# 68: The Absurdly Charming Clay Aiken

ldyjocelyn

Shoot, I almost finished a reply and then backspaced. Short version, thanks for the explaining. Sounds to me more and more like a way of drumming up some PR for the Idol appearance, in Feb. Makes sense. Regarding the big question of is his career over because of ... , how many times now has that been considered? Hee!! It's possible this is just the beginning of attention paid to Clay between now and then--as to later in the season, those things are so fluid. Idol will do whatever they think will work to get PR. The outlets who reported this first are respected "entertainment news" outlets or more (Vanity Fair). And perhaps he has something else in the works to gain attention as well. I'm still enjoying that concert from Monday.

ETA: I went to find it so I could "save" it, and it was buried by the so-called news articles linked on his FB page about his tweets last night, and almost all of them used really hot photos. I had no idea!! There are dozens!

Shoot, I almost finished a reply and then backspaced. Short version, thanks for the explaining. Sounds to me more and more like a way of drumming up some PR for the Idol appearance, in Feb. Makes sense.

Honestly, I'm not sure Clay did this purposefully -- he just seems to be outspoken every once in a while because, well, it's what he believes. BUT...I'm sure that AI probably isn't crying in their beer over his comments per se. (I did read one article yesterday that supposedly had a reply on FB from one of the producers, but the post had been removed by the time I got to it...) I think it will be interesting to see if the ratings from last night's episode are up from the previous nights. For the record, the ratings for Wednesday were the lowest for a premiere of AI ever, and it still won the ratings night.

Regarding the big question of is his career over because of ... , how many times now has that been considered? Hee!!

Oh yeah. I mentioned one in my previous post, but there's been so many others. And yet, here we are, 14 years later, and many are still talking about him at least.

I'm still enjoying that concert from Monday.

So am I!

ETA: I went to find it so I could "save" it, and it was buried by the so-called news articles linked on his FB page about his tweets last night, and almost all of them used really hot photos. I had no idea!! There are dozens!

My Google news alert, which I get once a day, usually has maybe one or two articles. Yesterday's was FILLED. I only put three or four articles into our news section here at FCA, just because if I did try to get them all, I'd still be doing it today!

I love that Clay watched again last night and tweeted.

Thirty-six hours later. Sensational headlines-Clay's tweets got lots of attention which got lots of attention for Idol. Their viewership for the first nite wasn't great wonder if it was better last nite? Kelly tweeted the first night, and I wondered if other idol alums did too. If his mentoring part is already taped, then it would just come down to the live broadcasts, maybe he wasn't or won't be asked to appear. But he definitely is an adult, and responsible for his own actions, so be your own bad self, Clay. Maybe weeks of good behavior around Parker led to built up snark!

Have endless screen caps from the promo and concert. I'll try to behave!

Clay started something. This recap from the LA TImes is full of criticisms of the judge's behavior: 'American Idol' recap: Is Clay Aiken right about the judges?

Clay Aiken had a point. The former "American Idol" contestant (second place, Season 2) and onetime congressional nominee (Democrat, North Carolina) caused a bit of a foofaraw this week when he tweeted his dissatisfaction with the show's current panel of judges.

"Well ... now I know why the ratings are down," Aiken wrote in response to the show's final season premiere on Wednesday, calling Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr. "boring"; and chiding them for failing to react more emphatically to an untalented aspiring contestant.

"It's VERY clear now that @SimonCowell was the reason @AmericanIdol was a hit," Aiken opined in a series of tweets. "I've watched root canals more entertaining than these judges."

Although I cannot, in all honesty, say I miss Cowell's brand of self-satisfied nasty, Aiken's irritation with "Idol's" current judging panel is not unjustified. On Thursday night's episode, the judges consistently spoke over or physically interrupted the auditions of some of the season's more promising contestants, preventing us from being able to hear and respond to them ourselves. Lopez's steady flow of commentary prompted one talented performer to express concern that he had completely flubbed his audition. But Connick is clearly the worst offender, employing the broadest array of disruptive tools: leaving in the middle of one audition ("Keep singing," he told the confused contestant) and in the beginning of another, only to reappear behind the singer and frighten him with a bear hug at a key lyrical moment.

What's more, in one instance, Connick expressed a willingness to put through to Hollywood a contestant who was a complete train wreck: She insulted Urban, repeatedly forgot her lyrics and came across as woefully adrift. Thank goodness for Urban, who seemed as aghast as the rest of us at Connick's shockingly low standards. "You so don't seem ready for this at all," Urban told the contestant, Californian Sarah Hayes, 26, of Middletown. "Emotionally, physically, mentally, everything was just unstable."

So much for all that talk about setting a higher bar than ever for the show's farewell season.

For example:

Lopez talked all the way through Harmon's performance of "Unaware" by Allen Stone, which seemed to unsettle Harmon, but then she reassured him that she'd only been expressing surprise that he was an R&B, rather than a country, singer and that she was "blown away."

Health wise, I'm great. Mentally, I'm busy as the dickens. Mr. Fear getting Dr. appointments to get ready for surgery. Since he can't drive, I'm taking him. Pick up granddaughter everyday at 2 and getting ready to train volunteers for tax group at library.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

I just got home and skimmed the episode. I loved his appearances...thought the Idol trivia thing was actually kind of funny! And he looked adorable!

ETA: Some good tweets about him being on the show this evening.

Rodney Ho ‏@ajcrodneyho 17m17 minutes ago Atlanta, GA

Halfway through, @clayaiken has been the highlight of tonight's #AmericanIdol snooze-worthy audition episode out of Philly.

Rodney Ho blogs for the Atlanta newspaper, and has talked about Clay more than a few times (not always complimentarily).

NC Theatre ‏@nctheatre 1m1 minute ago

If you're not at #Ragtime we hope you're watching our friend @clayaiken and our #NCTGrease"Danny Zuko" @JohnArthurG on @AmericanIdol!

YES TV ‏@yestvcanada 1h1 hour ago

"Don't be as nervous as I was. Have fun with this!" #IdolAudition wisdom from @clayaiken #idolonyes

The last tweet used a picture from Clay's web page.

A sighting! I'm reading at CV that he was getting his eyelashes tinted at the place where this person is.

J Guadalupe ‏@Jumbahjackski 33m33 minutes agoManhattan, NY

LMFAO CLAY AIKEN IS AT MY JOB RN IM GEEKING I USED TO HATE HIM SO MUCH

J Guadalupe ‏@Jumbahjackski 15m15 minutes agoManhattan, NY

He was so nice!!! I was wrong about Clay

• Like 1

I'll have to check out that book series. Sounds like it might be good.

Yes, I'm patiently waiting for Clay's next book. I think he's a marvelous storyteller and probably has some good ones up his sleeve.

Just got home a few minutes ago from seeing the Beatles tribute band, American English. Pretty darn good -- in many instances sounded just like the real deal. It was fun to go and sing along to those songs with a crowd.

It's my husband's birthday weekend, and tomorrow we're going to see the New York Metropolitan Opera! OK, so it's on the movie screen, not live, but still, should be interesting!