CLAY CHAT -- September 20 - 21 9PM EDT

Couch Tomato

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved?

I think in my case, my fandom has evolved because of the rest of the fandom. I used to identify strongly with one particular group, and unfortunately, would find myself "pooh-pooh"-ing other "factions." I'm trying my best to not do that any more.

As far as my "relationship" with Clay -- damn it, I don't. Never will either. I still think, to this day, that since I was a fan who really actually fell hard for Clay fairly late in AI, I don't have the "we MUST support him with everything we do" gene. I'm perfectly happy buying everything he does (yes, including ACAC *g*) and buying concert tickets.

Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition?

Depends on the day you ask me. Some days it's simply a hobby, especially when there's not much going on. On other days though....man, I'm all over the board, waiting for the next piece. (Fifth Grader day was a good example....)

How much time do you spend on your fandom?

WAY more than I should, I feel. I get to work, but the first thing I do is log on to FCA. If I'm "working" in my office, I have FCA up. I do my work, and get things done, but I do spend more time than I really think I should on Clay and the fandom.

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved? Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition? How much time do you spend on your fandom?

In the beginning, I was online constantly, checking between multiple boards, refreshing every few seconds. I almost had this fear that if I wasn't on a board, I would miss something of a time-sensitive nature. Of course, back then, I wasn't married, and my job was kind of low-level, so I had a lot more time.

My life is different now. I have a husband and a job with far more responsibilities. However, I think my attitude has changed a lot. There have been times when I found it very painful to be the boards, and so I withdrew. Now, I don't post as often anymore. I like a smaller board like this one because it's easier to keep up with. I still have a need to know what's going on, but I don't require the constant stimulus or "clack hit" that I needed in the early days.

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved? Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition? How much time do you spend on your fandom?
It used to be a hobby. Then it was an addiction. Then it was an obsession. Then I decided I was WAY overboard. And now it's a hobby again. :lol:

The first year, I don't think I slept more than 3 hours a night. For a year. I was tired. Hee. I now sleep full nights knowing that I'll find out when I find out. Sometimes it bugs me tho. I still want to know everything. I'm a board ho. I can't ever imagine not being one.

I work at home though, on my computer, so I'm always online. I find myself sometimes trying to close the browser, but.... it never happens.

Ok, I guess I lied. It's an addiction. :lol:

I just like having fun.

well my fandom sure has evovled but I make a distinction between my role as Clay's fan and my participation in the online community. Both have evolved quite a bit.

Yeah, that.

Clay fan: Still. Still love his voice. Still want to go to shows. Still want to take pictures. I'm not in as much "crush" with him as I was in the beginning... now I just think he's entertaining and fun and pretty cute too.

Online Community: I think I've smartened up quite a bit. LOL!

I don't spend more than I can afford on Clay. I don't go in debt for him. I don't proselytize for Clay. I don't talk about him to non-Claymates.

This is very true for me. I don't spend more than I can afford for Clay...I actually never bought multiple products for Clay...yup bad fan that I am. I think there was only one person I gave MCWL to and thats it. I don't talk about Clay to people unless the topic goes to him naturally...like if we happen to talk about AI or music or anything like that.

1. I have a part in this fandom? I think of my self as someone who slinks about in the shadows and is not noticed much.

2. I consider it a hbby as I evaluate all the things I purchase i what it will do for me (So far, I have bought just about everything, so it must mean something to me

3. I spend a from 5 or 6 hours a day to nothing when I am off the computer. Lately, I have spent less since I have been busy with a real life thing. I do spend way longer on the computer each day, that is an addiction,I check out stuff I want to buy and how it is rated by others, etc. I check the world news in the world newspapers and check several of my e-mail accounts, do e-tasks for money.... Way too much time sitting down

My role in fandom: Pure and simple - enthusiastic audience member. I don't feel any responsibility, don't angst over Clay's career or decisions. I just enjoy the whole thing.

Hobby or addiction - I'd say hobby in terms of my Clay time and activity, but when it comes to Clay's voice, I'd say I'm addicted. His style is so not in the realm of the usual music I listen to, and yet when he has new stuff out, or is touring, I can't listen to anything else. Once I hear his voice during those phases, I pretty much tune all other artists out. That used to bother me, since I'm such a music collector, but now I just accept it, and know that the phase will pass and I'll be able to take in other sounds again at some point.

Based on the amount of time I spend here, I'd say it's close to addiction. Hangs head in shame and says, I'm atinal and I'm a Clayaholic.

heee don't hang your head in shame!! Lift is high.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Baseball fans have a whole lot of games to watch and they take up 3 hours a night..is it an addiction? No. So I don't think time really makes something an addiciton UNLESS you do it at the expense of things you shouldn't.

And I think I did that in 2003 and maybe 2004. Now I spent more time with my family..and can't rest assured that if I move away from the computer for a couple of hours I won't miss anything..and even if I do... so what.

I think I'm less naive than I was in the beginning. And I worry less about him because I know that I have no hand in his career or his life other than buying his CDs and concert tickets. I literally made myself sick in early 2006 with worry -- had to step back from that.

I consider him a hobby. He makes me happy. I've had a lot of fun since I became a Clay fan (mate, babe, whore, bitch).

Probably an average of 3 hours a day, although I'm signed on for more than that in order to be able to check in quickly here and there throughout the day.

ETA: Okay, okay, its probably an addiction or maybe an obsession. I still consider him a hobby and maybe I'm just a little bit in love with him. Okay, more than a little bit. Shhhh, don't tell my dh. :eusa_whistle:

Edited by keldanker

I think I've found balance too... I was staying up til midnight (or later) most nights and then dragging my butt out of bed to go to work... that wasn't working and I knew it wasn't really healthy - I need my sleep, y'all!!! So now I read the board a couple hours at night but still try to do other things I like. I still have too much TV (although no one has more than my sister!) and that will start up again this coming week. I like to knit which I can only do if there's a cellcert so that drags me away from the computer.

I don't let the angst or negativity get to me as much. I used to get pretty upset when everyone would be ranting about this or that... now I just scroll... I've learned who to ignore and gravitate to the funny, happy people.

I consider it an addicting hobby. :RedGuy:

I live alone so I figure the only thing I'm missing is watching lots of TV, which is what I did BC.

TV - now THAT is my addiction!!

Maybe it has something to do with living alone..... Hmmmmm.

In the beginning, I was online constantly, checking between multiple boards, refreshing every few seconds. I almost had this fear that if I wasn't on a board, I would miss something of a time-sensitive nature. Of course, back then, I wasn't married, and my job was kind of low-level, so I had a lot more time.

My life is different now. I have a husband and a job with far more responsibilities. However, I think my attitude has changed a lot. There have been times when I found it very painful to be the boards, and so I withdrew. Now, I don't post as often anymore. I like a smaller board like this one because it's easier to keep up with. I still have a need to know what's going on, but I don't require the constant stimulus or "clack hit" that I needed in the early days.

Jenna!!!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I don't spend more than I can afford on Clay. I don't go in debt for him. I don't proselytize for Clay. I don't talk about him to non-Claymates.

This is very true for me. I don't spend more than I can afford for Clay...I actually never bought multiple products for Clay...yup bad fan that I am. I think there was only one person I gave MCWL to and thats it. I don't talk about Clay to people unless the topic goes to him naturally...like if we happen to talk about AI or music or anything like that.

Oh Lord... for sure... I don't even vote anywhere... I did on Final AI night, but never on anything else. LOL! The boy can take care of his own career, IMO. I'm just here for the ride (should be in a Suess poem, methinks). I NEVER talk about him except with ya'll. And I never worry. I've only been mad on his behalf once... I just can't get into the worry/angst/take care of him mode. I'm just a fan.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Baseball fans have a whole lot of games to watch and they take up 3 hours a night..is it an addiction?

:RedGuy:

Really my online Baseball fandom has really shown me that this is just another fun thing to do with my time. I find that I can walk away and not stress about what's going on on the boards because I know it will all be there tomorrow. And I know that I can always see my Condensed Games on MLB.

---

I don't think I've voted on anything since the AMA Fan's Choice.

Edited by jamar1700

My part in the fandom has evolved only in the that I have actually met people and become friends with people - some that are friends - not just Clay friends.

Hey CG..yeah me too. I have met people and int he beginning Clay held us together. Now, although we share him..it's not what's holding us together.

1. I have a part in this fandom? I think of my self as someone who slinks about in the shadows and is not noticed much.

BWAH!

I agree that my "need" for knowing things immediately has simmered down a bit. After last year, that was the biggest addiction I needed to break. For the most part, I can get by seeing a new picture 24 hours later. The only thing that doesn't fit that is when it's ticket buying season....

I think I started as a protective fan. What could I do to help Clay stick around. Now I am a pretty relaxed fan watching how Clay handles his own career. I am now an onlooker. I don't really care how Clay wears his hair or how he dresses as long as he takes care of his voice and continues to sing. Now the only thing that bothers me is how some fans treat others.

I don't think I am an addict but who knows? Does any addict know that they ar addicted? I don't think of this as a hobby, its just another facet of who I am.

I forgot the other question. Oh the blow torched puppy. If it hasn't happened by now I really doubt it ever will.

Edited by FearofH2O

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved?

When I first found the boards I was afraid to post. Actually, I was afraid to write anything, even in RL. I have some reading/writing issues and I had arrived at a place in my life/career where I could simply dictate to others whenever I needed something in writing. However, I couldn't do that on a Clay Aiken message board. I would sit and cry in frustration looking at that screen and trying to figure out the layouts of the different boards and the keyboard, etc...but I wanted to be a part of this so badly that I finally just jumped in.

With the help of some really wonderful friends, I'm now a posting fool. :F_05BL17blowkiss: Now I have trouble shutting up. :P

It’s my hobby. I don’t miss work because of it. I don’t enjoy my Clay joy at the expense of family or friends. I don’t spend more time or money on it than I can afford. If any thing has changed since this all started, it’s that I have come out of the shadows with the people around me. You know, I have never been involved in any type of fandom before. I think the intensity of it surprised even me at the start. I was afraid of how my family would react, not only to my newfound obsession, but to the degree with which I became involved. Luckily, I have a family who seem to put their heart and soul into everything they do, My daughter with her art and my son and DiL with their sports…and I guess everyone, including my husband, with politics. We tend to love things intensely in my family. And though we may not understand the other person’s passion, we support one another. I guess they assumed Clay was worthy of my admiration or I wouldn’t be giving it, so they just accepted. My pre-parties and meeting with new friends was no different than going to tailgate parties before a game. And while my daughter and I don’t share the same taste in music, we talked about the spot guy messing up during Quiana’s song in Ft. Meyers and watched the video together.

...has the first 20 minutes already gone by?? :cryingwlaughter:

Maybe it has something to do with living alone..... Hmmmmm.

Heh, nice try, Twin. I never watch TV. I DVR GH, but I'm still on August 2. LOL! I watch 24 and baseball and that's it. I just can't sit still that long... unless I'm doing something interactive... like this. :lol:

My first post :eusa_whistle:

Not sure whether Clay is my hobby or my addiction. He is probably my addiction and I wish he were my hobby............if hobby is something you do for fun. :hubbahubba: As far as time spent, I spend as much time as I can afford and my family can tolerate. I kinda get the shakes when we are getting ready to go out of town and I know I will not be able to spend my usual amount of time online. So, if that is a sign of an addiction, and I think it is, then, yes.

This board is so fun, you guys !! I have loved the Seussical posting today and I love the respect for Clay shown here .

Welcome My MOAM2... you know... I still have to work on totally being away from the computer thing. It's tough. When I was in Vegas... I gave myself 30 minutes a day and did ok surprising even myself. Although I did have Muski call me after ever concert that I was missing. :eusa_whistle:

Interuppting with this:

From the OFC

In Loving Memory

of a beloved daughter, mother, sister, grandmother, aunt and friend

Joan McGhee Marbrey

December 1, 1949 - September 18, 2007

I'm sorry.

Who is that???? Should I know???

Balance. That's the key. I think I have found balance (except during concert season). It makes the hobby of being a Clay fan more fun.

I don't worry about Clay. I don't try to Clayvert people. I don't even talk about my fandon with non-Clay fans unless they ask. I don't gift his CDs to people who don't like Clay. I don't consider myself his defender. I don't live and breathe him and I don't even really miss him durind down time like now.

But I still love to drool over hot pictures of him!

Looks like an either/or question but, for me, the answer is "yes." It's both. It's my favorite hobby for sure. But Clay is surely an addiction for me too - I can't get enough of him, I start on him early in the morning, I generally think about him some during the day regardless of what I'm doing, the more I see him, the more I wanna see him. I miss him when I don't see him. Yep, I think that's an addiction. But he's also my hobby in the sense that I like knowing all the details about him but I don't wanna change the details or worry about the details, I just wanna have fun with them.

this makes no sense.