Computer woes

ldyjocelyn

This thread is designed for people to post problems with their computers. Trouble accessing a website? Post about it here. Can't play one of Scarlett's videos? Hopefully someone can help you out. And so on, and so on, and scooby dooby dooby.

And a post that started it all...

ialreadyam, that was an earnest offer. I wasn't teasing. Also, other people have been able to make DVD's of XviDs, you might want to post a question on a techie thread. I know that the bitrate for these clips are a lot higher than usual so it'll help to have a dual core cpu and at least 2GB RAM.

Thanks for responding. I can't find a techie thread, but you probably solved the dilemma. I have the dual core processor but only 1 gig of memory. Shit Crap! I was hoping to use the XVid files so I could play them on my widescreenTV. Any suggestions? Should I just get the Large WMV instead? *sniff* I'll Pm you about your generous offer.

Oh, look... I found it. The Techie thread! Yay.

I need some backup software and picture viewer recommendations for my new 'puter. WinXP. Gracias in advance.

I was using ACDSee and Iomega Automatic Backup Pro -- but they are way old and I don't want to pay for them if they're not the bestest ones. Well Iomega Backup Pro is extinct, so I can't even go there, but I don't want to buy Retrospect unless it's necessary.

I am a backup whore tho, so it has to be good and automatic. It's business and Clay critical.

:RedGuy:

Oh, look... I found it. The Techie thread! Yay.

I need some backup software and picture viewer recommendations for my new 'puter. WinXP. Gracias in advance.

I was using ACDSee and Iomega Automatic Backup Pro -- but they are way old and I don't want to pay for them if they're not the bestest ones. Well Iomega Backup Pro is extinct, so I can't even go there, but I don't want to buy Retrospect unless it's necessary.

I am a backup whore tho, so it has to be good and automatic. It's business and Clay critical.

:RedGuy:

OMG! I remember ACDsee!! I used to have it on another computer a few years ago. And Iomega, do you mean the software that comes with a zip drive? I never used it. grin.gif

This techie thread looks brand new!! Let's put some wear on it! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

So...... you need a good photo indexing application and a backup system. I use Picasa from Google for indexing my photos. And the best part is it's free!! You just download from Google.

Here's the link. It's really good if you get a gmail account along with it because they have a photo hosting service that goes with that, and it's free too.

For backup, do you just mean somewhere to save your photos and vids so if your computer crashes you won't lose them? I have several external hard drives with all my clack on them. The newest ones are Western Digital brand. I think it comes with backup software, but I never bother with that!

I suppose you can find out from their website about the backup program that comes with it. Yep - they have it - it says it's easy to use too. Here's the link for that. And here's the main page.

Hope this helps!!! :lilredani:

Thanks chach... I'll look into Picasa. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

No, I mean some serious automatic backup of all my drives (I have 1000 GB internally and about 1200 GB externally -- some of which is backups of all that other data). Iomega shipped a basic backup app with their external drives, which I no longer even use -- that's how long ago it was -- and I must have upgraded to a Pro version. It was great -- scheduled automatic backups of whatever I wanted to happen while I slept.

I work on this system, so backups are crucial. Not to mention the clack!! I couldn't stand if I had to rebuild the clack! Two of the drives are just Clay! Hee.

I know nero had a back up system as part of their program. I am bad...do not think of doing back ups cos I don;t have big enough HD...oh I do just put most of my older clack on DVDs...so I am not really sure if this back up system is what you are looking for but I know nero is great for DVD burning. I don't know how well it works with vista though. I couldn;t use my old one in my new computer but maybe they have a new version. If you are using XP...then you are all set.

Is there anyone here who, in the past few years, have switched from a PC to a Mac? My PC is going on 4 years old now, and from time to time, it acts up. I've been looking at a Mac for about 3 months now -- partially because I don't want to go to Windows Vista, partially because I'd like to be able to use EITHER a Mac or PC (basically, another job skill to add to my resume).

My main question is about the clack I have -- can a Mac play stuff I have downloaded in wmv file format? Avi? Mpg (and I think most of those are mpg-2)? Also, if someone did do this, how hard was the transition? Was it difficult or easy or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks in advance.

When I tried to play an AVI file on my friends mac she was asked to download codecs.

I never tried playing wmv files yet. But I do believe macs use mov for quicktime.

I actually am loving my vista now. Since my computer is more powerful than my old one it is able to handle all the vista stuff. The only problem I had was doing itunes and playing AIV files...but a simple search for solutions I was able to solve them.

I think Vista is getting a bad rep because it is difficult for older machines to handle it...but if you are used to a pc and buying a new computer anyway...I suggest going ahead and getting Vista.

I think Mac is great if one is willing to pay for it and if you are really computer novice and just going to learn things now. It would be easier to get used to the way the mac works. But for a long time PC user...like me...that like flexibility in programs...I would stick to a pc.

I'm having trouble playing anonymous' xviD avi files of the Golfing for Inclusion clack. They downloaded just fine, but when I open them in WMP, I get no sound! I tried also to open them in Real Player, but it won't open at all "due to incompatibility with the sound files."

I have Windows XP and WMP 11.

Oh, and I tried playing Scarlett's xviD files of the HOI again last night, and they worked just fine.

Finally, I did a little web searching on this last night, and it said I should download a program called GSpot (which detects what codecs you have/need to play a clip). I did so....and then the program kept shutting down on me when I uploaded the Golfing for Inclusion clips!

HELP!!!!