CLAY CHAT -- September 20 - 21 9PM EDT

Couch Tomato

FCA Chat

Thursday, Sept 20 and Friday. Sept 21

9:00 - 10:00 PM EDT

Come for one or both nights -- heck, come for only 5 minutes is that's all you can do with your busy schedule!

Ansa, LdyJ, and I have set up a tentative schedule for the two chats - the plan is a "quick burst" approach, 20 minutes per topic (shorter if the conversation stalls). Therefore, here are the topics, so that anyone can formulate their posts ahead of time if they so choose....

Thursday:

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved? Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition? How much time do you spend on your fandom?

What would you considered a "blowtorched puppy" -- in other words, what could Clay do that would make you stop being a fan?

How do you feel about "shipping Clay?" Why do you feel that way?

Friday:

How does Clay combat the tabloid media?

Should Clay be a "superstar?" A "pop star"? An "entertainer?" Or all of the above? Does he really have to choose?

How do you feel Clay's voice has evolved over the past 4 years?

We will send reminders all next week.

Don't worry about typing slow, or having nothing to contribute....you'll find your way....

One minute!!!

OK, I've now got the time to start!

QUESTION ONE:

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved? Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition? How much time do you spend on your fandom?

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved?

It took me quite awhile to discover messageboards, and I evolved from lurking to posting. However, I go through periods when I don't post a lot--especially if there's a lot of angst. I'm pretty much the same in my feelings about fandom now as when I started--I just want to have fun and enjoy Clay and the concerts.

Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition?

Oh, hobby, for sure. I've seen some Clay addicts--serious bigtime--and I find that a bit scary. I'm pretty clear about that I have no relationship with Clay at all and never will and have no say in his life and never will--and don't even care to. I've met him once (and that was really nice as I wanted to get a closeup look at the man), but I don't plan to sign up for any more M&Gs because I would feel too much like a stalker. (Well, maybe in 10 or 20 years!!) I don't spend more than I can afford on Clay. I don't go in debt for him. I don't proselytize for Clay. I don't talk about him to non-Claymates.

How much time do you spend on your fandom?

This is a hard question. Some days and weeks--almost no time at all. Some times an hour or two a day--although usually I check CB each morning for new topics (2 minutes) and then check in somewhere (here at present) for a few minutes every hour or 2 during the day to break up the monotony of sitting at the computer for hours on end writing about medical stuff. Now, if there's something special going on--like a cellcert or THIS chat, then I'm there for the event--unless something intervenes. I don't change my life plans to accomodate the fandom except for concerts.

well my fandom sure has evovled but I make a distinction between my role as Clay's fan and my participation in the online community. Both have evolved quite a bit.

First ...I really think Clay has evolved in his career that I do not worry about him anymore. I think my role is simply to enjoy myself as the consumer and buy his products ...go to any concert I can and watch him on TV. I no longer feel like I need to do anything to promote him or to "help" him. He does not need me to meddle in his career. He has all kinds of professionals to help him

When it comes to the fandom...I used to think that I had a role too...In my old board I used to worry when there is too much negativity. I always felt like I had to add different perspective to put a balance on posted about Clay and TC. Now...I realize that the online fans will think what they will and the ones that like to wallow in the negative will do so whatever I say. So now I just want to have fun. I post when I feel like...I say what I want to say and I stay away from the useless angst and drama as much as possible.

I consider it very much a hobby. I am not addicted cos I have stayed away from it. I spend a few hours a day...but more in talking to my friends...which is quite independent of Clay.

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved?

I think my fandom has become more intense. I never thought it would continue let alone get stronger.

Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition?

Duh! I need a 12 step program.

How much time do you spend on your fandom?

Too much! I am alone almost every night and it has become my substitute for TV, which I hardly even look at any more.

Well my fandom has evolved in that I've found balance. I still spend a lot of time on him... every day I'm doing something ...participating on the boards, updating the website, planning a trip heee. But the time I spend on Clay I don't do some other useless hobby, like watch TV. I'm really no longer a couchtomato in real life, only in my clay fandom..

Is it an addiciton.... I've had my moments. I've done a few things I shouldn't have ...like make that second cross country trek for Charlotte and two Raleigh concerts of NAT -- but I think things are firmly in the hobby category now.

I've loved Clay from the beginning but have never been involved in a fandom. I started lurking here at least a year ago and found the people to be so funny and warm so I finally came in. Had this board not been in existence I probably wouldn't be doing this at all.

Hobby not addiction but it has involved more time than I ever anticipated just because its so fun. When it's not fun I pretty much stay away.

Just popping in to say "hi". Had to see the cliffhanger for "Ugly Betty".

Hobby , addiction during concert time. I see it as the "pub" where I can take a break and hang out from "real life" a little or sometimes a lot each day. My attraction to Clay is a beautiful mystery to me, as well as everything that has come out of it , including "the community".

I think a "puppy torcher" would be if Clay turned out to be a total phony about who he is . Can't imagine anything else.

I forgot the other question. Was it about shipping? I think it's lighthearted fun- not invested in who he's with. It's just fun.

Ansa, I make a distinction as well between the fandom and being a Clay fan. I've never been disappointed in Clay or bored with Clay or tired of Clay. I listen to him sing and even to this day it's like heaven. His voice just makes me feel good.. Cutting out some of the extra curricular activies has been good for me.

Don't worry about typing slow, or having nothing to contribute....you'll find your way....

One minute!!!

OK, I've now got the time to start!

QUESTION ONE:

Much to the chagrin of some, I'm ghere - opinionated bitch that I am!!! :RedGuy:

And I met a friend for a few drinks after work - so watch out!!!!!!

My part in the fandom has evolved only in the that I have actually met people and become friends with people - some that are friends - not just Clay friends. Otherwise it hasn't evolved all that much. The initial excitement has become more realistic excitement, though.

I definitely consider it a HOBBY! It is not an addiction. As I proved to myself recently, I can walk away fro awhile and be ok. I soend far more time when something is happening - like a tour or something. But with work and all, I don't spend that much time. I don't look for every little bit of Clay news. I don't download every piece of clack.

I haven't even rated my song yet (bad, bad, bad person that I am!).

This is a hobby. IT is not my life. I have other interests and other things to occupy my life.

But most of the time it is FUN and I love it. Bu it is NOT an addiction.

My first post :eusa_whistle:

Not sure whether Clay is my hobby or my addiction. He is probably my addiction and I wish he were my hobby............if hobby is something you do for fun. :hubbahubba: As far as time spent, I spend as much time as I can afford and my family can tolerate. I kinda get the shakes when we are getting ready to go out of town and I know I will not be able to spend my usual amount of time online. So, if that is a sign of an addiction, and I think it is, then, yes.

This board is so fun, you guys !! I have loved the Seussical posting today and I love the respect for Clay shown here .