#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

luckiest, good luck with your "detox." My sweet tooth has been acting up lately, so I probably could stand to do that. The hardest part is all the extra added sugar in things you don't even think about -- spaghetti sauce and the like, just for example!

RE: Clay's crowd phobia. I think he still may have it somewhat -- but it depends on his audience.

I always try to put myself into someone else's shoes when I think about this. In Clay's case, I go back to 2003-4, and I think about him facing rooms with practically the polar opposite of himself. He probably would have been fine with a crowd of gay young men; instead, he was faced with women his mother's age who wanted to ravish him (you can take that anyway you want to...). Knowing that he wasn't out at the time, and also knowing that he already had a perfectly good mother in Faye, I have to believe M&G's in those early years had to be difficult.

I'd also probably add that as much as he likes singing and performing, he may not have felt it his true "calling." So having people fawn over him for that may have made him uncomfortable. But his service "calling?" When I see him with these smaller crowds who want to hear what he has to say (and better yet, him listen to them), I think the last thing on his mind is a panic attack.

Something else I was thinking about earlier. Again, probably not a popular opinion, but I'll post it here because you all won't throw stones. (You may not agree, but you won't throw things...) I've always thought that Clay felt more comfortable being a "big fish in a small pond." He felt pretty comfortable being a local Raleigh "celebrity." AI changed that, and he had to deal with many more pressures. Now, I think many of the perks he got from being on the national stage he liked -- flying first class, buying great clothes, being able to speak on topics he felt passionate about. But there was a lot that he didn't like either.

I kinda see this new political turn as "the best of both worlds." If he wins, he's remaining true to his local roots, by representing his home district (including lots of trips home on a regular basis). But he would also have some of the perks of being in Washington as well.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I think Clay's got some appearances today, so be watching that Instagram feed! (I'm off work today, but have a school project to complete -- an observation. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up!)

ETA: Hope everyone in Los Angeles is OK from the earthquake!!!!!

• Like 1

Clay and Team tweets

@ClayForNC: We wanted to invite you to our official campaign open house tomorrow, March 18, at 5:30pm at our office! #ClayForNC

@ClayForNC: Our address is 300 Parkthrough Drive, Cary, NC. See you tomorrow at 5:30pm? #ClayForN

ldyj, exactly about the added sugars. I did a tally the first two days of my normal eating habits (which are fairly healthy I think) and I ended up with 88 grams of added sugar! Of course, 47 of those were the Starbucks....

I agree, he does seem to be in his element now and much more at ease. Definitely not a popular opinion, because I wish it was the other way around. Still, it is what it is. We have to be ourselves, and do what makes us happy, and that includes Clay. I still hold out hope that he will "sing for all of us" soon, as he apparently told a mod he would.

I won't be going to Clay's open house as I'll be doing taxes until at least 4 or 5. And it'll take about 2 hours to get there. A friend and I will be going to one of his meetings when I don't have a commitment., which might be after 4/15. But have camera will travel.

We have had crazy weather here today. Between snow, rain and sleet with the temp staying at 32. Was supposed to go to Tai Chi tonight but concerned about the roads freezing up tonight. I'll work on my taxes instead.

From CV

twitter https://twitter.com/Cayli11

CAYLI HANEY ‏@Cayli11 3m

They clapped when he walked in.

https://twitter.com/taylorshelton6

Taylor Shelton ‏@taylorshelton6 2m

omg clay Aiken I see him I see him

CAYLI HANEY ‏@Cayli11 2m

Well clay Aiken is here.

I'm out all day today with a work meeting. If any pictures come about, I'll have to post them later this afternoon (after work) or this evening (after getting our taxes done. Yuck.)

It was terribly icey last night and temps were below freezing this morning. Should thaw out today. Lots of pictures in our local paper of overturned cars. A tractor trailer fell off the highway and burned. Good idea to delay the open house.

Woo hoo!

@ClayForNC: Our latest primary poll shows Clay 20 points ahead of 2nd place Toni Morris. Help us keep the momentum going: https://t.co/4jPPs4w0KJ

@ClayForNC: The primary poll places Clay 22 points ahead of third place Keith Crisco. Give today! https://t.co/4jPPs4w0KJ #ncpol #nc02

@ClayForNC: Clay is winning, he has the momentum, but he needs you http://t.co/7a9ufU4R6x #standwithclay #nc02 #clayfornc

From Clay

@clayaiken: I am excited by our poll numbers, but I need your help to get our message out and keep our support growing https://t.co/xq9blxCu0Y #nc02

Email from Gene Conti.

Friends,

I am excited to share results of our campaign’s first primary poll. Clay is 20 points ahead of Toni Morris from Fayetteville and 22 points ahead of third-place candidate Keith Crisco.

Clay is in first because of your support and because the voters of the 2nd District are rallying behind his message of breaking partisan gridlock in Washington and working to find solutions.

Of course, our opponents are going to keep working hard. One of them is already running television ads. They recognize that when voters hear from Clay, they respond positively. Will you contribute $5, or more, today to help us get our message out?

We believe that, as people learn more about Clay’s story and his vision, our campaign will pick up even more momentum. Clay understands what people are going through today. He and his family worked hard for everything they have. Clay learned the value of hard work from watching his Mom work the night shift at Sears. As a camp counselor at the Y and then as an educator in a special-needs classroom, he learned what people could do when they have a little help. And, wherever he went in life, he never forgot his North Carolina values.

Most important, Clay has shown a willingness to work across party lines to find solutions. He really listens, a quality that has disappeared in Washington today.

We are going to continue to get our message out, but we need your help. Will you give $5 so Clay’s story can be told?

We need your help to keep Clay’s support growing. Our opponents are going to keep pushing ahead given the latest poll results. We are happy to be where we are, but we have a lot of work to do.

Thank you,

Gene Conti

Senior Advisor, Clay for North Carolina

Paid for by Clay Aiken for North Carolina

Clay for North Carolina

PO Box 3809

Cary NC 27519-3809 United States

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.