#55: My Eyes Adored You

ldyjocelyn

Next Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Lots to look forward to. Clay being Clay. It's all good.
    • His heart's big enough for the whole world
    • Big heart, big feet, big......Man
    • Clay's going to sing. Life is good.
    • It's going to be the Summer of Clay
    • If Clay's happy, I'm happy. I don't care shit whether he rocks, sways, or jiggles.
    • What more could a girl (or guy) want?
    • Clay will sing, he'll sound great, and I'll be a happy camper.

I tune in and out of the local radio station that plays all Christmas music when I'm in the car, just in case I can catch a few notes of a Clay song. I did just that this morning, and heard Clay when I was almost at work. Only the song was played backwards, as part of the morning quiz. The guessing must have been going on for a while before I heard the bit, because the callers had narrowed it down to Clay Aiken, but kept guessing "O Holy Night", which was wrong. I hustled my way into my office and tuned back in once I got to my desk. After a long block of commercials, the hosts played a longer version of the backwards clip and took a few more guesses from callers. Someone finally figured out that it was "O Come All Ye Faithful." (Waves to Sharon. Are you a local Clay fan? EEEE!!) It was kind of fun, and good to know that so many listeners recognize Clay's voice, even if they can't decipher the song backwards. (BTW, I figured it out once I heard the longer clip, but not in enough time to call in.)

Argh, I wish our EZ Rock station played Clay Christmas music. They used to, but this year I haven't heard any. I get so frustrated listening to the versions they play that I've taken to switching the channel to a non-Christmas music playing station.

Ahem, my intention is not to insult anyone, and I know that if you can't say something nice it's better to say nothing ... but what the hell, here I go.

I finally saw a live performance of Lambert on SYTYCD last night. My reaction is .... who are his fans? I can't see what anyone sees in him. That garb he was wearing was laughable. What was that on his shoulder, a fungus or something? It was unclear to me if the eyeliner was intentional, or a dripping mess. The retro spats were hideous. The whole look was bizarro, and not in a good way. His hair was over-black, over-processed, and not flattering. The pound of make-up made me wonder ... just how bad is his skin, really?

His voice is not even in the same town as greatness, unless you think a screeching, whining Axl Rose was one of the greats. And his floppy tongue hanging out on the high screeches was so off-putting it made me and my granddaughter go "Ewwwwww" at the same time twice. That song he sang was instantly forgettable, nothing more than ordinary pop pablum, and I don't know if he is capable of singing high notes without screaming. Is he really supposed to be so talented? If this guy would put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and blow-dry his hair, and wash his face, and sing unaffectly with his tongue in his mouth, he may have a future. But what I saw last night were the death throes of a desperate marketing campaign. Hated it. I don't foresee ever making an effort to hear or watch this guy again. I simply can't stand fakes, and that's what I saw last night, in flashing day-glo.

The aftermath of that performance only made me more and more hungry for real talent, real music, i.e., new music from Clay Aiken. And I don't care what he sings. Or if it's considered hip or classic. It'll be real, and warm, and wonderful, that much I know.

Year Seven coming up. Wow.

Argh, I wish our EZ Rock station played Clay Christmas music. They used to, but this year I haven't heard any. I get so frustrated listening to the versions they play that I've taken to switching the channel to a non-Christmas music playing station.

Luckiest- do you mean EZ rock 97.5? They are playing Clay!! I've heard him on there a few times and I don't listen all the time. They play Winter Wonderland and Sleigh Ride I think. And once I've heard Silver Bells (is that one with Kim?). I wish they'd play Clay's MDYK, but instead I've heard Kalan Porter's and I don't like it nearly as much.

:lilredani:

I also heard Adam for the first time last night and he wasn't my cup of tea either but tastes vary.The entire finale sucked IMO except Russell as the winner although he was my second choice after Ellenore. My mom liked Adam on AI but she watches the show for entertainment and other than Ruben hasn't wanted any of the products. Eventually I'll look for some AI stuff for her ipod. Yeah the ipod we got her for xmas last year. This year I'll actually put some music in it LOL.

Is Christmas really only a week away? I've done absolutely nothing this year. No tree. No decorations. No shopping as of yet. Sigh.

Looking forward to 2010 on the Clay front. Looking forward to new music. Do we know anything about Decca yet? I know that Bocelli's christmas album is selling a boat load. What have they done by way of marketing? Anyone know?

Wishing you good luck, luckiest :hug:

:cry4:

Sighhhh. I knew my Ryan would be the first to go.

<<SYTYCD spoiler.

You know, I knew AL reminded me of somebody and I could never put my finger on it. Tonight it finally struck me. Any Get Smart fans out there?

post-496-1261015131_thumb.jpg

Hymie the robot.

:cryingwlaughter:

:hysterical::hysterical:

And I just need to say WORD to KF's entire post! I'm still wtfing over any of the buy in on his manufactured hype :wordpooper:

And in case I haven't mentioned this lately --> :needclay:

I FF'd thru AL last night, so didn't hear him and barely saw him. That's the way I like him best.

My theory is that people are going to be so turned off by him as a gay Idol singer that when they see/hear Clay, they will be so relieved and appreciative of his normalness and talent that they will buy his CDs by droves... :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Keeping... I read somewhere that AL is trying to bring glam back into rock... well, bless his little heart... we'll see who else besides him has any desire to bring glam back. :cryingwlaughter:

I'm so so on Adam. I do think that he has a good voice, just don't particularly like the direction he is going, and I can't stand the cat screeching. The tongue also needs to stay in the mouth. I'm not sure why I love seeing Clay's tongue but Adam's makes me think of a cow's tongue. My daughter was not impressed at all by Adam and thought he looked like a freak. Since I remember KISS, I actually thought Adam looked somewhat toned down, at least for him.

Performance-wise, I actually thought Adam sounded better than JLo. I hated the song and if I heard that chorus one more time, I might have thrown something at the tv. I honestly would have appreciated it more with the sound off because she does put on a great performance, as long as you don't expect singing.

I was surprised by the results last night. My favorites were actually Jakob and Ashleigh. I really enjoyed all of those in the top 8 actually. There were some really impressive dancers this time.

As I was watching the finale of SYTYCD last night, I realized I don't think I've heard a word about the Top 10 from this season going on tour. I enjoyed seeing the previous group when they came here, and would definitely go again if the SYTYCD tour stopped locally. If they don't tour, that's a major bummer, because I bet the dancers make a nice chuck of change touring, and most of them probably won't have the opportunity to make that kind of money again.

I also heard Adam for the first time last night and he wasn't my cup of tea either but tastes vary.The entire finale sucked IMO except Russell as the winner although he was my second choice after Ellenore. My mom liked Adam on AI but she watches the show for entertainment and other than Ruben hasn't wanted any of the products. Eventually I'll look for some AI stuff for her ipod. Yeah the ipod we got her for xmas last year. This year I'll actually put some music in it LOL.

Is Christmas really only a week away? I've done absolutely nothing this year. No tree. No decorations. No shopping as of yet. Sigh.

Looking forward to 2010 on the Clay front. Looking forward to new music. Do we know anything about Decca yet? I know that Bocelli's christmas album is selling a boat load. What have they done by way of marketing? Anyone know?

I gotta say that Adam wasn't the only one I didn't like last night. I thought Leona Lewis's voice was surprisingly weak, and choppy. I didn't see J-Lo but I haven't been a fan of lip sync since American Bandstand. Really, I don't know what was with all the singers on this show. I would have preferred more dancing from past winners. The singing was just not entertaining for me.

As for Bocelli, he had a PBS Special with David Foster just a few days before his new album was released. It was very good. I watched it because my mother called me shortly after it came on to ask me who he was. I turned it on, ID'd him for her, and was hooked to watch the whole thing. Now he's not been one of my favorites heretofore .. I've never bought his music ... but it was a first-class show and I downloaded a couple of Christmas tunes a few days later when this album was released. I also saw Bocelli on one of the late nights (or maybe Leno?) doing his duet with the Muppets, and David was with him again.

I have some sad news. A friend of mine, who mainly lurked here, sassafras, passed away on November 10. I received an email today from her son. He included a link to a wonderful montage he created of his mom, from her early years right up to the present. Those in Raleigh may remember Cynthia from parties and get togethers. She was a good friend and loved Clay very much. She opened her home to me, my family and friends over the years and I will miss her very much. I am so glad that we had the chance to spend some time with her in October, when we were in town for the gala.

Tribute to Cynthia

Luckiest... Thank you for passing on the news about Sassafras. I definitely remember her. I'm sorry for your loss. And that was great that her son shared that with you, and thus us.

Bottlecap... I heard there won't be a tour for this group because the ratings were 25% below what they normally get in the summer and they don't think it will do well. Maybe they will eventually pull something together in smaller venues. I remember the first year it was at a small venue and then they went to stadiums. I think a dance show would be nicer in a smaller venue anyway. I'd definitely go see this group. I just think they got the shaft with the way the season played out with the scheduling and even having a final 6 rather than 4.

KF I only liked JLO because of the SYTYCD girls dancing in the background. eeed when I saw Katee, probably my most favorite dancer ever from this show.JLO should stick to movies..I actually like her light fluff romantic comedies.

I got some good news yesterday, which I really needed because otherwise it was a bad day. I have a friend who has gone to Clay concerts with me and likes him, just not like we do, called me to tell me about her son. He's about 17 months and is going through a stage now where he's not sleeping all through the night. She told me that she started playing Clay's Christmas cd to see if it would help him sleep, and loves it. He'll point to the cd player for her to turn it on. Kid's got great taste.

Great taste indeed! :wub:

I have some sad news. A friend of mine, who mainly lurked here, sassafras, passed away on November 10. I received an email today from her son. He included a link to a wonderful montage he created of his mom, from her early years right up to the present. Those in Raleigh may remember Cynthia from parties and get togethers. She was a good friend and loved Clay very much. She opened her home to me, my family and friends over the years and I will miss her very much. I am so glad that we had the chance to spend some time with her in October, when we were in town for the gala.

Tribute to Cynthia

:cry4::cry4:

I didn't know sassafras well, but I've met her several times and just loved her!! I'm so sad to hear that she is gone. And how eerie is it that she died on the same day my mom died? I hope they're somewhere grooving on Clay's music together.

I'm so so on Adam. I do think that he has a good voice, just don't particularly like the direction he is going, and I can't stand the cat screeching. The tongue also needs to stay in the mouth. I'm not sure why I love seeing Clay's tongue but Adam's makes me think of a cow's tongue. My daughter was not impressed at all by Adam and thought he looked like a freak. Since I remember KISS, I actually thought Adam looked somewhat toned down, at least for him.

I think this has something to do with the fact that Clay's facial features seem much more refined. Classic good looks and an inner beauty that shines from within make the difference for me anyway. :wub: He is far more subtle about his sex appeal. (understatement of the year!!)

Not to mention the entire circus act AL calls his hair and wardrobe that just make it difficult for m to look at him without LMAO. :imgtongue:

luckiest, so sorry to hear about sassafras! :(

Tribute to Cynthia

Sorry about the loss of your friend. I am glad that you got to spend time with her in October. I watched the Tribute montage, and she seems like a woman who enjoyed living life to the fullest.

Ahem, my intention is not to insult anyone, and I know that if you can't say something nice it's better to say nothing ... but what the hell, here I go.

I finally saw a live performance of Lambert on SYTYCD last night. My reaction is .... who are his fans? I can't see what anyone sees in him. That garb he was wearing was laughable. What was that on his shoulder, a fungus or something? It was unclear to me if the eyeliner was intentional, or a dripping mess. The retro spats were hideous. The whole look was bizarro, and not in a good way. His hair was over-black, over-processed, and not flattering. The pound of make-up made me wonder ... just how bad is his skin, really?

His voice is not even in the same town as greatness, unless you think a screeching, whining Axl Rose was one of the greats. And his floppy tongue hanging out on the high screeches was so off-putting it made me and my granddaughter go "Ewwwwww" at the same time twice. That song he sang was instantly forgettable, nothing more than ordinary pop pablum, and I don't know if he is capable of singing high notes without screaming. Is he really supposed to be so talented? If this guy would put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and blow-dry his hair, and wash his face, and sing unaffectly with his tongue in his mouth, he may have a future. But what I saw last night were the death throes of a desperate marketing campaign. Hated it. I don't foresee ever making an effort to hear or watch this guy again. I simply can't stand fakes, and that's what I saw last night, in flashing day-glo.

The aftermath of that performance only made me more and more hungry for real talent, real music, i.e., new music from Clay Aiken. And I don't care what he sings. Or if it's considered hip or classic. It'll be real, and warm, and wonderful, that much I know.

Year Seven coming up. Wow.

Not insulted here. I see Lambert the same way you do. What I can not figure out is that a lot of Clay fans appear to "love" him. I just am not seeing the talent. All I see is the desperate attempt to bring attentions to himself, and not in a good way. I have seen photos without makeup, and he does have bad skin with a lot of what appear to be acne scars or pockmarks. I love the description of your reaction to Adam, you definitely have a way with words.

Scarlett,

I see you down there. I guess you and I are night owls. Clay's face book is partially public right now. Actually one can only see one page where there is a map of cities where he has visited. The man has traveled. There are some places that I do not think we knew about.

:GM_FCA:

WOOHOO, I am done! Recitals are finished, and there are no more lessons until Jan. 4!!! :04:

The new Carolina On My Mind blog is about the week's two student holiday recitals with a section on "Merry Christmas With Love" (montage with video from Scarlett, Hippoga, and SLC; graphics; lyrics; and other info). I didn't put Clay's name in the headline, and that probably was not wise for Google hits/comments.

ABeautifulMind surprised me with Christmas graphics of Kai and Lia, and her MCWL design (with a photo by fivegoldens) leads the blog. Here are the thumbnails for all three. I hope you will drop by and see the larger versions:

th_ABM_ChristmasKai_09.gifth_ABM_FG4.jpgth_ABM_ChristmasLia_09.png

Graphics by ABeautifulMind

At the bottom I asked if readers have been involved in similar recitals as a student, teacher, or parent; and I hope there are several takers. I have tons of other stories from the years I taught 50 students a week versus the current 12. With the 50, we did four separate recitals on one Saturday, after which I was one dead mama. :cryingwlaughter:

Thank you for your support. Apparently, the blog is really going to need it this time! :)

cindilu2, you know I think that banner would make a gorgeous graphic. :whistling-1:

My condolences to the family and friends of sassafras. I never met her, but remember her name from the early years of supporting Clay. :wub:

Have a wonderful Friday, all! yahoo.gif

Caro2.gif

---------------------------

Drop by anytime: Carolina On My Mind

Click to stream Clay Aiken at MySpace

Thanks to everyone who has posted about sassafras. She was more a lurker than a poster, but I actually met her at CH, sight unseen, when she was generous enough to offer us a free place to stay in 2004 for the NaT, and then again last year for the Gala. We attended a few NC concerts together in between, including the DCAT or SRHP in Asheville. I will never forget the crazy drive in her car, getting stuck in traffic jams on the way out of Raleigh, and then on into the mountains of NC. And then of course the beautiful Biltmore Estate and the grounds, the concert under the stars, and that amazing bus line. Cynthia wasn't in the greatest health, but we held her hand and she kept up while Jerome pulled us along into the formation he wanted. She loved that entire trip.

We were able to have dinner with her just recently, while we were in town for the National Inclusion Project Gala, and she seemed happy and in better health than I'd seen her in a long time. I don't know how she died, but I am just glad that we were able to spend some time with her again this year. It will not be the same going to NC, knowing she is no longer there.

Cynthia in 2009