#61: Eight years of freakishly fun tours...and yes, he's still the one!

ldyjocelyn

Next FCA Thread Title  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I'm not a regular drinker, but after every Clay concert I need something hard.
    • So I'm a filty-mouthed degenerate, with the hots for a gay singer. I don't see a problem.
    • I drank the koolaid and it was mighty fine.
    • It is a good cult!
    • I think that caused another kerfuffle.
    • I live in Clay World. And I'm not moving.
    • The Worst Bad Boys For You: The Ones That Only Look Non-Threatening

A tweet from Team Clay:

Sorry it's been quiet around here at Team Clay. Just stopping in to say hello! :)

I know that quiet time all too well...not even related to Clay, but me. I can drop off the face of the internet for a week at a time, easy. Though I don't possibly have anything in the works. lol

I didn't watch that whole youtube, but it was cute that it wasn't the F word you'd think it is.

:GM_FCA:

Seems to be a lot of grumbling around the fandom..so wondering, are all fandoms this needy when the object of their affection is taking a break? I personally don't need Clay to tweet or blog to remain interested...my fandom is not based on any of that...it is solely based on my love of his voice and my admiration of him as a man and how he lives his life. That won't be changing no matter if his next career venture is one month from now, 6 months or even a year.

I loved the Facebook interactions from yesterday because it shows me that Clay is living his life and enjoying his friends; when he is on his downtime I just don't think he thinks about us they we think about him...it is just "okay, the tour is over, time to get busy with other things" and I do believe he is busy working on whatever comes next.

Every day that goes by is one day closer to whatever that may be.

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I find most 'fandoms' are the same. I would love to know what's next for Clay, but I'm not one who gets upset when he disappears for a couple of months. I am sure he's busy behind the scenes. I have lots of other interests, so in down times, I let those take over. What's amazing to me is how fast I get drawn back in to the craziness once he surfaces. :)

I miss him too but he has a private too! He deserves some time off! Of course I'll be glad to hear anything new about him and what he plans to do in the futur. Like luchiest1 mentionned getting drawn back into the craziness once again he surfaces, that's fine with me. I don't think I'll be able to do any travelling this year but will enjoy watching him on my computer and reading any kind of recaps the fans that are fortunate enough to see him live! I'm so thankful because of one generous fan that I was able to see him in Chicago, and that I have 2 travel buddies from here that I was able to see him 3 concerts in the last summer tour and the T&T tour for one concert in February. I personnaly need this hobby and the fandom! It's brought so much to my life, made me realize a void I had in my life. :starhugs: to all my clayfans! Have a good day everyone!

What's amazing to me is how fast I get drawn back in to the craziness once he surfaces. :)

To me, that's the crux of the matter. I too like having a break, knowing that he'll come out of hiding soon (my definition or Clay's, doesn't matter *g*) and I'll be back to planning trips, watching clack, etc. But I know it will happen -- I have faith. Some, I feel, do not.

On another topic: could this be how Clay is involved in Drop Dead Diva?

Wanda Sykes to guest as a judge on 'Drop Dead Diva' (plus more season 3 spoilers) -- EXCLUSIVE

The guest stars keep lining up for this summer's third season of Lifetime's Drop Dead Diva: EW has learned exclusively that Wanda Sykes will appear in episode six as Judge Yvonne Wright, who presides over a case inspired by Mississippi high school senior
, who was denied access to her prom because she wanted to attend with her girlfriend. Creator Josh Berman tells EW he got the idea to dramatize McMillen's story a year ago, when he watched
with an honor at the 2010 GLAAD Media Awards. "When I wrote the episode, of course, my dream was to cast Wanda, never thinking that she would do it," Berman says. "We sent her the pages, and she read the script, and she said yes. It came full circle." Sykes' judge is "acerbic, very funny and clever, and doesn't take any crap from anyone, as we would expect Wanda to be," he laughs. "It also adds another dynamic, because as an African-American woman, she has a different perspective than Jane [series star Brooke Elliott], and so they kind of go head-to-head a little bit." McMillen will cameo in the episode as the judge's bailiff.

"At the heart of Drop Dead Diva, the show is about identity and being comfortable with who we are, and nowhere is that more poignant than in Constance's story of just wanting to be able to go to prom, which is something that most of just take for granted when we're in high school," Berman says. "The notion of just having to fight just to go to your school dance was something that really resonated with me. As a writer, I couldn't could have come up with some of the plot points in this episode out of thin air. Reading about Constance's case, and also several other truth life stories about gay men and lesbian women who were denied access to prom that inform this episode, it's just a head scratcher to me." He expects to announce additional guest stars in the episode. "Given the subject matter, there are other people who want to be part of it," he says.

What's amazing to me is how fast I get drawn back in to the craziness once he surfaces. :)

To me, that's the crux of the matter. I too like having a break, knowing that he'll come out of hiding soon (my definition or Clay's, doesn't matter *g*) and I'll be back to planning trips, watching clack, etc. But I know it will happen -- I have faith. Some, I feel, do not.

On another topic: could this be how Clay is involved in Drop Dead Diva?

Wanda Sykes to guest as a judge on 'Drop Dead Diva' (plus more season 3 spoilers) -- EXCLUSIVE

The guest stars keep lining up for this summer's third season of Lifetime's Drop Dead Diva: EW has learned exclusively that Wanda Sykes will appear in episode six as Judge Yvonne Wright, who presides over a case inspired by Mississippi high school senior
, who was denied access to her prom because she wanted to attend with her girlfriend. Creator Josh Berman tells EW he got the idea to dramatize McMillen's story a year ago, when he watched
with an honor at the 2010 GLAAD Media Awards. "When I wrote the episode, of course, my dream was to cast Wanda, never thinking that she would do it," Berman says. "We sent her the pages, and she read the script, and she said yes. It came full circle." Sykes' judge is "acerbic, very funny and clever, and doesn't take any crap from anyone, as we would expect Wanda to be," he laughs. "It also adds another dynamic, because as an African-American woman, she has a different perspective than Jane [series star Brooke Elliott], and so they kind of go head-to-head a little bit." McMillen will cameo in the episode as the judge's bailiff.

"At the heart of Drop Dead Diva, the show is about identity and being comfortable with who we are, and nowhere is that more poignant than in Constance's story of just wanting to be able to go to prom, which is something that most of just take for granted when we're in high school," Berman says. "The notion of just having to fight just to go to your school dance was something that really resonated with me. As a writer, I couldn't could have come up with some of the plot points in this episode out of thin air. Reading about Constance's case, and also several other truth life stories about gay men and lesbian women who were denied access to prom that inform this episode, it's just a head scratcher to me." He expects to announce additional guest stars in the episode. "Given the subject matter, there are other people who want to be part of it," he says.

That sounds very much like something Clay would want to be involved with...keeping everything crossed he is one of the "additional guest stars"

Kim

I was getting a bit frustrated with all the negative posts about what Clay should or shouldn't be doing to Aikim. I know people are frustrated and want to know what is going to happen next, as do I, but it does get old having this stuff come up all the time, especially during downtimes. I don't think it really matters if tweeting or doing the social networking will or won't work for Clay, but Clay is the one who has to determine if it is worth it for him. If not, then people need to just accept it because they aren't going to change him.

I agree ldyj, that a lot has to do with people not having faith in Clay. And I'm with you in that I believe Clay will always find a way to keep his career. He's not only talented, but he's smart and determined. He'll be alright.

I hope Clay is on DDD, and I love the whole idea of that episode, but I'm not sure if I want Clay to be on that one or not. If it's a big, meaty part or a recurring role, then yes. But if he's just in a bit part, thrown in with a bunch of other famous actors/entertainers, then I'm not so sure. I want other people to be able to see how talented Clay is and a bit part probably won't do it.

I just always find it a hoot that people who have never worked in the music industry seem to think they know better than Clay how to run his career.

I will never second guess him because I am not in the music industry; I have never sat next to him in meetings or been privy to conversations he has had with business associated that affected his decisions. He made the decisions he made with the information he had at the time and did what he thought was best. Since we don't and probably will never have all the information he does, I don't know how anyone can judge him. I am sure if anyone asked him he would probably say that he has made wrong decisions at time..haven't we all? I look back at my life and there are many things I would have done differently...but we all make decisions that we feel are right at the time.

He is a smart man..he knows the recording industry is not all that and there may not be a place for him in it..but he knows he wants to continue singing and to me that means Broadway.

I truly believe he is working on that right now and when the time is right we will hear about it.

I can't wait.

Kim

I was getting a bit frustrated with all the negative posts about what Clay should or shouldn't be doing to Aikim

Lucky Akim! :cryingwlaughter:

I've run out of Orville Redenbachers..........anyone have some?

I was getting a bit frustrated with all the negative posts about what Clay should or shouldn't be doing to Aikim

Lucky Akim! :cryingwlaughter:

I've run out of Orville Redenbachers..........anyone have some?

:GM_FCA:

Shh...don't tell my husband, LOL!

Couchie I have always thought it was the norm too..has never bothered me when Clay takes time off after a project. This last tour he went above and beyond with the fans with all the PBS M&G's, regular M&G's..keeping the tour going when he knew sales were not good..I can never thank him enough for that...as much as he appreciates us, I do think he needs a break now and then.

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Considering that Clay met, talked to, hugged, and had pictures with more than 1000 of us during a month-long tour, I really think he deserves a rest a long, long way from the fandom. What could he possibly say in a blog or a tweet that he didn't in the M&Gs and on stage every night? Boggles the mind.

Considering that Clay met, talked to, hugged, and had pictures with more than 1000 of us during a month-long tour, I really think he deserves a rest a long, long way from the fandom. What could he possibly say in a blog or a tweet that he didn't in the M&Gs and on stage every night? Boggles the mind.

And you know..if he did blog and didn't tell us any career news, than people would be complaining about that..he knows that.

Kim

I think the idea that he needs to start using Twitter tells me more about "us" than it does him. And I'll say, I mean that in a larger, societal point of view.

couchie's right -- it used to be that there were years between albums, with nary a word from the artist. But in today's society, there's this constant need for entertainment, and Twitter seems to feed on that. I'm not blameless in this regard, because I dearly love my Facebook, and can barely spend more than a few hours away from it.

But I sometimes wonder how good that is for me. Am I THAT dependent? I wonder how good this will be for me in the long run, craving that constant news feed. As much as I love knowing things almost instantaneously, I think sometimes it is better to let things marinate in the spheres for a while before becoming known.

Yes, I find it frustrating sometimes that Clay doesn't Twitter once in a while. I think he'd be good at it -- he has a way with words that shows his snarky sense of humor. Having said that, though -- I think it would feed this constant craving that would finally end up unsatisfying.

I also still don't quite understand the "he should Twitter because it would gain him new fans." Do people really follow people on Twitter just because they've heard that their tweets are cool? The people I follow on Twitter (which is only about 5 people) are ones that I liked before I signed on to follow.

Anyway, rant over. Back to the grind.

The wackyjacky post bemoaning Clay’s relative lack of followers on Twitter is the impetus behind much of the discussion, IMO. If you think Clay was wj and / or approved of wj’s posts (and the CV mods seem unanimous in believing that to be the case), the obvious solution to gaining followers is to, you know, actually TWEET and start building an audience for what are essentially short quips and one-liners.

I have to admit that my twitter feed is pretty shallow. I follow CNN and NPR, but the rest of the 50-some twitterers that I follow tend to be either funny or engaging in some manner. And yes, I have started following people on the recommendation of others in my feed. I have also unfollowed the feeds of twitterers that are too prolific (I’m looking at you, Roger Ebert) or too heavy on the self-promotion at the expense of being entertaining. It’s kind of an ongoing process of curating a feed that I find enjoyable and informative, without being too time consuming to scan through.

I've followed a few celebs on Twitter just on a whim...I'll look over their most recent tweets to get a feel for what they're like and then follow. David Schwimmer comes to mind, I just added him last week-ish and he's brand new to Twitter. I have no idea what he's really like because I think I've seen exactly 1 or 2 whole interviews by him. And then there's Katy Perry...lol. I'm a fan of Russell Brand and I thought it would only be appropriate to start following his new wife. They have some pretty funny exchanges!

Well, I don't twitter but I do enjoy the twitter posts of Clay sightings, etc...I have a Facebook account and barely post anything on that...I really wonder how people have the time! Clay has been so adamant about not tweeting, I would be very surprised if ever does.

Kim

This tweeter is from Boston..Nick lives in Boston..but there are other cities with red lines:

mirtharose: Clay Aiken is on the Red Line. #starstruck

30 minutes ago via ÜberSocial · Reply · View Tweet

I hope you had a good time Aikim, since I had Clay doing stuff to you. That's what happens when you edit something in at the last minute.

I don't understand all these people who believe Clay is wackyjacky just because the CV mods do. They are only going on the same info we have going by their posts, and my conclusion differs from theirs. And I certainly wouldn't be letting others opinions influence my own, which explains why I have so many issues with organized religion. I don't think that Clay is wackyjacky, although I do think he knows who it is, and may even have wanted them to get the message out there about tour sales. Not sure how they thought that was gonna work since how many of us are going to listen to a poster that we don't know anything about who only has 3 posts, none of which were particularly well received.

I've signed up to follow some people on twitter but never check it. I read some of the tweets the first night I signed up but you could spend all day there and I just don't have time for that. Same with facebook but then I can't handle random chit chat in real life so it appeals to me even less online. I think I was born without certain social skills, added to that is that I don't want everyone knowing my personal business and I hate the games, so facebook is not the place for me.

I can understand why people would like Clay to tweet or post on facebook, or even blog more because he is entertaining and we all like to hear from him, but what do they expect to gain from the constant nagging and harping. Clay's going to do what he is going to do and if his friends and associates can't change him, how do they seriously think they are going to be able to? It's time to let it go already especially because it makes me very cranky. If I wanted to listen to nagging, I'd still be talking to my sister. And in spite of people believing that being popular on twitter and facebook makes one socially relevant, I believe that it just shows that you are the current flavor of the month. It's your work, whatever that may be, that makes you relevant. Who's gonna remember anyone's tweets or facebook postings 20 years from now?