12/04/05 NYC Beacon Theater

Couch Tomato

Halftime report from CV:

Socks -red and grey stripes

Much laughter between Clay, Quiana and Angela in Celebrate Me Home.

Interviewing a couple of male fans sitting near the cellcerter: They liked William Joseph and will buy his CD .... they were there yesterday too .... they are American Idol fanatics .... son liked the duet with Beverley ... and they were Clay fans from "Day 1"

OMG, they are now talking to the Sound Guy for the show:

talking to the sound man ......... very difficult to do .... every venue is different .... mics pick up the ambience of the room esp. with arenas which are not accoustically good ...... all the personal mics are difficult to manage because every sound get's picked up .... more of a rehearsal that sound checks!!!

says LAST NIGHT was better ... says performance and crowd was better[sound man said Clay himself is very easy to do the sound for

Edited by bottlecap

Audience members gave flowers to WJ, and the cellcerter can see someone holding roses. They better have some for Clay so he doesn't whine again!

Discussing logistics for the Early Show appearance - audience coordinator from CBS told them Clay may (not for sure) come outside on the Plaza to collect for Toys for Tots

Attendance looks to be a little lower than the Friday show

Edited by bottlecap

Further clarification on the Early Show appearance: Performance and interview, but it doesn't sound like they are letting fans inside for either.

More screams and a standing ovations for Hark / O Come Ye.

And yet more screaming after Emmanuel. This audience is really letting Clay know they appreciate him. I <3 NY!

Edited by bottlecap

I KNOW! They better be photo-shopping and posting their little fingers to the bones after this week-end. Pfffft - who needs jobs? We need Clack!

Anyway, MDYK (with random lyric generator, although I never notice it), and Quiana's solo now.

Intro banter now - not coming through too clear, but I'm afraid to turn up my sound any louder because of the screaming.

"I forgot what I was going to say. But that's okay because I forgot the words to 3 songs." BWAH!

"More flair from the dancers tonight" - much screaming from the audience.

Yikes - my eardrums! Flowers for Gregory, and a nice intro.

Someone on CB posted Clay got a STANDING OVULATION.... :lol:

Screams and drumbeats for Quiana and Angela. "Very nice" You go girls!

DSIAFCD now.

Edited by bottlecap

"O Baby that's a fact", followed by wild screams, yet again.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH" and the screams continue.

Riffing at the end, and guess what, more incredible screaming, on and on and on.

Whooaa, I think that raised my heart rate a few notches, and I wasn't even there.

Seguing into Good News.

It may be the stream, but the final "News" was almost inaudible - very quiet.

Edited by bottlecap

Solo gushing over The First Noel.

Lots of flair from all the players.

Everybody got flowers including Clay... he gave some to Patricia..but not in a "shiipping" type way.

Clay said he was taking 3 months off after the tour LOL... OR he can go back into the studio and work on the album.

Andy Abad's baby was in the audience...and I assume the mom.

Post-game discussion:

Clay seemed to have problems with the giggles in the first half.

Intros - Cellcerter was able to give him flowers: "Got his flowers!!! He sort of stepped back and then When he saw they were giving flowers to everyone he came and got his ... and had Patricia hold the flowers. "

Cellcerter talking to Jerome, asking if Clay could talk on her phone. He very nicely told her he couldn't do that. She's very bold! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

My stream is cutting in and out, but in chat, someone mentioned a possible giggle in "Good News". I thought maybe I heard that, but wasn't sure.

Much eyebrow waggling at Q and A during the show.

Flowers given to Gregory, Allison, Quiana, Angela, and then Clay was finally willing to take some himself.

Edited by bottlecap

Cellcerter sat next to Andy's wife and baby - "The Newest Claymate", who fell asleep at intermission.

Quiana hugged Clay at some point during the banter or DSIAFCD - not clear when.

Switched over to a some limo certers on their way home from the concert. A little wine is being consumed, apparently. Hee. A reporter from Raleigh was there.

One of the venue people in the lobby was explaining that the video clackdown was due to some union thing - not on Clay's part. Yeah, I'm sure they can enforce that. Teamsters versus Scarlett and jojoct? I'm betting on the ClayNation in that fight!

Early Show - Clay may come out to the Plaza to sign autographsand collect toys, not for sure though. Hope he wears a coat this time, not like Today Show with Kelly. Look for Lucia from Brazil and her sign.

"Baby, that's a Fact" - killed someone in the first row. Lucky corpse - what a way to go.

I can hear the limo driver in the background - sounds like a typical Nu Yawk accent.

Finally signing off now.

ETA: A wave to playbiller, who has been very good about adding her recaps when she gets home from the concert. I'll read it first thing in the morning - I promise!

Edited by bottlecap

OKay, OKay - I am home already and pretty sure I will not go to the early show because I can't see the point of standing outside in the cold when I can't find out where the bus is.

I will write up review and post - just a few quick notes - Quiana glowed and smiled all evening, she was stunning - I hope that means something good has happened for her. Clay sounded a little hoarse to me, but he hit the big notes spot on each time. His Noel seemed to reach lower than ever before, finishing the job of pulverizing my bones, everyone seemed pretty happy, Clay seemed very happy, but he obiviously does not know what day it is because he was talking about singing in Boston tomorrow.

ADDED

You know, it is hard to come up with new stuff after 3 nights in a row. For some reason, I have slept all day, don't know if it is the cold or I am jsut tired and depressed.

1. Everyone seemed very happy today, you cant say that enough.

2. In the first half, Clay's voice cracked on some easy notes, but he always got the money notes perfect.

3. People are reporting red and grey socks, but they were really red and tan, that was in white light of a song different from the usual sock identification song(TCS), where the socks are in shadow.

4. The venue - was pretty empty. I was in the loge, it was about 1/3 full. The flor was about 95% full, but people did move down there. The balcony was not to full and when I went up there to look at it, I got severe vertigo. Must remember that the veiw is lousy from the balcony and it would make me sick anyway. Sound was great and view was great from loge.

5. The crowd, once again, it was almost completely internet on the floor, there were a smattering of internet in the loge, along with more casual fans, including the girls who sat next to me and "MamaBetty" who sat in back of me and had come to see what this Clay Aiken stuff was about. She sends her love to the claymates after a few of us had told her that there was a Connie site set up by Clay fans - she seemed surprised and will be checking it out. The few in the balcony were your normal casual fan and just some people going out for the night. Back to the floor - I do have to say that the first few floors do lead credence to the stereotyping of the CLay fans. Seems like only older women are willing to pay borkers or wait until the last minute. I wonder how true this is of other fandoms?

6. It was different sitting so far back, where you could see all the action in one view. I think it gave more of the concept view and you could see the angels overseeing , while you see all the action. Actually, I could not separate parts and it was less Clay centric and more whole centric. Of course when Clay was singing and he was only lit, I would look through my binoculars and get my close up. The binocs were also good to look at other individual performances.

7. The second half repeated the incredible bad lighting of Clay for the Church section - it's a theater person, fix the lighting! I did spend much of his songs with closed eyes, but not because of Clay, but because the lighting made him look like skeletor for most songs. Of course the voice was there and stronger for the second half. It is probably just my opinion, but I really think that Clay has a cold and needs to push for some notes resulting in 'those' faces.

8. Intros and DSIAFCD - What a good mood Clay was in, others were happy, but Quiana was just plain giddy for some reason. I hope the cameras caught some of her faces because she was just over the top in reacting to everything, with this following all her smiling at Clay during the angel parts, you really had to wonder what went on.

oops - listening to storm warnings eeek As I said, pretty much everyone was in a playful mode. When Clay first came out, people offered Clay flowers and he turned and walked away. After people were getting all theirs, he accepted just some of the flowers offered (there were easily 1/2 dozen, maybe more) and let Patricia hold them. As Clay was singing, all the dancers were huging each other like they this was the last show.

9. Goodnews - well, the first part of the good news was I was in the first row loge, so I could see the whole show without security in front of me. The otehr good thing is taht the scheduled interupting flash occured before Clay entered the stage, I believe that Quiana was the target - so no moans, etc, just the audience members pointing out the offender. I could calmly watch this song and see the whole thing without moving my eyes. It was nice with Angela and Quiana standing in front of the gold statues. Brightened their spots. In truth though I really don't like this song at all. Yes it is a great presnetation and everyone sings with conviction, soul, heart and great voice. Still find the song a snoozer. I tend to drift off after a while. But it is obviously Clay's favorite, so whatever.

People really piled out of that show pretty fast and people were talking about it on the Subway, on the bus to NJ, and I am sure other places. My congatulations to those with shows to enjoy yet.

Edited by playbiller