Prime Time Television

Ansamcw

Well I just wawtched the encore presentation of Pushing Daisie which I thought was cute. Now they're showing an encore presentation of Moonlight, which I'm watching. Hmmm....both shows seem to have a sexy leading man. Not over the top hawt, sexy in an obvious way. The quiet, subtle sexy....like Clay. I think I can see why these shows are appealing.

I watched Cane (no subtle sexy there! Just pure raw hawt sexy) and there was a small Clay diss, but it probably went right over most people's heads, so I didn't get all shook up over it. I did notice that some people on other boards have decided to not watch the show for that reason. [insert rolling eyes emoticon].

I did notice that some people on other boards have decided to not watch the show for that reason. [insert rolling eyes emoticon].

The following is not a rant, just a quiet statement, insert another rolling eyes emoticon.....

Well, since I think making disses of ANYBODY about their perceived sexuality, particularly when the jeer is because evidently being gay is something to laugh about, I won't watch anything or anyone who does that. I won't share any of my personal life with people like that either. No big loss, no loss at all.

Not all up in arms, not posting any ringing denouncements, but I don't need ugly stuff in my life - not saying that "grandly", but matter-of-factly. Waste of my time.

The other night Henry Winkler took a jab at Clay, it was like a jolt of ice water or something, I was not expecting that at all - to me, just taking that shot at Clay indicates a shallow cheapness, and I find that I have been matter-of-factly simply cuttting out any performer or acquaintance that takes a cheap shot at Clay (or anyone else) regarding being gay. I don't see that people like that are all that different than Pez Pig, really, just degree of coarseness is different. Shrug and all that.

And if Clay took a shot like that at someone, that would be a burnt puppy - not a tragedy, I would just move on to something else.

Life's too short. I am not "making a stand" or "taking a stance", I just matter-of-factly and quietly arrange my life so as to not have ugly things in it as best I can. That includes entertainers, shows, acquaintances, and my sister's current husband. It is no more meaningful to me than not ordering food I don't care for at a restaurant.

And I see a clear difference between someone honestly thinking being gay is wrong, and people taking cheap shots at being gay for a laugh. The first situation is usually a result of family or spiritual upbringing and may someday be changed - but taking that cheap shot, to me, indicates a coarseness of spirit, and again, life's too short to have that ugliness in it!

I don't write letters, agonise on the net, or any of that kind of thing, I just don't bother watching, is all, just like when, at work, my new co-worker Googled Clay and announced loudly (brayed, really) that Clay was gay gay gay - based on a picture. And that she would never listen to a gay singer. So, a budding friendship just never happened, no big loss, I have come to a point in my life, I guess, where I just naturally weed out unpleasant crap when I can. I don't need to post about it, it just happens.

So, roll eyes and all that, I am just giving my perspective and reasoning. I wouldn't watch Cane anyway, because I love Boston Legal (and their stance about EVERYTHING) and it is not just apples and oranges, it is apples and coal. To me. But knowing that there might be crappy shots for a laugh? Won't waste my time, and I am grateful for the heads up warning!

I think I do roll my eyes at fans that would do that because it is Clay. I think there is no need to defend your stance djs, just like people that won't eat meat because they can't stand how the animals are slaughtered it is a personal stance. But I do know that there are fans out there that would hold a grudge on a performer because they dissed Clay but wouldn't have a problem if the diss was directed at others. To me that is a double standard and is not based on principle but on the fact that Clay has to be protected.

I didn't see the Cane diss or what Henry Winkler said. Is it the same thing? But I have had similar reactions towards people that showed outright discrimination against people just because they are gay. I don't care to have them as friends. But then there are different types of disses. If people made a joke about Clay because of the kind of songs he sings or if it is just because of the way he looks...would you make a distinction? Because that kind of "comedy" is all over the place. Even Clay used it in his banter towards Kelly Ripa for example. I have to admit I have enjoyed laughing at celebrities that I don;t really care for specially when its about characteristics or behavior that bugs me thats why at this point I have a hard time getting all indignant when it is turned towards Clay unless it is obviously homophobic.

Well I wasn't really meaning to 'stir the turd' or anything. Someone earlier in the thread had asked about the Cane diss, and since I saw it I thought I'd explain it a bit. I think it's fine if people don't want to watch the show. But I'm losing track of who I'm supposed to like and who I'm supposed to be boycotting due to a perceived slight to Clay. I've just decided personally not to dwell on the disses and watch what I want. I'm not trying to take a stand, I just want to be entertained. And since I think it's highly unlikely that we'll ever hear Clay's name mentioned on Cane again, I think it's safe.

Yikes! I have never ever posted anything to suggest that "we" like or dislike or boycott anyone or anything as a group. I read that a lot, and usually it is in response to some people saying they won't watch something. There is absolutely no "we" in any Clay fandom that I have seen. And anyone who knows me, knows that I could care less about the "we" part of the fandom - for better or for worse.

And, really, I just skip shows or people, I don't actively go around hating on them....I was just explaining why I roll my eyes right back! ;-). For me, once something has clicked my little Oh that's tacky meter, I have merely lost interest, I have other stuff to do or watch anyway, no big deal, I don't have a Nielsen box or anything that would actually make a difference. I guess it is more like once I am NOT entertained, or I am put off by something, it drops off my radar. I am not like a diabetic refusing life-saving medicine because I don't like the label, it is just TV.

For that matter, I once went without any TV at all for a year due to finances, and then when I was working in Japan a lot I watched very little TV except for silly Japanese stuff, so I think I am prolly less inclined to even turn the TV on in the first place, or plan an entire evening of shows, than other people. I am more likely to surf the net or read a murder mystery or continue my (never gonna get done unless I move to a one-room house at the foot of a hill with a river in front of it) quest to Feng Shui my entire house, is all!

No turds stirred (gotta say out of all the things Clay has ever ever said, that phrase is the only thing I think is yucky). And I was the person who asked about the diss, I was curious, is all. I wouldn't have watched Cane anyway, I love Boston Legal too much!

Ansa, about homophobia, I have thought about it, and feel I do make a distinction between people who for one reason or another (religion, upbringing, whatever) think homosexuality is wrong or is a chosen "lifestyle", and those who are just deliberately going for the cheap joke. I know that people would get up and walk out if a comedian told a joke about, say, Jews or black people, and find it offensive - that is the way I feel about gay jokes made just to get a laugh. And that does not include when I am sitting around with gay friends and THEY make jokes about themselves, if that makes any sense.

I saw Cane. Didn't even noice the "diss" until I read about it on the boards. So I watched the download.

Sorry, but to me you have to REALLY be looking hard to find a diss there. Really, really hard. It was not a biggie to me. If I - a huge Clay fan - watched the episode and was not aware of any diss, I can guarantee you that the average person watching wouldn't have noticed one either. If it was supposed to be a gay joke, it failed miserably. I never even thought the 70-something woman saying "she" instead of "he" when referring to Clay meant she thought he was gay, or a transvestite or anything. I just thought she had no clue who Clay Aiken was!!

Maybe it was only a diss to those who look for disses everywhere and every time Clay's name is mentioned.

Now, just what did Henry Winkler say and where?? Inquiring minds want to know.

The only two folks I have kinda cross off on some mythical list due to Clay is Conan OBrien and KGriffin. I was big fan of one and hardly knew anything of the other.

I guess I'm kinda hypocritical about doing so as I've never done it for others and love a bunch of comedians that sometimes cross the line or take their humor too far. I'm fairly positive that Clay isn't the only celeb that has had to deal with the issues he deals with but honestly it has never pinged anything with me before. I think even folks I love like Chris Rock and DL Hueghley.

Others like George Lopez, Simon Cowell, and a ton of others that I can't remember have made some sort of not clever slur. And well, I've yet to stop watching them or anything associated with them and probably won't. Well I don't watch idol but it has nothing to do with Clay. I do know that I would never read something on a Clay message board and get upset about it. Either I'll have to see it for myself so I can interpret it myself or I ignore it. I'm just not hypersensitive anymore although I probably used to be. I still haven't watched Cane, but will be when I get home. And I won't be giving it up because I love the show.

On the other side of the coin is Jimmy Kimmell. He may have given up using Clay as a whipping boy but his humour hasn't changed. I find him juvenile and not funny most of the time while I do appreciate his relationship with Clay he certainly gets no extra brownie points as I only watch him when Clay is on.

Lots of other things ruminating bu need to go play backgammon with my neice.

Like the hatred most feel for Idol yet those same continue to not only watch but follow all the idols lives so they can figure out if Clay is somehow getting shortchanged. I find that..well, odd.

So have we properly veered off the topic of 2007 tv shows? :cryingwlaughter:

So have we properly veered off the topic of 2007 tv shows?

*raises hand* Not me! :whistling-1:

I still think it would make for a good topic for chat.

me too.... we'll have to add it to the chat suggestion thread so we don't forget about...and we should definitely have another one soon.

Couchie we have the same list...

To me, Conan's relentless targeting of Clay do suggest homophobic tendencies. Kath Griffin...I just don;t find ehr humorous at all. Thats the kind of truly ugly type of comedy that I don;t find funny

:Ahh:

==========

ok, tv shows. 2007-2008 tv season. Hmm...has anyone watched Chuck? Is it worth the time? :lipstick:

I kinda like Chuck but I am not really loving it. I find the main character great but everyone else is just meh.

Gah. Does anybody else watch Brothers and Sisters? I swear, besides Clay, Rob Lowe is about the most beautiful man on the planet. Good lord, I think he just gave me the vapors.

:Thud:

I won't go into to much detail but you know how I feel about Kim Delaney. Brothers and Sistes have 2 more actresses that fit that catgegory. heh

Gah. Does anybody else watch Brothers and Sisters? I swear, besides Clay, Rob Lowe is about the most beautiful man on the planet. Good lord, I think he just gave me the vapors.

:Thud:

I won't go into to much detail but you know how I feel about Kim Delaney. Brothers and Sistes have 2 more actresses that fit that catgegory. heh

Calista Flockheart and.... Rachel Griffith? Patricia Wettig? Sally Field? Heheh. I very nearly didn't watch this show just because Calista was on it. But it's such an ensemble cast. And it's really well written. Smart and funny and touching. And then there's Rob Lowe, looking fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

yep Calista is one..and Rachel Griffiths almost ruined Six Feet Under for me.

For me its Sally Field. I actually used to love Ally McBeal...but now...Calista is close to getting on my nerves too. Rob Lowe...yeah he is cute...

couchie, why don't you like Kim Delaney and Callista Flockheart? I know absolutely nothing about either of them except I loved Ally McBeal. Kim Delaney could walk into the library and check out a book and I wouldn't recognize her, I'm sure.

Oh, probably no good reason. Kim Delaney played Jenny Gardner on AMC and that character, which was one of the most popular and on every day, just grated on my last nerve. I came to realize later it was the actress as her presence made me turn off NYPD Blue. Then I was looking forward to seeing CSI Miami until I heard she would be on there so I didn't turn in. Found out a year later, evidently I'm not the only one in America that didn't like her as they got rid of her PDQ.

I get the same inexplicable feeling from the other two... And really they played characters you'd think I love (sweet Jenny, and she always had scenes with one of my favorite characters ever, Jesse Hubbard/AMC) and Rachel Griffiths character on Six Feet Under is the type of messed up character I normally love. I have a few actors like that to..won't watch them no matter what. I may get over it some day... Stuck on a cruise ship where they play the same movies 24/7 I finally got over my Brad Pitt apathy. hee.