# 70: "If there was a flag and I had to design it, it would have Clay Aiken on it."

22 minutes ago, MFforCA said:

I haven't watched Bold yet, but appreciate the comments, RIFAN.  As to Clay looking scruffy - I don't think so.  We've seen him scruffy, and this wasn't anywhere near close - I thought he looked very good.

I agree!! Loved the look!! To quote a saying from my middle school granddaughters, he was "on point". 

They say that when someone looks really good. 

Finally finished watching Bold Blend from yesterday.  The best segment, by far, was the Bookstr segment.  I had actually read several reviews of this book (as a librarian, I read a LOT of book reviews), and will be requesting it from a library to read.  RIFAN, I too read mostly non-fiction, so this book sounds fascinating!

Clay, while disheveled, looked really good to me.  And again, he impressed me with his smarts.  I love him.

I have a hunch that there may be a Periscope this evening....

Loved it!!  Could really hear his voice--piano was softer.  It was just so tender.  I love how he sings the word "love"!!

Have played it a "few" times.  Just realized that he has quite a few saved on Periscope--goes back 8 months!!!

ETA--Almost 800 viewers live--that doesn't even count those of us who didn't get there in time and did the replay.  

• Like 1

The Periscope was lovely.  To be totally honest here, his live singing is better than a couple of his Diamond recordings.  I know he has taken those very seriously, but the live singing was just so simple and beautiful. 

The pics from Bold are great also.  He looked so good, and Carrie's comment is great to read.

Watching the American idol 2 tour special on my old decade old computer. Now i understood why the fan segments were hated. There's just so much that could have been done. They could have showed clay's BAF founding in Raleigh, the behind the scenes of clay's TITN music video, more of rube's visit to b'ham and a few other idol related stuff. The fan segments (I sorta liked them at first as a teen cause i thought they were cute) sorta actually dragged it down a bit. In fact there is a lot of Clay stuff that could have been shown instead of the fan segments. 

And also rewatching it also made me miss rickey a lot.

ETA: that scene with the teen claymate and ruben  fan fighting should have been left on the cutting room floor, unnecessary as heck to include that scene. Very unnecessary, it contributed nothing but to cause mess.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, soulsista4clay said:

Watching the American idol 2 tour special on my old decade old computer. Now i understood why the fan segments were hated. There's just so much that could have been done. They could have showed clay's BAF founding in Raleigh, the behind the scenes of clay's TITN music video, more of rube's visit to b'ham and a few other idol related stuff. The fan segments (I sorta liked them at first as a teen cause i thought they were cute) sorta actually dragged it down a bit. In fact there is a lot of Clay stuff that could have been shown instead of the fan segments. 

And also rewatching it also made me miss rickey a lot.

ETA: that scene with the teen claymate and ruben  fan fighting should have been left on the cutting room floor, unnecessary as heck to include that scene. Very unnecessary, it contributed nothing but to cause mess.

Hey, long time no see!! I'd just about forgotten that tour special. I remember it being soooo exciting at the time, just because. I do agree with you about the fighting scene--I remember it well and totally hated it. Your comments are very smart--too bad you aren't working for them. I feel like the show tried so hard to manufacture drama - and so much of that was just totally distasteful. Like the people they gave tons of attention to based on nothing but their bad behavior during the auditions. There have been a few very memorable bad auditions, but many, many forgettable ones. I always thought one of the reasons for those choices for what to focus on was that Simon Cowell was such a cynic about people. It would never occur to him what kinds of things people might have enjoyed watching much more than the crappy stuff. For me, that first season, my first, Clay's, the show was like Glee before there was a Glee.

• Like 1

Cute pics from Bold.  Clay sure enjoys seeing B-way shows - wish they'd invite him to be IN them!!!!

I agree about AI manufacturing drama.  At the time, no one knew how manufactured it all was, so it seemed new and interesting.  The bad auditions and Simon's cutting comments were so different that they drew people in to see the real talent.  And those talented people weren't on their second or third chances in the music business - they were real unknowns.  That didn't last long on AI - it became about professionals with lots of orchestration and sets and lighting plus increasingly famous judges who were on there to plug their own tours and projects.  The contestants weren't important anymore, and no one cared who won - very much like The Voice now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jmh123 said:

Hey, long time no see!! I'd just about forgotten that tour special. I remember it being soooo exciting at the time, just because. I do agree with you about the fighting scene--I remember it well and totally hated it. Your comments are very smart--too bad you aren't working for them. I feel like the show tried so hard to manufacture drama - and so much of that was just totally distasteful. Like the people they gave tons of attention to based on nothing but their bad behavior during the auditions. There have been a few very memorable bad auditions, but many, many forgettable ones. I always thought one of the reasons for those choices for what to focus on was that Simon Cowell was such a cynic about people. It would never occur to him what kinds of things people might have enjoyed watching much more than the crappy stuff. For me, that first season, my first, Clay's, the show was like Glee before there was a Glee.

This so much! And yeah i sorta wish i was a editor of the special i could have done a better job with editing clips (since there were a lot a missplaced footage and scattared footage) and you are right about idol manufacturing drama a lot.

8 hours ago, MFforCA said:

Cute pics from Bold.  Clay sure enjoys seeing B-way shows - wish they'd invite him to be IN them!!!!

I agree about AI manufacturing drama.  At the time, no one knew how manufactured it all was, so it seemed new and interesting.  The bad auditions and Simon's cutting comments were so different that they drew people in to see the real talent.  And those talented people weren't on their second or third chances in the music business - they were real unknowns.  That didn't last long on AI - it became about professionals with lots of orchestration and sets and lighting plus increasingly famous judges who were on there to plug their own tours and projects.  The contestants weren't important anymore, and no one cared who won - very much like The Voice now. 

That's pretty much the truth about idol especially in later seasons where people who had a recording career or contracts were auditioning left and right and even making it to the top 10. I think that when i knew the magic was gone.

I actually rewatched part of the tour special about a year or so ago, but it was pretty much all of the Clay parts.  They ended up being so iconic in the fandom -- "lift me up, on the stage" and beating up a Coke machine!  Honestly, I'd forgotten much of the rest of it, which probably isn't a bad thing.

For our newer members (or those coming back after a long time), don't forget about our "Members Only" section (here's the link).  There's some new stuff posted from the weekend.  And again a reminder:  most of this board is NOT private, but that section is!

I'm on vacation!  And tomorrow, my husband and I leave for Nashville, TN!  Neither of us have been there before, and we're such music nuts, we're both really excited.  We'll be gone until next Sunday.  Y'all be good, OK?!?!?!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldyjocelyn said:

I actually rewatched part of the tour special about a year or so ago, but it was pretty much all of the Clay parts.  They ended up being so iconic in the fandom -- "lift me up, on the stage" and beating up a Coke machine!  Honestly, I'd forgotten much of the rest of it, which probably isn't a bad thing.

For our newer members (or those coming back after a long time), don't forget about our "Members Only" section (here's the link).  There's some new stuff posted from the weekend.  And again a reminder:  most of this board is NOT private, but that section is!

I'm on vacation!  And tomorrow, my husband and I leave for Nashville, TN!  Neither of us have been there before, and we're such music nuts, we're both really excited.  We'll be gone until next Sunday.  Y'all be good, OK?!?!?!?

That's actually the parts that I sorta have a positive opinion on mostly due to how iconic and well know they are. Infact many of the clay segments were my favorite parts of the show.  

:) Have a nice vacation! 

Sorry for posting to much! I'm just need some people to talk too. :(