#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

Hey, what about some sympathy for me. I had to put up with her bitching all weekend. I think I deserve some hugs.
ok...

{{{justclay12}}} and {{{canfly}}}!!! :thbighug-1:

So good to see you both!!! canfly, you didn't miss a party -- it was just a couple of us who would rather re-listen than sleep.

(this is not yet my recap -- I know I met and talked to so many more... just giving justclay a poke since I swung by at the right time)

:hello:

I think my auction stuff turned out better than the song stuff. Think I was fading by the end, lol.

Description: 2009 NIP Gala Auction Part 2 TV Raffle, Spam Poster, Sean, Spam bear

You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2nb7b2

I should get another hug cuz I had to put up with Justclay's bitching about me bitching all weekend. :imgtongue:

Thanks Lucky!!

Bwah K!

LOL at the Asian breaded shrimp on the airplane. Don't those girls watch Top Chef?

:cryingwlaughter:

I already had the cheeseburger twice during my LA flights last September (the 2nd one by hunger, not choice)... & knowing that In-N-Out had that beat by a mile, I was willing to go with the unknown (i.e. anything but)... and Continental had surprised me before with a great shrimp & balsamic salad that they served on the Florida routes during the JNT '06 season (yes, I flew 3 times to Florida in 4 days and had it all 3 times)

Uh-uh. I don't watch Top Chef. My loyalty is with Takeshi Kaga and even gave up that show after his departure. *sniff*

Ooops, did I use up 2 slots on page 69?

Hi

Just wanted to let you know we sold about $800. worth of jewelry on Sunday. I'm going to take the rest into work and call a few friends. I hope to have $1000 to send to them. I'm also going to tell them it was from a group of Clay fans attending a fundraiser for the organization he started with Diane Bubel. Maybe they would be willing to help the next time we have to vote.

I'll have to work on the group photo with Clay, to hide everyone's faces and scan it in. He was just adorable. I was listenign to ATDW again this afternoon. He did a fantastic job on those covers particularly WY. He always sounds good to me. Hey if people are buying Bob Dylan singing convetional Christmas songs. :cryingwlaughter: Now that's a bad voice.

I wasn't lucky enough to go to the Gala but listened to the cellcert at CV. I didn't think Clay's performance was as good as last year because I thought last year's was exceptional . I was stunned by all the harsh criticism on some of the boards. Clay accomplished what he wanted - the Gala was a huge success and it must have been so hard for him physically and emotionally. The fact that he was wearing glasses shows that he was troubled by allergies. He stated that he had chosen songs appropriate for the Gala and much though I love When Doves Cry etc. it hardly would have been approriate to sing any of those type of songs that his critics apparently wanted. So I don't understand why people were ranting about his choices. I did notice that during ALAWH he took a really deep breath before a part that he had to belt out, as if he were gathering his energy and strength so I believe he was not himself as he usually seems so effortless. However he did sing it with his usual power.

I am glad that you all enjoyed it. Sorry that you are so sick canfly. KAndre How nice to see you - I haven't seen any of your unique posts for ages! I hadn't heard your story about being mistaken for Angela, that made me smile and how like you! Merrieeee (my homey) I agree with you about Patrick Henry. He was not absolutely fabulous as reported but did very nicely on a very long song!

I just have to say this - you are a very nice group of people here. I joined a long time ago but couldn't get back in until recently. I feel so much better having read all your recaps.

I think the reason that I was initially disappointed was because there was a lot of hype about a band and a big stage and professional lighting so I expected a really energetic kick-ass set. I couldn't hear the band at all on the cellcert, just the piano. But I do hear the band on the videos y'all posted. And the first pictures were not flattering because of the lighting. Then Tony and Permaswooned posted some and they were great! He looked his handsome self.

Thanks for answering my questions and my apologies for rambling on!

It breaks my heart when people harshly criticise Clay's voice and say it is shot and hasn't been as good for a few years etc. The only thing Clay has been supremely confident about is his voice, not his looks or personality or popularity - just his voice and it would cut him to the bone to hear those remarks.

awe she doesn't seem that bad

Tribeca is my new best friend. :thumbup:

I think the reason that I was initially disappointed was because there was a lot of hype about a band and a big stage and professional lighting so I expected a really energetic kick-ass set.

Last year he did EIDN, so I was hoping that a band would mean at least one upbeat/fun song. While WDC would not be appropriate for a Gala, Ashes would.

And the first pictures were not flattering because of the lighting. Then Tony and Permaswooned posted some and they were great! He looked his handsome self.

He looked reeeeeeeeally good... at least from half-way back the room and in the photos that they had laid out on the tables for the silver/gold table people to pick up.

It breaks my heat when people harshly criticise Clay's voice and say it is shot and hasn't been as good for a few years etc. The only thing Clay has been supremely confident about is his voice, not his looks or personality or popularity - just his voice and it would cut him to the bone to hear those remarks.

I haven't read anywhere else. I can't say that he sounded his best on the first couple of songs but I don't for a minute believe that his voice is 'shot'. He just hasn't been using it because he's had to rest it from the jaw surgery and just hasn't been singing enough lately his voice to be "in concert form" so to speak. In the past he's relied on never warming up and just showing up and singing. As he gets older, he may have to revise that philosophy. This wasn't something that he could warm up for though.

My friend saw Clay up close and personal and said his face looked beautiful and skin was like porcelain.

I'd agree with that. When we had our picture taken, I was floored by how gorgeous he was. It just didn't translate up on stage with the harsh lighting.

Last year he did EIDN, so I was hoping that a band would mean at least one upbeat/fun song. While WDC would not be appropriate for a Gala, Ashes would.

I totally agree Ashes would have been perfect canfly and even Falling and that was what I was expecting with all the band hype. But I do see why Clay would think GOG was appropriate. I thought EIDN was a fantastic performance last year . One of his best. I was surprised to see the facial contortions as I thought his surgery would have ended them but I read several people's posts who said they were profssional singers and that he did them in order to get a certain sound. However I have seen him sing the same songs where he didn't do them so who knows! It seemed to me that Clay and the guitarist had played MR a lot so maybe they have been working on it in the studio. I thought Clay sang it beautifully and the guitar was really good too. Diane Sawyer would have loved it!

Will any pictures of the fans be posted here? I would love to see them.

OK. Here's where the little girl (who was a peasant at one of the Spamalot shows I was at) decided to stand up right in front of me! Lots of earthquakes as I tried to shoot around her. I had to go into the fuzzy digital zoom range for a lot of it. I had to physically move to the right to get around her head to zoom back enough to get the framed records thingie they were auctioning into the viewfinder. I remember at one point when she half turned around, that I tried to wave her down with my left hand but she was oblivious. I also remember trying to look under the viewfinder to see what I could see with my "naked eye" so to speak and was actually surprised that I was getting as much as I was cuz frankly I couldn't see squat...and neither could the others at my table!

Description: 2009 NIP Gala Auction Part 4 Platinum Record raffle & day with Clay

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lbrjn4

Description: 2009 "National Inclusion Project" Gala Auction Part 5 BFM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lbh817

Description: 2009 "National Inclusion Project" Gala Faye introducing her singer son

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sklpm9

And that's pretty much it for me. I have a bit of Clay's banter before Moon River but I was changing tapes for most of it.

I only filmed when Clay was on stage (except for Faye introducing him)

:GM_FCA:

40 Days until Clay's Birthday!

:yahoo:

102 Days until GFI!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

jamar, I don't know who exactly what doing that hyping, and I'm not sure that I really care. However, to me, some people took the word "b-a-n-d" and made that into "r-o-c-k o-u-t." I guess my years in high school jazz band made me realize early on that a piano, guitar, bass, and drum backing a vocalist is also the perfect setting for some nice, pretty music.

No offense to those who loves Ashes, but for me, it's the one song on the album I almost always skip. Different strokes, though.

Fear, great job with the beads! And thanks for setting that up!

Since everyone has at least 2 cents worth, here's mine even though I wasn't there and am relying on Clack:

I thought Moon River was sung exquisitely, although I've NEVER liked that song. It's not my generation, it's my mother's generation. I've never been a Andy Williams* fan and always have identified that song as his theme since he sold millions of it in the very early 60's. But again, it was Clay's sexy voice that sold that song to me in a big way. It's not so much the song itself but Clay's interpretation that compels my love for it.

Same for that Frankie Valli song -- always disliked it intensely!! But Clay's arrangement was quite wonderful, especially the attenuated note. Yes! But he could easily do that with any other song, and that one is apparently about what a big deal it is that a 6th grader "never laid a hand" on the object of his affection in the 5th grade. It's an 'I'm looking but not touching' song, and absolutely leaves me cold. Again, Clay sang it extremely well and almost made me like it because I sensed that he felt a personal connection with the lyrics. And while lyrics are always a consideration in any song, these never laid a hand on me.

Enough about the music ... as far as how he looked, he looked puffy-eyed from the first pictures on Saturday. Either he was down with allergies, or he'd been crying. People mention how Clay was suffering from his grandfather's death, but Clay is an empath and I'm certain he suffered as much for his mother losing her father and his grandmother losing her husband, as he did for his own loss. From whatever cause, his eyes looked quite swollen and painful to me.

Also, I think it was fantastic that National Inclusion has been recognized by the Eunice Kennedy organization. This iconic woman, who, sadly, died earlier this year, created the Special Olympics in 1968. They are now, officially, The Paralympics, part of The Olympic Games. What a huge honor for Clay and Diane Bubel to receive accolades and partnering opportunities from such a venerable organization.

* Speaking of Andy Williams, I think I never liked the Osmonds because he had them on his show when they were a corny kids act, well before Donnie and Marie. They were so sappy (IMO, of course) that I couldn't stand it and so I summarily rejected all things Osmond. Let me just say that I saw Donnie Osmond perform one HOT Argentine tango last night on DWTS. I'm reevaluating in light of the stunning hotness of that performance. And he looked fantastic. Yes, I can change.

and that was what I was expecting with all the band hype.

All what band hype? I must have missed all the "band hype". Who was "hyping" the band?

Several attendees were excitedly reporting that there was a big stage (as opposed to last year) drums, new guitarists, Sean and Ben and professional lighting etc as opposed to a backing tape or a piano. so assumed that it was going to be more high energy (I was guilty of this too!) The video sound was so much better than the cellcert in which I could only hear the piano and Clay's voice was distorted. I was very relieved to see the videos and cannot understand why he was criticised so much on other boards.

Just back from Weight Watchers, lost 3.8lbs a total of 28.2lbs, not bad after being gone 6 days. I just loved my trip to NC, loved seeing and hearing Clay as himself. I just love the guy even more. Hubby was very HAPPY to see me, Clay is so right about it being good for the men when we get back home, lol!!!!!

Bwah KF on the hotness that is Donny. I don't remember watching the Andy Williams show but always loved Donny and Marie. I'm rooting for Mya for the win but Donny is one of my favorites this year and he may make the final or get close to it. I guess I have never been hard edged. I love Motown still - 40 years later still prefer to listen to that old stuff than anything since. I had my funkadelic period but those songs were so mainstream it can hardly be described as hard. One Nation Under a groove.. heee..oh I need to go listen.

Thanks again to everyone who provided clack!!

I guess 4 people is a band but when I heard the reports of a band I still didn't get any ideas - was just happy for ALAWH cuz I never thought he'd try to sing it live for some reason. Thought the arrangemen would be hard to duplicate although for me it never has to sound like the album. I just remember as much as Ladyj in IM before she left..hope she doesn't mind me sharing.. I know my pasty white boyfriend. heee

LdyJ: OK I think he'll sing some new songs But I'm keeping it real, too You know?

8:14 PM me: yeah no expectations is the best cuz at these things he can really go old school sometimes

Can't get more old school than Moon River.. but as soon as I heard it announced I just knew -- although there was a time people were clamoring for the cutting room floor tape from Diane Sawyer. I think the upset has more to do with the possibility that Clay is making some sort of not rockin' album - maybe even standards or broadway or something like that.

Fans always create their own hype and blame Clay when it doesn't meet their expectations.

I don't know how many other ways he can state that he prefers singing classic songs, but I know that I had to giggle the morning after the gala when I thought about him auctioning off BFM and performing My Eyes Adored You and Moon River. Also, he has mentioned that EIDN is not something he enjoys performing (although I certainly enjoyed his performance of it last year!) and he stated that ALAWH was his favourite from OMWH. I guess I am just lucky in that I really enjoy most of the songs and genres Clay seems to enjoy. If I didn't, I don't think I'd still be here. I have no idea why some people don't just move on and find another singer who performs songs more to their liking, instead of criticizing Clay for his choices. :shrug:

I caught something nasty on the way home from Raleigh, and had to call in sick to work this morning. I am having chills and fever, and am coughing up a lung. Argh.