Prime Time Television

Ansamcw

Couchie, I think I still recall watching the original "V" back in the 80's and didn't care for it then.

All I remember is only watching because I had a crush on Marc Singer....or something like that. But the whole lizard thang just creeped me out :cryingwlaughter:

I have FIOS TV and phone and internet (very nice!) and was offered free HBO for three months.

They are hoping I will forget to cancel it, but I cannot afford it.

HBO is just like I remembered from the olden days when I had money - same damned movies over and over and over. Blechhhh.

But - I absolutely adore True Blood.

I love the story lines, I love the actors, I love the intro, and the opening theme song is even more perfectly killer than the Soprano's song or the song at the end of Cold Case.

Sniff.

Gonna miss that show, hopefully the full seasons are not too expensive.

I am not going to check TwoP for other opinions about True Blood, because I am just too besotted to care!

nobody watched V? I thought it was pretty good. I think they're rushing the story a bit.

I also watched the 8 hour marathon on Sy Fy of the original miniseries.

I watched the original V but it didn't stick with me. I guess the premise of a Arena-type situation where no compromise is possible doesn't fit well with today's thinking. We're in a global society, everyone talks and works witheveryone. It's the only way for the humanity to progress.

I watched the original V a few weeks ago when they ran a marathon. The new one is much, much better.

My favorite new show is Good Wife.

I think it's mine too since Castle really started last season.

I'm so surprised...I had no idea where they would go with it and I didn't know if I would like Julianne since I didn't like her character in ER. But damn if it hasn't kept me intrigued week after week. I like that it's a family drama, courtroom drama, corporate intrigue. Hell even the kids are interesting.

A close second is 3 Rivers. I did not like the first episode but gave it a second chance and it hasn't let me down.

Oh and I can't forget Modern Family. That show just cracks me up. Great casting and acting.

ok this isn't prime time but I have to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE George Lopez show. My mom and I watch it every night. His Tiger jokes cracks me up and I love the guests he brings on.

Clint Eastwood was on last night..and now I want to see Invictus. I didn't realize it was a CE movie. The clip they showed looked mighty powerful. Matt Damon is the bomb. I think he's one of my favorite actors.

But - I absolutely adore True Blood.

I love the story lines, I love the actors, I love the intro, and the opening theme song is even more perfectly killer than the Soprano's song or the song at the end of Cold Case.

Sniff.

Gonna miss that show, hopefully the full seasons are not too expensive.

I am not going to check TwoP for other opinions about True Blood, because I am just too besotted to care!

I love it too. I watched most of it on torrents. You are right about the song. I look forward to the new season!

What, no Glee love here? I know we have a few fans. I just finished watching the entire season tonight. OK so I'm a late bloomer but better late than never right? I cracked up at the cellcert on the final episode. I look forward to the next season.

I watched Glee opening night but didn't like it so didn't watch it again. I have a feeling it was one I should have given another chance. I'll give it a another shot at some point. My nephew and neice love it... although from my experience watching the first show..it's too grown up for them.

I'm now watching True Blood - we have it on our netflix list..so far we have just watched the first two episodes. We liked it..or let's just say were sufficiently intrigued to keep going. I like the theme song.. The theme song was something I loved about The Wire too. They had the same song every season but sung by a different artist.

I'm also on the third season of Queer as Folk. I have the complete disks for that show. enjoying that as well.

I tried to watch The Shield after I finished up the Wire.....my brother claims it's better but it was too soon LOL.. I watched the first disk and kept comparing everything to The Wire. So of course it fell short. Maybe I'll try again in a few years.

Not a tv show..but last weekend A Walk to Remember came on TV. With that movie I'm crying through like the whole last hour LOL. I don't know why this teenaged meladrama does that to me.

Looking forward to lasat season of Lost.

I'm now watching True Blood - we have it on our netflix list..so far we have just watched the first two episodes. We liked it..or let's just say were sufficiently intrigued to keep going. I like the theme song.. The theme song was something I loved about The Wire too. They had the same song every season but sung by a different artist.

When I watched the first episode, during a free HBO weekend when True Blood first started, I felt the same way. It was interesting, but too many characters to keep track of, and since I have not read the books (don't intend to, either), the story line seemed busy or murky, and vampire Bill did not seem even all that attractive.

I still have not seen all the episodes, but I am on the last bit of a three-month trial of HBO, which I am going to cancel, too many repeats of movies, but I have seen enough to know who is who and now I love it.

And yeah, I think Bill is hot. I love how he seems to have the speech patterns and manners from the time when he was not a vampire; a bit old-fashioned or something. This is written by the Six Feet Under guy, I expect the characters will all be much more developed as the show goes along. And gets renewed.

A sort of shuffle in living arrangements has me living in a very very nice house with DirectTV. I miss my FIOS TV ALOT!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, this house has a high-def TV and a subscription to high def on DirectTV - at first, I watched just anything because it looks almost like 3D. And the detail is amazing, but sometimes the makeup and wrinkles and such are distracting.

Heee, my friend's daughter gets True Blood from Netflix. She is fourteen. She has been watching them and then sending them back without sharing with her mother. Her mother assumed it is just another Twilight or other teen-type series. Heh.

Oh wow, 14 seems a little young for True Blood. I love it too, and my daughter and I got the whole series of books for ourselves for Christmas (hee, don't you love those kind of Christmas shopping sprees?) Once I finish reading Stephen King's Under The Dome I will start on those. Oops, wrong thread. :cryingwlaughter:

I also got a 40 inch LCD TV which is still sitting here in a box. I am anxious to get it hooked up and going! I have a tiny little 22 inch TV and when we tried to watch the latest Harry Potter movie on it last night, it just wasn't up to snuff. It needs a big screen!

Well, the daughter is almost fifteen - she has a healthy curiosity and my friend dismissed True Blood as just another vampire teen thingy.

Dunno where they will go from here!

I haven't really clicked with any new primetime stuff - I think my version of "prime time" is all the channels except ABC, CBS, NBC.

It is oddly comforting to know that if I can't watch anything else interesting at 10 pm, I can always watch Jay Leno for a little bit.

I do like Community, but was disappointed when I realised John Oliver was only on the premier episode. And I miss Adam Rodriguez on CSI:Miami. How dare he set out to make another career for himself!

Full time Gleek here! I love so many of the characters, and I really liked how they pulled everything somewhat together at the end of the fall. Can't wait to see where it goes next.

I still watch Community as well, and John Olilver did show up for another episode or two this past fall.

FIOS is the Verizon fiber-optic network, I have TV, internet, phone.

I have had only one two-minute outage in two years.

It is faster because with fiber-optic, the bandwidth is so great that things do not need to be compressed to go into a cable and decompressed at your house, like cable does. I had DSL before, which is Verizon's "cable" - and FIOS is waaaaaaay better.

The internet speed is wonderful, but their techies were no help in getting it fine-tuned. A guy I worked with helped me with that, though.

Anyway, it is faster and more clear, and even something silly - FIOS has its channels in like groupings, DishTV has channels all over the f**king place and in no particular order, shopping networks mixed in with other stuff.

Right now, even changing channels is a PIA to this channel-surfer, because of the lag time.

Soon I am going to cancel the phone part and get a MagicJack.

Bill grows on ya. And he and Anna Pacquin are engaged, in real life, so he grew on her, too!

I just spent an hour reading through some of this list..TV guide's top shows of the decade. I haven't watched many of these shows. Of the top 30..

I quit watching Grey's 3 years ago, I thought it was THAT BAD. I watch TAR, House, 24, Six Feet Under... was so happy to see PTI included...the only daily show that I DVR --- I watch Survivor..the first few seasons of The West Wing, Lost, Survivor, the first few seasons of AI, The Sopranos, yay for Arrested Development, and the number one show..of all time IMO...heee THE WIRE.

If you watch any of these shows..there's good writing here on why they were chosen.

No. 30 -- "Grey's Anatomy" No. 29 -- "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" No. 28 -- "The Amazing Race" No. 27 -- "Weeds" No. 26 -- "House" No. 25 -- "The O.C." No. 24 -- "24" No. 23 -- "Dexter" No. 22 -- "The Simpsons" No. 21 -- "Undeclared" No. 20 -- "30 Rock" No. 19 -- "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" No. 18 -- "Gilmore Girls" No. 17 -- "Wonderfalls" No. 16 -- "Six Feet Under" No. 15 -- "The Office" No. 14 -- "Pardon the Interruption" No. 13 -- "Battlestar Galactica" No. 12 -- "Survivor" No. 11 -- "The West Wing" No. 10 -- "Freaks and Geeks" No. 9 -- "Lost" No. 8 -- "Friday Night Lights" No. 7 -- "American Idol" No. 6 -- "Deadwood" No. 5 -- "The Sopranos" No. 4 -- "Arrested Development" No. 3 -- "Mad Men" No. 2 -- "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"

and the number one show eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The wire

What he said:

I just completed a hastily assembled list of the Top 31 movies of the decade and "The Wire" towers over any one of them and, as a 60-hour series, probably towers over the totality of my list of 31 movies. I didn't do a list of my favorite books of the decade, but rest-assured that "The Wire" ranks above any novel I've read in the decade, especially as a piece of cumulative storytelling. So, keeping things neat and simple, I have no trouble saying that "The Wire" is the decade's defining creative endeavor.

WORD.... if you haven't watched The Wire...and you like gritty urban drama I urge you to give a try. Of the five seasons, only season 2 IMO was lesser -- but season 3 and 4 were like perfect entertainment.. and season 1 was fabulous. I got hooked totally in the first 2 episodes.

and I thought this was funny and so true.

"The Wire" cannot, under any circumstances, be watched casually, even if you've seen the episodes before. I find that the majority of the TV I watch can be zipped through why doing two or three other tasks. Like I can download images, cut and photoshop pictures and throw together a gallery while watching "Melrose Place." The aspects I miss in terms of plot complexity and character nuance are mitigated by the amount I gain in not wasting my full attention. In the rewatching of "The Wire" that I've done for this list, I found that even knowing the fate of every character on the screen, I could barely chew gum and watch at the same time, much less attempt to return emails. "The Wire" is a full world and if you don't commit to total immersion, you aren't making enough commitment. That's a lot for a TV show to ask.

This is from the same guy that wrote the book Homicide: A year on the killing streets -- basis for Homicide: LOTS..probably the best show of its decade.

Hmmmmm....watching The Wire must be like reading a John LeCarre spy story - miss one sentence, and you are totally flummoxed three chapters later.

I want to like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - I was born there - and the cast is stellar, but I guess I will have to start from the very beginning.

Thanks for all of those links!

I remember the Simpsons from when it was a bit on the Tracy Ullman show - it sure had legs.

Oh, and I did get MagicJack. It works perfectly. Amazing!

Ok I've turned into a tv junkie. I used to be a big couch potato, thus my screen name - and now it's suddenly back full force. So much good stuff. I have shows almost every damn night now.

24 -- good season. I never get tired of Jack and Chloe and the surrounding people. Although some of the senseless violence can get to me sometimes. I wish it would be "smarter."

Castle - This show just sparkles. It's my feel good show and not since Moonlighting have I loved a couple so much. And the dialogue is wonderful and the supporting characters are also wonderful. I love that they are fleshing them out even though they aren't the mains star.

The Good Wife - this show started out good but man it has hit its stride. It's so damn great. The cast is fantastic - the stories are good, but the best thing about it is the well written characters. For some reason this show made me see how bad Private Practice is. And it's a show I watch without fail because I love Kate Walsh. If someone else were on Private Practice I wouldn't give it the time of day. The writing on the Good Wife puts Shonda's juvenile writing style to SHAME.

Modern Family - Every show I bust a gut at least 5 times. I'm not laughing every 2 seconds but it's good smart comedy - yet also silly at times.

Suvivor - I messed up and read the spoilers for this season and I know the boot order and it totally made me not interested.

Private Practice -- So shocked she went there with Addie and Sam and more that I liked it - not so shocked that she can't write an adult relationship. Kate Walsh Kate Walsh Kate Walsh. My other favorite red head.

Southland -- Fantastic show. It's a victime of the stupid Leno at 10 thing. So happy they put it on TBS

Breaking Bad -- I watched a marathon on Saturday -- well 5 episodes -- and I'm hooked..now must go back and watch the first 2 seasons.

Speaking of TV on DVD

Big Love -- started watching that.. first two eppies were good. I know I watched it sometimes when I had HBO.

And now I have to get HBO because

1. True Blood -- hooked after watching season 1 on DVD... waiting for season 2 to come out on DVD and I will get HBO before season 3 starts

because

The writers of The WIRE (stop rolling your eyes people) have a new show on HBO starting next month about New Orleans musicians. If it's even 1/2 as good as the wire I must be there.

Speaking of The Wire... I'm so happy I have a job because the first thing I'm gonna buy when I'll caught up is the The Complete show of The Wire. Did I tell ya'll lately that it's my favorite show of all time?

In my spare time I watch hours and hours of NBA. Throw in the food network, Project Runway, Forensic Files and Snapped heee

Thankfully I can work while I watch most tv LOL.

Chief enabler here - Season 2 of True Blood is out now. ;-)

My local video rental store is going out of business - got some xbox 360 games for $7 each. Looked at the TV DVDs, 3 for $10! But everything is extremely picked over. Parts of the Riches were missing, and no True Blood.

Still love Big Bang Theory, Old Christine, 30 Rock. Office is finally growing on me, I preferred the BBC version for so long. Community, Modern Family, Middle - all really really good!

Chopped is good, I like International House Hunters, interesting to see real estate in other lands. Kinda lost interest in Project Runway, but I am sure I will be back watching Top Chef, right up until it pisses me off. As usual.

Love NCIS now, and CSI Miami - but have watched so much as syndicated shows that I have no sense of a story line.

Love Burn Notice. Am trying really hard to not get hooked on anything serious.

Still love Jimmy Kimmel.

In all the bizarre and unsettling house-moving I have been doing lately, I managed to score a 32" LG TV with Very High Picture Sharpness Numbers - as a techie, when I was asked for advice, I just pointed out the TV with the highest numbers, turns out to have been a good move.

Those numbers mean squat to me except the HD stuff is amazing - too amazing, really, for some shows, I did not want to see all the makeup and stuff. It is funny to see the quality of cosmetic coverage varies so much - network dramas - awesome, HGTV peeps - what were they thinking. Stuff like Blue Planet is fabulous. Some shows look like 3D.

The TV was purchased by someone else as an inducement for people to buy her house, to be installed over the fireplace; plans changed, and I managed to snag the TV. Yay! because my old picture tube thingy was missing the top 1/5 rows of lines.

And I have been fairly pleasant about all the moving.

HA! TV junkie-itis... It's a sickness y'all :cryingwlaughter: I have a way of hopping all over the place with what I like to watch. Mostly reality shows I'm sad to say ;)

Survivor, Project Runway, Top Chef, TAR, Big Brother (wheeen it's on), and Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares are my primary consumption.

I LOVE Big Bang Theory, NCIS, CSI (though I miss Grissom lots!!), The Mentalist annnd my favorite line-up of the

USA Network formulaic shows Psych, White Collar and Burn Notice :whistling-1:

Wrapping up my week usually consists of some enjoyable viewing of QAF reruns on the Logo channel, Top Gear and my other BBC fav Friday Night w/Jonathan Ross....lurve his Four Puffs and a Piano ensemble :hysterical:

There are only two shows at the moment that are "we have to watch, and we have to watch them in real time" for my husband and I: TAR and Lost. Lost has turned into "event" TV for me -- yes, I still don't understand 1/4 of what is going on in that show, but I love the mind-blowing aspect of it, and can't wait for each episode. TAR is just simply fun, for me.

When Glee starts back up, that's my other main show! And guess when it will be on? Directly opposite Lost! AAAARGH! Thank God for DVRs.

The other show that my husband and I have been addicted to lately is on late night -- Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. IMO, he's funny, he's not afraid to try something different, he likes puppets, and he's not nearly as mean spirited as many of the late night shows out there. He's a free-wheeler, and I like that. Anyway, taping those shows eats DVR space, so we pretty much have to get those caught up by the end of the weekend.

If nothing else is on, I watch either Food Network or TLC (What Not to Wear, especially).