2009 Champions of Change Gala - Oct. 17

annabear

BAF_Gala_2009.jpg

The Bubel/Aiken Foundation

Raleigh Marriott City Center

As of 3/31/09, rooms at the Raleigh Marriott City Center are available for $139/night + tax. Oddly enough, this is the better rate, without choosing the AAA or Sr. discount.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Re the hotel:

Actually, annabear, there is a Sr rate of $118.00 per night during the dates of the Gala. In absolute honesty, I hated the hotel last year! :lol: so I'm hoping they've cleaned up their act. But it is very convenient to be at the Gala hotel, no doubt about it. The rooms are very nice, but the staff were incredibly rude and every.single.person I know that stayed there was overcharged for their room in some way or form.

Anyhooo.....I'm so there! Room booked....now off to look at flights, which I think are quite good right now.

Re the hotel:

Actually, annabear, there is a Sr rate of $118.00 per night during the dates of the Gala

<snip>

every.single.person I know that stayed there was overcharged for their room in some way or form

I'm not finding this too surprising since when I look for a room for 10/16-10/18, the rate coming up for me with the sr. (my mom will be coming) discount is $237/night!! :huh:

I'm hoping to be there this year too! I guessed at the date of this year's gala and actually got vacation time approved a month ago - go me!

I've also got enough air miles to fly for free (even if I have to pay the taxes), but right now I'm worried about being on strike this summer. Even if we are, I'm hoping my emergency fund will have enough left to cover a trip to Raleigh. I'm so sorry I didn't go last year, so I don't want to miss this one.

So, I put my vacation request in. Shouldn't be a problem this far in advance. But I will wait to see about tickets, etc before I make arrangements for flights or hotels.

I booked a room at the marriott, I can cancel it if needed. Let me know if anyone would want to share expenses. I don't know of course if I'll be able to get a ticket. I'm off that weekend and will request friday and monday off, hope to see you there!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Re the hotel:

Actually, annabear, there is a Sr rate of $118.00 per night during the dates of the Gala. In absolute honesty, I hated the hotel last year! :lol: so I'm hoping they've cleaned up their act. But it is very convenient to be at the Gala hotel, no doubt about it. The rooms are very nice, but the staff were incredibly rude and every.single.person I know that stayed there was overcharged for their room in some way or form.

Anyhooo.....I'm so there! Room booked....now off to look at flights, which I think are quite good right now.

Is the SR rate for someone over 60? Maybe I could find a roomate that age!

preden, as it's just going to be my mother & me and we've got a room reserved with two double beds, we could maybe share. :) We've also planned for 10/16-10/19.

Although my mom is over 60, I still can't get a room to come up for $118 with the sr. discount... :huh: The lowest rate that comes up is still $139 with no discounts checked...

Yeah! My roomie and I are now booked!

Even if we do go on strike, we got such a great deal that I should still be able to swing this weekend. I'm even happier now that I've been hoarding my airmiles for years. :D

preden, as it's just going to be my mother & me and we've got a room reserved with two double beds, we could maybe share. :) We've also planned for 10/16-10/19.

Although my mom is over 60, I still can't get a room to come up for $118 with the sr. discount... :huh: The lowest rate that comes up is still $139 with no discounts checked...

I think that they only book for 2 but if it were possible to be 3 I wouldn't mind since I've met you and it would be fun. Let me know for sure if you wouldn't mind sharing with me. It would still be less even with no discount and convenient to be at hotel of gala. We don't even know yet if we can get tickets. Hope everything works out. I'm getting excited!!

I think that they only book for 2 but if it were possible to be 3 I wouldn't mind since I've met you and it would be fun. Let me know for sure if you wouldn't mind sharing with me. It would still be less even with no discount and convenient to be at hotel of gala. We don't even know yet if we can get tickets. Hope everything works out. I'm getting excited!!

We wouldn't mind sharing with you at all! :BlowKiss: Three people shouldn't be a problem. They might even offer a discounted/block rate through the foundation/gala at a later date, which we should be able to call & work out with the hotel if that's the case.

You're right - we don't know what the ticket situation will be yet!! But as they release more info, we can keep in touch and solidify plans. :04:

We wouldn't mind sharing with you at all! :BlowKiss: Three people shouldn't be a problem. They might even offer a discounted/block rate through the foundation/gala at a later date, which we should be able to call & work out with the hotel if that's the case.

You're right - we don't know what the ticket situation will be yet!! But as they release more info, we can keep in touch and solidify plans. :04:

So could you book as it can be cancelled if it doesn't work out. Good then I'll be planning on going with you. I just spoke with the schedule planner at my hospital and he said there shouldn't be a problem in getting that frid and mon off. Now we just got to hope for tickets to the gala. Can you get more than one at a time when they are available so we can sit together? Anyhow things are looking good so far!!

So could you book as it can be cancelled if it doesn't work out. Good then I'll be planning on going with you. I just spoke with the schedule planner at my hospital and he said there shouldn't be a problem in getting that frid and mon off. Now we just got to hope for tickets to the gala. Can you get more than one at a time when they are available so we can sit together? Anyhow things are looking good so far!!

Sorry you said you already booked, I also have booked but will wait and see about the tickets and if there was someone else who needed a roommate. But I'm thinking it would be nice to be with you and your mom. ttys about all this. keep in touch!

The lowest rate That I'm getting right now for my daughter and I is $159/night.

Never booked here before........is that pretty much an average rate (well obviously not from what I see in the posts above)....are they jacking it because of bookings...anyone know? It also says breakfast is included with the room....is the group brealfast at the hotel or outside ( on the 18th).....I think I'm developing a rash...eeeek!!!

Room booked and confirmed.............now to get there and get tickets for the gala...........the pressure...OMG.. :cryingwlaughter:

Southwest dropped its fares into Raleigh from Ontario, California this week. I cancelled and rebooked saving about $20. Hey, every penny counts. You might want to check if you can save a bit, too.

Closer to the event I may be looking to share a ride to the hotel from the airport. It looks like my friends from Southern California will not be arriving until four hours after I do. After an all day flight, I have no desire to hang around the airport for four more hours. I arrive at 4:45 pm on THURSDAY.

Southwest dropped its fares into Raleigh from Ontario, California this week. I cancelled and rebooked saving about $20. Hey, every penny counts. You might want to check if you can save a bit, too.

Closer to the event I may be looking to share a ride to the hotel from the airport. It looks like my friends from Southern California will not be arriving until four hours after I do. After an all day flight, I have no desire to hang around the airport for four more hours. I arrive at 4:45 pm on THURSDAY.

ncgurrl, I'm going to add a thread for rides, but saw your note here....I'm arriving at 4:52 PM on Thursday on JetBlue and renting a car. You're welcome to drive in with me, you'd have to come over to the rental car place on the shuttle with me and drive from there. I am not staying at the Marriott Thursday night, but I can take you there if you are.