Uncasville, CT -- Dec. 9, 2007

ldyjocelyn

I'll be honest too and say that if there is clack of Spamelot I will probably download it, but I really hope the fans are respectful of the fact that this isn't a Clay Aiken Show, that Clay is not the star and this an ensemble with other actors and not do anything to embarrass Clay.

Kim

Unfortunately over the years the attitude seems to have become that it is a right and not a priviledge to take Clack. We have been very lucky that Clay has turned a blind eye to it and sometimes encouraged it. Clack taking on Broadway is illegal and I can just imagine the headlines about Claymates and video taping, if they got caught. Also this show is not all about Clay despite what we think! There are a lot of other people to be considered.

I am lucky enough to be able to go but if I'm honest I'm not sure what I would do if Clack became available through back channels.

ITA. It's not going to be pretty. And who'll get the blame for it? Why, Clay, of course.

Exactly. Clay will take the brunt of it and that is a huge fear for me. I know I can't do a thing to stop it but I still worry about what happens to him when/if the clack is there.

He will definitely be the headline....no doubt in my mind.

I'm actually glad Clay said something now..because really people just need to get used to the idea. I haven't seen anyone hating on Clay over it. Frankly discussion over it is good. I see disappointment and that's also understandable.

And of course we're used to it and expect it because it's always been there. I don't even bother to tape clay on TV anymore. I just know it will be there. So a whole lot of people have a whole lot of adjusting to do.

And Clay really should do this from his blog. The one time he asked for no clack to be taken I don't think it was. Of cousre I'm old and can't remember what that is now.

Muski doesn't use View New Posts. Glad you're home babe..hope to see you one day next week!!

BWAH! I'm so out of it! On the main thread I just posted the quote about Clay not wanting clack taken of Spamalot, not aware of the discussion going on here....

I hear ya, couchie. I think it's basically up to the people who take/want to take video or pictures. Do they want to risk getting thrown out? arrested? I understand that Broadway's a bit different from some auditorium in Anytown, USA, re: illegal videotaping. And then...if they ARE successful getting the video, what do they do about sharing it?

IF Clay really does feel this way about it, he should make it very clear by addressing the fans in his blog, IMO. Then, those who still choose to do it, do it with no ambiguity about anything.

Yep...I'm lucky enough to be going to one performance. (That is, I have the show tix---the money for the airfare and hotel are still TBD and I hope this trip actually happens.) And I wish everybody who wants to see him in the play could get a chance to do it.

Lord knows I FLOVE the clackgatherers who make it possible to see so much of Clay's concerts. But I have to say that I'm looking at Clay's Broadway debut differently. This is NOT the Clay Aiken Show. And the majority of the audience will NOT be there for the express purpose of seeing Clay Aiken. He will be sharing the stage with accomplished theater actors and whose 'home' he's visiting.

I wonder....is it possible for Clay to be on stage without "I love you, Clay!" shouted out or flashes going off or...and I bet he's wondering, too.

Yeah this is going to be a big test for the fandom...

I just hope we don't start going at each other about it cos it would be a long 5 months if that is the case.

There will be people that won't be able to adjust as easily but hopefully the atmosphere in the theater will help people control their usual reaction to Clay.

But it is within our control not to encourage it. Not to wink-wink, nudge nudge (tmJohn Cleese), 'if it happens to end up on our hard drives.' It's the spirit I guess, not the letter. In my opinion, it's the same as saying 'screw you, Clay. We want what we want.' The true definition of 'clack' is going to rear it's head. It's not going to be pretty.

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic in my view, but to me this is similar to the scalpers. I think we all agree that if people would just stop paying the scalpers their exorbitant prices and remove the market, then scalping would stop and we'd all have a shot at decent seats once in a while. But the bottom line is, the market will always be there and scalpers will always get their take. It's the same with Clack. We can say don't encourage it and it will stop, but the bottom line is we all want to see Clay as often and as close as we can. The clack market will always be up and running. At least the Clack Goddesses don't charge for the service. And I do agree that any Spamalot Clack should not be vaulted or put up on YouTube. If it's available through back channels, then I say "Yeah baby! Bring it on!"

Unfortunately over the years the attitude seems to have become that it is a right and not a priviledge to take Clack. We have been very lucky that Clay has turned a blind eye to it and sometimes encouraged it. Clack taking on Broadway is illegal and I can just imagine the headlines about Claymates and video taping, if they got caught. Also this show is not all about Clay despite what we think! There are a lot of other people to be considered.

I am lucky enough to be able to go but if I'm honest I'm not sure what I would do if Clack became available through back channels.

Merriee, I'm pretty sure that Clack taking is illegal not only on Broadway, but pretty much everywhere else (TV tapings, orchestra performances, etc). No one had a crisis of conscience before. It's true that Clay has turned a blind eye to Clack taking recently, but I remember a time when it wasn't ok and Jerome would hunt you down and hang you up by your toenails - and still people persisted. Look how often Clay has made a comment about people "stealing my show" - I think he's not entirely jesting when he says that.

At any rate, I know we're not all going to agree on how to handle it and that there are going to be some really strong opinions on the matter. I just hope it doesn't turn into a 'good fan, bad fan' mentality, or that people get ostracized because they took Clack.

Personally I don't live my life by what Clay tells me. If he told me to jump off a bridge I wouldn't do it! If he told me to buy a certain product and I had no use for that product nor any desire for it, I wouldn't buy it. I don't donate to the BAF when he tells me to either.

IMO, IF someone can DISCREETLY get some clack (i.e. without anyone in the theater knowing about it or being disturbed by it), then what's the harm? There are other Broadway videos on YouTube, so it appears people other than "us" take video at Broadway shows frequently.

As for sharing it - if I have a chance to download some DISCREETLY gathered clack, I'm downloading it. I honestly don't see how doing that hurts Clay. I suspect the producers of Spamalot know he can't control the actions of his fans. If they don't want clack gathered then maybe they should be diligent about searching bags and purses - and tossing anyone out of the theater they see taking pictures or video.

It's their show after all.

Personally I think he should be more worried about flashers and 'I LOVE YOU CLAY!"s than DISCREET clack gathering.

And, if the producers were smart, they would announce BEFORE Clay starts his run that after he is done there will be an official DVD of the show with Clay!

And a cast recording with Clay.

And a poster of that ad from the NYT suitable for framing.

If they make it, it will sell. :D

Does anybody remember that thing CLay asked us not to film? I'm trying to remember if we listened or not :cryingwlaughter:

CG..I think any discreetly gotten clack will end up on you tube.

I wonder about but am not going to guess about how the fans will act.. I still think with so many shows spread out over so many days..you're not going to have a house full of clay fans all the time..maybe on the weekends..and opening and closing night. Scattered all through the theater..our collective energy won't be the same.

Bookwhore

but I remember a time when it wasn't ok and Jerome would hunt you down and hang you up by your toenails

hee oh Jerome used to be a bear.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a 'good fan, bad fan' mentality, or that people get ostracized because they took Clack.

Me too

I honestly don't think it's going to turn into that big a deal. I don't know why..not even worried.

Does anybody remember that thing CLay asked us not to film? I'm trying to remember if we listened or not :cryingwlaughter:

CG..I think any discreetly gotten clack will end up on you tube.

I don't even remember him asking not to film something - and I am sure "we" didn't listen! :cryingwlaughter:

And yup, any discreetly gotten clack will probably end up on YouTube, but then its up to the producers to ask that it be taken down.

And even if it did, I still don't see the harm. Its just a play! How would it hurt Clay if it ended up there? Did it hurt David Hyde Pierce that there was video of him in the Sir Robin role on YouTube? Did it hurt the play?

Well they had it taken down..wonder how long it was up there cuz wasn't there lots. ANd crap..but I didn't even get around to watching any of it. But I kinda want to go in cold anyway.

I think we did listen... oh now my fuzzy mind is starting to think...this was before he had a blog I think..and word sorta went out through the fan boards that the fans were asked not to take clack because it wasn't his show? THis is going to bug the shit out of me.

In New York City, anyone convicted of making unauthorized recordings "in a place of public performance" faces a $1,000-$5,000 fine and/or up to six months in jail for a first offense, and a $5,000-$10,000 fine and/or up to a year in prison for a second offense within one year of the first. Offenders are also subject to civil penalties.

Here's the harm. It is illegal!

No one is waiting in the wings to attempt to discredit David Hyde Pierce and I'm not talking about just the "haters". David Hyde Pierce was a known entity on Broadway and tv. Clay doesn't have that benefit.

Clay will have to prove himself on Broadway because we all know his detractors will take any and all opportunities to make sure it doesn't go easy for him.

I'm actually glad Clay said something now..because really people just need to get used to the idea. I haven't seen anyone hating on Clay over it. Frankly discussion over it is good. I see disappointment and that's also understandable.

You haven't been checking other boards much have you. It is all Clay's fault because he does not tour to their neighborhood, so he owes his fans clack of this,.

WHen people ask why he tours certain places I feel the need to pull my population of the country map again.

Personally I don't live my life by what Clay tells me. If he told me to jump off a bridge I wouldn't do it! If he told me to buy a certain product and I had no use for that product nor any desire for it, I wouldn't buy it. I don't donate to the BAF when he tells me to either.

IMO, IF someone can DISCREETLY get some clack (i.e. without anyone in the theater knowing about it or being disturbed by it), then what's the harm? There are other Broadway videos on YouTube, so it appears people other than "us" take video at Broadway shows frequently.

As for sharing it - if I have a chance to download some DISCREETLY gathered clack, I'm downloading it. I honestly don't see how doing that hurts Clay. I suspect the producers of Spamalot know he can't control the actions of his fans. If they don't want clack gathered then maybe they should be diligent about searching bags and purses - and tossing anyone out of the theater they see taking pictures or video.

I don't do everything Clay tells me, but he is quite aware of fans and some fans believe it is their right to trash Clay's friends and family over trifiling things and get hyper critical of Clay over third hand reports, not facts, sometimes over things that known liars say.

There is no such thing as discreetlty taking clack and there is no such things as stopping the posting of any clack. I was with the people in the trenches with the bad note at youtube and it was a losing battle.There are some fans who have to famewhore about everything, even posting other peoples stuff on youtube without permission. it isso easy to ask permission.

If an NJU sees someone taking Clack, they will come back with their cameras and flashes, just the way it is.

I was especially interested to hear Clay talk about how he doesn't like to be filmed when the girls are singing.

In New York City, anyone convicted of making unauthorized recordings "in a place of public performance" faces a $1,000-$5,000 fine and/or up to six months in jail for a first offense, and a $5,000-$10,000 fine and/or up to a year in prison for a second offense within one year of the first. Offenders are also subject to civil penalties.

Here's the harm. It is illegal!

That harm is to the taker of the video, not to the actor. That risk is up to the individual. I doubt it is enforced too often or there would be no Broadway clack on YouTube and there is.

And we should also be aware that there may be non-internet fans who might take videos and pictures - just like I suspect the majority of flashers are non-internet fans.

I just think that if someone wants to try, its on them. If they get caught and prosecuted, its on them. BUT in no way would it hurt Clay. The only way it could is if he was caught asking people to video it. Clearly he is not doing that.

Look, I understand it is illegal. It is also illegal to distribute video of any copyrighted material - like TV shows - yet we do this all the time. I just don't see how this differs. Clay doesn't own the TV shows he is on. He doesn't own the material he sings. He doesn't own the orchestras with which he plays. And he doesn't own Spamalot.

I find it a bit hypocritical to say one doesn't endorses clack gathering for Spamalot because Clay said he doesn't want it yet one laps up as much other clack as possible.

I am not a law breaker. But it is not against the law to watch clack and I would not feel an ounce of guilt if some surfaces and I watch it. I am as moral as anyone here, but I do not see any harm TO CLAY if I did watch any that MAY surface.

ETA: The taking of clack will not discredit Clay unless he promotes it. The haters will find something to use for their agenda no matter what.

As I mentioned before...the problem is ...this will not remain discreet.

I do believe the Spamalot clack was on you tube for quite sometime...I know there is one set of the full show and ones that were taken at various times like the Tony's ...but there was never really a huge enough traffic to draw attention to the videos until the Clay fans started to search....and sure enough...it was taken off You Tube.

Clay performance on Broadway will attract more attention and traffic from fans and haters alike and it will be so obvious that it is Clay;s fans that are at fault...the last you tube videos...was put up by a fan of the show...the producers cannot point to one performer. With Clack...Clay will be the one responsible.

Clay also did not release some sort of law to the fans...he did say he will be embarrassed and that will be upsetting for him. No artist will ever condone such a behavior because the rights of the producers and other performers will be violated so he truly is obligated to try and control this from the beginning.

I find it a bit hypocritical to say one doesn't endorses clack gathering for Spamalot because Clay said he doesn't want it yet one laps up as much other clack as possible.

This ^^^ is offensive to me. I don't "lap" up anything, thank you. I don't agree with your view of taking clack of Spamalot..how about we leave it at that and not start throwing words like "hypocritical" around, hmmm? It certainly doesn't make having a conversation very productive.

I still don't see the harm. Its just a play! How would it hurt Clay if it ended up there? Did it hurt David Hyde Pierce that there was video of him in the Sir Robin role on YouTube? Did it hurt the play?

People who will yell "I love you Clay" and "A belated happy birthday Clay" during the musical introductions to vocal performances in a classy theatre don't know the meaning of discrete.

Equally silly to suggest that the level of potential Clay clack can be compared to the level of DHP clack for Spamalot.

People who sell tickets to stuff think that giving it away is an impediment to sales. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. I don't know the answer, but I do wonder. Clay's tour ticket sales have decreased in proportion to the increase of the amount of Clack of his tours that is available. Causal?? Maybe; maybe not. I would never want to abandon clack myself, but I do think there should be more discretion and consideration than there is.

It's just a play? Alrighty then. I thought it was one of the biggest shows on Broadway, and I thought that people in the business considered Broadway to be the pinnacle of the profession. I thought theatre people considered it important be able to concentrate on their work, hence the announcement before each show to turn off cellphones, put away cameras, and even to unwrap any candy or cough drops you plan to eat before the show--but hey, if it's just a silly play, with stunt casting of some stupid no-talent American Idol contestant who didn't even win--who cares whether his performances in Spamalot are taken seriously? It was entirely wrong of me to get so excited about the opportunity for Clay. It's all a big joke any way.

Let me spell it out with no sarcasm. Claygasm, Broadway is not a concert. The rules are different, the expectations are different, the needs & expectations of the actors to be able to concentrate on their performances are different, the enjoyment of the other attendees is affected differently. It's not simply a matter of what's legal.

As to whether Clay will be blamed, naive to think that he won't be.

I still don't see the harm. Its just a play! How would it hurt Clay if it ended up there? Did it hurt David Hyde Pierce that there was video of him in the Sir Robin role on YouTube? Did it hurt the play?

People who will yell "I love you Clay" and "A belated happy birthday Clay" during the musical introductions to vocal performances in a classy theatre don't know the meaning of discrete.

Equally silly to suggest that the level of potential Clay clack can be compared to the level of DHP clack for Spamalot.

People who sell tickets to stuff think that giving it away is an impediment to sales. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. I don't know the answer, but I do wonder. Clay's tour ticket sales have decreased in proportion to the increase of the amount of Clack of his tours that is available. Causal?? Maybe; maybe not. I would never want to abandon clack myself, but I do think there should be more discretion and consideration than there is.

It's just a play? Alrighty then. I thought it was one of the biggest shows on Broadway, and I thought that people in the business considered Broadway to be the pinnacle of the profession. I thought theatre people considered it important be able to concentrate on their work, hence the announcement before each show to turn off cellphones, put away cameras, and even to unwrap any candy or cough drops you plan to eat before the show--but hey, if it's just a silly play, with stunt casting of some stupid no-talent American Idol contestant who didn't even win--who cares whether his performances in Spamalot are taken seriously? It was entirely wrong of me to get so excited about the opportunity for Clay. It's all a big joke any way.

Let me spell it out with no sarcasm. Claygasm, Broadway is not a concert. The rules are different, the expectations are different, the needs & expectations of the actors to be able to concentrate on their performances are different, the enjoyment of the other attendees is affected differently. It's not simply a matter of what's legal.

I loved every single word you inked... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Personally, I have zero doubt that clack has negatively impacted ticket sales. It is impossible to prove..but that is my belief.

Personally...

I do hope that the clack gatherers just go to the show and enjoy themselves. I hope they do not feel the pressure to take any clack. I don't think the public vaults should put it up.

I think the only discreet clack that can be taken is audio...so thats the only thing I am hoping for. IF people do get Clack I hope they wait to release it or they pass it on privately.

If I do get offered clack...I will not lie...I will probably take it.

But I do totally agree that the fandom will have to do something about limiting or even stopping this..and we will have to be ready for absolutely no clack at all.

Gee, thanks for spelling it out for me. Clearly I am too fucking stupid to know that Broadway is not a concert.

But....

The rules are NOT different as most venues theoretically prohibit cameras and video.

The needs and expectations of those on stage are NOT different. See Clay's comments about the lights from the cameras affecting the musicians as well as Q, A and Clay.

The enjoyment of the attendees is NOT affected differently. I have had my enjoyment at a Clay concert affected in a negative way by the actions of some clack gatherers. It would have no different if I had been at a Broadway show.

And I am NOT naive. The haters may blame Clay. Some audience members who have heard about Clay's crazy fans may blame Clay. The producers of Spamalot will not and that is who I was referring to.

And I am sorry I offended you jj, but I stand by using the word hypocritical in this case because I do not see the difference so IF you endorse one but not the other, then IMO it is hypocritical. As I have stated above, it is NOT different. One is as bad and as illegal as the other. "We" have just gotten away with it in one instance.

And I can see its getting nasty round these parts already. Didn't take long, did it.

I have had my say. I am dropping it ad moving on to the fun part of this fandom. If you all want to continue discussing it, go right ahead. I for one am getting out before it gets any worse in here.

ETA: Before I go I just want to clarify something. I AM NOT ENDORSING THE TAKING OF CLACK AT SPAMALOT. I just don't see how it differs than the usually illegal gathering of clack at TV show, concerts etc. Simple as that.

I think Clay made a pretty good distinction in the M&G. The concerts are HIS shows...Spamalot and the skating show were not.

HIS concerts...he only has to answer to himself, if the orchestra gets upset because of the flash, if his ticket sales get lower....he ultimately takes on the responsibility since he does allow the clack gathering. Lets face it...Jerome probably knows each and every clack gatherer and could have them taken out of any show if Clay really wanted a crackdown. But Clay lets the Clack flow for his shows because he knows the fans love it.

Spamalot, he is just one of the hired performers...and I don;t know how anyone can be so sure how the producers will react. IF there is a high traffic of you tube videos they keep having to take out...if the audience starts to complain about the clack gathering activity...then who will they go to?

It's gettin' hot in here...

Well I've alraedy said if there is clack I'm downloading it. Ain't even gonna lie about that.

However, the major difference for me this time is that clay asked that it not be done. I really don't care about the other issues. I do wish that it came from a blog and not 6 different people in a meet and greet though and perhaps it will.