# 70: "If there was a flag and I had to design it, it would have Clay Aiken on it."

I'm surprised anyone is surprised about Clay's statements as far as Trump's acting role in the show. I did think he decided whom to fire at least some of the time. I thought I read an article somewhere about producers running around editing film to try to justify some of Trump's decisions in the boardroom. Who knows? My point is, it doesn't really matter to me who decided. It's a reality show, it's manipulated to create drama, it's obviously edited a lot, and it's always been obvious that Trump himself had little to do with it. And it's a piss poor imitation of how business actually works--how could it be otherwise? How anyone could get the idea from that show that Trump is a great businessman I can't imagine.

ETA: Found it, or something like it. Not the NY Times or anything for sure: http://cinemontage.org/2016/10/editing-trump-reality-tv-star-who-would-be-president/

A grand editorial struggle on the show was to make the star’s decisions about which contestant was fired each episode look legitimate. The editors reported that when the boardroom was shot, the producers would offer their observations about who did well in the challenges and deserved to stay, and who was not pulling his or her weight and deserved to go. But invariably, Trump would ignore factual information and instead go with his gut.

“Trump would often make arbitrary decisions which had nothing to do with people’s merit,” confirmed another Season One editor who requested anonymity. “He’d make decisions based on whom he liked or disliked personally, whether it be for looks or lifestyle, or he’d keep someone that ‘would make good TV’ [according to Trump].”

Setting up story beats to justify the contestant that Trump ultimately fired required editorial gymnastics, according to the show’s editors. Manipulating footage to invent a story point that did not exist organically is common in reality TV editing, although with The Apprentice, it proved a tremendous feat.

“We’d often be shocked at whomever Trump chose to fire,” Braun explained. “Our first priority on every episode like that was to reverse-engineer the show to make it look like his judgment had some basis in reality. Sometimes it would be very hard to do, because the person he chose did nothing. We had to figure out how to edit the show to make it work, to show the people he chose to fire as looking bad — even if they had done a great job.”

This article is about people who worked on the 2004 to 2007 seasons so it doesn't necessarily reflect how the firing worked on Clay's season.

Hey gang -- busy day today, just as busy tomorrow!  But I did want to let you know that this story "blew up" in the past 24 hours; I may or may not put them all in the news section in the next few days.  I may end up just listing all the different places and letting it go.

Politicon is using this to it's advantage!

• Like 1

I'm really behind! I hope to get caught up later tonight.  My husband is playing in the pit band forva local production of "Bye Bye Birdie," and so I have evenings free for the next week.  I'll go see the production Sunday.

From Billboard, article about entertainers going into politics

9. Clay Aiken. A musician, politician, activist, actor, author, and television personality - Clay Aiken can seemingly do anything life throws at him. At only 38, the American Idol star is still exploring his career options. In 2014, he ran for Congress in North Carolina's 2nd congressional district and went as far as winning the Democratic Primary. 

Did he win? No, he was not an idol of choice for the voters. 
Where is he now? Performing and discussing his political opinions on TV.

• Like 1

Welcome home merrieeee!  It sounds like you had a fabulous trip!

I got to watch Clay's part of Bold Blend yesterday.  It was fun watching him answer questions and such, while what was probably his Mom's backyard!

So Clay is supposed to be back in NYC by Friday for Bold. He said he would be back on Wake Up With Taylor in July. Only two Tuesdays left. Politicon is the last weekend of the month. The man shall be busy!

Yuku sites are down for their transition to taptalk boards.

Hey, just to let y'all know that I didn't change the look of the board today. For whatever reason some changes have appeared. Settings have not changed. I'm mainly annoyed about the lack of a margin on the left before text appears. There are some other changes  as well, minor. Given the new "like" button and emoties that appear when you hover over the new heart, I'm guessing that Invision has made changes to the default template. I'll look into it one of these days soon.

• Confused 1

jmh, I should probably let you know when I do a board update!  I did one last night, so that must be where the changes you've described are coming from.  It did also ask if I wanted to have initials as a profile picture instead of the default, if a user doesn't upload their own picture.

Just to let everyone know as well -- Photobucket changed their terms recently, and third party "linking" (meaning pictures directly input on the board via Photobucket) is no longer allowed, unless you pay some exorbitant sum to Photobucket.  Therefore, pictures uploaded via Photobucket in our history is now pretty much kaput.  I'm sad, although I do think not everyone used Photobucket, some actually did upload their pictures directly to the board.

NOTICE -- Last call for donations toward the FCA Gala ad!  Right now we've got enough for the half-page black and white ad, with a nice side donation to the Project.  I'll contact the Project on Friday to start the work on this, so if you're interested in donating, please contact me via PM NOW!