Movies, old and new

KAndre

Ooo, I wanna start this one - the last three first time movies I saw were:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith: I loved this. From beginning to end. From being totally indifferent to Brad and Angelina, I now see them as totally hot. And funny. But it is probably one I shall rent when it comes out.

The Fantastic Four: I am a geek par excellence, and actually purchased Fantastic Four comics as a young geek - like various versions of Batman, Spiderman, the X-men, Blade, etc. etc. etc....but this just sucked for me. Mr. Fantasic was creepy. And stupid. Sue Storm was whiny. And stupid. Johnny Storm was a attention ho. And stupid. Ben Grimm had bad taste in women. And was stupid. I knew America was struggling with their science education, but dang!

Godzilla: Came on network television. Heaven help me, I had to agree with a Robert Ebert review: "Going to see "Godzilla" at the Palais of the Cannes Film Festival is like attending a satanic ritual in St. Peter's Basilica. " At least I didn't have to do that. That was incredibly bad. Makes me miss Mystery Science Theater 3000 something fierce.

I loved Mr. And Mrs. Smith as well. I had the same reaction as you.

I saw Batman Begins the other night and damn, it was GOOD. Really good. Seriously good. Christian Bale is HOT and talented, and, luckily, Katie Holmes really isn't in it all THAT much. <g>

And those are the only two movies I've seen in a theater for some time. <g>

I'm trying to figure out when I stopped going to movies... so I can only talk about rented stuff.

The last 2 movies I saw by rental were:

Hostage: I hated it. And I hate when I hate Bruce Willis movies because I have been inappropriately in love with that man since Moonlighting. He's so black for a white guy. LOL. Anyway, the main problem with this movie for me is that I didn't give a flip about his wife and daughter. I just cared about the kids in the house. It was also very predictable.

Diary of a Mad Black Woman: OK, I had a fear that I would hate this movie but I didn't. I laughed. I cried. Yes it was very smaltzy and not very original but the characters were likeable..well all except Steve Harris. I wish his chacacter had been more 3 dimensional but all in all not a waste of 2 hours.

Ok gotta chime in here...

Some of you may know that I live in a small town in the middle of Quebec Canada...so the nearest English movie house is an hour away and the movies come pretty late... and I have three daughters so the VCR and DVD's usually play disney, Sponge Bob or some pre-teen movie...anyway...

Batman movie...loved it. Had to watch this from a bootleg download that was shaky since my codecs are all screwed up...But it grabbed my interest from the beginning that I watched this shaky movie till the end. I think this is my favorite Batman of all because they didn;t treat it like a comic book but more like a novel about real people. Batman was very real...and I like the fact that the love angle is not so stupid...they treated each other like intelligent human beings...they were honest and also made realistic choices. Hope they continue this series in the same style...

Madagascar...love this film, so much more than Shrek and Sharktales...I could watch this again and again...good thing because my 4 year old watches it everyday.

Hoping to get a download of Chocolate factory...if its good...my daughters love the Gene Wilder version.

I rarely go to the movies but I did decide to join my dh & 2 grown sons to see Batman Begins. I went just because I felt like I was spending too much time online and I wanted to spend time with my 'men'. My dh & dss love comics & graphic novels but I'm not into those at all. They all love sci-fi too & I'm not into that at all. I wasn't expecting to really enjoy the movie. However, I absolutely loved it. The movie did just a good job of telling the story in a realistic way, and I've loved Christian Bale since Newsies. :) I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

The last DVD I watched was The Pacifier. That's another one I want to own. Vin Diesel is fantastic, not bad to look at, ;-) & the humor was hysterical. I am a big Gilmore Girls fan so I wish they had done a little more in exploring Lauren Graham's character but other than that I really loved the movie.

I can't wait to see Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. I loved the books as a kid & read them both to my children. The Gene Wilder version initially disappointed me because it doesn't follow the heart of the book very well. I learned to love the movie anyway. The promos I've seen for the Burton version appears to follow the book very well. I have heard wonderful things about the movie so I will definitely go see it as soon as I can.

Edited by diamondjake2001

Aw, nuts. Fantastic Four was stupid? I have been looking forward to this because I have the hots for Julian McMahon (Dr. Doom). Was he at least any good?

Oh also - I was bored this weekend (I'm getting over a cold and was in for a weekend of sitting on the couch) and I rented the full first season of "Fat Actress" because I couldn't find anything else I wanted. I really didn't even want to see this because Kirstie Alley just bugs me for some reason, but it was really good!! I especially liked the two episodes with Mayim Bialik (Blossom) in them - she is really funny. And Leah Remini saying the F word over and over again as she told Kirstie off made me laugh really hard. I don't think I've ever heard her say that word even though she has that 'tough girl' attitude.

Rottentomatoes.com trashed Fantastic Four. So i took it off my list of must see movies.

My mother and i were horrified by The Pacifier. I used to be mad about Vin Diesel. What happened to him?

Oh, but War of the Worlds was a great summer movie. Except the kids. I wanted the kids to just die. But Cruise can act his butt off. Forget that he is crazy and in a cult. Go see the movie.

For rentals, I suggest MAnic with Don Cheadle and Shattered Glass with Hayden Christensen. Very intense stuff but great acting.

For rentals, I suggest MAnic with Don Cheadle and Shattered Glass with Hayden Christensen. Very intense stuff but great acting.

Thanks for the recommendation. I love Don Cheadle and have ever since Picket Fences. He was the only worthwhile thing in Devil in a Red Dress...and I love Denzel...but that movie was Boring with a capital B..except when Don Cheadle was on the screen.

If you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda I highly recommend it.

The last movie I saw was Bewitched -- I thought the script was a bit of a mess but there were some hilarious moments in it -- mostly Will Ferrell's. If you're familiar with the original series, there are a couple of things in it that are falling-on-the-floor funny. Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine were amusing but mostly wasted. It was an interesting premise and it didn't quite work, but it's certainly worth renting when it comes out on DVD.

Edited by Pink Armchair

thanks for the comments on Bewitched. I used to love that series and was really looking forward to renting this on DVD. I love Will Farrell but I was wondering if he meshed at all with Nicole...she jsut seem so glamorous that its hard to believe she would fall for Will...but I think he is one of the funniest actors today.

He was the only worthwhile thing in Devil in a Red Dress...

It was Devil in a Blue Dress and wha????

I really liked that movie but Cheadle was my absolutely fave thing about it.

I have got to get out and see Batman. It looks good, I'm suprised it is raking in more money. They say this is one of the slower summers in years for movie profits.

Edited by S.O.L.

If you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda I highly recommend it.
Amen to that, but make sure you bring some hankies with you cause you will need it. Don Cheadle was amazing in this movie.

Sometime in April, which was an HBO (or was it Showtime) movie based on the same Rwandan crisis was also very good.

...and I've loved Christian Bale since Newsies.
Oh my... Christian Bale. *le sigh* I have loved him ever since he played that oft whiney and irritating kid in Empire of the Sun. I am so glad he is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

I watched Finding Neverland recently and loved it. Johnny Depp really is an amazing actor to go from the campy Pirates of the Caribbean to such a subtle performance in Finding Neverland. I cant wait to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Speaking of Pirates.... did y'all know they are filming two Pirates of the Caribbean movies simultaneously. More Johnny please!

I watched Aviator last night and found it long and depressing. The thing is I could tell it was a well made, well acted movie. It just seemed to ramble on and on.... like his making of Hells Angels or whatever that movie was it took him 3 years to make.

Him getting out of the room and going to testify before Congress almost made up for everything though - those were great scenes.

Our conversation after the movie -- Does Pan Am and TWA still exist? Have the both gone bankrupt or swallowed by others?

I watched Aviator last night and found it long and depressing.  The thing is I could tell it was a well made, well acted movie.  It just seemed to ramble on and on.... like his making of Hells Angels or whatever that movie was it took him 3 years to make. 

Him getting out of the room and going to testify before Congress almost made up for everything though - those were great scenes.

Our conversation after the movie -- Does Pan Am and TWA still exist?  Have the both gone bankrupt or swallowed by others?

I think they got swallowed by others. I seem to remember hearing about merges in the past.

I find I am having a big problem with movies based on real characters...I just hate not knowing how much of it is fictionalized and how much is reality, specially if you fall in love with the characters. There is always the cynical part of you wondering how much of it is true.

I just watched Finding Neverland. I know this is a fictionalized account of his James Barrie's inspiration for Peter Pan...but I cannot help but wonder how much of Barrie's character was captured by Johnny Depp. I was surprised by how much I was moved by this movie...specially by the acting of the little boys, particularly little petter Davies. What a wonderful boy and a very real poignant portrayal. And Johnny Depp's acting was so good, so real. This is a great movie, I'm glad I caught it in Movie Channel.

My favorite movies:

A Walk to Remember

The Sixth Sense

Selena

Secondhand Lions

A Cinderella Story

Titanic

Harry Potter series

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Executive Decision

I have more favorites, but I just can't think of them.

I have never seen the Aviator... it sounds like a great movie!

My favorite old movies are:

The Women (1939 version only!!)

All About Eve(Bette Davis)

Dark Victory(Bette Davis)

The Importance of Being Earnest (not the remake:shudders:)

Blithe Spirit

Hobson's Choice(John Mills/Charles Laughton version)

Stairway to Heaven(David Niven)

Enchanted Cottage(Robert Young, Dorothy McGuire)I bet Clay would LOVE this one too.

Anything with Fred Astaire

Most things with Gene Kelly too

The Quiet Gentleman(John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara and gorgeous Ireland)

Hmmmmmm, I seem to love sarcastic humor, great dancing and anything deeply romantic.

I olve old movies too...

but I'm a sucker for Cary Grant movies and Audrey hepburn movies...

I just suck at remembering the titles...

I think I saw The Quiet Man, The Women and All About Eve and I loved all three...

I also love old movies... and I love bette Davis. All About Eve was a great movie but my favorite was Now, Voyager. Oooh I think I need to pull that out and watch it again!

One of my favorites is Sidney Poitier. The man was just so regal. And while they definitely downplayed his sex appeal, due to the times, it still came through. He could just do it all. Band of Angels, The Defiant Ones, Raisin in the Sun, Lillies of the Field, To Sir, With Love, In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner..CLASSICS ALL. And he has a book called Measure of a Man LOL. What's not to love. He learned to speak English listening to the radio. He's just fascinating. Oh, he and Diane Carrol had an affair and they agreed they would leave their spouses and then meet. She left hers. He didn't. So the man definitely has some personal foibles but everybody FD*(S_ up in life some time. He is still a trail blazer and one whose success opened up a lot of doors for others.

Speaking of GWCTD, I love Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy together. What a pair.

Oh yes I think I have watched all Hepburn and Tracy Movies...I sometimes think Katherine can get OTT but not when she is with Tracy. I can never forget the scene in Woman of the Year when she tried to make breakfast for him. This scene since then has been copied in so many movies but its great to see the masterful way they did that.

Sidney Poitier...you are so right about him...what a regal and handsome man. Wonderful actor. The other actor that I love is James Stewart another fascinating man.

I feel sad though that my girls hate watching old movies. I used to love it as a girl...the afternoon movies as soon as I got home from school. But now, they even refuse to watch the 20 year old movies...specially if they are balck and white. But at least I got my middle daighter to watch Its a wonderful life last christmas and she really appreciated it.

The screwball comedies like Bringing Up Baby and musicals like Seven Bridges for Seven Brothers and anything with a dancing Gene Kelly. High Society. Those are great flicks!

I also love old movies... and I love bette Davis. All About Eve was a great movie but my favorite was Now, Voyager.  Oooh I think I need to pull that out and watch it again!

OMG Couch, someone else in the world that LOVES Now, Voyager? I was totally blown away by that movie. I love old movies too; Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, In the Heat of the Night, just so many classics. There was also a British remake of Rebecca starring Diana Rigg that I found superb.

Last two films I saw were "I Walk the Line" and "The Family Stone"; both were excellent films.

hee instead of a book club we should have a movie club.. every other week watch a movie and discuss it..each person picking a movie. That would be fun.

Might be the only way to get me to watch Harry Potter LOL.

Now Voyager is the bomb...i just went to look for it and realized I never got it back from my cousin!!

I'm a ho for Gregory Peck...I actually did a telehone interview with him in 1978! His voice...GAH!

And yes, Jimmy Stewart...

I could watch Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor dance all night. I love all the old MGM musicals.

Anybody ever see a movie called "I Want To Live!" with Susan Hayward? OMG...what a tear jerker!

As I said...a lot of the old movies I watched were when I was a girl watching afternoon movies after school...thats why my mind is a big ol swiss cheese and cannot remember the titles...

I know I've seen several Susan Hayward movies and they were usually tear jerkers.

Couchie...what a wonderful idea about the movie club.

I guess the problem is finding the movies and getting to watch it. That is a big problem for me since I live in french speaking quebec and our video store does not keep too many old english movies.

I discovered bit torrent lately but not all movies are available..but if you guys can get the movies in your area...I think this will be really fun!!!

what we can do is people can nominate movies to watch...

then we can have a poll...and see what people most want to see that week...

so any takers?

I just watched Unconditional Love for about the fourth time - it is just so funny and sweet and weird, I recommend it highly!

Cathy Bates, Rupert Everett, Jonathan Pryce, Dan Ackroyd, Barry Manilow, that pretty dwarf lady who is showing up on House and Boston Legal, a bunch of other people - I went ahead and ordered it from DeepDiscountDVD, so I would have it to watch whenever I want.