#55: My Eyes Adored You

ldyjocelyn

Next Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Lots to look forward to. Clay being Clay. It's all good.
    • His heart's big enough for the whole world
    • Big heart, big feet, big......Man
    • Clay's going to sing. Life is good.
    • It's going to be the Summer of Clay
    • If Clay's happy, I'm happy. I don't care shit whether he rocks, sways, or jiggles.
    • What more could a girl (or guy) want?
    • Clay will sing, he'll sound great, and I'll be a happy camper.

I've never had Pavlova's but they sound yummy! I have made Meringue Cookies which sound along the same lines. I will have to try to make one at some point.

I love to cook and bake when I am in the mood, and I have been known to experiment in the kitchen copying restaurant recipes or creating my own. What I don't like is the chore of having to cook when there is something else I need to be doing or when I am tired. Life definately limits the time I spend in the kitchen but when I'm in the mood my favorite thing to make is desserts.

I also saw Avatar this weekend and OMG I LOVE THAT MOVIE!! I want to go see it again. The 3D is awesome because its not that cheesy in your face 3D effect that I think of when I hear 3D. But what it did do is enchance the landscape and effects in the movie making it seem very realistic. I loved the story too.

Fear, sending prayers that your son gets well soon.

FromClaygary, you are an excellent decorator! *g*

I hate to be the downer around here but my son who usually comes here to pick up his family's gifts emailed me last night to say that he has pneumonia and had spent 6 hours in the ER. He let his bronchitis go to far without getting antibiotics. I am concerned because his wife will not contact us no matter what. She has not let us see our granddaughter for three years, so if my son got sicker we would never know. He is usually pretty healthy so I'm not too concerned but I would love to bring him some of the chicken broth I have in the freezer. :angry2:

I felt bad when our neighbors' invited us over for Christmas dinner with their family as I didn't get them a gift and they purchased one for us. Fortunately her daughter bought her a new computer which didn't come with a keyboard so I was able to give her one I had that was barely used. Amazing how things work out.

Fear, sending good vibes for your son's recovery and your family. I love your Christmas Day story with the neighbor. :)

Thnx for the pix, FromClaygary! :04:

Caro :listen:

What are some of those "best left to the experts" items for my fellow FCAers?

My pastry is pretty good when I am making a 2 crust pie but I have never gotten the hang of making a pie shell.

{{{{{Fear and son}}}}}}

I make the best pumpkin pie, but I get the pie crust from the grocery store ready to roll out into the pie tin. Cinnamon rolls I have to buy already made.

I have had friends tell me that Avatar was great and It's Complicated was very funny. I haven't gone to any movies, but it seems like there are several good ones out right now. Sherlock Holmes looks good but both the friends who tried to go to see it said it was sold out.

FromClaygary.... great decorations!!!

{{{{{Fear and son}}}}}}

I make the best pumpkin pie, but I get the pie crust from the grocery store ready to roll out into the pie tin. Cinnamon rolls I have to buy already made.

I have had friends tell me that Avatar was great and It's Complicated was very funny. I haven't gone to any movies, but it seems like there are several good ones out right now. Sherlock Holmes looks good but both the friends who tried to go to see it said it was sold out.

FromClaygary.... great decorations!!!

luckiest1 and I went to see Sherlock Holmes this afternoon. Actually, we went to see The Blind Side but it was sold out except for 15 seats!!! Incredible, considering it's been out for a month. So, Sherlock Holmes it was. I thoroughly enjoyed it though - both Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law were excellent in it, and it had some really funny moments which I did not expect.

:GE_FCA:

The new Carolina On My Mind blog features the montage "Memories of 2009" by LovesClaysVoice, as well as an overview of graphics by cindilu2, AmazingCA, Fountaindawg, and Ashes. The blog is literally half 2009 and half anticipation for 2010 and the Decca Decade!!!

Thank you for your hits/comments, which keep the Clay blogs in "business." My brother called in the middle of my tweet, which made editing interesting. I have also posted on Facebook. This graphic by cindilu2 appears there:

th_cind_best1.jpg

Clickable by cindilu2

The entry about Joan/Ashes/Claysmelody has received 50 comments. I do hope we will be able to reach her sons so they can read how much their mother meant to the Clay Nation. People are making donations to the National Inclusion Project, but we have no address for informing the family. If anyone does, please be in touch. :wub:

Is FCA planning a New Year's Eve celebration? If so, I will be glad to advertise it in the next blog. :)

Have a wonderful week! :snoopy:

ABM_HNY2010.gif

I went to see Sherlock Holmes on Boxing Day, really enjoyed, tried to go see Avatar today but sold out again. The parking at the theater was jammed packed.

Really love the memories of 2009 montage. Love the pics Fromclaygary, watched the video of stagedoor pic and saw myself so funny to see how was there seeing him in person close up. Can't wait for a concert in 2010!

Heh...knew there was a reason I was up! :wub:

huffingtonpost.com

Progress in Somalia Despite Difficult Circumstances

Progress in Somalia Despite Difficult Circumstances

Clay Aiken

UNICEF Ambassador

Posted: December 29, 2009 06:23 AM

This past November, while we celebrated the 20th anniversary of the signing of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, a grim milestone was reached in the east African nation of Somalia. The conflict and instability which has characterized that nation for the past 20 years has produced a generation in its central southern province that has never known peace.

In this season of peace and goodwill, this jarring reality should spur us to action so that future generations are not lost.

The mere mention of Somalia conjures in the mind of everyday Americans a place where lawlessness reigns. Indeed, the perception is that no other country has done more to place the issue of maritime piracy at the forefront of our minds and within our headlines.

While this may be true...it's certainly not the whole story.

Last year, in my role as UNICEF Ambassador, I spent five days in northwest Somalia. There's no question that years of civil war and a defunct central government has left much of this nation dangerously unstable. In fact, half the population of Somalia remains internally displaced and in a state of humanitarian emergency.

This tragic reality affects an estimated 3.6 million people, half of whom are children. Over 1.5 million are displaced as a result of conflict, largely between Islamic extremists and government forces. Not only is this population burdened by violence and instability, but also extreme poverty and recurrent food shortages.

There are, however, glimmers of hope. For one, the Somali Transitional Federal Government (TFG) has made overtures to place the well-being of children on its emerging social service agenda.

One significant achievement the country boasts is that it has remained polio free since 2007. Also, despite a prolonged drought affecting over 1.4 million, including 700,000 children, there is visible evidence of declining malnutrition rates. This year, in fact, UNICEF and the World Food Programme (WFP) have reported that they're on track to reach up to 50,000 severely malnourished children -- more than double those reached in 2008.

In addition, through the Child Health Days initiative, UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO) were able to deliver low-cost, high-impact health packages this year to over one million children under the age of five. These interventions included immunization, vitamin A supplementation, de-worming tablets and oral rehydration salts to combat diarrhea caused by contaminated water.

As a former teacher, the issue of education remains close to my heart. Education provides the confidence needed to make the most of a child's abilities. A protective learning environment can help change attitudes about violence while also promoting equality. Keeping schools operational in communities affected by conflict and in camps for the internally displaced is an essential priority for UNICEF in Somalia, as is providing incentives and training for teachers. This year, in the central southern zone, 89,000 out-of-school or emergency affected children gained access to primary education.

Last month, after being one of only two countries to not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Somali Transitional Government signaled their intention to join the community of nations who have already adopted this groundbreaking human rights treaty. This is a tremendous step in the right direction. But more still needs to be done. A minimum of $12 million is needed to respond to the emergency needs of the Somali population in the first quarter of 2010.

Let's pledge to make a difference this holiday season for the children of Somalia so that the next milestone the current generation marks will be one of dreams realized for their children.

Learn more about the situation in Somalia and help UNICEF bring hope to children in this area through Unicef.org.

My grandson goes to a small charter school (ADHD kids who would be over-medicated or just yelled at in a big school) - and his class all went to see The Blind Side as a field trip, last week. He loved it. I had been aware of the story for a while, and I hope it inspires even just a few people to reach out and help someone.

Can't wait to see Sherlock Holmes!!!! Avatar was gorgeous, now I want to see it in IMAX.

I love the Somalia mention - see? Clay's not lazy, as some would have it. He has a life, and does more than most people on the charity and philanthropy front. I suppose he should have twittered "Did U No abt Somalia" on Christmas Eve, and that would have made some people happier. Shrug.

I am glad he managed a private family Christmas.

Thanks for bringing that over, ldyj. I am happy to know that he is still involved with Unicef.....that's the first we've heard of it in quite some time. I wonder if they'll issue some sort of a challenge, or if those who can should just pledge individually.....

I don't think I am meant to see The Blind Side in theatres......I've tried twice now. I guess we could have seen it yesterday as it wasn't technically sold out, but who wants to sit in the first row? Not me. Too hard on the neck when you're old. :P

I don't think I am meant to see The Blind Side in theatres......I've tried twice now. I guess we could have seen it yesterday as it wasn't technically sold out, but who wants to sit in the first row? Not me. Too hard on the neck when you're old. :P
We always go to the weekend morning shows - only $5, and soon enough after breakfast that we are not tempted by the concession stand. When I want to see something really popular, I get the tickets online the night before.

Of course, I need to pay more attention to that - I bought the Avatar tickets and did not notice that the showing I picked was not a 3-D showing. But the nice guy at the front desk exchanged the tickets for a 3-D showing - but that cost another $3 a ticket, because it was 3-D.

I realise that going to the movies is, as it should be, a fun night out for most, just saying the morning thing is a great way to save money and be pretty sure you can get seats wherever you want. When my grandson was younger, and more spectacularly ADHD, we tried to get seats where he could put the armrests down and lay down, get up, change to the next seat, stretch his legs, and not bother other people. Heeeee.....and he constantly did all that gyrating while intently watching the screen, wearing the headphones that the theater provides for people with hearing problems. :-O.

Since movies are supposed to be fun, I wasn't going to take him to a crowded theater and then hiss at him to be still all through the movie. Win-win!

Avoid kiddie movies in the morning like the plague, though, unless you are bringing a kiddie of your own! Yikes!!!!!!!

:GM_FCA:

Overslept this morning...did not get up until 7:00 when I am usually up at 6:00...could not sleep last night...not a good way to start the day. At least only one more day of work tomorrow and then 4 off.

33 Days until GFI!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

When I went home this past weekend, my brother's entire family said "you gotta see 'The Blind Side,'" which usually means to me "avoid like the plague" as he is as conservative as can be. OTOH, I've seen the ads and previews, and I do like Sandra Bullock. It may be meant for Netflix for me.

More from the Huffington Post -- Clay's bio:

Clay Aiken was appointed a UNICEF ambassador in 2004.

In March 2005 Aiken toured the tsunami-ravaged Indonesia and heightened awareness about the need to restore schooling to displaced children. In May 2005 Aiken traveled to Uganda, where he saw children on the run from kidnapping and involuntary enlistment in the local guerrilla army. He has also traveled to Mexico to aid children affected by recent floods.

In April 2007 Aiken traveled to Afghanistan where he toured schools and marveled at the resilience of the children he met there. His experience prompted him to launch the "$100,000 in 10 Days" campaign to continue offering lifesaving support for kids in that country. The campaign ended up netting $250,000 in fewer than five days.

In June 2008, Aiken traveled to Somalia, a country where conflict and hunger have created one of the world's worst humanitarian crises.

Aiken continues to be an avid champion for the often forgotten children of the world.

You can also sign up with Huffington Post to become of "a fan" and receive email notifications when he blogs again.

Thanks for bringing that over, ldyj. I am happy to know that he is still involved with Unicef.....that's the first we've heard of it in quite some time. I wonder if they'll issue some sort of a challenge, or if those who can should just pledge individually.....

luckiest... I saw Blindside and it is great. I am about half way thru the book, which is great if you like to learn more stuff about football history. The movie did take license a few times, but it made for a better movie. I now watch him (74) when the Ravens play. I heard they were doing a special on his life on some tv station tonight, but don't know the details.

I am glad he is still UNICEF, too. I wonder tho, if he will ever be able to visit a foreign country again now that he is openly gay. It might be too dangerous and he will be restricted to working within the organization just in this country. We'll see, I guess.

:clap: Clay!

Have a great day CV, off to work today- year end and all.

ETA: Had an email from my son. He is feeling bad but thinks he has turned a corner.

Fear... glad you son is feeling a bit better. However, see bolded above... did you forget where you were this morning... LOL

Couchie... should we make her write, "I am at FCA." 500 times???? :cryingwlaughter:

luckiest... I saw Blindside and it is great. I am about half way thru the book, which is great if you like to learn more stuff about football history. The movie did take license a few times, but it made for a better movie. I now watch him (74) when the Ravens play. I heard they were doing a special on his life on some tv station tonight, but don't know the details.

I am glad he is still UNICEF, too. I wonder tho, if he will ever be able to visit a foreign country again now that he is openly gay. It might be too dangerous and he will be restricted to working within the organization just in this country. We'll see, I guess.

Have a great day CV, off to work today- year end and all.

I wondered about Clay's field trips as well, liney. I would like us to be wrong about that, but I fear we are not. I'm just glad to see something current from him involving UNICEF. I'll admit, I was starting to worry a little.

The Blind Side is a wonderful, feel-good movie. I'm so happy that Sandra had this one right on the heels of the abysmal 'All About Steve'.