The Academy Awards

ldyjocelyn

Hee I'm really glad they let Beyonce sing the rest of that song solo...its her only real show stopper in that show...she deserves to sing that on her own.

and hey..muski...I think you were psychic...heres the red dress with her boobs lopsided and in danger of coming out.

that was a great number.

Well Beyonce is really more pop voice...and Jen is old fashoned soul gospel sound...But I think the person with the strident voice is the third girl...ouch her solos glory note was not good at all.

WOW...dreamgirls must;ve split the votes...but I am glad Al;s movie got another award.

Well, I believe that Jennifer totally deserved her awards for this movie. She was born to play Effie White, and I don't remember the last time I was so moved by a performance as I was by her singing And I'm Telling You in that movie. I do wonder though, whether her talent will translate to any other role, much less a non-singing one. I just can't imagine trying to top the year she's had - and it will be a miracle if she can avoid the backlash that instant success in America generally comes with.

ETA: Now there's an upset I'd love to see - Will Smith winning for Pursuit of Happyness. I loved that movie, and he was terrific in it!

EATA: I think Beyonce was something like the fourth or fifth listed writer on Listen. There was some dispute at the start as to whether she'd actually get one if it did win. (They limit it to 4 I think)

Edited by cindilu2

We can play the six degrees game with Will Smith. When he was doing "The Fresh Prince of Belair" Tyra Banks played his friend/love interest for awhile. Clay was on Tyra's show and now some wonder if Tyra might be Clay's friend/love interest.....

Jody Foster always looks classy and great.

Since I never saw any of the other Best supporting nominees...I can;t say if Jen is MORE deserving...but I do think she deserved the academy award. I usually hate over hyped movies or acotrs and I was sceptical with Dreamgirls cos I wasn;t a Jennifer fan during AI3...but I was totally moved by her...I cried and I cheered and I Knew that she was giving a once in a lifetime performance.

Helen Mirren? Gee, what a surprise. I only saw Penelope Cruz and Meryl Streep in their movies...so I can't really speak with any kind of informed opinion. But Penelope was really, really good.

I'm really curious about Little Children...anybody seen that? I LOVE Kate Winslet. It looked as though she was a little teary there when Helen was giving her speech. 5 nominations, no wins yet.

Helen Mirren? Gee, what a surprise. I only saw Penelope Cruz and Meryl Streep in their movies...so I can't really speak with any kind of informed opinion. But Penelope was really, really good.

I'm really curious about Little Children...anybody seen that? I LOVE Kate Winslet. It looked as though she was a little teary there when Helen was giving her speech. 5 nominations, no wins yet.

Here is the website for "Little Children". I had never heard of it! http://www.littlechildrenmovie.com/

I know Helen Mirren was the heavy favorite - but I haven't seen any of the movies.

The top two acting awards were predictable. But I'm really liking the touching speech from Forest Whittaker. He's such a good actor. I'm not sure if I want to see that movie though.....

Gee, with "the three amigos" presenting, this seems like a set up for Scorsese to win. We'll see.

Yes, he won! About damn time, and I'm not even that fond of his movies.

I didn't realize Leo wasn't nominated for The Departed, but for Blood Diamond. Wow. I swear, he's so good. And he seems like a good guy. Seems I rememberr a story early in the post AI2 frenzy---Clay being somewhere, maybe like the Billboard Awards or AMA or something and someone said that Leo walked over and shook Clay's hand and said what a great voice he had...Anybody else remember anything about that?

Ok...off to bed...night, friends! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Helen Mirren?

I just saw the Queen the other day. She was excellent and most deserving IMO. Haven't seen the others.

I thought Jennifer Hudson did an excellent job in Dreamgirls, her singing was superb and her facial expressions were great but I'm not so sure about getting an award for acting. Cate Blanchett's performance was far superior but the movie was about an icky subject so maybe that's why she didn't get it.

I just happened to see The Queen the other night as well. Fantastic movie, and Helen Mirren IS the Queen. Amazing.

Dreamgirls just arrived today from Netflix. Don't know when I'll get to it, but it will be soon.

She definitely became the Queen. I watched an interview with Helen and she said she didn't want to imitate her, she just wanted to capture her complexity and essence.

You'll have to let me know how you like Dreamgirls. I think I'm alone, I wasn't blown away. Maybe because I saw the Broadway show years ago and was literally BLOWN AWAY by it. I even own the original tape of the Broadway cast and played that tape (yes it was a while ago) solid for about 6 months. It was produced by a guy named David Foster.

I fell asleep during the movie and wasn't even interested enough to go back and rewatch what happened when napping. The singing was wonderful, however, the story lost something on the bigscreen, the characters weren't as interesting. Maybe if I hadn't been so hyped and had nothing to compare it to.

Edited by sheiladownunder

She definitely became the Queen. I watched an interview with Helen and she said she didn't want to imitate her, she just wanted to capture her complexity and essence.

You'll have to let me know how you like Dreamgirls. I think I'm alone, I wasn't blown away. Maybe because I saw the Broadway show years ago and was literally BLOWN AWAY by it. I even own the original tape of the Broadway cast and played that tape (yes it was a while ago) solid for about 6 months. It was produced by a guy named David Foster.

I fell asleep during the movie and wasn't even interested enough to go back and rewatch what happened when napping. The singing was wonderful, however, the story lost something on the bigscreen, the characters weren't as interesting. Maybe if I hadn't been so hyped and had nothing to compare it to.

I think that is a common problem of making movies from Broadway plays...he story loses its intensity and immediacy when its in the big screen IMO. I loved the music of Dreamgirls but I wouldn;t say it was a fantastic movie. I love Jennifer Hudson though.