MCWL Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

I think his Christmas special is on Bravo three times. And I believe he has taped a Christmas song for every talk show he has been on. At least four.

I love this Oh Come All Yee etc. I love how they weave the Hallilulah chorus in with it and my favorite is the long noted Looooooord.

Heck, I'm still buying it. I think what stands out for me, is you can hear Clay's love for these songs as he sings them. I love the medley, and I know some won't agree, but I love this more without the last "the Lord"he added when he sang it live.

I know others who prefer the simpler version...less flashy...I think I like both. In concert flashy is more exciting. On the cd this simple ending works better.

Heck, I'm still buying it. I think what stands out for me, is you can hear Clay's love for these songs as he sings them. I love the medley, and I know some won't agree, but I love this more without the last "the Lord"he added when he sang it live.

Yep!! I so agree. He loves this stuff. I'm sure he sat at home every Xmas season watching every Xmas special that came on. Like I always said..the man was born 20 years too late.

I think his Christmas special is on Bravo three times. And I believe he has taped a Christmas song for every talk show he has been on. At least four.

Thanks for the reminder. He's becoming a tradition during the holidays.

Yep!! I so agree. He loves this stuff. I'm sure he sat at home every Xmas season watching every Xmas special that came on. Like I always said..the man was born 20 years too late.

Agree totally with the bolded parts in both quotes. You can tell he simply loves the Christmas season. That's why I think we'll ALWAYS get a Christmas tour of some type from him for the next few years.

And while he can rock, he sings the classics so well.

Love the recorded version of this. I have an extreme fondness for the trumpet solo, and think Clay's arrangement sounds so retro cool.

God, I love it.

THis one, I was not too happy with his vocals...I felt he over sang some parts.

Really? Man, I don't agree with this. I think his vocal touch is incredibly light on record (which I love), and think he started to oversing it last year.

Probably competing with the show-off dancers. :P

Five minutes to next song!

Heck I think he was 40 years too late at times...20 years was only the 80's heh...

But he can't really fight who he is, I am glad he just give in to it fully during Christmas

Ansa I think I know what you mean by his oversinging certain parts but I LOVE THIS SONG. heee. Absolutely love it.

He was born when... 1979 or something like that... I know bad Clay fan...I'm trying to figure out which era he belongs in... it's like he should be singing in the 40s or 50s heee. I understand why he appeals to people of all ages though.

I can just see people dancing to this song. I think it's dang near perfect. I love the way on "hand a shining star upon the highest bough, he softens that high note at the end..

Yeah, I'm with ldyjocelyn I don't hear oversinging in this, but I did in the last "the Lord" in the hark the

herald......medley (when he added it to live versions)

Edited by atinal

Really? Man, I don't agree with this. I think his vocal touch is incredibly light on record (which I love), and think he started to oversing it last year.

Probably competing with the show-off dancers.

HMMM...maybe I am mixing it up with the Christmas song...I will have to review my JNT clack. I still think the way he chose tosing some parts in full voice lends to over singing at times. I think this one would be lvoely if he gave it the HYCA treatment...or IBHFC...

I can just see people dancing to this song. I think it's dang near perfect. I love the way on "hand a shining star upon the highest bough, he softens that high note at the end..

Oh yes...that is sublime. Love it! That's a vocal technique I LOVE from him, he does that often.

Mary, Did You Know

I played this album for my conservative Christian brother when it first came out 2 years ago. He absolutely loves MDYK. Thinks its the best version ever.

Then he tried to borrow the album from me and burn a copy. Grrrrrr. Fortunately, I've bought enough.

I love the last two notes of this song. Sublime.

I have listened to so many versions of this song...Clay's is the definitive one....

I love the arrangement and the beautiful instrumentation.

But gah...that glory note...its not always perfect when sang live...but he usually gives it a little break in his voice at the end that is just a bit heart breaking.

This is HIS song for sure.

I have listened to so many versions of this song...Clay's is the definitive one....

I love the arrangement and the beautiful instrumentation.

But gah...that glory note...its not always perfect when sang live...but he usually gives it a little break in his voice at the end that is just a bit heart breaking.

This is HIS song for sure.

Ah yes....his song...even if this is the one that the random lyric generator keeps kicking in!

Five minutes to next song!

And back to that glory note for a second...yeah, he didn't always hit it square. But you could tell he always FELT it. Remember the pounding of the thigh?

GUH.

Note per note the recorded version is just perfect...but when he sings this live...with this reflective look in his face ...it is just so much more effective.

This is another song he gets lost in....always beautiful...I think my favorite live performance is The view or Today show.

I really wonder about why he keeps mixing up the words...I wonder if for him there is a better way to sequnce the words.

It does seem strange to me that this song, which seems to mean so much to him, is the one that he really keeps messing up live. I guess he needs better mnemonics. *g*

Joy to the World

plugs ears in preparation of first note

I went to Madison Sq Garden with playbiller a few years ago. Of course we couldn't get seats together. I sat next to a man, whose wife insisted he come to the concert. She only came for this song. She also wanted to know if he was serious about anyone since her daughter would be perfect for him. I just told her he was single.

Anyway this is the hit of the album. I think he could sell many more copies of the cd if this song got radio play.

I had never heard this song until Clay's version was posted on the boards. It is fast becoming one of my favorite of all songs Christmas or otherwise. It is really beautiful

Oh I remember the target version and when I jsut sat around the wholeday listening to it...and crying...sigh. This man has made me cry with his voice countless times...I can;t believe some FANS say he does not feel the music.

well almost made it back LOL. much too jarring to follow MDYK.

ITA...

This is the weakest track on the album, IMO. The chorus is just.too.much. Clay does a fine job, but I'm just not crazy about the whole thing.

No wonder he didn't sing this one live.

Wish it could have been the Disney version instead!