UNICEF "Inspirational Book"

ldyjocelyn

I'll be out Saturday too, but we can keep posting ideas and samples and things!

Lots of neat ideas tonight....

What do you think, Claymatron & Kareneh? I hear you have pretty deep PB accounts too.

I think I'm gonna go with the children's drawings idea for my web page......

Glad you're doing it!!! I think it's a great idea -- just wanted to give everyone in FCA a chance to contribute something whether they had or didn't have kids.

Please post a link for us, k?

I am really exhausted. I'm going to head for home, but I'll see if I can come up with an idea for a "page" or whatever. I found some cute sleeping kid pics to start with, so will post any works in progress here.

Night all!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Goodnight and thanks!!!

Does UNICEF have an "unwrapped" type of program, like Oxfam does?

I haven't donated to UNICEF although in the past, I supported them through buying and sending their greeting cards.

However, these days, my favorite charity is OXFAM, and I wonder if UNICEF has a similar program like theirs, http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/

Oxfam Unwrapped is a brilliant concept. I personally do not like receiving gifts because most of the time, I receive something that I don't want or don't need. I can buy whatever I need for myself. I now make it known that the best gift anyone can give me is from the list of gift suggestions from the Oxfam site. The gift is then emailed to your recipient, or Oxfam will send you a card for you to write in and snail mail to your recipient. In an effort to reduce paper, I have only ever used the email option.

I have looked but cannot find a similar program for UNICEF. Is there one? If so, it would be a brilliant way to acknowledge a loved-one's birthday or special occasion as not only does the money go to a wonderful cause, but you are promoting that very cause at the same time with a meaningful gift that suits whatever budget you are on. (I know someone who gets kick out of giving people a pig for their birthday...!!!)

I hope no one minds that I have mentioned Oxfam in a UNICEF thread, but the intention was to raise awareness to these kinds of gifts. I searched for a UNICEF equivalent but could not find it.

Does UNICEF have an "unwrapped" type of program, like Oxfam does?

I haven't donated to UNICEF although in the past, I supported them through buying and sending their greeting cards.

<snip>

I have looked but cannot find a similar program for UNICEF. Is there one?

claytonic, It's great that you brought this up! The equivalent UNICEF program is Inspired Gifts. I'm feeling bad, though, because I'm currently using a $35 blanket with a certain guy's embroidered name and I just saw on the "Emergency - Inspired Gifts" page that $37 will buy 10 wool blankets for kids.

Great ideas everyone!

From Claygary I love the title "Our Six Cents"

Have absolutely no computer skills but I would love to contribute something.

I would rather we did not make this Clay-centric myself...I think the focus should be more on Somalia...would it be possible to use "Grace of God" as sort of a theme song or would their be copyright/royalty issues involved?

Kim

Great ideas everyone!

From Claygary I love the title "Our Six Cents"

Have absolutely no computer skills but I would love to contribute something.

I would rather we did not make this Clay-centric myself...I think the focus should be more on Somalia...would it be possible to use "Grace of God" as sort of a theme song or would their be copyright/royalty issues involved?

Kim

Yes, lots of great ideas from everyone!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Any more pictures and montages? And nice quotes and short articles?

FromClaygary, I scrolled too fast last night and didn't get to read "Our Six Cents" -- I Love it!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Suggestion, either for a front page or a slide show with photos with the words

Outrage (or you could either do some wordles as what there is to be outraged about)

( I won't post the photos, but I found some photos of malnourished Somali children, some displaced children around 3-4 years old carrying large plastic containers searching for water.. with links on the photos to either donate or learn more)

Action (again wordle with what donations are going for, what buys what)

Photo of a couple of boys drinking water, children waiting for food, immunizations..again with links to learn more or donate

Hope

Found some great photos of some beautiful Somali children, going to school, looking happy

The best campaigns I've seen individualize the children, their names, their story, and once they have someone engaged the story moves on and show how large the problem is. IMO, people do not connect to a lot of fact and figures and are overwhelmed if the problem is so enormous that they feel their contribution won't make a difference. It doesn't seem possible to know their names or stories but there are some great photos of Somali children looking directly in the camera. I remember how many people were moved by the photo of the green eyed Afghan girl many years ago that I think was on Time magazine and it caught a lot of people's attention and moved a lot of people to help.

Just some suggestions

sheiladownunder those are great ideas. We're sort of on the same wave length, I think.

OK...here's an idea for a "page" or "slide" for our online book or presentation or whatever. It does have a Clay pic in it, because it's one of the best out there of sleeping refugee children. I don't mention him by name, but I don't think it hurts to show him in his ambassador role where others can discover him. Besides, this IS a Clay fan board, after all.

If the picture is reduced, be sure to click on it to see the full size.

330379814_98Ak7-L.jpg

I would need help to do the links to the buttons...I have no clue how to do that.

This is not Somalia specific, but the UNICEF link could be to the Somalia donation page.

Coin Star only has a link to US Fund for UNICEF, which is the right place, it isn't more specific than that. But I wanted to show how easy it could be. You put a baggie in your purse and throw all your spare change in it for a week, then you dump it in the Coin Star machine when you go to the market. Easy is good.

I have ideas for pages on immunizations, water and education still to come. What do you all think?

Dang!!! Where is everybody? Am I THAT far off the mark?

Well, with absolutely no encouragement whatsoever, I made another "page" on my theme. This one's on immunizations.

330514042_nFoJn-L.jpg

Working in the medical field, this one is dear to my heart.

I guess I'll go do something else until I get some feedback.

Whew!! Thank you ldyjocelyn & claytonic. I was afraid people were afraid to tell me they were no good.

I have ideas for a page on water and one on education, but there are lots of other possibilities...food, shelter, malaria prevention, maternal health...lots of stuff.

I wanted to use the "If I had the money" theme since many people seem to feel that they do not have enough resources to make a significant contribution. I wanted to get the idea across that it only takes a very little amount of money to do a great deal of good. I also wanted to give a bit of a contrast between things we tend to take for granted in the Western world that are survival issues in far off lands.

If anyone has ideas but no way to format them, or want a page with a similar look, just let me know. I'll be happy to work with you. All factoids, pictures, ideas, etc. are welcome.

Oooooo! I see lots of neat things, just quickly glancing through this thread! :clap:

I'll be back to look more closely & see if I can contribute anything creative. I've spent the whole day being creative & am burnt out for the evening.

I have ideas for a page on water and one on education, but there are lots of other possibilities...food, shelter, malaria prevention, maternal health...lots of stuff.

I wanted to use the "If I had the money" theme since many people seem to feel that they do not have enough resources to make a significant contribution. I wanted to get the idea across that it only takes a very little amount of money to do a great deal of good. I also wanted to give a bit of a contrast between things we tend to take for granted in the Western world that are survival issues in far off lands.

If anyone has ideas but no way to format them, or want a page with a similar look, just let me know. I'll be happy to work with you. All factoids, pictures, ideas, etc. are welcome.

I agree with the first two you listed BECAUSE:

1) CLEAN WATER: people can survive without food or even proper shelter for a little bit, but clean drinking water is absolutely essential.

2) EDUCATION: It's the foundation for everything. An educated person has a greater chance of becoming resourceful in a meaningful way, and may ultimately make a difference in their own environment as a teacher, doctor, nurse, business consultant, etc etc. (The project should always be about giving a hand-up rather than a hand-out, because the latter simply perpetuates the existing issues rather than give them the tools to create their own power)