New Harry Potter movie

luckiest1

Soooo, is anyone going tomorrow? I figure it's going to be a mad house so I'm going to wait until the week after next (after my concerts are over) so I can properly appreciate it.

Can't wait to read everyone's impressions, though!

Yea, I've decided to wait also. I just don't want to be sitting in a jam packed theater in the summer. Even with the A/C it gets too hot with every seat full. But I'm sure looking forward to it and

the new/last book. Bittersweet.....

My tentative plans are to see this with my husband and two friends on Saturday evening. We'll get to see it in digital, but no IMAX. I would kill to be able to do that.

No, my husband said "let all the teen wizards go first, we'll go this weekend...." I love my husband.

My niece and I are going to go tomorrow. Yeah, we might just be crazy. We'll see how it goes! We've both been working very hard to take care of my parents, so we decided to reward ourselves by enjoying the movie. My Mom just had a total knee replacement, and my Dad is totally disabled. It will be good to get away for a few hours!

My niece and I are going to go tomorrow. Yeah, we might just be crazy. We'll see how it goes! We've both been working very hard to take care of my parents, so we decided to reward ourselves by enjoying the movie. My Mom just had a total knee replacement, and my Dad is totally disabled. It will be good to get away for a few hours!

Hope you have a great time...let us know how it goes.

spoiler policy...I guess we all know whats going to happen on this one??? but do y'all think we need spoiler tags??? In this case we just need to change the color of the fonts.

Yah, I'm not to worried about spoilers on the movie.

What I AM WORRIED ABOUT is hearing or seeing anything to do with the last book (which should be in my hot little hands "soon") before having had a chance to read it. I don't read quickly and I refuse to not take my time and get through all of the book just so I won't be "spoiled". As my DH said (he's that cute guy who orders these for me in advance but doesn't care for HP himself......sweet man) "just stay away from the TV and internet until you've had a chance to read it!"

The internet? Uh, yah. Like that'll ever happen. :cryingwlaughter:

I would love to hear reports/reviews on the film! :)

Well, my niece and I went to the HP movie at 12:00 noon today, in a sort of out-of-the-way theatre. No huge screen, but it was digital, had good sound, and the best part - wasn't crowded. Great way to enjoy an opening day movie!

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Anyway, I thought the movie was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Pacing is extremely important to me in a movie - I like it when an action scene is followed by a quieter, more contemplative scene. This movie had great pacing. The story flowed very well.

They did a great job of adapting the book to the screen. Of course, they did have to take out a few things I would have liked to have seen from the book, but overall all of the important things are explained and examined. Which is quite a feat for a HP movie, since JK puts so much in the books!

I thought they did a particularly good job of making Harry a sympathetic character even though he tries to alienate his friends, go it alone, and is angry during most of the movie. You see why he is suffering, and feel sorry for him and admire his courage. They do a good job of showing just enough of his angst that you understand what he's going through without it getting tiresome.

Daniel Radcliffe has turned out to be pretty short, and it really shows when he stands next to Neville and Ron. Daniel really has a nerdy look with the glasses, and with his height, seems to be a very unlikely hero. I guess that works for this story, though!

There were some really funny scenes. I LOVED it when the twins left Hogwarts - great, explosive scene! And Umbridge did an amazing job with her role. She was, of course, extremely unlikable, but a hilarious caricature at the same time. And when Fudge finally sees Voldemort and says, "He's back!" I said, out loud, "DUH!!" Very satisfying.

Anyway, I'm not an obsessive HP fan, so I was able to go and enjoy the movie without nitpicking it. I could probably go on some HP sites and see a bunch of criticisms of the movie, but I'd rather just enjoy it. I'm soooo looking forward to the last book! We may have to get two copies so that my daughter and I don't fight over it like we did the sixth book! LOL!

Edited by Gibby

Thanks for your review Gibby...I am glad they kept the twins exit...

Yup ...I think Daniels stature and look helps with the role of Harry...he really's supposed to be an unlikely hero.

I can;t wait to see this.

Well - we went to the 4:30 showing today at the IMax Theatre in the Air & Space Museum. (4:30 was the first showing today in that theatre.) We got there about 3:30 and there was a pretty long line, and it was sold out. (I bought our tix online last week!) They let us into the theatre about 4, and it filled up pretty fast! I'm really glad we got fairly high up, because the screen is BIG!!

I wasn't worried about spoilers either and I know what you mean about the book spoilers. I am getting mine right after midnight in the wee hours of the morning of the 21st, and I'll read it for as long as I can stay awake! I solemnly swear I will never spoil the course of the story in Book #7 for anyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF MOVIE SPOILERS THO......

My absolute favorite scene, and the one I was waiting for, was the one where Umbridge gets led into the forest and meets up with the centaurs. Priceless!!

As usual they had to cut a lot of stuff out, and they changed a few things, such as, there was no Marietta, and no tea shop scene in Hogsmeade, and they condensed most of the twins shenanigans into one scene.

I liked the initial DA meeting in the Hogshead, and thought it was true to the book. I loved the Room of Requirement and thought they did a great job of showing their time there! They did change the plot a bit showing how they eventually got caught tho.

And Draco, was not in very many scenes in this movie!! Maybe they are saving him for Movie #6 - THBP! Or maybe they will use a different actor for Draco in that movie, since he plays a fairly major part.

The acting of Umbridge and Luna Lovegood were great! I heard it said that they stole the show!!

END OF SPOILERS - must go to bed!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Thanks for the recaps! It's been a while since I read the book that this movie is based on, and my memory is shit, so I probably am not gonna realize when things are being left out of changed. :lol:

Probably a strange question, but is Hagrid in the movie much? I luuuurve me some Robbie Coltrane, and always get excited when he is in a scene.

Thanks for the recaps! It's been a while since I read the book that this movie is based on, and my memory is shit, so I probably am not gonna realize when things are being left out of changed. :lol:

Probably a strange question, but is Hagrid in the movie much? I luuuurve me some Robbie Coltrane, and always get excited when he is in a scene.

Not a lot - more than Draco tho!! Or about the same.... There's the scene when he returns in his cabin, and then when he takes the trio into the forest. I can't remember any more!!

I forgot yesterday that at the IMax, part of the movie was supposed to be 3D.... the last 20 minutes or so. I was so caught up in the story that I forgot all about it! I'm seeing it tonight again, and I'll make sure to take note this time!! :RedGuy:

This is a different director again isn't it?

Is the plan to use a different one on each film?

I wonder why, although it is interesting to see the different styles don't have all that much of an impact on the films.

And I see where Chris Columbus is no longer appearing in the "production" credits.

just thinking out loud

carry on :)

Yes, it's a different director, and he's already contracted to do the sixth movie, too. I think he did a great job, so that's good by me!

Two of the criticisms I've read about this movie are that it didn't flow that well, and that it's just a placeholder for the series. I think that a few of the reviewers that said that it didn't flow actually haven't read the books, so they didn't know what was going on in the movie. In fact, a few of them came out and said that they hadn't read the books. I didn't have a problem with the flow and transitions, at all! In fact, I thought that some of them were quite artistic.

As far as being a 'placeholder '- hmmmm. The thought is that the movie (and book) didn't really advance the whole plot all that much. Voldemort didn't change during the movie, and he's as much of a threat at the beginning of the movie as he is at the end. However, I think that the plot was advanced in several ways: the wizarding world now knows, and believes, that Voldemort is back. Harry learned a lot more about his connection with Voldemort, and how he needs to resist it. Harry learned that he's a lot like his father, but that his father wasn't perfect. The realistic teenage changes in Harry are explored, mainly hormones and volatile emotions. And Harry's had his first kiss.

cha cha - I'll be interested to find out if you notice anything different when watching the movie a second time! I'll be going again this weekend with my hubby and daughters.

Just saw it. Loved it.

SPOILERS

But as usual I wanted more. Because I know there is more. I wanted more scenes with the Order of the Phoenix and more scenes with the DA. But I don't know what I would have wanted cut out. It did feel a bit rushed at the end.

I also thought they did a good job of portraying Harry's feelings of isolation and anger. This was a dark book and I'm glad they were as true to it as they could be. But no Quidditch scenes, very very little Hagrid and very little Draco. There were some younger children next to me that got quite restless toward the end.

I loved Luna, she was spot on.

And Daniel's all grown up. Took me a good 10 mn to get past the eyebrows w/the shorter hair. :ph34r:

Edited by jamar1700

I went and saw the movie last night by myself because I was going stir crazy sitting home waiting for my concert to get here. :lol: I will be going again, probably next week, with friends.

I liked it. I wonder how it would be to see it as a stand alone movie, though (i.e. if you hadn't read the books or seen the previous movies). I think it might not flow as easily and might not make a lot of sense. I couldn't get over the change in some of the actors, especially the one who plays Ron Weasly - they still used camera angles to make him look much shorter than he is (like they did last time) but his face seems to have really changed, too. I almost didn't recognize Dudley, Harry's cousin.

I was glad for the few scenes Hagrid was in! And I cried when Sirius died, even though I knew it was coming. I was really impressed with the acting, especially Harry. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

My husband and I went to see it, along with two friends who have only seen the movies, not read the books.

My review: I loved the casting of this movie. The lady playing Umbridge was perfect; Luna's casting was also fantastic. The acting by most of the actors is very very good, and I think Daniel Radcliff has improved greatly over the past few years. I also think that Emma is a good little actress too.

I liked the movie as a whole, but I think they really started to cram a lot of stuff in at the end of the movie, and I also feel that they didn't explain a lot of stuff very well -- stuff that I think will have to be explained better in the next movie. The whole thing felt very rushed to me.

I think my problem with books 5 and 6 (and hence, this movie) is that J.K. Rowling really didn't have contained stories any more -- those two books felt like build up for the final one. Books 1-4 all gave the mythology, but at the same time had stories that felt finished by the end.

My friends who went to see the movie with us were just OK on the movie -- the one in particular said it was just a lot of Harry trying to figure out who he was and not much more than that.

I do want to see it again, because I think I missed a lot, and there were a few things that I need to see if they mentioned during the movie or if a certain plot point was missed. I may wait until the DVD comes out though.

My second daughter, who is reading book 5 right now...tried to watch the movie on line last night. She couldn't continue after the first 30 minutes cos she was upset that they took off a lot of scenes. I told her she should wait to watch it on the moviehouse or when its out in DVD so she can just enjoy the movie with all the effects.

I really think book 5 and book 6 is really part of the end. it is all building up to the final confrontation.

It sucks that this has been pushed back until summer 2009. With all the books out now, how long can they continue to postpone the movies and string people along? I sure hope that they are mostly filmed by now, because the "kids" are no longer kids.