Prime Time Television

Ansamcw

Not a big reality show fan. I don't think there is anything real about them!

I miss having my handy dandy TV Guide fall preview issue. I have no clue what new shows are coming on.

I do know that two of my favorite shows are premiering this week - "Bones" and "House". Cannot wait!

Anyone know where I can find a list of all the new shows and a synopsis???

I am a TV addict and I don't want to miss anything good!

CG, the actual print copy of the TV Guide Fall TV Season preview came out two weeks ago. Here's their online version.

I KNEW I had missed it!

Thanks for the link! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA:

Ok, I have my schedule of TV watching all written out - lest I forget. Looks like I'm going to be busy the next couple of weeks!

Edited by Claygasm

CG, I also love Bones. The acting is stellar and lot's of chemistry going on there.

Saw the preview of Dirty Sexy Money and it looked good. It was compared to Dynasty in the day. I loved Peter Krauss in Six Feet Under so that alone will cause me to watch.

I started watching The Closer in the middle of the season and really got hooked on the show. Kyra Segdwick is a wonderful actress in a complex multi-faceted role. Good show!

Of course, there is Dancing With the Stars, the grand dame of the just good fun shows. It starts again on Monday. I love it and hopefully there will be more women who have the potential to make it to the end!!

Now to figure out how to watch all of my favorites showing on the same night at the same time. Sometimes reruns are good things.

Of course when Lost comes back everything else will take a back seat.

Not a big reality show fan. I don't think there is anything real about them!

Never fear. Neither do I. I suppose that is why I wasn't the least bit surprised that Clay didn't win his season on AI even tho it appeared he had the strongest following throughout the show. The judges clearly were struggling with his marketability.

My kids and I had just finish watching PopStars and the original season of Making of the Band (OTown) when we started watching AI 1. In the previous two shows the judges had final say in who went on so we wondered what would happen if someone really awful got voted through on AI. All 3 of us just nodded our heads when we saw the original disclaimer that ran in the credits...

The producers reserve the right to ulitmately choose the American Idol.

No surprise there. On Making of the Band one of the guys quite several months in. Did they go back and choose one of the last guys cut? No they went back and pulled someone that didn't even make the top 10.

On PopStars (Jaymes WAS the mean judge! Hee.) 3 of the stronger girls bowed out of the top ten right before they were set to name the band. Did they pick from the final 7? No. Did they go back and offer the spots to the last 3 girls cut before the top ten? No. They started all over and had new tryouts and 2 of the girls that came in late actually made the final band.

---

On Survivor people seem amazed that the contestants don't seem to know the history of the show and tend to fall into traps that people who watch the show see a mile away. The fact is that many of the new contestants are people the show has recruited for that very reason. I'm guessing because it helps to keep the show fresh and more diverse. The winner of last years show, Earl for example.

---

I suppose I think that some of the scripted shows are far less real and actually somewhat harmful to certain professions. My sister is a Lab Tech and laughs at the shows like CSI. She said some of the tests results they manage to have in minutes actually take weeks and months to get back. And results are often far less conclusive.

One of the last episodic dramatic series I watched was Boston Public. At first I thought it was cool because I worked in a HS at the time. But in no time I was shaking my head at the fantasy. First off, yes some of those things do happen in schools. They just don't all happen on the same day. Or even the same week. Or even the same school year. They also had the power structure of the school all wrong. No matter that many people feel schools should be run like businesses they just aren't. The principal cannot just fire a teacher. Teachers can't go from being a lawyer at the end of one school year to being in the classroom at the start of the next.

Anywho...I also don't think I have the attention span anymore to get caught up in something that I can't miss. I tried to watch Lost. Really I did. But after about the 3rd episode...I was literally Lost. And it required too much effort on my to try to figure it out or stay caught up.

I guess I just don't like to have to use my work brain at home. Hee.

Edited by jamar1700

Oh I think Ruben won fair and square. Sure Clay may have been leading going in but it wasn't a cumulative vote, To me, it was perfectly conceivable that many of Kim's fans threw their support to Ruben. Also, I think there were probably many people like me who never voted until the finale. I voted for Clay (big surprise there!), but many other first time voters may have voted for Ruben. And then there was the crap shoot of calls getting through. I know many Clay fans say they couldn't get through at all, yet I had no problem

Ruben got the most votes that night. I don't believe anything was fixed. I don't believe the judges had any say in it. I don't even think they dodn't want Clay to win because they knew he was going to get a contract either way. I think all TPTB at AI and the judges wanted were great ratings. And that they got.

Oh I think Ruben won fair and square.

Heh. Guess I didn't explain that very well than cuz I don't necessarily think Ruben didn't win fair and square. Just that with a disclaimer like that and the other things I'd seen on reality shows it wouldn't surprise me. So that particular element wasn't part of it for me. Because I always saw AI as a reality television program first and a singing competition second.

FWIW I had no problem getting votes in that night either. I got in about 75, the previous weeks I had been able to get in around 150. Guess it's all water under the bridge now eh?

Edited by jamar1700

I'm going to watch the Ken Burns documentary tonight. I"m a history nut. Is Desperate Housewives new? I'll watch that too...

semi spoilerish.... heard there was going to be a gay couple moving to Wisteria lane. Back in summer of 06 I met this guy in Ft. Lauderdale..working at our hotel...that said he had tested for and gotten a part on Desperate housewives as 1/2 of a gay couple. I thought that he would be on last season. Can't wait to see if it's the same guy. I'll never forget what he looks like.

chat question? bwah. I think people are all over the place on the AI quesiton. No more schmoopie chat :cryingwlaughter:

Yeah! We need controversy!!!!!!

I think the season premier of Desperate Housewives is next wseek. I think tonight is a retrospective of last season?

It better be because I have missed it otherwise!

Count me among those who dialed her widdle fingers to the bone and never got one single vote in for Clay. If I'd been able to get a vote in, I'd probably feel differently about it now.

Other season premiers this week....Cold Case and Shark. I really love Cold Case, even if the blonde chick does look kind of cadaverish. And I love Shark in the same way I love Horatio on CSI Miami. Both ugly enough to make a train take a dirt road, yet sexy somehow.

Count me among those who dialed her widdle fingers to the bone and never got one single vote in for Clay. If I'd been able to get a vote in, I'd probably feel differently about it now.

Other season premiers this week....Cold Case and Shark. I really love Cold Case, even if the blonde chick does look kind of cadaverish. And I love Shark in the same way I love Horatio on CSI Miami. Both ugly enough to make a train take a dirt road, yet sexy somehow.

*furls eyebrows* But Bookwhore, the question is, Bookwhore, how much do you love H?

:cryingwlaughter:

This is for you

Ruben v. Clay? I think if they had the multiple lines like they do now, there is no question Clay would have won. I've always believed it couldn't be anything but a virtual tie with the limited amount of circuits and time. But I also believe that there were more people trying to vote for Clay.

I had never texted in my life before AI2, and I learned just for the purpose of voting for Clay. I didn't have an account where I could do a certain number of texts at that time, so I paid for every single vote. Since I texted my fingers off that night, I wasn't suprised to get a rather large bill from AT&T that month. But it was worth it. I felt that I had done everything I could, since I couldn't get any votes through by landline.

*furls eyebrows* But Bookwhore, the question is, Bookwhore, how much do you love H?

This is for you

:cryingwlaughter: Thanks for the link! How much do I love H? Well, let's see. On my list of "Guys I'd Do But Will Never Get the Chance" - Clay is 1st, George Brett is 2nd and Horatio is 3rd. Please note, I do not want to do David Caruso - I just wanna do Horatio.

This is for you

Ruben v. Clay? I think if they had the multiple lines like they do now, there is no question Clay would have won. I've always believed it couldn't be anything but a virtual tie with the limited amount of circuits and time. But I also believe that there were more people trying to vote for Clay.

You ave to remember, they only had season one to go by. They had no clue of the phone line meltdown that would occur and they did increase the number of lines the next year.

We have no way of knowing who would have won if they had had more lines in place. I remember reading complaints at the time from Ruben fans that they couldn't get any votes in and they were sure if they had, Ruben would have won by a big margin.

Those voting for Ruben and Clay both had the same chance to get votes in - and the same chance for a busy signal.

On to NEW shows. Watching Journeyman now. Its pretty good, but I am a tad confused.....

You ave to remember, they only had season one to go by. They had no clue of the phone line meltdown that would occur and they did increase the number of lines the next year.

We have no way of knowing who would have won if they had had more lines in place. I remember reading complaints at the time from Ruben fans that they couldn't get any votes in and they were sure if they had, Ruben would have won by a big margin.

Those voting for Ruben and Clay both had the same chance to get votes in - and the same chance for a busy signal.

I didn't say I knew it, I said I thought and believed it. What they did the next year isn't really relevant, as I was simply saying that given the situation in Clay's year, it could hardly have been anything but a virtual tie. If every available line was full of people trying to vote for one or the other for the maximum alloted time which it seems was the case. *shrug*

I'm really looking forward to Cane tonight. And I would be looking forward to Dirty Sexy Money if only they hadn't cast Donald Sutherland in it. I absolutely can't look at that man without shuddering. Ick. Can't explain either - just can. not. stand. him.

I enjoyed Journeyman. It's kind of nice not to have the entire story mapped out in the first episode. I am intrigued enough to watch some more and find out what Livia's story is, and how/why he can time travel.

I feel so shallow, or something, because Big Bang Theory really made me laugh last night. I guess I will be watching Big Bang, How I met Your Mother, and 2 1/2 Men, and switching over to other stuff during commercials. I think I like comedies the best, except I am really looking forward to House tonight.

I love CSI Miami, but watching Caruso gives me a crick in my neck.

Yeah I definitely believe in the technology issue being the problem and yes I believe it would have helped Clay. Can't prove it..but that's how I feel. Don't believe in any fixing of the vote or anythign nefarious happening. And I'm glad they fixed the problem by adding more lines. Evil chat questions - IF clay had won, what would have been different today.. heee.

I half watched journeyman last night and am glad I have it on my DVR to rewatch. I thought it had some nice twists..but couldnt' really figure out what was the point other than he doesn't know what'sw happening and that's the only mystery. I'm just a little shallow and need eye candy and don't know if his charisma/acting/sexy overcame the fact that I don't find him yummy.

Cane is tonight? I'm sure I"ll watch it because well it's Jimmy Smits. He always gets the benefit of any doubt.

Cindilu..you have a point about journeyman. I'll give it a few more shots. I do love what's his name from Homicide...the brother.

Yeah I definitely believe in the technology issue being the problem and yes I believe it would have helped Clay. Can't prove it..but that's how I feel. Don't believe in any fixing of the vote or anythign nefarious happening. And I'm glad they fixed the problem by adding more lines. Evil chat questions - IF clay had won, what would have been different today.. heee.

I half watched journeyman last night and am glad I have it on my DVR to rewatch. I thought it had some nice twists..but couldnt' really figure out what was the point other than he doesn't know what'sw happening and that's the only mystery. I'm just a little shallow and need eye candy and don't know if his charisma/acting/sexy overcame the fact that I don't find him yummy.

Cane is tonight? I'm sure I"ll watch it because well it's Jimmy Smits. He always gets the benefit of any doubt.

Couchie, I think the premise of Journeyman is going to be similar to Quantum Leap (one of my all-time favorite shows) in that he will go back in time to make things 'right' in the present. They sure didn't explain how/why last night (unless I missed something - admittedly I wasn't paying 100% attention). I just love the idea of time-travel, and am a sucker for these kinds of shows.

Jimmy Smits = humina humina (we need a drooling emotie). I SO wish we could've gotten a season or two of WW with him as the Pres. Damnit!

ETA: I don't think they fixed the vote either - but I do think they decided who the winner would be. My personal belief is that the whole voting dealio is a guideline for them (them being the producers) and that who wins/goes home is exactly who they want it to be, given what they have to work with. Not just in Clay's season. Hell, not even just AI, but all 'reality' shows where the public is given the vote. That's as far as my conspiracy theory reaches.

Edited by cindilu2

CG, tonight is Bones! Angela is looking for her missing husband.

I'll have to channel switch so I can also watch Dancing with the Stars.

Luckily I don't have that problem. Never got into Dancing with the Stars!

Bones was great and now I am watching House. LOVE House. Talk about humina humina!!!!!

Lots of pretty tonight between Hugh Laurie and Jimmy Smits!