AIW Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

See, I started and ended with Nat, threw in a little Bing, some Perry Como, one by Andy Williams, the Jackson 5 album, "Silent Night" by the Temps, and Donny's "This Christmas". None of my favorite's have that...brightness of tone I so love in Clay's voice, even more than deep voice Clay, a pinginess. He sort of reminds me of a deep flute I guess. Maybe I should have taken some sort of lessons...

I like the way you describe his voice on this song...perfect. .. I can't even remember what my favorite Xmas songs were... I guess growing up there was more religious music around me than pop singers singing christmas songs. So I'm used to choirs and whatnot.heee. I've been wanting to throw in a whatnot for a bit now.

I would have to see and listen to him when he says it..didn't he say it during a concert...cuz I really don't know. I always just thought it was Clive's favorite song... heh.

For some reason I thought Clay was saying it was Clive's favorite, kind of tongue in cheek, I don't know why. I guess I thougt if it was Clive's favorite, why didn't it make the CD. Just me, and how I took it.

Know what? I love you guys. I can't join you...just went for a few beers with co-workers, a goodbye to someone who's leaving for a teaching job....had to grab some things from my office before heading home since I leave for Florida on Sunday...

Checked the boards to see

1. if people had commented on my story threads

2. if Clay had posted a link to his secret sex tapes

3. if you all here at FCA were having fun...

I found the following to be true:

1. Yes, to some degree...

2. No, damn it.

3. Looks like it...wish I could join you.

Later, friends. ;)

will miss you...

next time...

Hee seems like cesario taught you well... :D

Yep...I really absobed at LOT of thingies...technical terms!

O Come O Come Emanuel - another I never heard before.

Still beautiful...still does nothing for me (just like Kat McPherson!). I know you think it would, and that this is blasphemy, but I just slightly preferred Jacob's...

I would have to see and listen to him when he says it..didn't he say it during a concert...cuz I really don't know. I always just thought it was Clive's favorite song... heh.

For some reason I thought Clay was saying it was Clive's favorite, kind of tongue in cheek, I don't know why. I guess I thougt if it was Clive's favorite, why didn't it make the CD. Just me, and how I took it.

I never really gave it much thought until this year and all the evil clive talk..but it could be either one, IMO.

OK...emmanuel...

the first time I ehard Clay sing this song...I cried...

however..after a bit last year...he was too strained on this...he wasforcing some of the parts too much that I didn;t listen to it too much.

THIS...the recorded version...is just soo exquisite. I love the roundness of his rejoice...and the fact that he would soften the ends of his phrases.

Emanuel, Simply beautiful, I like some of the flourishes he put on it in concert last year, especially the last rejoice that he leaves off of the recorded version. I swear he makes a believer out of my heathen ass. See, now I even feel guilty about saying that, but it's true.

Five minutes to next song!

I do think Jacobs was more earthy...and Clay;s was more celestial.

Yup it is more Josh Groban...

but I will always remember that cellcert...when Clay first sang it..I notice right from the beginning the change in the quality of the voice...and people were saying wow Jacob was so good that night...

and I was saying...no ...its Clay!!!! hee...

I think the first two times he sang it he was in a zone and he sang it without thinking of the notes...and I really felt it.

After that his voice started to get strained and it was more a performance...he still hit the notes but it didn;t flow out of himlike the first two.

Now he is back...in concert this is flowing out of him again.

My Grown-Up Christmas List

I think it is one of those songs that when I hear it, I can picture Clay singing it, and he seems to get so into it. It's also nice to hear an updated version of something I had only heard sung the tradtional way.

That was still about Emanuel

Edited by atinal

I'll admit I was totally indifferent to this when Quiana sang this...it was so saccarine (there is only so much self-conscious sentiment I can put up with for so long).

It didn't work for me when Clay sang it the first time on GMA either.

But this? The sincerity is perfect. I BELIEVE in him singing this.

*pant pant pant*

I made it...with just one question: did he hit the high note in AIW?

:D

MGUCL....I'd never heard this song until Quiana. I love the simplicity of this song....I find myself being drawn to the guitar work besides Clay's voice. Andy does an incredible job.

I BELIEVE in him singing this.

Yes, this seems like a very personal song to him -- especially with Brett's situation. I would guess that this one really hits home for him.

I simply love CLay's version...

I have heard Natalie Coles version...Kelly Clarkson's (yuck) and Quiana's...

Clay's is my favorite....

It is so simple...heartfelt and really makes one think of what the message is...

Specially with claygasm's montage, this always makes me cry.

This is one of my favorite Clay Aiken songs ever. After he sang it on GMA, I kept it on my desktop and it was one of the songs I listened to frequently when I felt down about something. Don't ask me why it just had a calming effect on me. I loved Quianna's version both years of the JNTs and it made the hair stand up on my arms, but Clay's version makes me feel it and it is a song that seems so like Clay to me.

Singing along with this....I realized that this is another song that really stretches his range. It's not got the power glory notes that KAndre likes so well...but it goes from low to high in an incredible amount of time.

Another thing that gets me on this: the simplicity of the arrangement. This one doesn't need the full string section behind him, just a simple oboe and cello. Beautiful.

For me, the brightness of his voice makes this song - too many (including Quiana) made it...heavy. The brightness adds a innocence that I like even if it's "grown up".

I'll occasionally do without the power glory notes (only occasionally, mind you!) as long as that tone I love is there...

On my Xmas playlist this year, this has a place of honor next to Stevie's Someday at Christmas...

WOW that is something...I'm sure Clay will be honored.

I think here the more lush instrumentation does add to the song compared to the GMA version. I love the guitar and cello combination.

Yeah Quiana..and Kelly's they use it as a vocal showcase...with Clay...I think he is more concerned with the message ...he is not entirely perfect here either...but it sounds really real.

hey its another David Foster song...I suspect they will collaborate more in the future.

I loved Quianna's version both years of the JNTs and it made the hair stand up on my arms, but Clay's version makes me feel it and it is a song that seems so like Clay to me.

This is me too. Seeing Quiana sing this song live, with that soulful voice, gave this song an entirely different flavor. It gave me chills.

Clay's version is much more gentle, and yes, I can see the calming effect atinal. The combination of Clay's voice and the hopeful lyrics just give me a different kind of goosebumps....

Who did the original of this? I know DF is behind it...and I wonder if Clay realized he would be working with DF when Quiana was singing this song two years ago (and even earlier if I remember right)?

For me, the brightness of his voice makes this song - too many (including Quiana) made it...heavy. The brightness adds a innocence that I like even if it's "grown up".

I like that descriptionKAndre it's also a song that you feel like Clay could sit down and sing "unplugged", well since that's basically what he did on GMA. I think it will always be a favorite for me.

My friend Judy who went to Merrillivle with me, really loved this song.