# 68: The Absurdly Charming Clay Aiken

ldyjocelyn

I personally loved the scenes with Patmore and Carson myself....

Watching the concert again on my big screen TV via Apple TV. (Don't know why I didn't think of this last night....) I don't do "tears" when I hear Clay sing, but the big ole grin that I had last night is right back! It's nice that the glitches from last night aren't in the recording posted.

My favorites are BBML and I Can't Make You Me!

Here is the set list, with a few additional notes:

• At This Moment
  • Get Here -- originally by Oletta Adams, famous in AI circles as Justin Guarini’s audition song. Clay sang this live at the 2008 Golfing for Inclusion event
  • I Don’t Have the Heart -- originally by James Ingram. Clay sang this live at the 2009 Golfing for Inclusion event
  • Love Look What You’ve Done to Me -- written by David Foster and Boz Skaggs (made famous by Skaggs in the mid 1970’s). It’s on Ruben Studdard’s latest album, “Unconditional Love.”
  • Proud of Your Boy
  • I Can’t Make You Love Me
  • Mandy
  • Bring Back My Love
  • The Way
  • Something About Us
  • Sarah -- from the Broadway show “The Civil War.” Clay sang this live for President Bush in 2008.
  • Someone Else’s Star
  • Somewhere (A Place for Us) -- from the show “West Side Story”
  • Unchained Melody

Side note: I got Ruben's album for Christmas, and it's very good. He does a cover of "My Love" (Paul McCartney's tune) that is really excellent.

He certainly is! And I personally loved that he was dressed in a Minnesota hoodie (as my husband graduated from there) and jeans. He looked comfortable, and just yummy.

He mentioned being on a plane all day. I wonder if 1) he was taking Parker back to California; and 2) that was the reason the concert was moved to an hour later.

bwah!!

Well... now I know why the ratings are down

Oh good Lord... those boring ass responses from the judges!? Where is Simon when you need him!? That guy need a hook to pull him off stage.

It's VERY clear now that @SimonCowell was the reason @AmericanIdol was a hit. I've watched root canals more entertaining than these judges

Leave it to the contestants from #Raleigh NC to totally make tonight's show worth watching!!

Now that #Raleigh has shown out and these judges have put me to sleep! I'm changing over to watch my girl @tyrabanks on @black_ishabc

When your favorite team that you've cheered for for years happens to play a shitty game, you're absolutely allowed to be upset about it.

We're all more critical of the things we care about most.

When you really love something you only want the best for it, and you have high expectations from those you know are capable of it.

“I think Twitter is the Devil.” -- Clay Aiken, a few years ago.

Wonder how he feels about it now?

Here’s my $0.02, if anyone is interested.

First of all, as with almost everything in my life, I tend to not focus on the negative, and don’t like criticisms very much. Therefore, his tweets made me feel they were unnecessary. I’m a “if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything” kind of gal.

Having said that, there are times when I do love it when people speak with passion -- good or bad. This is probably one of those times, as I found much of the show boring as well.

And Clay has never, EVER, shied away from speaking his mind. Back in the early days of the CH, it was called “balls of steel.” IMO, it’s the reason his first album was called “Measure of a Man,” for example (remembering the battle between him and Clive). Another example I distinctly remember what when he said Los Angeles was full of “rotting souls.” While that didn’t get the attention in the media that his tweets last night did, it did make many in the fandom more than a little upset. My point is that he’s not going to stop speaking his mind now. It might not have been particularly prudent, but -- if the timeline that Cincy posted is right -- I’m guessing Clay’s time with Idol is finished, and he feels he can say what he wants without much repercussion from Idol. And if there are lumps for him to take, he’ll accept them. I take that as my cue to accept them as well. LOL!

I also tend to think that these things get attention from the media because people, still to this day, think of Clay as a meek guy. They haven’t followed him like we have, so they don’t know how much he’s changed and grown over the years, as we all have. Talk about an image shift!

Wonder what Simon Cowell had to think about Clay’s tweets last night?

Finally, I can only imagine how outspoken Clay would be if he HAD won the election. I’m beginning to think that Congress might have had a feisty one on their hands!

Not having seen the timeline you mention, ldyj, do some people think the mentoring he mentioned in his web concert has already been done? Not that I feel dramatically about it either away, just curious? Must be Major Speculating afoot. Not that Clay fans would ever speculate.

If the question just happened to be "has Clay blown his opportunity to appear on Idol?" just as a wild guess, mind you, Idol LOVES controversy but someone there is hypersensitive so who the heck knows? All the coverage of this could mean that Clay = Idol still for a whole lot of people. Kanye who, exactly, merrieeee. Surprise. Stealing the show, our Clay.

I agree with you that he's going to say it, whatever, always has, well I'll take that back, he did a pretty good job of keeping it under wraps while a contestant, but not since. Some people love it, some hate it, but that's Clay. What was that quote from camtheman, something about letting Clay off his leash? lol.

jmh, here is the timeline I read. It's from mjsbigblog, it was posted at CV:

For three weeks beginning Wednesday, Feb. 10 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), and Thursday, Feb. 11 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), fan-favorite IDOLS will return to mentor and sing with the Top 24. The semi-finalists will be narrowed down by the judges, Wednesday, Feb. 24 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), leading to the announcement of the Top 10 onThursday, Feb. 25 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live /PT tape-delayed), and their first performances.

Notice that the last date says that the Eastern time zone is live, but none of the rest of them are. Therefore, I think the shows in the beginning of February are probably already taped. I'm about the only one speculating about that though...almost everywhere else I'm reading is speculating about Clay's career and if it's over or not, because of these tweets.