FREECYCLE - World community recycling

claytonic

I've currently got a broken down dryer as an accessory in my son's room in the basement. It is holding all his clean socks, LOL. I wonder if either putting it to the curb or putting it on Freecycle would work? I have to get rid of it soon!

Luckiest, you'd be amazed what some people WANT, there are some incredibly creative/artistic people who re-create something out of stuff that someone else would normally want to be rid of.

I've noticed that some people advertise a Freecycle 'open day', i.e. they advertise the date that is one day AFTER their yard sale, so that anything that remains unsold can be taken away by anyone who calls by.

Although its primary aim is to reduce landfill, Freecycle has helped a lot of people who need an essential item (beds, furniture, TVs, kids' stuff etc) but just don't have the funds for it. Many people have large items in working order that they don't need and don't have the time or desire to be bothered with selling it. Freecycle is a win/win solution.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but since it is an environmental issue, I thought it would best be in this thread.

Almost everyone buys sugar. Unless you have a special preference, why not buy the one that has the least impact on the environment in terms of the production process.?

SUMMARY:

Environmentally speaking, the less processing required means the less energy used, less waste products and fewer chemicals.

While whole or crushed sugar cane can be difficult to source in the city, out of the options remaining,
raw sugar is the more earth friendly option
and brown sugar oddly enough is the worst choice.
See explanation below

Sugar and the environment

What's the difference between white and raw sugar in terms of environmental impact? What about raw and brown sugar - are these the same product?

How raw sugar is made

Sugar cane is initially pressed and the juice is then mixed with lime to achieve the desired ph balance and to help settle out impurities. The resulting liquid is reduced through evaporation, then a centrifuge used to separate sugar crystals. It is then dried further to produce granules. The brown color of raw sugar is due to presence of molasse

s.

How white sugar is made

"White" sugar is created in a couple of ways.

Mill white sugar is the result of sulphur dioxide being introduced to the cane juice before evaporation. It effectively bleaches the mixture.

In the production of refined white sugar, which is the most common product in the Western world, the raw sugar syrup is mixed with a heavy syrup and run through a centrifuge again to take away the outer coating of the raw sugar crystals.

Phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide are then added to the juice which then combine and absorb or trap impurities. Alternatively, carbon dioxide is used to achieve the same effect.

The resulting syrup is then filtered through a bed of activated carbon to remove molasses and then crystallized a number of times under vacuum. It is then further dried to produce white refined sugar like we buy in the store.

How brown sugar is made

Brown sugar is refined white sugar with a molasses syrup mixed in, then dried again.

Source: http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/73...-raw-sugar.html