# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

Tijala he made the "whoring himself out" joke again at the VIP night. He always laughs after he says it so I don't think its anything other than an inside joke with the members of the foundation.

I didn't get upset after seeing Clay sing the song. It may not have been the best way to end the Gala though. It was a little abrupt and we sat waiting for something else to happen. The next morning his mom laughed about it and said that Clay loves drama. She said it was like his ending to All is Well.

I read that some fans are punishing the NIP for their unhappiness.

What a day. Our trains are on strike so I left home at 6 am and got to work at 7:45. Left work at 5:30, had to run 1 errand and got home at 9. 4 busses passed me up because they were so full. Even so I support the workers. Hope they can reach some sort of agreement soon though.

Floating around clack and didn't have a clue. Guess I'm really on the outs these days. You know what I feel like watching? Spamalot. One of my favorite things ever. I haven't seen it in awhile. I'll wait until closer to xmas to listen to xmas songs. I already want to snatch the Christmas wreath off my neighbor's door. He put it on last week and It's not even Halloween yet!!! But the funny thing is that I still listen to Good News on repeat when I'm feeling down or stressed out.

On Sunday I will be attending a memorial celebration for Muskifest's husband. He was a wonderful man and dad and he really went before his time. It's really a shocking thing to me that you can be walking around fine one week and 3 months later be gone from this earth. It's tragic and just a reminder not to spend any time on anything that doesn't make you happy. One of the things I treasure most about this ride we have all been on is the friendships. Some of them survive even when the thing that brought you together isn't the reason you remain friends.

Aikim, it's weird because I haven't seen or been a part of any of the latest bruhaha. I've heard some things but hasn't impacted me since I'm not reading daily. I think I'll continue to stay blissful in my ignorance.

LdyJ Clay was always dramatic ending his shows. As I mentioned to you, Solitaire was a particularly fun one. Man you would have thought he got up from his deathbed to deliver one last song with his very last breath. Love it. In my history of Rock N Roll class, my professor talked about James Brown's stage show = he would be near collapse from putting on a great show, with his entourage coming out putting his cape around him and helping the poor guy off the stage only to have him flip off the cape and sing one more song. He wasn't called the hardest working man in show business for nothing. I've always been impressed by concert Clay and the way he could entertain. I miss that. Seeing him live was my favorite part about all of this. I miss that.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

I'll just say this. I think you had to be there. It wasn't drama, he sang every word from the heart, and at the time, we actually wondered if he'd written the lyrics. It was the words he spoke leading up to the song, the references to us being there if he wasn't, the talk about career change, and especially (for me) the line about the silence. Anyways, I have listened to it a few times, but I am not sure I'll watch it. Still too raw. As for the clack from previous events being released, haven't downloaded any yet but I'm glad. I hate when things are floating around back channels for some but not for all. If we have it, share it, is my motto. All that said, I'm not in the "he's leaving entertainment" camp, but if he did, I'd be ok. Sad but ok, I have many other interests to keep me busy. I'd miss him though, but wish him well in whatever he does in life.

The skating competition is great, but very different being in the USA rather than Canada. The US men were so great last night, I was very impressed. So nice to see depth in US men for the future. My Daisuke didn't have a great night, but Tatsuki Machida sure did! I think he could be the future of Japanese skating (along with Yuzuru Hanyu). I am also very interested to keep my eye on young Han Yan of China. Now if only Canada had some up and comers.......I am 95% sure that Patrick Chan will retire after Olympics.

We walked along the river front yesterday and had dinner at a very exclusive seafood restaurant. They had rules like "no tennis shoes" and "no cell phones" which we broke, but were still allowed in. I had the most amazing soup and sushi. Sadly, the Starbucks there was closed. I'm going to have withdrawal soon LOL. Looking forward to another full day of skating!

For me it isn't about sharing Clack it is about respect. From day one the fans have been all about Clay gaining respect..respect from his peers, respect from the industry, respect for his talent..but what about respect from the fans? Ever since the blog and through the Gala and Jerry's remarks it has been all about how the fans have felt disrespected by Clay for not telling them everything about his plans or saying anything at all..the Gala comes along and they make changes and the fans feel they have been taken for granted..I have seen posts saying fans felt tricked into going, there was a bait and switch..the how dare they not give us what we want after what we have done for the Project posts. The anger and nasty things being said about Jerry and NIP after his comments. One fan even said that the Project needs to "suck up to the fans" if they want the fans continued support. Haven't they been doing that for the past 10 years? The clay-centric auction items..for the fans..Clay selling off his clothes and memorabilia..for the fans..the Clay dinners, etc. for the fans. Clay allowing clack in the early days for the fans. So now for the last couple of years Clay has decided that he wants the Gala's to be more private and special for the fans who pay a lot of money to attend the Gala's and all the fans do is bitch and complain because it isn't fair and we are entitled to clack.

Yesterday when the clack surfaced; it was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back for me..especially because of the timing of the clack being posted; right after the brouhaha with Jerry and the NIP. It was obviously done to make a point about the Gala's and the entertainment and what the fans want and think they should get. To me it is disrespectful in the first place to take the clack when Clay has asked us not to; it was even more disrespectful to put it out there in a way that proved that the fans don't care what Clay thinks...if the fans want Clay to respect them then the fans need to respect him..it goes both ways.

All that said, I'm not in the "he's leaving entertainment" camp, but if he did, I'd be ok. Sad but ok, I have many other interests to keep me busy. I'd miss him though, but wish him well in whatever he does in life.

I'm glad you said this luckiest, for I was a bit worried about you. That's how I feel about all this as well.

Having said that, as per my usual, I can see both sides of the issue regarding that moment in time. I definitely believe that you really had to be there to experience it, as is true with almost any time Clay sings live and "something" happens. (Frankly, there's been quite a few of those moments...) But I also think the blog (and I refuse to call it "The Blog," as it is being referred to now -- to me that implies way more importance to it) had a lot to do with the feelings. The uncertainty of what is happening with him at the moment added to this just added to the heightened awareness of everything around him.

I did go back yesterday and look for how the Gala was advertised -- and it said "performance by Clay Aiken." Not concert. So in that sense, I think some were spoiled by the past two years and the expectations were there. It didn't happen, so there was deflation.

aikim, I agree with you that respect goes both ways. But in some ways I think that gives the message boards way too much credit for their influence of Clay. I also feel that I need to respect the people who are whining...but not commenting on them at all. Maybe it makes me weak, but I also feel like it stoops to their level; it also causes my blood pressure to rise, and that's not a good thing either.

As far as the timing of the clack -- first of all, I'm upset that none of us here seems to be part of the underground circle. I was hoping that at least couchie as an admin would have some clout! Anyway...I do think the timing is a bit suspect, but I really don't want to ascribe anything. I also believe that what's done is done, and there's clack out there now, so I'm going to enjoy it.

Speaking of which...

Um...

I hear there's more out there. Visuals this time. From a few days ago.

Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Well I guess I have been told..in a nice way..to zip my lips..so that is the last word you will hear from me on the subject. I own my feelings..always have..always will..sorry if anyone was offended by my comments.

No one is telling you to zip it. I've never marched in step with anyone and no one is asking you to do it either. I don't mind hearing any perspective. I think with me although I have lived through many a clay nation break down this one is different for me because I'm not living it. I'm not currently a member of the fan club so didn't see any comments there about the blog. And I don't read any other board so can't match the dots like you have Aikem. Oh I can imagine alright as all I have to do is go back to why this board was created in the first place - the "dreaded" covers album and also when Clay came out to know the levels of nastiness that happens. And of course my all time favorite of let's take down Fran even if we have to destroy the foundation to do it nightmare. I also remember being out of town when Ethel got booed and Clay asked if they didn't like black people. This speaks to what Lucky is saying. When I was reading about it I had a completely different reaction than when I actually got home and watched the video. I haven't watched any gala video so don't know if all of this was captured. Even then video is different from being there although it's better than just reading about it. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if making the underground video suddenly available to all is more than a happy coincidence. I just don't know who had it, who released it or why at this time or even the apparently hot temperature of the fandom right now. I just have way too much on my plate to deal with any of it right now.

Ya'll may or may not know but the place where I live is being turned into affordable housing by the new owners. I've lived here since 2002. I just got my notice the other day to "come in and chat." I already know I do not qualify to live here ast he cut off for income is 44k for both me and my mom. So it's a foregone conclusion when I go have my meeting tomorrow I will be told I have 2 months to get out. I knew it was coming but am still not prepared for it.

• Like 1

aikim, if your post is directed at me, I'm sorry you feel this way. You are right to own your feelings! And I do believe much of what you wrote made a lot of sense! But this board, while we do tend to be fairly "in sync" with our fandom, was also built on being able to state what we believe in a "nice way." I too own my feelings, and right now, I'm so very tired of the "back and forth" I read elsewhere. That's why I tend to step back at those points -- it saves my sanity.

I would really like to give this fandom a big old hug right at the moment -- knowing that some would never accept it from me. I'm too much of a "rose colored glasses" person to suit some!

Couchie, that sucks. I'm sorry you will probably have to move. I'm in between sessions at the rink right now. I am only reading here, and appreciate the relative calm. I just spent a half hour in my car, resting my eyes, and put the iPod on for a distraction. What should come on but the AIW ep. Omg that voice. So so glad those songs got recorded! Just made me feel so peaceful.

Thank you Couchie and Ldy; losing one's home is a lot more important than the petty goings on in the fandom. I realize that if people do not go to there boards they really aren't aware of what is going on..let's just say it ain't pretty. I am a rose-colored glasses person too and it has gotten me in a lot of trouble. I also realize that I am very opinionated and my opinions don't mesh with the majority of the fandom..so for the most part I always feel like I am on the outside looking in and sometimes I am glad that door is shut.

I guess reading around I do not feel what alot of the fans feel as far as the last song being goodbye. I was there and the beauty of his voice was so great and I was emmotional when he was singing but because I thought it as a thank you to us. The fans pictures above him was going, even though I was looking more at him then those. I also am not a negative person so I am in the wait and see car. I am thinking positive because that is just me. I so not want to lose that voice but it is not my life and wish him well. I have to say my friend did not see it as a goodbye but was so angry he only sang one song that she turned to me and told me he hates his fans because he did not deliver what was promised. I tried to reason with her and did say he never said how many songs he was going to sing, we just expected them.(It did not help that the only Gala I was at was in 2011 when he sang many). I told her I rather have one beautiful song then three I have heard many times. We finally agreed to disagree and leave it at that. I had such a good time with the people I met(It was a great girls weekend). It is the only time that I am not with my hubby, we do everything else together.

Aikim, I am another rose colored glasses person. Although on Saturday, I did get a little freaked out by what a very sweet fan told me on the way out of the theater. I must have misunderstood, but the group I was with talked me off the ledge. The next morning seeing Faye and Diane Bubel so happy and almost giddy I knew that I probably had misunderstood what the friend told me. Since Faye mentioned All is Well, I'm taking that as an omen.

I honestly feel that the majority of fans are not worried in the least and these fans are not posting on message boards. When the posts become the same thing over and over, by the same people, things can get so distorted that it feels line everyone is tearing their hair out.

All of my close Clay friends do not for one minute feel any angst but then all have other things going on in their lives. Clay is a nice addition not the be all and end all!

• Like 1

I agree merrieeee. Most of the fans I know are not wringing their hands and worrying about Clay's career change. Actually to the contrary, we are interested in seeing what it will be. At noon today I went to the gym for a fast workout. The gym leases the facility to a church for services on Sunday morning. The music on the sound system was Christian music. It made me wonderif Clay would switch to that genre of music to test the waters for acceptance of LBGT folks. I know there are already some gay singers but his name is far more famous or perhaps notorius than others.

I'm sure whatever he plans to do , he is excited to get going on it.

Great pix by Cloopy!

Saw this so had to post:

On Sunday I will be attending a memorial celebration for Muskifest's husband. He was a wonderful man and dad and he really went before his time. It's really a shocking thing to me that you can be walking around fine one week and 3 months later be gone from this earth. It's tragic and just a reminder not to spend any time on anything that doesn't make you happy. One of the things I treasure most about this ride we have all been on is the friendships. Some of them survive even when the thing that brought you together isn't the reason you remain friends.

OMG. So sorry to hear of the passing of Muski's husband! What happened that he went so quickly??? Cancer? :(

I'm not quite sure what "car" I'm in right now. I was in the "Sad that Clay won't be touring and recording in the foreseeable future but sure that he'll be continuing on in the entertainment field" car. Spoke to Luckiest1 before the show and she and I were pretty much in the same place and weren't in the "he's quitting" car...not my a long-shot.

I guess reading all of the angst got to me because during that last song at the gala, I was trying so hard to hold back the tears and my reaction that night as I sat beside Allclaylong was overwhelming sadness. She whispered, "What the HELL?" and I felt the same. It FELT like a good-bye of some sort.

Since then after talking to others, who are still in the "it's gonna be okay" car, I've felt better. I've gotten back to feeling a "good-bye to touring and recording Clay" (at least for now) but trying to put on my rose-coloured glasses and back to hoping for Broadway or something great for Clay.

:hangin:

Can Fly, Yes cancer. He died waiting for a transplant. It was a beautiful day today and the celebration of his life was beautiful as well.

I'm in the really curious car myself. He always seems to come up with interesting things to do. There are a thousand channels. I still wish he'd show up on something once a week.

Ok so is anyone else her addicted to candy crush?

I really enjoy candy crush but I will not buy anything! I've reached level 135 without spending a dime and I'm going to see how far I can get. Did you know that the folks who made the game make over $600,000 a day from people buying more lives and boosts?

I've spent maybe 4 or 5 dollars. Once because I could see I was one move away from getting off a level so I spent the 99 cent for 5 more chances. And at first I didn't like to bug any of my friends for lives so whenever I needed to unlock a new area I just went ahead and paid the 99 cent. Not anymore. Now I will spam my friends all day to get those 3 helpers to move on LOL. I also play separate games on my phone and my computer. I'm on level 113 on my computer and 86 on my phone. Yes I'm hooked. But I don't mind staying on a level forever so I won't give them another dime.

I too am sorry to hear about muski's husband's passing away. I feel terrible for her and her two daughters!

I WILL NOT play any of those Facebook games! My life is sucked up enough with Clay message boards! Hee.

Off to work...another busy week. Plus, unfortunately, I have homework due on Friday and I haven't even started on it!

:GM_FCA:

16 Days until Clay is on Law and Order! :yahoo:

Back to work after being on vacation for a week..hope I don't walk into too much of a mess. Loved being home..wish I could afford to retire!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim