#52: "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."

jmh123

Thread title poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I am so grateful for a board that is celebrating The Clay!
    • We have no idea in hell what Clay is up to. We hope he's happy.
    • God, I love that man. He rocks my socks.
    • He's made a changed woman out of me!
    • Clay Aiken - Better than burnt weinies!

Me too! Sort of....

FromClaygary... that's a very nice bio! What do the "—"s mean???

I wondered that as well...I literally copied and pasted it...but I think it's where the author has used "~" to indicate a pause, and it hasn't translated properly into the html when it was added to the site.

Beautiful day here.....but WINDY!! Whew! I'm off to work in about 3/4 hr; hope I don't get blown away on the highway!

treenuts... I loved that youtube and then went to the Raleigh one where the mic popped during and made the songs hilarious. The man was blushing! :cryingwlaughter:

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find that one.

Has anybody seen aikim? Usually the countdown has been posted by now...and I'm jonesing!

My husband and I have had a great trip here in St. Louis. We went to the Zoo on Friday -- it was a gorgeous day, not too hot, sun shining. And this zoo is fantastic...and huge. We followed that with soul food, as recommended by "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," a place called Sweetie Pies at the Mangrove. OMG. Four fried chicken wings (and huge wings at that), mac and cheese to die for, cabbage, cornbread, and sweet tea -- and for two of us, under $25. I'd go there again in a heartbeat.

Yesterday hubby and I went to the top of the Arch. You definitely can't be afraid of heights (or small enclosed spaces) to visit it, but the view is fantastic. Last night was capped off by seeing the live broadcast of Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion" (heard on NPR). As a small town Lutheran girl, his humor is so much me -- I can really identify with so much of it. Plus, the music was spectacular. We heard jazz, blues, rock, gospel, bluegrass, and swing all in a two hour time frame.

And today, then -- reality come crashing back as we head home. Sigh.

Thanks to all for posting the pictures. He certainly is one handsome man.

I literally just got out of bed and I'm running very late for services but would like to greet everyone good morning!

Yes, ldyj, I hope aikim and her family are ok. The weather's nice and clear in Chicago today. Last time we missed the countdown there was a huge snowstorm. Hope everyone's fine.

:nature-smiley-014: Good morning, FCA!

ETA: Sigh! Decided that driving recklessly downtown to services & getting my guardian angels and those of everyone else out on 59 all terrified is not the way to spend a Sunday morning. Will drive leisurely to the community lunch instead. Hope everyone's having a nice day! :BlowKiss:

treenuts... I loved that youtube and then went to the Raleigh one where the mic popped during and made the songs hilarious. The man was blushing! :cryingwlaughter:

00lsee, I think this may be the one. If not, I'll keep looking. It's a tough job but I'll manage somehow ;-) -

Clay Aiken-Best of the NaCT Banter - Part 12

* I love where Big J comes out and hugs him at the end *

It was actually in Greensboro that this happened. There was no show in Raleigh that year. Last Christmas show in Raleigh was the 2005 JNT. But the link posted to the compilation is what you really wanted, and that's been posted.

It was actually in Greensboro that this happened. There was no show in Raleigh that year. Last Christmas show in Raleigh was the 2005 JNT. But the link posted to the compilation is what you really wanted, and that's been posted.

Thanks, jmh and treenuts. :)

00lsee... As posted, it was Greensboro. Treenuts brought the condensed version from Chardonnay, but here it the link to the long version. There are the two labeled "mic popping" and the one labeled with "Alison" in the titles that I think are the best. Very funny... course the man was by turns hysterical and heartbreaking (Long Island) on the '06 tour and I loved every piece of clack we got on that tour. Clay at his snarky best!

JNat06 Greensboro_Spooky

The only thing I didn't like about that night was his haircut... :cryingwlaughter: His hair was so beautiful the night before in Charlotte, then he let Jamie near him with the scissors and boo hoo!

This is a fairly long, but VERY interesting article about the homophobic remarks of Lythgoe on So You Think You Can dance.

How Fox Packaged Homophobia as Entertainment

Very intersting read. Thanks for bringing that over, wandacleo.

This -

While both men are not gay, what they were doing was "gay." And that's what caught the producers attention and that is what they highlighted.

See, I may be dense but I don't fully understand how things can be "gay" when in fact they aren't both gay. I mean, outside of high school slang culture. It is a form of stereotyping that's gone on forever and is tiresome in so many ways. It's just art IMO.

...and this -

The choice of "It’s Man’s Man’s Man’s World” playing at the end of the segment was even more dismaying for gay viewers as it seemed the specific lyrics producers chose to play – that life without a woman is “nothing, nothing” – implies gay men aren’t whole or normal since they fall in love with other men.

...not just for gay viewers! That made me sad. I would hope it was initially meant as snark (yea, I could see the humor in a "Graham Norton" kind of way), but in the big picture considering their audience it's just a poor message to be sending in this day and age.

Hey, I got lost for awhile in Spooky's clack today.

What a great way to spend a Sunday morning! :hubbahubba::BlowKiss:

This is a fairly long, but VERY interesting article about the homophobic remarks of Lythgoe on So You Think You Can dance.

wanda... thanks for bringing this over. I'm still getting educated on gay rights. I watched that segment and didn't even notice what music was playing, before, during or after. I just saw two men dancing a sexy dance together and just thought it was a step forward for them to even show it. Hopefully, I'm not the only one who thought that way.

wanda... thanks for bringing this over. I'm still getting educated on gay rights. I watched that segment and didn't even notice what music was playing, before, during or after. I just saw two men dancing a sexy dance together and just thought it was a step forward for them to even show it. Hopefully, I'm not the only one who thought that way.

I thought it was so charming to see the two men dancing, but I was horrified at Lythgoe. Honestly, I didn't notice the music either--probably wasn't paying attention.

I thought it was so charming to see the two men dancing, but I was horrified at Lythgoe. Honestly, I didn't notice the music either--probably wasn't paying attention.

I posted about this in the SYTYCD thread the night it aired. Could not believe what they did - and I kept asking myself it was only my 'filter' that found it incredibly offensive. I kept waiting for the media to get hold of it and give Nigel what he deserved for it. And waiting. And waiting. And it didn't happen. Even after his twitter (about how it reminded him of Blades of Glory, and he wasn't into Brokeback Ballroom) he still didn't get called out - not nearly enough anyway. Then when they did, on the E! site - the only place I saw it - they creatively edited to the story to spin it as though it was only their poor dancing he didn't care for. The tittering when one put his hand on the other's neck, the intro (with the men's room door, and Raining Men music) and the aghast giggling throughout the dance, and the 'Man's World' outro - not a word. Every single comment I read on the story slammed GLAAD for 'over-reacting', not Nigel & Co., for putting them on for no other reason than to mock them (or perhaps send a message). It portrayed Nigel as the magnanimous victim. The whole thing was reprehensible.

I missed that episode of SYTYCD. I just read the article, and can not believe what Lythgoe said. Brought me opinion about him down some.

I really like the pictures of Clay posted. I remember seeing him in Grand Rapids and could not believe how handsome he was. It did help that I was in the second row and had a great view.

Being lazy tonight. We went out for a bike ride to train since, we are going on three bike tours this summer, we had 30 mile head winds for the last 16 miles. We did a total of 40 and I can feel it.

Because I will be gone for these tours you know that something great will break and I will be the last to know.

Totally missed that SYTYCD episode or at least that part of it. I have been watching SYTYCD this season.

I skimmed the articles (cuz I'm supposed to be working on Report Card comments :smack: ) Those comments as presented in the articles seemed out of character for Nigel. I'm wondering if he came down on them because he wasn't sure if they were being serious...hence the Blades of Glory comment? I dunno. This is the first I've heard of it. The whole thing has me confused.

OK, I just searched youtube and found it and also found them dancing on some Colorado thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7LFGUMFShg...feature=related

OK, after watching it, I'm still not sure what to think. Colour me confused on the whole thing. It would appear that SYTYCD presented the pair in a Blades Of Glory way, which seemed to be trying poke fun at them and therefore to make Simon's comments seem less homophobic and more "WTF are you two trying to show?" I definitely think that it was presented in such a way as to take some of the heat off of Simon.

:huh:

Taken out of context, one or two of Nigel's comments could have seemed 'harmless' enough. But the way the whole piece was presented on the air was at the least mocking and insulting, and at the worst a clear message to anybody who might be considering auditioning that way in the future. E!, for example used the 'I'd like to see you both dance with a girl' comment, and conveniently left off the 'you never know, you might like it' (added with Nigel's typical creepy leer). Perhaps America isn't ready for a same-sex dance team - and Nigel, especially as producer, is entitled to do what he wants with his show. He point-blank told them they would probably alienate 'their' audience. So then why show them at all? Even if they were the best dancers ever they would not be a 'team' on the show - none of the other partners who've made it through were. They were not the typical anything-for-my-15-minutes 'joke' auditions. I'm fairly certain they didn't consider themselves 'Blades of Glory' material. Like I said - reprehensible, IMO. Nigel & company should be ashamed of themselves.

The world is full of gay couples who dance with each other. WHY shouldn't they be encouraged to try audition for SYTYCD the same as everyone else? They are judged individually--and people are allowed to bring whatever partner they want.

Wouldn't I just love to see Clay and Reed dancing!!!!

Taken out of context, one or two of Nigel's comments could have seemed 'harmless' enough. But the way the whole piece was presented on the air was at the least mocking and insulting, and at the worst a clear message to anybody who might be considering auditioning that way in the future. E!, for example used the 'I'd like to see you both dance with a girl' comment, and conveniently left off the 'you never know, you might like it' (added with Nigel's typical creepy leer). Perhaps America isn't ready for a same-sex dance team - and Nigel, especially as producer, is entitled to do what he wants with his show. He point-blank told them they would probably alienate 'their' audience. So then why show them at all? Even if they were the best dancers ever they would not be a 'team' on the show - none of the other partner's who've made it through were. They were not the typical anything-for-my-15-minutes 'joke' auditions. I'm fairly certain they didn't consider themselves 'Blades of Glory' material. Like I said - reprehensible, IMO.

Yeah, actually, the way that it was put together, it was put together to make them look like a joke. I'm not sure who's in charge of editing that stuff but the way that it was put together was make to make Nigel's comments look less offensive and to make a joke out of the guys. The fact that they fell didn't help matters. The whole thing had a very uncomfortable feel to it.

I saw that episode but didn't notice the music either, not that I would have known what it meant, but thought Nigel's comments were offensive. I was kind of uncomfortable watching those two though but not sure quite why because I loved watching Reed and the other male dancers in that Defying Inequality video. Maybe it was because of the tacky costumes, which did not help the dancers any, in my opinion. I hate those outfits cut down to almost their belly button. Just gross.

It makes me even madder though that they chose to show it that way, which only made the whole thing even more of a gay type joke at the expense of the dancers. This wasn't a live show, so they could have chosen to edit it in any way they chose, yet they made it in an offensive and insensitive way. Jerks. Same to the rest of the media who didn't call them out for it.

Thanks for the links to the video and the article. I don't watch SYTYCD so I had no idea, but sadly, I can't say it surprises me. There is still so much mockery and intolerance out there. As someone who is usually perceived as straight, I hear lots of stuff that I'm sure would not be said to my face if people had a freaking clue.

Hello, FCA! :BlowKiss:

I was planning to write about Kai's latest escapades, but that will have to be next time. The Carolina blog is all about Clay and includes some handsome new graphics by AmazingCA, fountaindawg, and cindilu2. Cindy's June calendar pays homage to the blond hair that Clay says is probably passe.

Hope you enjoy! Thnx for your hits and comments in the Clay blogs, many of which are new today. The links are in the Carolina sidebar.

Taken out of context, one or two of Nigel's comments could have seemed 'harmless' enough. But the way the whole piece was presented on the air was at the least mocking and insulting, and at the worst a clear message to anybody who might be considering auditioning that way in the future. E!, for example used the 'I'd like to see you both dance with a girl' comment, and conveniently left off the 'you never know, you might like it' (added with Nigel's typical creepy leer). Perhaps America isn't ready for a same-sex dance team - and Nigel, especially as producer, is entitled to do what he wants with his show. He point-blank told them they would probably alienate 'their' audience. So then why show them at all? Even if they were the best dancers ever they would not be a 'team' on the show - none of the other partner's who've made it through were. They were not the typical anything-for-my-15-minutes 'joke' auditions. I'm fairly certain they didn't consider themselves 'Blades of Glory' material. Like I said - reprehensible, IMO.

Yeah, actually, the way that it was put together, it was put together to make them look like a joke. I'm not sure who's in charge of editing that stuff but the way that it was put together was make to make Nigel's comments look less offensive and to make a joke out of the guys. The fact that they fell didn't help matters. The whole thing had a very uncomfortable feel to it.

It blows my mind that this can happen in this day and age.

Have a great week! :clay:

Caro listen.gif