Gas Prices

Clayniac

Darn, I meant to drop the mower off for sharpening. You would appreciate my mower, I inherited it from my parents, it uses muscle power. I like it becaue all I have to do is get the blades sharpened and oil it once a year, unlike my power mower that I had to prep each year - new filters, take it apart, change the oil, new spark plug, etc. And I used to wear hard toe shoes so I don't cut any random toes off. Now I can wear sandals and build my leg muscles pushing up hill and then down and up hill again....... I admit it takes 3 days to mow my lawn, I can only do so much at a time, it is not that big, but it is tiring.

Gas this morning was $1.293 per litre. At 3.78 litres per gallon, that's about $4.88/gallon. OMFG. It's costing me $60 to fill the tank on my Cavalier. So much for driving anywhere this summer.

It's around $1.50/$1.60 per litre my end of the world. That's over $5.00 per gallon. It's affecting the cost of everything else, especially food.

The cost went up 34 cents this week alone.

Interesting how GWB went to the Oil countries to ask for lower prices, but not to the multinational companies to ask them to take smaller profits in this year of Again greatest profits ever.

You know, it really is outrageous that a solution to the oil issue was not addressed several decades ago. There are several inexpensive alternatives and all it takes is a long term commitment by the government and everyone else concerned with the transport industry. I've been debating this for a long time and have heard every excuse possible. None of it makes sense.

The same goes for other forms of cleaner energy. Solar energy makes perfect sense, it's clean, it's free. It will never run out. If we are smart enough to get to the moon, we are surely smart enough as a species to find a solution for a problem that is never going to go away without proactive intervention.

What bugs me is that after the shortages and price rises in the 70s, we have to go through this again. There were regulations about building more fuel efficient cars and so on, and for awhile the highway speed limits were reduced. Then came the SUV craze and it seems like everyone has to have a gigantic car. And I have yet to hear much of anything about that as an issue this go-round. Or highway speeds. I try to stay at 65 in the slow lane going to my Mom's, and you'd think I was a little old lady Sunday driver or something.

It's strange that over here people just watch gas prices rise and fall and do the best they can.

Where I used to live, at least before we went under Martial Law, people/business/unions/even schools would react. A lot of times things still couldn't change much, sometimes things could be done, but the process was right.