Politics'R'US

djs111

Well sorry to say the rural areas in our district prevailed and went overwhelmingly Republican, so my man lost. I don't think he was surprised, but there was always hope. The good news is that with the Democratic majority in the house, her unfair bills wil never pass. One that really bothered me was having states refuse Federal money for education and instead permit tax credits for tuition to private schools. So what if some can't afford tuition or don't need tax credits.

We have another chance two years from now.

Also Kay Hagen beat Elizabeth Dole which thrilled me locally. Even she , as well as Obama, lost the rural district we are in. Barack seems to be winning in NC but I still haven't heard the final result. It was really fun to see the joy in those who voted for Barack, especially the first time voters. I made sure to congratulate the first timers and remind them that their vote is important every year.

Although I supported Hillary in the primaries, I didn't feel that I was disenfranchised. Some of the Obama supporters were not what I would like ( sister-in-law) but that did not involve Obama. I rarely get my first choice for any office but that shouldn't deter me from voting. Kerry wasn't my first choice last time either. But Bush was not even an option for me as the last eight years showed. I couldn't even think of another four years of what we had.

Is it too early to tease Obama? We are staying at a Hyatt and they have little door hangers which say "Together we can make a difference". I always wondered where politicians got some of there mottos. The guy I worked for had "people above politics " as his motto. Sounds like something you would see in a courthouse. I think it would be fun to see where various themes came from. :wordpooper:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JV_IphAIGPg

For anyone who missed this prank, played on Sarah Palin by a couple of comedians at a radio station in Montreal. The prankster pretends to be Nicolas Sarkozy, the French President, and Palin fell for it hook, line and sinker, truly believing the French President had called her to offer his support. I loved the prank, particularly since I just do not like the woman and what she stands for.

Ironically, I actually like John McCain very much, I like his personality and I loved how gracious he was when he conceded defeat. I also feel a certain level of compassion for GW because I have always sensed that he never wanted to be President and knew he wasn't qualified for it, but that he was pressured into it. It's a classic example of how nepotism can result in disaster. He is considered by many as the worst-ever President of the USA. What I would love to know is HOW come he was re-elected in 2004? How did this happen?

I am hoping that Hillary will be working closely with Obama, she has so much experience and credibility to offer. I still have a lot of respect for her despite the disappointment I felt when I discovered she had endorsed the attack on Iraq. It was a huge blow to me. The next four years are going to be very interesting and hopefully Obama can make a big enough difference to bring about a shift in attitudes from some of the more die-hard conservatives who tend to see things in black and white. I have had a number of people tell me that they don't have a problem with a black man as President, they just didn't want THAT one. Yet I can't think of anyone more qualified than Obama, since he is identified as black yet he was raised in a white environment. He has been exposed to several religious traditions so he is able to see the view from so many angles.

See, I have no sympathy whatsoever with GW...and don't fool yourself, he wanted the Presidency and wanted it bad, if nothing else to prove to everyone he's not a loser. Feh. He wasn't superbad as governor of Texas only because Texas has one of the weakest governors in the U.S.; shoot, if you really want to run Texas, you need to be lieutenant governor...which explains a lot about Cheney.

claytonic... you may get more than you bargained for... :cryingwlaughter:

Bush 2nd term politics in a nutshell... The Republicans were looking desparately for a way into power, so they courted the religious right and told them that if they supported the Republicans, they could actually get their own into powerful positions and get their beliefs shoved down everyone's throats. So the Republicans joined with the religious right and created a strong base that used the disapproval/fear around abortion and gay rights to get lots of churches around the country, especially the South, to encourage their parishoners to vote Republican to maintain those morals. It worked!

The reason it didn't work this time is that even religious people could see the mess the Republicans got us into and didn't follow the leader this time.

If all the Republicans are as stupid and the two in my office, Obama is going to have an uphill battle even with a Democratic congress. They were talking this morning about how stupid everyone was for voting for Obama and actually believing that he would keep any of his campaign promises. Idiots! We're going to need everyone to pitch in to heal the problems, not half of the country just standing around waiting for Obama to fail. GEESH!!! If my hair wasn't already thin, I'd be pulling it out!

liney23

Thanks for answering my question. See... I didn't know that because I didn't pay much attention at that time because I had made up my mind that the whole thing was fixed to ensure he retained the presidency.

Hopefully, more and more THINKING people (as opposed to brainwashed people) will pay attention and continue to vote for an important election or referendum rather than being complacent. I can remember a time when I, too, didn't know or care about politics but when I realized how I could make a difference, I started to become better informed. Voting is compulsory in my country so I didn't want to waste my vote. Making an informed vote is so important... I always think about how Hitler came into power and I never want to be part of an ignorant majority that simply allows a corrupt power to control their life.

Talking about ignorance. My friend who works in a chemical plant told me that the day after the election, he heard the stupidest conversations he had ever heard in his life from the guys at work. These guys, who are all blue collar, vote Republican. They were all upset that Obama had won because he was going to take their guns from them. Some were worried that Obama was only going to allow them one round of ammunition. They were all going out to stock up on guns and ammunition. I thought this was hilarious until that evening, on the local evening news, they announced that there was a run on guns and ammunition in Houston and that supplies were starting to run low.

The next day, a call was placed to Obama where he issued a statement that this crap was not true. He stated that he had been endorsed by various hunting groups and that what he had talked about doing was enforcing gun registration and finding ways to keep guns out of the hands of terrorists. IMO, this was unbelievable, with the state of the economy, the stock market dropping every day, these same guys being laid off their jobs, one after the other, and this is what they are panicking about? Only in Texas! (I hope)

Obama Win Causes Obsessed Backers To See How Empty Lives Are

:cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

Is anyone from this board missing in action?

Obama's sister, talking about their mother

This won't have you laughing, but it will have you smiling. Barack Obama is truly a special person, and the only sad thing is that his mother isn't here to see that it wasn't what she couldn't give him but what she did give him that has made such a difference to his life, and now to ours.

Thanks for the links, claytonic & couchie! Hubby and I laughed about the 'obsessed supporters' video, and enjoyed hearing more about Obama's mother.

We get Newsweek at home, and the entire story is in the most recent issue. Whew, it's long! But it's excellent and fascinating reading.

I also have very much enjoyed watching a couple of Obama youtubes I hadn't watched before. Obama came onto the national scene in 2004 at the DNC when he made the keynote address, which is

. I can see why that speech got Democrats to stand up and take notice of him!

A much more serious, but amazingly intelligent and compassionate speech, is here. This is the only speech in which Obama addressed race during his presidential campaign, and it is quite insightful and inspiring!

So I listen to sports when I'm in my car normally. So much so that I don't even know where the news stations are. But today I wanted to hear some news so I started going down the dial and I got Michael Savage. I think that his name. OMG...no wonder Obama won in a "landslide." They are trying to cater to the "idiot" demographic. I can totally understand people having totally different ideals, beliefs, etc. I'm fine with that. And yes I have called Bush a name or two in my day and don't agree with his politics or policies for the most part. But to suggest that Obama had his grandmother killed so she doesn't tell anyone he isn't even an American was just COMICAL. Well he was comical...the callers were scary. I didn't even get mad because I have faith in the American people that they can discern between disagreement and nonsense. Is there such a thing as liberal talk radio cuz I hope to hell they aren't this bad.

I went back to listen to the New Hampshire speech...that one was good as well...

MTO WORLD EXCLUSIVE: OBAMA OFFERS JENNIFER HUDSON THE CHANCE TO SING AT INAUGURATION .... IF SHE'S UP TO IT!!!

Hope this is true especially since Beyonce was (apparently) dropping hints that she would make herself available to sing at the inauguration!!! I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Obama... I;ve never really been a fan of any President of the USA except for Jimmy Carter, but that was AFTER he was no longer president and I got to learn a few things about him that blew me away. Well, actually, I did like Bill Clinton a lot too.

ETA:

Jennifer Hudson Has Not Been Invited To Perform At Inauguration, Obama Camp Says

'An inauguration committee hasn't even been formed yet,' president-elect's transition official says.

OK, I guess that makes sense, it is a little early. Anyway, I hope it BECOMES true and if not then ANYONE other than Beyonce because I wasn't a fan of hers anyway. When she was interviewed by an Australian journalist for 60 Minutes here, she considered herself a "legend in the making". It was precisely then that I decided I didn't like her, and now, I like her even less.

Apparently there was an issue that came out for each, immediately after the election. They sold out. Supposedly they restocked. I never saw either one in a store (finally saw Time at the dentist's office yesterday), but I didn't spend days looking. I did look though. On Friday and Sunday. Don't know what was in the issues are normally supposed to come out today (at least around here), but they may be sold out again. ???

ok when the going get tough..you call on your connections. LOL. My brother in law is grabbing Newsweek and Time for me. I think they are just hitting the stands tomorrow. He's a manager at Walgreens. heee.

Eeeeeeeeee, I found one copy of Newsweek in the grocery store where I went to get a flu shot tonight. YAY!

I managed to get Newsweek in the airport today. Also picked up last week's AND this week's People, both with Obama on the cover (the second has the entire family). We subscribe to Time, so finding it wasn't an issue.

The Newsweek issue is excellent. It's a very detailed account of practically the entire campaign (from McCain's camp, as well as Clinton's camp). I devoured it on the plane today.

That's ridiculous, Fear!

But not all organized religion is like that. I know many Democrats in my church! And there was next to no mention of the presidential race by the pastor, for which I was very happy. It was better for the pastor not to take sides, at least in public, since it can be such a divisive issue.