Jeffrey Deaver and other favorite authors

S.O.L.

I know just about everyone is a Potter addict here except me. Currently, I'm reading Deaver's new book. It's a continuation in the Lincoln Rhymes' series and it jumps right into the action.

Is anyone else a fan?

I LOVE Jeffrey Deaver, and now after seeing Danzel play Lincoln,, he is who I picture! SOOO I will have to get the newest one! Thanks for letting me know!

I really like the Lincoln Rhyme series, too. I was generous, though, and gave the new one to hubby to read first.

And if you like Deaver, you'll love Harlan Coben. He uses a new cast of characters in every novel, and there are constant surprises and lots of suspense.

Now you got me! I've read all of Deaver's books at my library. Got one of his quotations pasted above my computer. See, I try to write myself. I love to write stories and books for children, but have hard time submitting. Scared of rejection. Deaver said "rejection is a speed bump, not a brick wall." Great attitude, but I need an injection of determination.

:) Love mysteries. Has anyone read Edna Buchanan's books? She was a journalist at a Miami paper and now writes about her experiences and fiction. I feel like I'm in Miami when reading her books. She writes about Cuban coffee and the last time I was in Miami, I had to have Cuban coffee, am now addicted. They also have quava pastries. Yum!

My confession: I'm writing a Claymate Mystery. Got five chapters down. It is not fanfic as I've seen on other boards. I think it is unseemly to use Clay that way. It is about people who are fans of Clay. No romance here at all!!!!! Of course, my characters talk about Clay, buy pins and go to concerts, but they have their own lives. I may have Clay as a character at the end when mystery is solved, but very small reference. I have no plans to publish it, as I am using Clay's name. If it is good, I will send it to the fan club. If it is not that good, I still had fun writing. :lol:

Claywright, that sounds interesting.

I am a huge Jeffrey Deaver fan. I've read everything he's written. I love the Lincoln Rhyme series the best. I also collect Steven King, although in recent years he seems to be recycling themes. Still, I just finished his most recent book, "Cell", and it was pretty good. Some new twists. I was disappointed that he didn't write his usual little rant to the fans at the beginning, though. I look forward to those almost as much as the stories!

One of my all-time favourite books is Clive Barker's "Weaveworld". He can be a bit gory in his other books, but this one is more fantasy than horror. Another author I really enjoy is Tami Hoag. I am currently in the middle of "The Messenger". I loved her "Ashes to Ashes" and "Dust to Dust" sequel.

I love Clive Barkers Dreamworld!!!! totally fascinated by the horror fantasy aspect...I read other clive BArker books and love them...I am also an avid Stephen King fan...

I'm just finishing the Dark Tower which is excellent...if people are interested we can start other threads for other authors ....

Reviving this thread, which seems to have morphed into a discussion of all authors and not just Jeffery Deaver.....

I decided that this summer I was going to finish Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Believe it or not, I must have been too busy in 2003 to read the 5th one. :cryingwlaughter: I found my bookmark sitting a couple of chapters in. So I started over and read the whole thing in the last couple of weeks. I have to say, it has renewed my faith in Stephen King! Because I've been struggling with his last few novels. Lisey's Storey took me forever to get into, but I persevered and managed to finish it.

I was shocked when I found a Harry Potter reference towards the end of book five. Blew my mind! Just never expected it, I guess.

So I have two more Dark Tower novels to get through and I am really excited about them. Has anyone finished the whole series? I read a rumour that Stephen King is working with someone to make these into either a series of movies or a TV mini series. Now that would be cool!

I am also anxiously awaiting the new Harry Potter novel. But there is probably another thread for that....

luckiest, I have never read the Dark Towers series. I meant to, but had a hard time getting started on the first one. It was a long time ago. I think when I am settled down in my Clay hobby, where it doesn't consume my every waking thought, Hee I want to try and get back into reading. I haven't read a book since I discovered Clay. Pitiful, too, because I love to read. My favorite book of SK is The Stand. I like his early work better than his latter efforts. I was starting to be a little disappointed in some of his novels, too. The last few I read, I can't remember which ones they were, took me a while to get into. Usually his books grab my interest from the very first chapter.

Clive is pretty good. So is Dean Kuntz & Wes Cravin. I also like Robin Cook. He writes hospital medical thrillers. Patricia Cornwall is a good author, if you like police crime type stories. Scott Turow is great at writing stories about legal cases etc along with John Grisham? There are a lot of great authors out there. I never got into the Harry Potter thing. I sometimes think I am the only person in the world. LOL

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I did Lisa...thats what blew my ipod...I downloaded all the dark tower audio books and listened to it non stop. I read up to the third before.. so i started from there...but then I backtracked and went and searched out all the other books referenced in the series. It is such a trip...so great. I went through all kinds of emotions. its wonderful.

yup there is another HP thread...looking forward to that. and I am excited to get into that discussion.

anyway...if there is interest we can start a Stephen King thread. I am a nut for it. The reason why I watched Jericho in the first place is because i was thinking it would be like The Stand.

Haven't read any latest SK though.

I do enjoy scifi series there was a time I looked for every Frank herbert and Isaac Asimov book I can find.

Ah, so cool that you guys responded in here. Thanks!

I stopped reading for a couple of years when I discovered Clay because all my time was spent reading the message boards. The only time I read was with my son, and that is how I got through the first few Harry Potter books. I think my family got pretty concerned because I was never without a book in my hand up until then. So last year I started again.......I had a pretty good pile of books waiting for me by that time, because I kept buying them up and not reading them. LOL.

My favourite authors are Stephen King (have everything he's ever written), Jeffery Deaver, Tami Hoag....don't mind the odd James Patterson and Dean Koontz but I don't buy them. I also loved the Jean Auel Clan of the Cavebear books (hee, I have eclectic tastes). Recently I have read and loved books that have Clay connections, like the Kite Runner and Three Cups of Tea. I bought The Places in Between but it is a difficult read (i.e. boring) and I haven't finished it.

ansa, so cool that you have read (or listened to) all the Dark Tower series! I am in the middle of book 6 right now and going strong. I was a bad girl and read the bit at the end by the author (I love when he writes to his "constant readers") and I read his journal. That was pretty freaky - I had no idea that he basically predicted the date of his accident before it happened. While my favourite SK book is definitely The Stand, I love the way he is bringing elements of so many of his other books into the Dark Tower series and tying things all together. I will be sad to get to the end of book 7 I think.

Clayzorback, I never watched Kingdom Hospital, but I always wished I had started (again, too busy with Clay stuff, I guess!) I am pretty picky about movies and mini series made from SK books - some are good, most are not so good. The original The Shining and The Green Mile and the Shawshank Redemption were all A-OK in my book. Oh yeah, and the original The Dead Zone. I have "It" on video tape but except for my son wanting to watch it, I haven't watched it since it originally aired. I bought a copy of Stand By Me on VHS at a garage sale the other day that I'm going to watch one of these days. I'm kind of intrigued about this 1408 movie that they are advertising because I remember the short story it is based off of.

I was in Chapters the other night with my son (who is into all the "Manga" books right now) and I saw a brand new Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King) book called "Blaze". I have no idea when I'm going to get around to reading that.......gotta finish the Dark Tower series and then wheeeeeeeee the next Harry Potter book. Maybe September.........

The Shining was very good. Of course I love me some bad boy Jack Nicholson, too. I can't imagine any other actor being able to play that role. Loved Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. I loved those movies and thought they were made exactly as written.

You are peaking my interest in the Dark Towers series. Could you list the book titles in the order they are to be read, for me? I never could get that straight which one to buy next? Hee

Here they are, courtesy of that good ole bastion of accuracy, Wikpedia.

*ducks from all librarians*

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (1982)

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three (1987)

The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands (1991)

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (2003)

The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (2004)

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (2004)

They are really different from anything he's ever written, IMO. But this (again from Wikpedia) kind of explains the concept:

The Dark Tower is a series of seven books by American writer Stephen King that tells the tale of lead character Roland Deschain's quest for the "Dark Tower." The Dark Tower is often described in the novels as a real structure, and also as a metaphor. Part of Roland's fictional quest lies in discovering the true nature of the Tower. The series incorporates themes from multiple genres, including fantasy fiction, science fantasy, horror, and western elements. King has described the series as his magnum opus; beside the seven novels that comprise the series proper, many of his other books are related to the story, introducing concepts and characters that come into play as the series progresses.

The series was mostly inspired by the epic poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" by Robert Browning, the full text of which was included in an appendix to the final volume. In the preface to the revised 2003 edition of The Gunslinger, King also identifies The Lord of the Rings, the Arthurian Legend, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as inspirations. He identifies Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" character as one of the major inspirations for Roland. King's style of location names in the series, such as Mid-World, and his development of a unique language abstract to our own, are also influenced by J. R. R. Tolkien's work.

Luckiest...I always have a problem with movie versions of SK books. There is just so much more to SK books than the gore or the action or the fear. So much more underlying themes that the movies pretty much miss.

As a stand alone movie..The Shinning was good. But I liked the book so much more because it made the character less of a caricature. the character as played by Jack Nicholson was not very sympathetic and the Shelley Duvall just didn't do a good job on the wife. I remember when i read the book I was so fascinated at how the character deteriorated and felt it was more powerful cos I felt so bad for the family.

I had similar problem with IT. I love that book because of the theme of friendship and love among these kids and how they redeemed themselves...or The Stand...I loved the grand theme of how societies evolve that really was not obvious on the mini series.

The Sk moveis I loved...Stand by Me... That movie had heart. Its mostly a coming of age movie and totally out of character for SK. I love Green Mile too and shawshank Redemption.

OMG...The Dark Tower...I think that is one of the most clever things he ever did...how he was able to incorporate so much of his other books and even his life in the whole tale. I think it will be very tough to develop for the screen.

shoot I can really get into discussing his books...but didn;t know about his latest ones. I should pick one up from Amazon for the summer.

Luckiest...I always have a problem with movie versions of SK books. There is just so much more to SK books than the gore or the action or the fear. So much more underlying themes that the movies pretty much miss.

ITA. That is why most of the movie versions of his books turn me off. I'm not really into horror at all, and to me, that's not what his books are. Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I say that but it's true. He just has a way of telling a story that usually sucks you right in. If you are looking into reading some of his newer stuff, I'd probably recommend "Lisey's Story" over anything else. It's the first one recently that gave me even a glimmer of the old Stephen King. Other than the fact that it's once again written about a writer, there aren't many recycled themes there. I have high hopes for the new Bachman book "Blaze" because it's an old, old manuscript that he's apparently resurrected.

The Sk moveis I loved...Stand by Me... That movie had heart. Its mostly a coming of age movie and totally out of character for SK.

Cool! My son and I bought this a few weeks ago at a garage sale and haven't watched it yet. Sounds like a good one for a rainy day.

OMG...The Dark Tower...I think that is one of the most clever things he ever did...how he was able to incorporate so much of his other books and even his life in the whole tale. I think it will be very tough to develop for the screen.

I do too. So far there is only sketchy information about what's going on - someone has picked up the option to make either a movie or a mini-series out of the DT books, but who knows how long they'll sit on that option before they make them. I read an interview with SK and he thinks they should be movies. If they are done well I think it could be quite the thing. We can only hope....

I think if the director is someone innovative like the pan labyrinth guy or the guy who did the third Harry Potter took hold of this project...then it couls really be something else. BUT if someone like Christopher columbus gets hold of it...who stays close to the source material and is very straight forward with the treatment...then I dont think it will work.

Maybe if steven Spielberg produces it....cos this is a story with huge scope.

I finished book 6 in the Dark Tower series yesterday. I'm really looking forward to book 7, but no sure I want to delve into it right now, with the tour looming on the horizon. I think maybe I'm going to put it away until September, when things are calmer and I can savour it. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to resist starting the new Harry Potter book as soon as it comes out, though! Last time I ended up staying up all night reading it!

I love SK..have read most of his books...I don't think most of the movies made from them have done the book justice. Stand by Me, I agree is an exception. I also thought Misery stood on its own as a great movie but don't think it captured the tone of the book. The movie was great. The book was even better. The Stand is my favorite SK book. I was just talking to Muski about reading it again.

I used to read SOOOO much...before Clay. Now, not so much. I would like to start again..but I guess I waited too late with the tour starting heee. I mostly like to read about history though. I'll take a period in history and then read like 10 books on the subject from all different perspectives e.g. Vietnam, slavery, Watergate. I also love larger than life historical figures. One book I've been dying to read and it's sitting on my shelf is Empire Express - the building of the first transcontinental railroad. SHUT UP. heee

I also have never read Clinton's book which I have and Gotham - a history of NYC. All of these books are thick enough to kill a person. heee I love to read books by authors of different ethnic backgrounds...my favorite being one hundred years of solitude by Gabriel garcia marquez. Dang I need to read more again. heee.

Loved the Kite Runner and just finished his second book A Thousand Spendid Suns which I loved equally as well.

Also like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and enjoyed Love In The Time Of Cholera. My favorite book is Stones From the River by Ursula Hegi.

For light reading my favorites are the Ladies Detective Agency series and Janet Evanovich's (Stephanie Plum) novels. Janet Evanovich is a departure for me but she does write well and has a great sense of humor.

Loved the Kite Runner and just finished his second book A Thousand Spendid Suns which I loved equally as well.

Also like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and enjoyed Love In The Time Of Cholera. My favorite book is Stones From the River by Ursula Hegi.

For light reading my favorites are the Ladies Detective Agency series and Janet Evanovich's (Stephanie Plum) novels. Janet Evanovich is a departure for me but she does write well and has a great sense of humor.

I love that book also. She's written a number of books, but Stones is my favorite!

Have any of you read Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer? That's our bookclub selection for September.

woo lovereyes......Thanks I'll try your recommendation, Extremely Loud and Incredible Clear.

I also love Barbara Kingslover. She can really spin a story about people. Poisonwood Bible was one of my favorites.

I'm an avid reader and like alot of different genres but not romance. It's Nelson DeMille for a good mystery. Books are such good friends!