FCA: MAD - Brainstorming

Couch Tomato

Being a beta alpha chapter with members all over the country, coming up with ideas might prove a bit challenging. Or, maybe not. Let's use this thread to brainstorm. Put all ideas here because even if it's not doable it may trigger something in someone else.

THese are the approved fundraisers at TBAF... I know just seeing what people came up with was a bit inspirational - http://www.thebubelaikenfoundation.org/def....aspx?tabid=172

I had an idea of something to sell, just don't have a design yet (and it's not something I'm good with either). How about a bookmark? Something with a cool Clay design, but also having information about inclusion. It would be something to investigate as far as printing costs, and maybe lamination costs, plus of course, mailing costs.

Anyone think that might be doable?

I like that idea. I was also thinking of perhaps having a "yard sale" on ebay. Chapter members donate something towards it and all the funds go to TBAF. The item could be Clay related or not. I know we have some ebay experts here.

or is it possible to have like a silent auction on FCA. I have some primo Clay items. I'd be willing to part with one for charity.

I like that idea. I was also thinking of perhaps having a "yard sale" on ebay. Chapter members donate something towards it and all the funds go to TBAF. The item could be Clay related or not. I know we have some ebay experts here.

I think this is an excellent idea. People can register their item to be sold with the coordinator, and they can see how much it sells for and the monies received will be due to the FCA for BAF. I think we will have to be willing to sell a worthwhile item in order to raise the money. If this is for Valentines Day, we have to get this done in a hurry...Kel

:allgood:

Oh we're looking ahead - so no rush to do it this month but definitely it can be something we can pull together in a 4 - 6 weeks and have great stuff to sell. I have a wonderful Clay painting of Clay in his green outfit from IT that I "may" be willing to part with. I would need to have a minimum price on it though as it is one of a kind and gorgeous. This will be a tough decision. But I should have a few others rare collectibles in my box to.

Calling Play...our ebay expert... what do you think of this idea?

What you sell does not even haveto be Clay related. It could be related to another fan group or to nothing, as long as it is auctioned off under the the official charitable Id, there will be no fees charged by e-bay or paypal. It just has to be approved first. So I will look into what has to happen to get an official approved charitable auction ID and get back to you on it.

It would be nice if some one to wrote to all the idols (especially Kelly and Ruben) and judges to get donations to add. We might ask Clavegasfan if she would use some of her contacts for the foreign idols. Autographed pictures would be fun and some of the fan bases may get into competitive bidding.

I don't think you should limit contributions to people who are chapter members, anyone can contribute anything, provided it is not trash.

OK. I checked with E-bay and have a few outstanding questions there, but Bubel Aiken is already listed as a valid charity. You can donate and auction to the charity without having to run it by them first.

Only items that sell get the fees refunded, if it does not sell, you pay. Special features do not get refunded - "Buy it now" and additional pictures, beyond the first free one, gallery listing are not refunded.

I emailed them questions about shipping and how the money is exactly handled, do they donate, or is the money shipped to us to donate back.

OK the more I think about this idea, the more I like it so I guess trying to figure out all the steps.

Play is looking into Ebay.

I'm just throwing questions out there...I guess things that will have to be answered and understood.

Would we establish an account just to handle this auction.

Would the items be in one location and mailed out from that location or would people be responsible for their item.

I believe it the fundraiser has to be approved by TBAF. I really don't see what problems they would have with it.

I'd like to see quality over quantity. I think I have 3 items to donate. One is the gorgeous painting of Clay I mentioned earlier. I talked to the artist and she was not miffed that I was considering giving her work to charity. I've asked my sister to snag me a peice of sports memorabilia from her bro in law who was a professional player and manager. And I thought I'd grab something from my company that Clay fans would just love. Hmmmm, wonder if my cousin has something from one of her artists that she can offer. I will ask. I think like Play said, a mix of stuff, doesn't have to necessarily be Clay related.

I guess we have to settle on a time frame. I don't think there is any rush. We can take care and time in setting it up. May or June perhaps.

How do we go about getting donations for this. I'm trying to think outside the box. Think about companies I've worked for or people with connections to donate something nice.

Any thoughts?

Heh, I got a reply from e-bay today. I asked simple questions and I am still trying to figure out their answer. I need to llok up mission fish right now, they said the account has to be registered with mission fish. They did not answer any of my questions. At all.

I need to folow the new link they gave me, maybe that would answer the questions.

Let me add something about letting different people send their own packages - if multiple people run the auctions and it is under their names, fine. If you have one person run an auction, thier reputation is on the line, all you need is one person to screw up and be foolish about it and then all bids will plumet.

You could set up a series of people to ship or check out all people who will ship, your choice, but just randomly letting anyone donate and ship their own stuff, could not go so well.

I have an extra"All Is Well" I could donate for auction. I see on Amazon.com it is listed for 34.95 (lowest amount) I don't know if anyone is paying that for them, but it might bring in a few dollars.

I have a painting I did of Clay that I'd be willing to donate, but it will probably need to wait for another fund raiser since I need it for a show in June

About the auction - you need to decide who will run the auctions - It could be one person or many. You may want to create valid id with the name Finding Clay Aiken.

To run a charitable auction the ID has to register with Mission fish and give them their credit card information. The BubelAiken foundation is already listed as a valid non-profit.

E-bay recinds fees on Charitable auctions that sell - ones that do not sell do not get the fees refunded.It does not include the special fees such as gallery or buy it now. I have to check on reserved prices, to see if they are recinded.

As far as setting it up, it is pretty easy - you just pick a donation amount and they give you the percentage back, based on what you say, it all comes out of your credit card at the end of the sale and then you have to collect from the buyer.

Now I haveto check on paypal.

Found this at the CH:

Updates on the SixDegrees/Kevin Bacon Fundraiser for TBAF. We are still sitting pretty at #1:

TBAF T.

538 Donations

Bubel Aiken Foundation Inc

$15,276.00

Please help us keep TBAF at #1. Link to donate your $10.00 contribution:

http://www.networkforgood.org/Pca/Personal...px?pcaid=102174

Something New for St. Patrick's Day:

Send The Green To

The Bubel/Aiken Foundation

For St. Patrick's Day

This is an official TBAF announcement to give us all something to do for the Beta Alpha chapters from March 17 through midnight March 31st, while we win the pot of gold for TBAF. Click below for the flyer for important details:

msword document

PDF version

Aron Hall will send this to all Beta Alpha chapters. Please also post the flyer on all boards and send the flyer by e-mail so that complete instructions and links are posted. This campaign for the Beta Alpha chapters begins on St. Patrick's Day March 17th, so let's get ready to SEND THE GREEN TO TBAF!

I haven't been following along on the auction information, but here are two books I've chosen for possible donation.

th_forBAF.jpg

The smaller one has an 1864 engraving as the frontispiece.

th_forBAF2.jpg

Let me know if you think these are interesting enough to add to the auction.

Thanks.

ETA. For anyone who didn't see the posts on main, these are blank books that I make. They are made in a traditional manner by sewing the signature over linen tapes and casing in. It's my fun hobby, not a profession!