# 68: The Absurdly Charming Clay Aiken

ldyjocelyn

I'm pretty sure @jimsciutto just called ‪#‎Trump‬ "chump" on ‪#‎CNN‬ I agree. https://t.co/J49jnPX4jI

safe_image.php?d=AQD0_j3O_orTWB8U&w=158&
“I'm pretty sure @jimsciutto just called #Trump "chump" on #CNN I agree. https://t.co/J49jnPX4jI
TWITTER.COM|BY CLAY AIKEN

Exciting day here in Flint, MI with our visit from Pres. Obama!!  We didn't attend any of the official functions, but did manage to get caught up in some of the traffic!!  I don't care if the Pres. is Democrat or Republican...it's just so exciting to have one come and visit!!  If only it wasn't because of the lead in the water.....   I wish he could have seen Flint in it's heyday, we were really something, back before the auto industry moved out.

• Like 2

Hey rohdy! Glad you had some excitement in your neck of the woods, even if it might have been for not necessarily a nice reason.  

It's also good to see you back here as well!

I was actually just getting ready for bed last night when I got Clay's tweet, so I was able to watch live.  First of all, he looked smashing.  But, more importantly, I love that he's getting respect at CNN.  I know people have problems with CNN and their reporting (I have in the past, and still do from time to time), but they still really are the most impartial of the big cable news organizations, and I think it's great that he's getting calls from them to appear.

Remember when he used to be their "Trump" expert?  He's now more of a "Bernie" expert -- or even better, a "Democrat" expert.  LOVE.

I'm also impressed that they are putting him on in primetime hours.  Especially when I see tweets like this come through:

I was pleased to see Don Lemon was genuinely interested and enlightened by Clay's words--as I said in my last post, he adds new insights to these tough questions that people all day long are trying to answer.

As for CNN, If anything, Clay is helping them raise their game, IMO. I think CNN has been going down hill since Aaron Brown was fired (although I did have a few issues with him re: what looked to me like sexism).  Have not been a fan of Anderson Cooper, but I do admire Don Lemon and Wolf Blitzer.  Was glad to see John King back as well, talking election analysis. 

It's interesting jmh, as I am a total fan of Anderson Cooper, but have had problems with Wolf Blitzer.  (IMO, he's been the lead anchor more than a few times when they are covering live events, and have gotten things wrong.  The Supreme Court Ruling on same-sex marriage, I believe, was a major one...)  

I mentioned to merrieeee this morning -- I'm hoping that Clay is part of the press junket for CNN at both the Democratic and Republican conventions.  Wouldn't that be just the coolest thing?  If nothing else, I think he'd be over the moon.

Remember in 2012, when he was on Face the Nation?  That really was his first "serious" chance to show his stuff in these kinds of things, and I think he surprised a bunch of people that day.  When you add to this that he was also doing Apprentice (and blowing people's minds in THAT), and I think that started the trajectory.  The key, IMO, was when he made the plunge to run for Congress.  While the general public may not have noticed (or cared), many in the press did.  And his work now of building the resume keeps it going.  

Imagine what the sizzle reel would look like right now....

Oddly enough, just this morning I was hoping Clay would get press credentials to go to the conventions, if only because he would enjoy it so much! And he would add to the coverage, that I'm sure of.

Don't even want to think of Trump as the Republican  nominee.

Following the replies on Twitter to this, while I'm at the reference desk.  I thought the people who thought he wasn't qualified to be on CNN were a bit rough...those Fox people are NASTY.  And IMO, rather uninformed.  (Apologies to anyone here who actually watches Fox on a regular basis!)

But again...Clay goes into the belly of the beast.  He's got balls, that's for sure.