Aug. 19, Orlando, FL

Ansamcw

We should have an FCA get together in Vegas! :RedGuy:

Yeah!!! That would be fantastic.

ETA:

From CV:

Jerome got a standing ovation. Violinist was enjoying the heck out of the show. Music playing very loud so hard to hear. No, didn't give Mary money. She played the piano. Sat down with Jesse and said she'd been practicing the piano. She was so shy but now she played piano. Theme from Ice Castles. Signed the three stools in front of them so they can auction them off. Did the cool thing with a woman up in the balcony. Put the spotlight on her--that motion, shoulder, knees, butt--had her doing it with them. She's up in the balcony and he's way over there doing that cool thing. She thought he won AI and she told him she lived in FL and needed a recount. Everything very exaggerated--all the dances and everything. After the break, Jesse went to the drums and Sean sat down--they played the opposite. Quiana took over the songs from him, he took the microphone from him and they changed stools. She was great. Very cute. On and on with the lady up in the balcony.

Suzanne--about the violinist. We've been watching this guy for the last four nights. Totally getting into it. He said they have just enjoyed this sooooo much. This group had never played together before. He was amazed with Clay's voice. When he comes back, he assumes they'll get to play with him again.

Couple in the balcony who got engaged. Somebody down here on the floor told him and he made it into a funny bit. He asked them if they were really engaged or did they tell that to the fan on the floor to get rid of her but it was true. Didn't come in the audience because now he falls on his butt so he didn't come down.

Glowsticks? Many, many. Suzanne, retrieved the handcuffs. He did let Angela put them on him tonight--both hands. Then he couldn't get them off right away.

When Jerome was introduced he just walked out--low key. Right now Jerome is standing on the stage with a whole harem of women talking to him and asking him questions.

Edited by Gibby

From CV cellcerter:

About the only jokes were Angela (?) and Clay changing places and him doing backup. Jesse's piano messed up. The pedal...the foot pedal. He was talking like he knew, had done it or had it done. Some of the sweet ladies around her kept saying, "Oh, I hope they get the pedal fixed." "Because You Loved Me"--he wasn't as emotional as he was in Cary the other night. Sweetest smile on his face. I think he's tired, too. He looked a bit relieved. He didn't really look emotional. Sweetest, most content smile on his face. Bridget did think he looked like he might cry. I did notice at the end of "thank you everyone" and telling us he loved us that his eyes did look welled up but it passed quickly. He's so sweet. Preaching to the choir, ain't I?

moving some pretties, recaps and review here:

From Invisible926. Purdy.

tagIMG_4659.jpg

OrlandoDCAT1.jpg

OrlandoDCAT6.jpg

tagIMG_4659.jpg

orlandadcatcuffspk4.jpg

Well, I’m in a weird state—sad that the concerts are over but glad to be leaving the heat and humidity of Florida (which has damned near killed me.) After the last 3 lovely venues, Hard Rock was, as one Claymate declared, the venue from hell. We had to walk (I swear, this is only a slight exaggeration) about 5 miles in stifling heat to get to the venue from the biggest damn parking garage I’ve ever seen in my life and then the security was confiscating cameras, GLOW STICKS (?????), and water bottles and even some people’s smiley face lights. I mean really, this was beyond ridiculous. THEN, the seats were cramped together so that when people tried to pass in front of me I finally just gave up and stood on the seat. The concert started 1/2 hour late even though the orchestra was sitting out there ready. I swear I think the venue wanted us to buy more booze, and you all know what drunks we Claymates are at the concerts. (Good luck with that.)

Finally, people started stamping their feet, and the lights dimmed and the orchestra started with "Here You Come Again". Clay came out on our right, looking just great with those bangs, jeans, dark (black?) shirt, lighter (gray, maybe) linen jacket. Sounding good. "Everything I Have" was beautiful. Really.

When it was time for "I Want to Know What Love Is", Clay looked side to side and then turned to Angela who started singing, but then Quiana sang the next part, so he was turning from side to side and finally just threw up his hands, sat on the stool and faced forward for awhile. He changed the ending up a bit and did the contest of the notes with both Q and A, with some LOW notes with Q and then very high.

Then, he looked over and saw that there was a chicken McNugget’s box on the floor in front of Q and he asked her if there was a reason she had it. Q said that the box said “fish McNugetts” and I think Clay said something about a dead fish—I guess on a piece of paper. Q, said, “Remember” and told about the girls whom they saw at the McDonald’s who said that the chicken had fish in it, but Clay said, “They don’t ever let me off the bus.” (Shit, I guess there’s no point in following the bus!!!)

Clay talked about being at the HR,“I’ve always thought I belong at the HR with and that’s where I’d be most accepted by my peers” and then he named off a few: Nickelback, Kid Rock. He said, “I fit in best where there is an open bar” and Q corrected him and explained that an open bar is “free” and Clay said “I’m not as well versed in the liquor as you are” and said something about how he hopes she keeps all her clothes on.

Clay talked a little about some of the things that had gone on during the tour—bats, for instance. Angela said “They scared the crap out of me.” Clay said that a bug went down A’s bosom (and he repeated the word 3 times, for emphasis.) He said, “He hasn’t found its way out yet.” Angela said, “He doesn’t want to!” and Clay said, “I think he just suffocated!”

He introduced Ethel, who was there in all her smiling glory, and he explained how earlier in the tour, she had wanted to put barbecue sauce on Sean so she could suck him up! Ethel apparently had barbecue sauce sent backstage and Clay said he had personally put barbecue sauce on his finger and rubbed it behind Sean’s ears.

THEN, (and this took titanium youknowhwhats for him to deal with) he said, “Some people think that Ethel gets too much attention, but if you were willing to make a total fool of yourself, you’d get attention too.” He said he joked with Toni last night as well and that people had been being mean about it (and he clearly didn’t appreciate it). He said, “Maybe you people don’t like black people.” (Ouch) “We are a family here and all this booing and being mean to people needs to stop.” Then he talked a bit about Bob and Linda. He said how Jesse and Sean have their own little group of fans and people were sort of calling out and he said, “You people have turned this into the Jerry Springer Show. We need happiness!” He said some of this in a joking way, but it seemed pretty clear that he would talk to whom he wanted to and he didn’t expect them to take flak because of it. (Good for him and enough said.)

He started singing "When I See You Smile", and—of course—the whole place lit up with smiley faces, which brought a smile to his face. Someone gave A & Q smiley face lights and A’s was quite large and Clay said, “Size doesn’t matter, ladies.” (Right, he can say that!) Clay started to cough at one point and couldn’t sing, so the audience started singing the words. He said after the song, “I gagged on my own throat” and did an exaggerated cough. When he sang "Right Here Waiting", he grabbed his bottle and took a quick drink between phrases. On “chance” he held the note about twice as long as usual.

When WW started up, he ran backstage for a minute, and when he came back he said, “I had a piece of Hard Rock in my throat, but it’s gone now.” He talked about music and all the “classical instruments” and asked if anyone was playing the recorder, “I could have joined. I can play 3 blind mice.” He chattered on about how he always felt like the President when he watched WW and how he watches good things but Q would rather watch “Who’s you baby’s daddy?” types of shows. He said that Q watched any kind of show that had someone in a black robe and then they talked about Eye for an Eye and how the guy had a baseball bat to beat on things and asked why she was watching that (or something like that)and Q said, “because you watch it too!” and he said, “Whoops, yes I do” and said it was funny. Then he started talked about the theme songs making him who he is today. He did the usual Facts of Life and Brady bunch with pantomimes. Talked about how stupid he was at AI and said, “I’m looking for the one person in the room who hasn’t heard this story before. He picked one person, but “OH CRAP” that person had heard it. He finally found a concert virgin and said, “Oh good, fresh meat.” So, then he explained to that person how he had brain-farted. Then, on to talking about shows and asking the person who his/her favorite show was and said, ”Don’t see AI. It hasn’t been good for years!”

He said that Fl was a special state because you never know what way it will go, so they’ve had competitions in Fl. Said that Ft. Myers was good, Tampa (held up hands and made a face—not so good). Then he said, “WPB may not know how to punch a hanging chad, but they can sing.” He divided us up into 3 groups and we all stood and sang lustily. At one point he looked up into the balcony and yelled, “Is there a nursing home up there? What are you doing sitting down?”

Clay did the pole dance with Angie (although not on the pole), down and up. During the Jefferson’s song, Clay was a dancing fool.

Q sang the “hit” in hit parade tonight and so Clay repeated his part 2 more times so she’d have to keep doing it and each time, he threw his arms out, like in a cheer.

A big bug started circling them and A and Clay were slapping at it. Angie said something like it was trying to find her shirt and she bent down and said, “You can come too.” Clay said he was afraid he might swallow the bug and when he started singing "These Open Arms", he did it with his mouth closed for a couple of lines (very funny.) He asked Jesse if something was wrong (I hadn’t noticed) and Jesse said that the piano pedal was stuck, and Clay said, “Just hold the keys down.” Anyhow, when Clay went to sit by Angie while Q sang, they were both slapping at the bug, and he was slapping at Angie and said, “I didn’t even try. I just wanted to hurt you.” Then he called out, “You lady there in the second row with binoculars, let us know if you see the fly” and he told Angie that she might want to button the top of her blouse because she was still looking for the fly from last week.

Q ripped into WTLGD.

On "A Thousand Days", Sean was playing the piano and Jesse the drums! Clay stood over to one side so that everyone could see the change. Clay started singing "A Thousand Days", but his mike cut out and he traded mikes with Q and then motioned for her to step out and she started singing , but she sang it like Clay, with all the motioning, etc. She was great, and you could see Clay just enjoying it. At the end, Q pointed at Clay to sing the high note (like he sometimes does to her) and he nailed it! (And said later he had done that note for the first time in his life.) He told Jesse that Sean had taken his job and done perfectly fine. Sean and Jesse switched back again.

"Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" and MOAM were just great and he really ripped it up with MOAM. The audience flat out refused to sit down and just continued to scream even though he kept signaling us to sit down, so finally he yelled, “SIT DOWN. We already started late.”

Then, he did the usual in 2003, 2004, etc. He mentioned the trips he had taken for UNICEF and asked Jerome to come out and said, “Jerome Bell, everybody.” Then, he talked about BAF and how Q had hated the stools at first because they were ugly but came to like them because they were “cushy, so we thought we’d auction them off.” He explained that 2 would be auctioned for BAF (because we’re poor) and 1 for UNICEF. He said, “We thought we’d sign on stage, and he took a marker and signed each chair, yelling at Q, “Don’t sit down. You might get my name on your fanny!” So, they each signed, and Clay said that he wanted people to know that they were really signed and not done by a machine, “You know how many of you have snuck your video cameras in here, so there’s proof.”

After "Without You" (on which he wailed) he said, “Thank goodness I won’t have to do that song again soon.”

Q had a bunch of the “Lincoln” family there and then Clay asked Sean and acted all shocked, “Your PARENTS are here!!!” He asked them to stand up and they did, with Sean’s father wearing a concert t-shirt. Clay said, “Oh, that’s a nice t-shirt. You got style.” Then he asked them how many shows they had attended—“seven.” Clay said, “You’re practically a Claymate.” Then Clay asked Bob and Linda how many they had been to—121!! Clay thought that was more than he had gone to and asked them if they didn’t get tired of going and Linda said, “I don’t get tired of anything.”

Then, as usual, people started calling out wanting him to wish people a happy birthday, and Clay said if he did for one he’d have to do them all and for anniversaries and for “the first time you” (and made a pause there) and then someone said that a couple had gotten engaged at the concert, so Clay had to a ask about that, “Hold on! You just met them in the lobby and you’re making a fool of yourself for them?” So he said something about singing them a song about love and lifelong happiness—TWYMF and when we all got to the part about “You really turn me on” Clay said, “You apparently turn him on!” He told us to “Sing it to them!” He did some weird robotic type dancing and sort of collapsed at the end with Angie saying, “Come one, tell me. Come on!’ Clay said, “You turn me on too!” Then, he told the audience that he usually tries to go into the audience but “You seem a little crazy and I have a propensity (big words are SO sexy) to fall” and talked about falling on his butt (making people scream) and then he chatted about how we screamed no matter what he said and he tried out a few words, “roast beef, curtains.”

Then, the woman from last night started in with “BOTW” again, so Clay finally asked her to stand up and asked her name—Regina. So, he commenced to chat to her and said “You aint seen me do nothing but AI and you’re the same one who said that I should have won rather than Ruben. Have you hibernated? I have done other things besides sing that song. When we do a tour, we rehearse. No matter how many quarters drop, I’m not going to sing.” When people started to call out and interrupt, he said, “HOLD ON, I’m talking to Regina and I know you are not Regina.” Then, (and the spot light was on this woman way up in the balcony) he asked her what she listened to on the radio and she said 104.7 and he said “that’s [something that sounded like magic], right?” and asked what kind of music they played and he cracked up when she tried to say they played him. He wanted to know if they played cool songs, “I’m not talking about Josh Groban cool.” He also asked Diane, who was with Regina, what she listened to and she said some kind of community radio. Then, he continued with how if you want to be cool you have to be current and how music changes. When they were singing and he and Q were doing that hand dance thing around the faces, he had Regina do it too “Work it out girl!” He also wanted her to clap along, but she wasn’t doing it right so he said, “You got to do it on the beat, Regina. Clap when she claps (and pointed to either A or Q).

When Clay sang Sexyback, A & Q put the handcuffs one again, and then Clay said, “OMG, there’s no key!” but he got them lose.

Clay was dancing around, wiggling his butt, and REALLY partied all night.

“See what I’m talking about, Regina? You understand what I’m saying? It’s been a hard lesson learned. I haven’t always been this cool, this fly, this off the chain, this hip. You’ve got to sing songs about butts.” He said that only the cool people listen to top 40 and hip hop.

A just rocked on Listen. Clay said, “Good Lord, you tore the mess out of that. Angela didn’t want to sing that song when we started, but then she realized she can tear the roof off with that song.”

On to the story about how Jaymes was “adamant” that he write a dong. "Lover All Alone". (sniff, sniff, my LAST TIME!!!)

He introduced the members of his merry little troupe, starting with Mary. He asked Mary if she would like to play something, and she sat down (with Jesse standing over her) and played a little tune, which apparently most of the audience recognized, but I didn’t. He explained how Mary started with them 4 years ago and the first time he introduced her they had to drug her because she had such stage fright but now she was playing for “thousands” of people. She looked pleased. He said that Jamie does everything that Mary doesn’t do, like fixing hair and choosing clothes, “and she’s my cousin.”

Jerome got a standing ovation. He grinned and looked shitfaced happy. Clay said, “If you follow us after the show, you’ll see his mean face.” Introduced Fern, who has worked for everyone, including the Dixie Chicks, “I was the last one left and he’s stuck with me. “ He also said that Fern keeps the bus organized and clean even though it’s not his job.

Clay asked for the lights to be on and talked about how they look out at the audience and see faces that they recognize at concert after concert and said he recognized most of the people in the front row, “These are the crazy one! We carry our audience around with us. We have a bus for them.” He talked about how they didn’t really rehearse for the concert, but just got together for one day in his living room with the girls and Jesse. He talked about how we (the fans) give up our work, our vacations, “your husbands’ money” and how appreciate and thankful he is that we have allowed him to do this, “It’s not lost on me how much you make this happen.” It was lovely, really. I felt so sad.

"Because You Loved Me" was from the heart and the place just lit up with all the smuggled in glowsticks!!!

So sad. So sad. So sad.

ETA an Orlando review:

Clay Aiken packs surprises into a goofy night of fun

Matthew J. Palm

Sentinel Staff Writer

August 20, 2007

Clay Aiken performed "Baby's Got Back," accompanied by an orchestra Sunday night at Orlando's Hard Rock Live. Oh, he performed a spirited rendition of the theme to Welcome Back Kotter, too.

Got your attention?

The show, the final stop of Aiken's current tour, was full of surprises -- most of them surreal. I really never thought I would see hip-hoppy "O.P.P" mixed with Kenny Chesney's "She Thinks my Tractor's Sexy" in a medley backed by violins and cellos. Strangely enough, the more goofy things got, the more the show clicked.

Aiken, who came to fame as first runner-up on Season 2 of Fox's American Idol, has an aw-shucks, goofball persona. With a couple of tours under his belt now, he seems much more relaxed and easygoing on stage than a few years ago.

His nonsensical banter with powerhouse backing singers Angela Fisher and Quiana Parlor -- as well as a steady flow of conversation with audience members -- can make it seem to newbies that they've crashed a private party.

"There aren't many faces in the front row I don't recognize," Aiken teased, "because they're the crazy ones."

And indeed he did know many of the audience members by name, giving them shoutouts or just calling into the crowd to find out where some of the regulars were sitting. Bob and Linda got special recognition for seeing 121 concerts in four years. These fans, called Claymates, mean business.

Despite tight security, which caused the show to be delayed as lines backed up at the metal detectors and the camera checkpoint, many of the faithful managed to smuggle in light-up smiley faces to wave during Aiken's cover of Bad English's "When I See You Smile."

At times such as that, the audience, which included men and women of all ages, was part of the show. There wasn't too much spectacle -- just run-of-the-mill lighting -- though the more than two dozen orchestra members filled the Hard Rock's stage.

The night was well-stocked with cover songs, which make up the bulk of Aiken's latest album, A Thousand Different Ways. Some suited him better than others -- the soaring "Without You" (most recently a hit for Mariah Carey) showcased his tremendous upper range. But he owes Dolly Parton an apology for his slowed-down "Here You Come Again" that sucked the bouncy life out of the song. "Measure of a Man" and "These Open Arms" were other strong numbers that let his vocal ability shine.

Surprisingly, so was the theme to Perfect Strangers.

Which brings us to those odd yet captivating medleys. In the first hourlong set, Aiken and the backup singers vamped their way through themes from Laverne & Shirley, The Golden Girls and Who's the Boss? among others. For a barnstorming version of The Jeffersons' "Movin' On Up," Aiken tore off the blazer he had been wearing and busted a move.

In the second-hour set, a pop medley featured "Like a Virgin," Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" (with Aiken doing convincing backup) and Prince's "1999." The campy highlight was Aiken bringing "SexyBack."

What with the TV songs, the singalongs, the teasing chitchat, the overall effect was of a middle-school sleepover -- a really big sleepover where the class clown got to be the star.