#48: He is...therefore I fan.

Couch Tomato

New Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• I don't ever have a day so gloomy that Clay's smile doesn't make me happy
    • At the end of the day, who cares? Clay is hot. He?d be hotter naked. ?nuff said
    • Ladies and gentleman, the 49th president of the United States and American Idol runner-up, Clay Aiken!
    • FrstlgrglooMmflsgoolce! :heart: scruffy Clay!
    • The Clay Aiken fandom....it's just fun!
    • I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

I am enjoying reading your stories of conversion to Claydom but I'd like to interject a small request here.

I have been doing some sorting of Clay photos and there is one from the BAF Gala 2008 that I would love to have.

Do any of you have a photo of Clay when he turned around in his leather jacket after successfully zipping it up, flung wide his arms and shouted "Yes!!" to the delighted screams of the audience?

I don't know who took these as they are un-tagged, but hopefully they don't mind them being posted.

ETA: okay, those are prior to him doing it up - I'm trying to recall if he actually did that after - I remember the yesssss very well though!

And this look...

post-496-1234390874_thumb.jpg

post-496-1234390931_thumb.jpg

post-496-1234391409_thumb.jpg

post-496-1234391437_thumb.jpg

post-496-1234391473_thumb.jpg

I am another one who had no computer experiences. My children would go on our computer at home and mess things up and my husband would spend hours fixing. I vowed to never go ont it. When Clay was on AI I was teaching an Outdoor Emergency Care class every Tues. I would tape Idol and by the time I got home and watched it, voting was finished. The last two weeks I actually got home with one hour to spare so I started voting right away. I never did get through either week. When Clay lost I just gave up and because I was not on the computer I did not realize what was going on. I did notice when the single came out that our paper list the top selling singles and albums every week. I did notice that it was #1 in sells for several weeks. At the time the CD came out I was dealing with my mothers stroke and did not even think about it. Once she was home I went to her house one day and she had taped several of his performances. I watched but that was it. I had not bought a CD in years. My husband had always bought many CD's and I just listened what was in the car. I got wrapped up in many things and one day after the IT I was watching Clay at my mom's and asked her if I could take her CD and listened to it. That was it, I was hooked. I went out and bought it, started watching everything he was on. I still was not on the computer so I decided I would go to the library and see what I could find. Well that started it all. When the NAT came I did not know anybody to go with me, I asked my mom but she was not sure she could handle it. I regret to this day not going. Clio is 20 minutes from my house. I read the recaps and felt terrible when I did not go. I decided from then on if I could not find someone to go with me I would go by myself. I did not get to JNT2005 because it was not near me, but have at least gone to all others. I also got to go to Spam and I will always remember that. I love me some Clay Aiken and I will not miss another concert as long as it is feasible to go. For all the kidding my hubby gives me he has been great. He actuall when online from work to get my JBT2004 tickets, and went to the library when Clio 2005 went on sale, so he could have high speed when the tickets when on sale.

Since then we now have high speed and he went and ordered me my laptop two years ago so I could have by own computer and would not have to use his desktop that he used alot for work use.

My hubby is one of those who lost their job in December. He was forced to take eary retirement after 38 years and this week it was announce that we lost all of our benefits. I am trying to pick up more time at work so I can afford the added $1200 per month added cost to cover healthcare,dental, and eye.

I have been a fan since 2003 and Idol 2, and I never knew that this online fandom even existed. I did own a computer, but was not familiar with message boards or the like. I did not find out about the online fandom until 2006 when I accidentally stumbled on the "Ideal Idol" site. I really regret that I did not know about it till then. I did go to see Clay every time that he came to Houston, which was two times, before he came for the SRHP tour. I did not know anything about the Christmas Concerts, never knew that they were happening. I followed Clay on TV every chance I got, and that was about it.

Gbmifan.

Sorry that your hubby lost his job and that you lost all of your benefits. It should not be legal for anyone who has worked for 38 years to loose his and his family's benefits. I just do not understand this!

I didn’t watch the first season of American Idol. I only started watching AI2 because one of the guys in my son’s class made it to the Hollywood round. I thought I might see him on TV. I think I caught a glimpse of the classmate one time….he was eliminated in Hollywood, but I got hooked on Clay. I watched AI every week and voted for Clay. The night Clay and Ruben sang their final songs my satellite dish went out. I could hear Clay, but the TV picture was very snowy. The next night I drove to my mom’s house to spend the night and watch the final show. I was devastated when Clay lost. I was sure I’d never see him again.

I discovered the Internet that summer. The only board I could figure out how to read was The Lecherous Broads. I didn’t post very often, but I read there every day.

The AI tour came through Indianapolis, so I bought some red shoes to show my support for Clay, and went to the concert with my Ruben loving friend. We sat next to a couple from Louisville. I remember thinking it was strange that they drove 2 1/2 hours to see a concert. HAHAHA!!! Well, one AI concert wasn’t enough for me. I drove to St Louis by myself to see him again. I was hooked after that. I’ve never missed a tour, but I’m blessed to live in the Midwest.

I’ve met so many wonderful friends through my Clay travels, and I can’t wait until he announces something and we can hit the road again.

My hubby is one of those who lost their job in December. He was forced to take eary retirement after 38 years and this week it was announce that we lost all of our benefits. I am trying to pick up more time at work so I can afford the added $1200 per month added cost to cover healthcare,dental, and eye.

Sorry that your hubby lost his job and that you lost all of your benefits. It should not be legal for anyone who has worked for 38 years to loose his and his family's benefits. I just do not understand this!

I don't understand it either. What more can a person do than work in good faith for 38 years? And then the company just like that can take it all away. ARGH!!

I am enjoying reading your stories of conversion to Claydom but I'd like to interject a small request here.

I have been doing some sorting of Clay photos and there is one from the BAF Gala 2008 that I would love to have.

Do any of you have a photo of Clay when he turned around in his leather jacket after successfully zipping it up, flung wide his arms and shouted "Yes!!" to the delighted screams of the audience?

I don't know who took these as they are un-tagged, but hopefully they don't mind them being posted.

ETA: okay, those are prior to him doing it up - I'm trying to recall if he actually did that after - I remember the yesssss very well though!

And this look...

Thank you cindilu2 Not quite what I was looking for though.

I was hoping for one taken after he had zipped up the jacket when he turned around...jacket fully zipped..arms flung wide..exclaiming YES!!

Could one of you video goddesses make a screen cap of the moment which I found in jojoct's video of ringtones and bust and jacket auctions around 13:39? :please::giveflowers:

I don't understand it either. What more can a person do than work in good faith for 38 years? And then the company just like that can take it all away. ARGH!!

Unfortunately the way things work in our North American economies now is that the people who do the actual work are the last ones considered.

A corporation is required by law to put the interests of their shareholders above all others.

To make up finacially I am going to try to pick up extra days. I have also worked at my place of employment for 37 years. I do not want to go full time because even though it would only be one day a week more, it would mean going back to every third weekend, every other holiday, and because I have been occassional for 30 years and not full time not much vacation. With the way my schedule is now, I give them the days I want to work, and I am placed on the schedule. My contract calls for one weekend day every three months, and one holiday a year. When we want to go on vacation I just do not place myself on the schedule. I have not taken benefits for all those years because we had my husbands. I talked to my manager and she is going to try to add a few days, those would be what we call "E" days. If we are busy they will call me to work, otherwise I will be on call. My husband is looking for another job, most are out of state. It sucks to have a Masters degree and not be wanted because the state you live in has one of the highest unemployment rates!

:hugs-1: to gbmifan. I hope things get better for you.

ETA: This isn't random at all, but I totally didn't know that TITM was a Broadway song. I just heard it on the Broadway radio channel.

ANTM has been delayed a week!

ANTM Delayed

ee I learned how to make pretty links.

OK so today was a bad/good day. First my car wouldn't start....$600 later it now starts! But I got my call tones to work and Scarlett has already called me just to listen to the ring. No she didn't want anything just like the time she was standing behind me in Target and called my cell phone just to hear Clay singing Right Here Waiting For You!

{{{gbmifan & dh}}} :thbighug-1:

:hugs-1: to gbmifan. I hope things get better for you.

ETA: This isn't random at all, but I totally didn't know that TITM was a Broadway song. I just heard it on the Broadway radio channel.

It was from Jekyll & Hyde. Remember when Clay went to see 'A Tale of Two Cities'? There was a picture of him with the J&H composer, Frank Wildhorn. He also composed 'Sarah' which Clay sany at DC last year. Wonder if that means anything? Frank seems to have 4 projects in the works: The Count of Monte Cristo, Wonderland (ie. Alice), Bonnie and Clyde and Havana. Would one of these be a good fit for Clay? *thinking Warren Beatty while humming er, attempting unsuccessfully to hum 'If I Could Fly' from Dracula*

ANTM has been delayed a week!

ANTM Delayed

ee I learned how to make pretty links.

OK so today was a bad/good day. First my car wouldn't start....$600 later it now starts! But I got my call tones to work and Scarlett has already called me just to listen to the ring. No she didn't want anything just like the time she was standing behind me in Target and called my cell phone just to hear Clay singing Right Here Waiting For You!

*gasps* merrieeee! How, how could you post that?!! I have a good mind to call you right now and.. *g*

So, will the other shows be delayed or will a 2-part pilot become a 1-part (but longer) one? I kinda liked April 8.

Couchie and ldyjocelyn were on the front row in Boston?!! Eeeeek, something's missing.... and I have to go find it and put it on right now...

So many stories to catch up on. Thank you so much, everyone!!! :BlowKiss:

ETA: I also have a rather stupid question. Are you supposed to refrigerate unused shortening?

Speculation is that the two part pilot will actually be two shows and Clay's show will air as schedule...anyway, I am not changing the countdown unless we get an official change in air date.

Kim

Sorry for being absent from the board so much.......work's a bitch and I've just been exhausted and laying around when I get home. We've been told we have to get more work done, aren't allowed overtime, and also aren't allowed to bank our extra hours...basically, we should work extra hours to get things done and not expect any payment. As bad as the economy is, and as thankful as I am to have a job, I'm just not going to be goaded into working for free. So I do as much as I can during the day, but when my 7.5 hours are allotted, I'm outta there.

{{{gbmifan & hubby}}} I hope things start looking up for you soon.

I know I've posted this more than a few times before, but I discovered Clay about halfway through the AI season. At first I only watched his and Ruben's parts (at my daughter's insistence) but gradually became enamored and sat for the whole show. On the final night we drove to Buffalo, NY to watch with a friend and vote. I know I had discovered TTC prior to that night because I had read the spoilers about what he was going to sing. I was experienced in message boards already from my figure skating fandom. I went from there to the CB briefly and then the CH and finally here.

I attended the AI tour without my daughter, who was out of province on a summer school course, but after she returned we headed to Cleveland for the Jingle Ball Christmas concert and then to the Detroit IT. On a whim we hopped a plane to NC for the Winston-Salem IT, and so it began. We've been to at least one show on every tour (sometimes as many as 7!). I've made so many friends, some within a short drive and others across the countryies. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

It's been nice reading everyones experiences. Clay is pretty special huh, for all of us to follow him like we have.

I was like several others on here. I'd never been to a messageboard, didn't even know what one was, and only used computers at work. Was hooked from the very beginning, but after he lost, the thought that I might not hear any more about him sent me to the computer to see what I could find. I have no idea where I started. Remember seeing some board, like Clay's Mansion or something but didn't know what it was. Found the board that his one friend started and read stuff about him. Eventually found CB but didn't know about the forum for several months, and then starting reading there and at TTC. I did go to at least one of all his tours but never really met anyone until after ATDW and I went to the Baltimore Claymate's party. It's been a long process for me but in the past couple of years, I've started posting and then started feeling jealous of all you guys meeting up with each other and making friends. Finally, during Spam, I met up with a lot of you guys and had my first experience of sleeping with someone I'd never met before (Couchie). That night was such a special experience for me and I hope we'll soon have lots more opportunities to meet up and sleep together and all that good stuff.

This fandom is as special as Clay is and I'm so glad to be a part of it.

gbmifan, sorry to hear about your situation. Really hope we start to see signs that the economy is on its way to a recovery.

I'm running ldyj's front row clack from Boston. It's in HD but we didn't have the magic mike back then, although we do have clack with great audio from the the same venue taken by LonelyNoMore44 on the small magic camera. I could splice it but that would take forever -- so I'm doing ldj's clack as is. Hope that's ok!

Never watched the 1st season of Idol & didn't watch 2nd season til Wildcard night. Hubby hollered to come see this skinny kid from Raleigh ( my birth town) sing. I was a goner. I cried when he lost. Hubby was a computer geek & found a site I think called Neurox?? He downloaded all the shows ( Clay's part) for me & found the Clayboard. I've been a messageboard mostly lurking fool ever since!

Went to the IT in Winston-Salem, NAT in Charlotte. Have been to at least one of each tour ( except JNT 07 ) & for many of the tours we tour hopped to as many as we could!! Good times!! I've loved every minute of my Clay time & the special people I've met as a result. My job running my husband's company is stressful so Clay is my "peaceful" ( well, except when the angst is out the roof).

I'm patiently waiting for him to be done "recollecting" & be my HAWT SINGER MAN once again!!

:yahoo:

Oh my gosh Scarlett -- I had almost forgotten about being a camera-person at that show. I'm almost scared about that clack, I wasn't familiar with your camera at all, especially the zoom. I'm really afraid people might get seasick while watching that clack!

{{{{{{merryclay and gbmifan and gfmifanhubby}}}}}

What is pissing me off right now is that I ended up having a terrible day at work, feeling really depressed about even going back there tomorrow. It's especially bad when it's a budget thing that's causing so much work angst for me. And then I get here -- and I'm reading stories like gbmifan, and I really have to step back. It makes me really upset that I DO have a job, with benefits, and yet I HATE it. There's got to be a lesson in there somewhere, right?

It's been fun reading everyone's stories about meeting up with new friends, sleeping with strangers, and such.

Hellooooooooo.....

I have been trying to lurk as much as possible as a person without a home computer could do.....finally had to give up and buy a new one.....some Vista errors are unrecoverable (grrrrrr....I HATES Vista).

BUT...Scarlett, you got me out of lurkdom with the fandom question.

My only experience with a message board was in being a moderator for an asthma disease management project I was working on. Not really the same thing at all. I was, however a big fan of Google.

My DD had been nagging me to watch AI2 since she had watched AI1 and loved it. I couldn't imagine liking anything on Fox, but one night I tuned in and caught Clay on the Wild Card show....and the rest was history. He just blew me away, but honestly, I never thought that America would pick him. I thought he looked too young, sounded like a hick when he talked, and just was Mr. Anti-Cool. So I was beyond thrilled when America proved me wrong.

I was totally hooked. My DD & her now DH were also big fans, so we got to talk about it every week. I think I hit Google probably around Movie Night, just to see if anyone was talking about that Clay Aiken guy! WOAH!!!

FORT (Fans of Reality TV) paid for prime position, I guess, so I clicked on that. LOTS of AI stuff, and a really long Clay thread already. It was a linear thread, and people posted whole paragraphs, so I learned my posting pattern there. My first post was a very erudite essay on how "Everlasting Love" was TOO a disco song and how many beats per minute were in Clay's version and how that met the technical definition. Hey, I AM a professional researcher after all!

There were 4 mods for the AI threads at FORT and 3 of them were Ruben fans. They started getting more and more rude towards the Clay fans, so it wasn't that much fun. Someone posted that they enjoyed the Clay thread at TWOP, so I wandered over there. There was actually a fair amount of bashing in his thread, so I didn't see the appeal, until someone pointed me towards the Idol Entertainment threads, and I was in Heaven!! SO, SO, SO much fun stuff by so many creative people. I laughed myself silly!! I followed the path from there to Todd's emergency "home" and then to the CH.

I thought it would be fun to see the AI tour when it came close by, so I bought tickets for my DH, DD, SIL and myself for the Anaheim show. They were in the lower bowl opposite the stage. I thought that would be good because we could see the whole stage!! HA!! What did I know then?? Of course then we got a whole country-full of reports of people seeing multiple shows and how great it was to be close up. I tried to figure out what else I could possibly see, since Anaheim was the last show.

One day I was at work and was wistfully fiddling around with Ticketmaster and tried the Salt Lake City show. Front row center came up!! I was so shocked, they timed out...I think one of the docs strolled in about then. When I tried again those were gone (went to 2 CHers) but I got 2nd row towards the end. So I took them. Then I convinced my DH that driving to Salt Lake City for the weekend was a perfectly reasonable thing to do!! After all it's only about 13 hours each way!!

We went to the concert, and got together with a ton of fans at the CPK before the show. The most amazing thing I remember was that when Clay worked the corners of the stage, we could hear him quite clearly separately from the microphone and he sounded SO gorgeous!! I'll never forget it.

So...a few days later, we needed to take our DS back to college in NoCal, and decided a side-trip to Sacramento was mandatory to see the show. As couchie said, that's when we met at the CH gathering. That's where I met ncgurrl as well, and we've been friends and travel companions ever since. I got to room with couchie in January for the final Spam weekend. I'm surprised we got any sleep we talked so much. We really are twins. I don't know why y'all can't see it!!

I have pictures from that gathering!! I'll see if I can get to them when I get home and put them in the Members Section. One of them is a hoot!!! Anyone remember Oddreigh? Wait until you see her er..."outfit" for that concert. OMG!!

AND!!! I'm the one who set up the lunch before the AMA's in 2003. We had close to 30 people and there was NO WHERE near the Shrine Auditorium for that many people to eat. Especially on a Sunday. I had spread sheets, sent out maps, directions, all kinds of stuff!! The funny part was that ncgurrl had bought tickets to see Neil Sedaka in Vegas that weekend. Remember when we thought Clay might show up? As it turned out, he was in L.A. filming the Nickolodeon Xmas show!! We drove home from Vegas that morning, and then quick changed, picked up abbyharp & Mrs Loki from their airport hotel and went to the restaurant. I remember the debacle with the witless waiter, but it DID turn out well. That was the last year non-celebs were allowed to go in the Red Carpet entrance, even if you had floor seats. Very lucky after all.

I have pictures of THAT gathering as well!! I have kAndre in her lovely gold and Scarlett in her gorgeous dress. Those of us poor peons in the balcony were not nearly as well dressed!! I'll have to see if I can find THOSE pics and put them up as well!!

What fun remembrances!!

BTW, I was at the Jan. 1st Munch at the Marriott after that show with many of you. My fingers were still frozen solid after holding my camera forever waiting for Clay to (NOT) come to the SD. EVERYONE else took pics of the group, so I figured I didn't need to do it as well. SO WHERE ARE THOSE PICTURES....HMMMMM????

I need to go home and wash & pack. On Friday I'm going to go see my DD in Fresno and am taking the bus/train!! Should be interesting to say the least!!

Oh my gosh Scarlett -- I had almost forgotten about being a camera-person at that show. I'm almost scared about that clack, I wasn't familiar with your camera at all, especially the zoom. I'm really afraid people might get seasick while watching that clack!

What is pissing me off right now is that I ended up having a terrible day at work, feeling really depressed about even going back there tomorrow. It's especially bad when it's a budget thing that's causing so much work angst for me. And then I get here -- and I'm reading stories like gbmifan, and I really have to step back. It makes me really upset that I DO have a job, with benefits, and yet I HATE it. There's got to be a lesson in there somewhere, right?

It's been fun reading everyone's stories about meeting up with new friends, sleeping with strangers, and such.

Sorry you are having such a tough time at work...our new fiscal year starts May 1 and we are all wondering what the new budget will look like...we know there are going to be cuts. There have been so many businesses that have closed in our town and foreclosures which means less property tax and less money for the library. I know your job is not easy and I honestly don't have any advice except take it a day at a time and to give you one of these :thbighug-1:

Kim

ldyj, I could send it to you first so that you can say yea or nay, but from what I've seen so far (just the 50's medley) it's been great!!! You didn't tell me you were right in front of the piano for "Great Balls of Fire". We all know what it's like to hold a camera for the first time -- and even if it's not the first time, eg. at GFI the other week I was shaking on TITM more than the other songs but I'm not kicking myself because it was literally a thudding moment for me and I was still reeling at the thought of all the things that came together (*send virtual hugs to those super-nice fans from Florida whom I met just that evening, who gave me 2 seats at their table up front and of course PerusingOne and merrieeee who planned the trip, got the great hotel and made sure we got there in one piece*) for me to be sitting right there a few feet away for a song I've been longing to hear. You and couchie much have felt much the same way with a front row seat (couchie's first) at a JBT show, the day after her NH moment!!! So, may I upload? huh? Huh? Pretty please? *tugs at ldyj's shirt*

Thanks everyone for your support. It means alot.

My DIL is 32 weeks along in her pregnancy and was told she could go anytime. I hoping she holds off for another 2 weeks. This is further than she got last year. She lost her other baby at 31 weeks. The DR. says the baby is over 5# and about 17 inches long. They have given her two shots to help the babies lungs, so if she goes early this will help. I could use a little less drama lately.

Ldyj, I think the layoffs and people's unhappiness at work go hand-in-hand in many cases. My librarian friend here has to do two jobs now. Someone has to do the work the people who were laid off used to do. The atmosphere at work for a lot of people now is tense and pressured. Why should that be when there are so many people looking for work, and there are people who have work that needs to be done?

Awww, I missed you Permaswooned! :thbighug-1:

Glad to see you posting again, and I remember those times... *smiles* During those early days it seemed like I was always sitting either right in front of or right next to you!

To everyone whose lives are being affected by the economy, {{{hugs and prayers}}} for you and your loved ones!!! :elephanthugs:

Um, I still would like to know how to store the rest of the shortening -- they're not in a can but they're shaped like little butter sticks. Should I still put the one I used 1 T out of back into the pantry? Anyone? Beuller?

Thanks a bunch, ldyj!!! *skips off to work*