Back for More - School, that is!

annabear

Since I just signed myself up to start back to school for the first time in *cough*several*cough* years and there are others here who are currently back in school, or are thinking about going back, I figured a thread to scream, whine, rant, babble, bounce ideas, post links, etc. might be a good idea. Whether going for a degree or just taking a class to learn something new...

5.gif"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty." ~ Henry Ford

well I asked LdyJ to talk me out of it but she hasn't yet. So I'm also thinking of going back to get my Masters..but not until at least next winter or spring. I may look into U of Phoenix or just apply to a grad program at my local Cal State. I think I need to find a new job first :hysterical:

Well I only need my master's thesis to get my degree...that is part of my 5 year plan. I would like to get my Phd sometime too. I figure the girls will soon be on their own in University. Time for the next chapter of my life. Right now I need to get ready for that.

Yeah, I think the new job situation trumps going back to school for the time being, Couchie. But it's still good to be thinking and planning for it.

Good for you for having a 5 year plan, Ansa! I've still got to finish my bachelor's and when I started with my current company 6 years ago, returning to school was in my 5 year plan. I'm a little late, but better late than never I guess. I've now added continuing on for my master's to my "new & improved" 5 year plan.

I'm amazed at how much quicker & easier the whole applications process is, both for school and financial aid, this time around. I've already heard from the bank that they've passed along the info to the school. Even the federal site says everything should be processed in 3-4 days. Then there's my office, which says I have to allow a minimum of 3 weeks before I'll even know if they might approve any reimbursement or not...

I was wondering about this too. How big a deal is it to have, say an MBA? Is it worth the hassle and the fun stuff you'd miss, especially if someone tours next spring or fall? Do companies really value this over experience?

Is it important to change jobs for something with more flexible hours?

Yay for the 5-year plan, Ansa!

Is this appropriate for this thread?

:Iluvclaysbutt:

I was wondering about this too. How big a deal is it to have, say an MBA? Is it worth the hassle and the fun stuff you'd miss, especially if someone tours next spring or fall? Do companies really value this over experience?

Is it important to change jobs for something with more flexible hours?

Good questions, Ms. Scarlett! I think in part it depends on the field you're in. In my case, I'm not there yet, but I'm wanting to change fields. I sort of ended up on one path and just kept going with the flow even though it wasn't the path I wanted to be on. Now I'm trying to merge back onto my chosen path, but I've got too much experience to go in at entry level and not enough to go in at mid-level. I think I'm going to have to continue on for my master's to get to where I want to be, especially since my "ideal" job is just a concept in my mind right now and I'm not sure how it's going to materialize down the road...

Here's a link to MBA.com - Women and the MBA: A Perfect Match

Is this appropriate for this thread?

:Iluvclaysbutt:

Since we are on a Clay Aiken fan board, yes, that emoti is appropraite for [almost] every thread. 7.gif

I went back to school when I was 37, after dropping out of university in first semester when I was 19. In between that time, I did some office work, raised 3 kids, and drove a school bus for 12 years. So I know how difficult it can be! Kudos to everyone thinking of doing it! I only went through community college, but I got my 3 year diploma in computer programming, and at least I have a job in my field now, even though it's not the job I ultimately want.

My daughter has been out of school for a few years now (took one year of univeristy and then quit), and she has enrolled in community college this September, to take ASL (American Sign Language). She is pretty excited. It took her a few years to figure out what she wanted to do with her life. She will be moving to Toronto and living with her grandmother during the school term.

Well, I've been taking pre-class workshops the past 3 weeks in order to get a feel for what my online classes will be like and today is my official first day of school in *mumbledy*mumble* years! 1.gif I think I'm going to like it. It's seriously close to being on Clay message boards, except the focus, of course, isn't Clay. Damn. *g*

Anyway, our first discussion assignment involved reading this article in BusinessWeek on blogging. It's certainly not a stretch to relate some of it back to this fandom.

So far, so good! First full week of actual classes and I've got 100% in both.:whoo: Of course, I don't expect it to stay that way, but it's a nice way to start back.

I had to email my academic counselor with what I would want her to say to me if/when things get rough and I’m on the fence about continuing. I’m going to post it here and probably also email it to some friends & family so that everyone can throw it back at me should I need that little slap upside the head… :gen069:

1.) I'm not getting any younger.

2.) My career path isn't going to change unless I change it.

3.) I've waited over 10 years to go back to college; there is never going to be a totally perfect time.

4.) This is one life changing experience I have control over.

5.) I need to keep looking forward to how I'll feel when I've accomplished this step.

6.) I want to live my life according to one my favorite quotes:

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'" ~ Erma Bombeck

YAY!!! Good for you, couchie! You can do it. :14: It's like I said in my list above, we're not getting any younger (damn) and it's never going to be the exact 'right time'.

I managed to get through my 1st quarter without losing my mind (completely) and finished with 99% in one class and 100% in the other.