonder if his mind wanders a bit when he sings a too familiar song. You notice, it's usually the songs he's sung a thousand times that he flubs. WYSYLM, Solitaire, TITN...

exactly...sometimes wonder if he has slight AD...he does get distracted easily. But I think he has learned to cover up so beautifully.

I am getting frustrated, I saw the Ryan Ai clip this week. I just can't find it now.

maybe we can have an obscure clip discussion some day. I think I have some of the oft overlooked clips. I save every TV appearance, really no matter how little, but the concert video - I tend to let go or I would need several hard drives.

YEah I learned to let go of the concert clack as well. I can never organize them well enough, not better than the vault surely. Oh god we need to gather all these things...catalogue the flubs...the banter the funny moments...and significant moments with the right clack referrence...

My mind now seems to be drawing a complete blank heh. flubs and pranks and the funny are all running together in my mind..I agree Fear..it's all just part of the show..which is why I'm a concert ho.

OMG yes...I pray he never becomes such a pro and so polished and perfect that he looses everything that makes him Clay. I do believe we will still have flubs and long note holding contest even if he was in the Carnegie hall...or performing for the president...its just part of what makes Clay special.

YEah I learned to let go of the concert clack as well. I can never organize them well enough, not better than the vault surely. Oh god we need to gather all these things...catalogue the flubs...the banter the funny moments...and significant moments with the right clack referrence...

everybody run for the hills...Ansa has an idea. heh.

I love Dallas' best WYSYLM - he started concentrating on his footwork - and is flabbergaster when he sees what the dancer he chose is doing - which had nothing to do with the standard choreography...but it's more than 100 megs (one of Scarlett's) so I can't put it up on YouTube...

I have no idea what concert it was, but I do remember seeing clips of Clay dropping his microphone during a song, then quickly picking it up. He was holding it funny when he grabbed it, but kept on singing.

Oh I remember hearing about this...what tour was it? NAT? JBT?

Maybe you can leave this topic open and let people add flubs as they find and remember them.

good idea..because I know I'll come up with more moments.

Even in Star of Bethlehem...didn't he kinda screw up something and the girls smiled and kept on singing. They work so well together..I just love the comfort level which is why I'm not one to call for a change.

everybody run for the hills...Ansa has an idea. heh.

What ...just another section to add to the FCA...nothing really!!! :D

oh and yes we can continue adding flubs for as long as he makes them here in this thread...and I will make an effort to gather them up and make a list...maybe in the first post so we have easy referrence...

This has been fun, in reality, I don't think he flubs that much. When you consider the number of concerts and songs he's done over the past 3 years. The flubs have left us with some great clack and great memories. I didn't go to the AI2 show, I wish I had. Couchie, that WB clip of Invisible, it really shows how much he has grown as a performer, doesn't it. The AI clips I have seen, sure show who the star of the show was.

Edited by atinal

The circle dance is great.

Do you remember though during the AI tour when Clay was singing and supposedly did a 360 move? I don't think video ever surfaced. It was at a Northeastern venue that was very hot. The venue not the move.

sniff...so many great moments on the AI tour that was never captured...I am just happy we got that infamous holy grail...ice cream man suite photo for posterity...or else that might become an urban myth that will be hard to prove.

Maybe you can leave this topic open and let people add flubs as they find and remember them.

good idea..because I know I'll come up with more moments.

Even in Star of Bethlehem...didn't he kinda screw up something and the girls smiled and kept on singing. They work so well together..I just love the comfort level which is why I'm not one to call for a change.

People want him to change Angela and Quiana! Blasphemy!!! Theyre a family!

I know many are still mad at Jacob for whatever went down and caused him to get fired/leave, but I even miss him!

I want Clay to get another male back-up singer before he tours with ATDW (if he does because I hear Clive/RCA is undermining his plans for this too... ;) ), but get rid of A & Q?? No way!

I wish all these priceless gems could be catalogued! I am sure the Smithsonian will want them one day.....

What I like is how Clay keeps the same people with him and they learn to adjust to the problems and glitches and just keep going. It is such a good machine that it does not matter if it is not perfect.

Whoo hoo foundthe ryan clip. I will have it up in a minute.

Edited by playbiller

The circle dance is great.

Do you remember though during the AI tour when Clay was singing and supposedly did a 360 move? I don't think video ever surfaced. It was at a Northeastern venue that was very hot. The venue not the move.

we'll see this when we see the great sasquatch.

I guess my favorite Invisible from WB counts as a flub... i mean when those panties went flying he just lost it.

you tube - invisible 2003 wilkes barre

It's a long clip but well worth it...make sure to find time to watch it if you haven't already.

hee I loved how he just stood there watching all the reaction...hee I always liked the panty throwing...it was done in a very tongue in cheek way...to bad that stopped but I guess Clay can't keep collecting these panties.