# 67: Everywhere He Goes, The People Love Him!

ldyjocelyn

From Artquest on CV

Liz Imbrie ‏@ElizabethImbrie 1m1 minute ago

.@realityblurred YES! That's the .@clayaiken I'd hang with: sharp, honest and real .@ESQTV #TheRunnerUp

IMDbMelanie ‏@IMDbMelanie 21s21 seconds ago

#TheRunnerUp looks fascinating. Doc is produced by SimonChinn (Searching for Sugar Man) & JonathanChinn ("30 Days") #TCA15

Kellie Freeze ‏@ChannelGuideKF 1m1 minute ago

Esquire's #TCA15 panel for #TheRunnerUp makes me love @clayaiken for his mind as much as for his voice. Series follows his bid for Congress

Andy Dehnart @realityblurred

Clay Aiken is super-unfiltered. Clip shows him in underwear; joking he'll "shit in [a vote's'] yard"; crying about same-sex marriage. #TCA15

TV Guide has a bunch of live tweets up. The latest is this:

TV Guide Magazine @TVGuideMagazine · 2m 2 minutes ago

"I like to think that all races are winnable," Aiken says, but notes gerrymandered districts make it nearly impossible. #TCA15 #TheRunnerUp

Earlier:

TV Guide Magazine @TVGuideMagazine · 4m 4 minutes ago

"In retrospect, you wonder, was it possible? It's a difficult district" Aiken says of his Congressional campaign. #TCA15 #TheRunnerUp

and this:

TV Guide Magazine @TVGuideMagazine · 4m 4 minutes ago

"There were moments where I thought we had it in the bag," says Clay Aiken. But realizes now he lived in a bubble. #TCA15 #TheRunnerUp

and this:

TV Guide Magazine @TVGuideMagazine · 9m 9 minutes ago

Clay Aiken, the subject of Esquire's doc #TheRunnerUp, says there werent plans to keep shooting if he won his congressional election. #tca15

Jarett Wieselman ‏@JarettSays 3m3 minutes ago

Like #TheChair, which looked like a hellish experience for the subjects but was incredible TV, I'm sold on Clay Aiken's #TheRunnerUp #TCA14

Ed Martin@PlanetEd 3m3 minutes ago

In a surprising turn of events, Clay Aiken's @ESQTV reality series #TheRunnerUp is coming off as must-see TV in its #TCA15 session.

The session is over. It was hard to keep up.

IMDbMelanie ‏@IMDbMelanie 3m3 minutes ago

JonathanChinn says the ClayAiken who sang on #Idol quickly vanished & what he saw was ClayAiken the viable candidate. #TCA15

Diane Gordon ‏@thesurfreport 7m7 minutes ago

The Chinns had to check Aiken out as much as Aiken had to vet them. Chinns knew within a half hour that they wanted to do the show. #TCA15

https://storify.com/thesurfreport/esquire-network-the-runner-up-at-tca15

Here are the pictures! He looks yummy....and I'm glad it sounds like the event was a success for Clay.

Tomorrow I'm working as a solo librarian at one of our branch libraries. I will do work...but I will also post the full text of the articles in the news thread!

461593194_zpsbf960e4f.jpg

461593114_zps707da5c9.jpg

461593096_zpsb57e84f3.jpg

461593100_zps22faf2d6.jpg

Wowee - great title they picked, and looks like folks are raving!! Thanks for bringing all that over guys.

Bwah ha ha:

"I’m less concerned about his opinion than you might think I would be,” “American Idol” alum says of “Real Time” host.

I think this is going to be VERY good, and can't wait. This is my kind of show/book/movie, so having Clay be part of it is icing on the cake.

The clack will probably show up first, but I've discovered that the Esquire Network is on Hulu Plus, which I subscribe. So, I'll make sure to watch it a few times that way!

I'm glad too that several issues were addressed. I like getting the context of the exchange about his running on gay issues. It's pretty much just as I imagined it, really -- as Clay said in the Esquire article, "he's too gay for some people, and not gay enough for others." It makes me sad to think that some want him to be so flamboyant about his sexuality, when he really just wants to be HIM.

I hope that some who think he's "too gay" will watch this series and realize that he's just a guy, you know?

A promo tweet from Esquire

@ESQTV: Follow @ClayAiken's 2014 bid for Congress in our new documentary series, #TheRunnerup, premiering April 15. #TCA15 http://t.co/GoEFiI944h

What I am liking is the serious attitude of all involved. This is to them no piece of fluff!

I am looking forward to this series also. Having seen Clay on the campaign trail a few times, I can attest to his legitimacy. I also made some calls for him and heard the pull back from some of his constituents. I would love to hear what Clay meant by only ugly people follow politics. It's something I have followed since childhood. I have feeling that he meant ugly in personality rather than in appearance. It is a little curious to me.

Whatever he meant I'm sure it will result in some discussions both with fans and the media.

I didn't take his comments like that Fear. I think he said "politics is entertainment for ugly people". Meaning you don't have to be good looking to get into politics, whereas most actors are good looking. As usual, it was probably meant to be self-deprecating.

I didn't take his comments like that Fear. I think he said "politics is entertainment for ugly people". Meaning you don't have to be good looking to get into politics, whereas most actors are good looking. As usual, it was probably meant to be self-deprecating.

This appears to be a revised quote from a journalist named Paul Begala--"Politics is show business for ugly people." The phrase has been around since the 90's in various forms, such as "Washington, D.C., is Hollywood for ugly people."

Here's a link to a column discussing origins.