All About Clay Gabfest: looking forward to 2007

Ansamcw

2006 is about to come to an end...the past year has been a time of many highs and lows in the Clay Fandom.

Its time to look forward to the next year.

Tonight...we can talk about all our wishes for Clay in the new year...our worries...speculations and predictions.

It would be fun to see how this discussion would hold up to the end of next year.

Discussion will remain open after the gabfest. Members that won't be able to join can add their post anytime.

The thread will be opened at 8:45 EST..

Well opening the thread...

welcome to the last All about Clay Gabfest for 2006...

just jump in and say hi anytime you come in and just post your thoguhts about Clay in 2007...

Wishes...

>My number one wish for Clay is to get that Talk Show he seems to want so much....

I know that this may interfere with his singing and recording career...but I think if he incorporates music into the format this can actually enhance his record sales. I think Clay felt pretty frustrated this year when he didn;t have any venue to stand up for himself or to respond to all the things being said to him. I think having a talk show would give him that platform...

I also think he has so many interest...so many opinions that he wants to share...Hee, I bet he will rival Rosie in controversies...

> Number two wish...that he may find the person that will make him happy...and make LAA irrelevant. He may ahve someone liek that right now...but I always wish personal happiness for him in his relationships.

>Number three wish...ATDW goes platinum and more. I think he truly gave this project his all and I would want him to feel personal success with it. I still think there is a chance...there are great songs in that CD all he needs is one hit...and its very very possible

>Number Four wish...that he can find creative freedom in his next CD project and he can bring out the best CD he can by the end of the year or the start of next year.

>Number five wish...Start of international exposure. I do hope he gets to visit Asia...and Europe. I do believe ATDW has potential internationally.

> Finally peace from haters and hateful people who want to hurt him...this one is very difficult to fulfill...so I guess my hope is that he finds it easier to deal with. He seems to be handling them so well in public...I wish it truly is easy in his private moments.

Hey y'all!

RE: A talk show. I do think it could enhance his music career, although I must admit, the thought of him jumping into such a competitive arena makes me a bit nervous. However, I'd bet that any talk show he did would be radically different than others out there, simply because he's a very unique personality. I do suspect that the amount of air time he did get on talk shows this year may suggest that he is seriously trying to demonstrate his conversational prowess.

Hey y'all!

RE: A talk show. I do think it could enhance his music career, although I must admit, the thought of him jumping into such a competitive arena makes me a bit nervous. However, I'd bet that any talk show he did would be radically different than others out there, simply because he's a very unique personality. I do suspect that the amount of air time he did get on talk shows this year may suggest that he is seriously trying to demonstrate his conversational prowess.

yup ...I think he wants to revive the old Donahue format where he really gets to talk to the audience and the audience gets to talk to the guests...but nowhere near the format of Jerry springer. I truly think he would be most interested in handling serious issues intead of just being a venue for celebrities to plug their projects.

But it would be interesting to see how the fandom would handle hearing Clay's opinion on several subjects. I think Burnt Puppies will be all over the place. Not for me I hope.

I think several of my wishes for Clay revolve around the phrase he signed on many an autograph:

Health, happiness, and hope

Health: Frankly, Clay kinda scared me this past December with his vertigo incident. I realize that it was probably just a side effect of some sort of bug, but still...I want him healthy, in order to keep singing.

Happiness: This one is easy to say, but difficult to accomplish. First of all, I want him happy in his personal life. I hope he finds someone special to share his good times, as well as his not-so-good times. Secondly, I want him to be happy in his professional career. I believe he's got a long way to go with this, actually -- IMO, he's still pretty "green" in the recording industry. But I think he's learning, taking a lot of notes, and is working on the career he wants.

Hope: I truly believe that his Christian faith will sustain him through any trials and tribulations that come his way in the new year. To that end, it will give him hope.

I was hoping for that Cartoon disney role to appear. Maybe one with a hit theme song.

yeah...I think doing animation character will be a great way for Clay to get his feet wet in acting. I actually hope he could get into a dreamworks project or pixar...I just find their humor more current.

Movie theme song would be so neat too.

Ah, but the man can't let a good joke pass him by. I can't see it beeing so serious, at least not yet.

He would have variety on his talk show. Music, humor and a serious subject.

FIrst, though, I would still like to see him oh Jon Stewart. I guess I have to suggest him as a guest. Maybe he can talk about John Edwards and NC.

I would guess that the first 3/4 of the year was difficult for Clay. He was under attack with no outlet to really speak back. I don't know if I agree with complete and utter silence in the face of such mudslinging but giving them the attention they wanted isn't the answer either. He also seemed to have a lot of health issues this year and first of all I would really like for him to get healthy. I know it's not considered that he had any promotion but the last quarter of the year (and I'm sure the entire year with the recording etc) was extremely busy for him. And him being sick must have taken quite the toll.

So Clay, relax and have some fun. That's what I wish for him first in 2007.

Then I'd love to see a small venue tour for 2007.... a tour that would go from coast to coast. I'd love to see a single actually sent to radio, see some radio interviews, lots of local media for the tour. So I guess I hope ATDW isn't completely dead and that some more time be given it.

As far as the television show goes... I think he'd be masterful at it. He should do up something in that studio of his..hey does he have a studio..and try to sell that puppy. Since I think he does a great job playing off others I wouldn't even mind a show on the lines of The View but more issue oriented and aimed at a younger audience. It can air opposite Ripa's new show. LOL. Oh and yeah I'd like to see him back on that show because I think it would create a media sensation. Don't know in what context it could happen but I'd like to see that bitch eat crow on national tv.

As for his next record, and whether he stays or leaves RCA..this is where I like to just sit back and leave it in Clay's hands. He knows what's best for himself and he'll handle it. I just really think the man knows what he is doing. He never forgets. And if folks are doing him wrong he'll do something about it. This is why I don't really buy into the fan's hang him high attitude about Roger. I think he and Clay have been working together for years now and Clay knows what's up. I really don't like how the man is denigrated so openly on message boards. This is helping Clay how?

>Number five wish...Start of international exposure. I do hope he gets to visit Asia...and Europe. I do believe ATDW has potential internationally.

> Finally peace from haters and hateful people who want to hurt him...this one is very difficult to fulfill...so I guess my hope is that he finds it easier to deal with. He seems to be handling them so well in public...I wish it truly is easy in his private moments.

I love these two Ansa. I think it's high time Clay did something in Asia where they seem to like him without ever seeing him. I think he would charm the socks off people in other countries.

I think several of my wishes for Clay revolve around the phrase he signed on many an autograph:

Health, happiness, and hope

Health: Frankly, Clay kinda scared me this past December with his vertigo incident. I realize that it was probably just a side effect of some sort of bug, but still...I want him healthy, in order to keep singing.

It does seem like he was sick a lot this year...but if his congestion is allergy based then it could bother him frequently. The vertigo may just be due to an ear infection and that is not really a problem that would rcur too often

Happiness: This one is easy to say, but difficult to accomplish. First of all, I want him happy in his personal life. I hope he finds someone special to share his good times, as well as his not-so-good times. Secondly, I want him to be happy in his professional career. I believe he's got a long way to go with this, actually -- IMO, he's still pretty "green" in the recording industry. But I think he's learning, taking a lot of notes, and is working on the career he wants.

I think happiness in his career would really depend on what he wants. I know a lot of people want a superstar career for him...but I really don't know if that is what he wants. I think he would want respect in the industry...but you don;t need to be a superstar to have that. I do think he would want to get acknowledged by the industry by getting grammy nominations. I do believe that is in his future...just need the right project.

Hi, y'all. I'm really torn. I'd LOVE to join you here, but if I do I won't get my chapter finished and I really wanted to get this chapter done tonight so that I can meet my New Year's Eve deadline for...

:unsure:

THE chapter....know what I'm talkin' 'bout? B)

But here's what I hope for Clay in 2007. I hope he finds a balance in his life---a satisfying and challenging mix of professional growth and personal happiness. I could elaborate, but I've got Clay and Tyra all worked up and hate to leave them to their own devices too long.... ;)

I would like to see Clay do a weekly show rather than a daily show so that it would not interfer with touring. He could do an expose show and embarrass gossip columnists by exposing them for the unsavory people that they are. I believe he said he wanted to do an audience participation Q&A type show.

I also hope he can record an album of songs that he chooses. Although I am not sure if I can survive another round of "The Fans Know Best." No leaks or hints this time around. Surprise us.

I hope he is thinking of a family in the next few years. I can't wait to see a flock of redheaded children running around those ten acres. Although I doubt he would allow pictures with all the crazies out there.

Other than this tour, tour tour. :D

Ah, but the man can't let a good joke pass him by. I can't see it beeing so serious, at least not yet.

He would have variety on his talk show. Music, humor and a serious subject.

FIrst, though, I would still like to see him oh Jon Stewart. I guess I have to suggest him as a guest. Maybe he can talk about John Edwards and NC.

Oh yes...I think his show will always have some humor mixed in. I think he may start out with talking with the audience first before bringing in the guests or introducing the topic. I think he will have fun topics and fun with serious topics.

My hope is that he would have one day a week...if its a daily show...completely focused on music.

ahem, don't let us hold you up Muski...do you need me to run over to your house and do anything...feed the kids, walk the dog..just let me know..LOL..

just kidding...I want you here too!!

I like the animation thing..his voice is expressive so would love to see him do this. I do think it's a pretty difficult thing to do..as difficult as any acting job though.

LdyJ..love your hope for CLay as well. May I add finding inner peace to the mix as well. I think he's found that.... if he hasn't he is a great actor.

>Number three wish...ATDW goes platinum and more. I think he truly gave this project his all and I would want him to feel personal success with it. I still think there is a chance...there are great songs in that CD all he needs is one hit...and its very very possible

I have no doubts that this will happen. I think the question is WHEN. However, I don't feel a burning need for this album to make platinum any time soon, as long as it does it eventually. I'm in that "slow and steady" camp.

>Number Four wish...that he can find creative freedom in his next CD project and he can bring out the best CD he can by the end of the year or the start of next year.

I can get behind this, and really easily. BUT -- I hope that if he gets to sing what he wants to sing, that it doesn't create so much discord in the fandom. I think this really depends on what each individual believes is "his sound and his songs." I will never be totally convinced that Clay will ever go ROCKSTAR! It may be a part of him, but it's not the only part of him, IMO. Same with "ballad boy." I want him to sing what he wants to sing.

Amen.

Yes, I've had that thought about the competition in talk shows more than a few times. There are always at least 5 that start every TV season, and unless you've got Oprah in your court, most get cancelled. But I think that if any one can pull it off, it's Clay. I wonder how other talk show hosts feel about him, especially after the Ripagate thing. I also wonder if they would feel differently if that incident hadn't happened at all, if his "audition" there would have really taken him far.

But it would be interesting to see how the fandom would handle hearing Clay's opinion on several subjects. I think Burnt Puppies will be all over the place. Not for me I hope.

Oh yeah...I think there would be the smell of singe all over the place....

Oh good, couchie mentioned the tour. Yes, I envision a tour supporting ATDW...and I actually think it will be somewhat similar to the NaCT, at least in venue size. I also see him dressing very similarly -- the suit look is marvelous on him. Anyway, it sounds like he may have the band back (or at least his "girls"), so I would venture a guess that it will still be an energetic show, but one that shows the versatility of his voice, and also of these songs.

As for the RCA stuff...I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no records.

*counts the minutes until I can read "THE CHAPTER"*

Oh, if only I could have one of those magic lamps that I could rub and make things happen the way I want them to...........

I'd rub the lamp and ask the genie to turn all of the toads into real toads and make them hop off into quick sand never to be heard from again

Then I would rub the lamp and have the genie sprinkle a little fairy dust on the fair weather fans to make them appreciate all of the great gifts we have been blessed with in the fandom

Oh, this is getting fun, I'd rub the lamp and all of the radio stations would be playing Clay's songs and the asshat dj's would be bowing at his feet and singing his praises

Rub, Rub, Rub, Clay would get his talk show and a cartoon voice over and Conan O'Brien would be arrested for some sort of sexual deviant behavior

You realize there is no limit on this particular lamp don't you......

......Clay would start getting recognition for the performer that his is

.......He would tour lots and within driving distance of all his "true fans" ha

-----I would be indepently wealthy so I could see as many of his shows that I want

Oh and that all of the children in the world could live in peace and harmony ( anyone remember that Steve Martin gem from SNL???

I do think that if anyone could make a variety show work, Clay could.

In terms of health, I do hope he remains well during 2007. Clay has long seemed susceptible to health issues, between all the illnesses, allergies, and eye problems. I think he knows this, which is why he does tend to emphasize health, a sort of unusual thing for a young male.

My fantasy -- a supporting comedic role in a television show or movie, one that would allow him to impress people with both his vocal and comic skills.

I would like to see Clay do a weekly show rather than a daily show so that it would not interfer with touring. He could do an expose show and embarrass gossip columnists by exposing them for the unsavory people that they are.

I don't know about for Clay but this would be a great idea for someone. I love it. Somebody to put to rest rumour and innuendo before they get a foothold.

Oh good, couchie mentioned the tour. Yes, I envision a tour supporting ATDW...and I actually think it will be somewhat similar to the NaCT, at least in venue size. I also see him dressing very similarly -- the suit look is marvelous on him. Anyway, it sounds like he may have the band back (or at least his "girls"), so I would venture a guess that it will still be an energetic show, but one that shows the versatility of his voice, and also of these songs.

I can't even believe people don't know Clay by now...that he would go on the road and sing 16 ballads in a row. Clay's shows have always had lots of ballads...but Clay also understands pacing. The man would just replace Solitaire and I Survived You with songs from this album and he would incorprate some uptempo songs to balance the entire thing out..plus add his banter and it has the makings of a great show. He is still so underestimated by his fans.

And I would love Atinal to get her magic lamp!!

ETA because Jenna and Atinal are not the same person..

I also hope he can record an album of songs that he chooses. Although I am not sure if I can survive another round of "The Fans Know Best." No leaks or hints this time around. Surprise us.

No kidding. I'd love it if the fandom could just not seek out every piece of information about Clay Aiken this year and report it. There is pleasure in surprise, IMO.

Swoon. Clay and Jon -- I'd be in heaven.

Oh yes...I think his show will always have some humor mixed in. I think he may start out with talking with the audience first before bringing in the guests or introducing the topic. I think he will have fun topics and fun with serious topics.

My hope is that he would have one day a week...if its a daily show...completely focused on music.

You know, I don't know nuthin' 'bout no talk shows either...but I'm one that believes that his charm will sell more records that hearing him sing on TV regularly. Sure, I think he should sing on his show, but I think many more people came out of his Christmas shows chuckling about how funny he was, rather than his voice. I could be wrong about that though.... So, I think he really doesn't have to sing TOO often to let people know that he's a singer who can also run a show.

I know that makes no sense. Back to my hole...where I'm trying to come up with a lamp for atinal's wishes....

My fantasy -- a supporting comedic role in a television show or movie, one that would allow him to impress people with both his vocal and comic skills.

I can get behind this. There's got to be a "Dreamgirls" for men out there, right? *g*

I can't even believe people don't know Clay by now...that he would go on the road and sing 16 ballads in a row. Clay's shows have always had lots of ballads...but Clay also understands pacing. The man would just replace Solitaire and I Survived You with songs from this album and he would incorprate some uptempo songs to balance the entire thing out..plus add his banter and it has the makings of a great show. He is still so underestimated by his fans.

I also think that Clay understands "changing songs to make them more interesting night after night." I mean, the progression of "I Survived You" in 2004 was a sight to behold. And that's a ballad -- but it was also one of the most thrilling pieces I've seen from him live. Talk about your acting skills -- he had them in spades with that song.

Yes, he IS underestimated by the fans, IMO, because he's not doing things the way they feel he should do them. I truly think he'll do almost all the songs from this album on the tour, and throw in some good pop/rock more uptempo songs to break it all up. That's not the way I think more than a few fans want it to be.

I just know that I'll be there with bells on when tour time comes!

I would like to see Clay do a weekly show rather than a daily show so that it would not interfer with touring. He could do an expose show and embarrass gossip columnists by exposing them for the unsavory people that they are.

I don't know about for Clay but this would be a great idea for someone. I love it. Somebody to put to rest rumour and innuendo before they get a foothold.

Unfortunately rather than exposing them, most of the daily shows seem to embrace them.

Perhaps Clay could get a recurring role in a sitcom. I enjoyed his bit in Scrubs and even DOOL, although I don't watch soaps and probably would miss most of the shows.

I like the idea of a cartoon voice over or even a movie part, but not playing himself. I think Clay is ready to stretch out to some new fields and I would love to see someone take a chance in casting him in a different sort of role.

So true, Couchie.

Personally, between a talk show and a variety show, I'd rather have the variety show.

While I do think that Clay's personality can create fans, I'm not sure it necessarily sells CD's without enough musical exposure. Regis Philbin and Kathie Lee Gifford both appear to have fans, but neither seems to have sold particularly well. People don't think of them as artists. They think of them as talk show hosts who sing. I have my doubts that music could be regularly incorporated in a daily talk show, particularly one with guests. I have a feeling many artists (especially the hordes that lip synch every performance) would prefer to promote their material without him singing with them.

It's been a while since variety shows have been big, but the time may be ripe. Shows like AI, SYTYCD, and DWTS suggest that there is an appetite for performance based shows. Prime time exposure is potentially much greater than your typical syndicated daytime or late night talk show. Besides, such shows could be taped in the fall and spring, allowing for summer and winter touring. Yes, variety shows are a bit old-fashioned an unhip, but so is Clay. I think the right show with a good mix of family friendly music and comedy could do surprisingly well.

It seems to me that most celebrity rumors could be squashed with a couple of phone calls. I think a show like this would work on Court TV. They have several celebrity themed shows... or perhaps bravo.

Is it USA that is doing a show called "Dirt", I think it's a drama, Courtney Cox is supposed to be in it, I'm not sure how they will address it in the scripts, but I think it is supposed to be about Tabloids and stuff like that. I know it's not the same as a talk show.

GAH...I am freezing right now...needed hot cocoa...AHHHH

I would guess that the first 3/4 of the year was difficult for Clay. He was under attack with no outlet to really speak back. I don't know if I agree with complete and utter silence in the face of such mudslinging but giving them the attention they wanted isn't the answer either.

To me keeping quiet was essntial so that it wouldn't give this person the satisfaction and so that the main story wouldn't be picked up by major entertainment news. If Clay was out there in current CD cycle...or if he had a show...he can essentially give the entertainment news soemthign else to talk about...or he can have a way to make fun of this issue.

Then I'd love to see a small venue tour for 2007.... a tour that would go from coast to coast. I'd love to see a single actually sent to radio, see some radio interviews, lots of local media for the tour. So I guess I hope ATDW isn't completely dead and that some more time be given it.

yup....I didn;t put the touring in my wishes because this is more a prediction for me...I am so sure he will be out touring this year. I bet he has two to three tours...similar to what Kelly did. Have one tour in the winter spring...with small intimate venues...then maybe go to fairs and small arenas in the summer with some additional songs and even previewing some songs for the next project...then I bet he has another Christmas themed tour in December.

Oh and yeah I'd like to see him back on that show because I think it would create a media sensation. Don't know in what context it could happen but I'd like to see that bitch eat crow on national tv.

Oh I woudln;t be surprised if they invite him back...that will be a ratings boost for sure. the question is...will Kelly agree He could come out wearing a gag...or he can bring it the biggest bouquet ever. They can continue the same sharp and friendly combative humor they had on that show. I think it would be good for Ripa to do that to show that there really was no homophobic bone in her body...although I would hate to have to watch her hypocritical diva face...

As for his next record, and whether he stays or leaves RCA..this is where I like to just sit back and leave it in Clay's hands. He knows what's best for himself and he'll handle it. I just really think the man knows what he is doing. He never forgets. And if folks are doing him wrong he'll do something about it. This is why I don't really buy into the fan's hang him high attitude about Roger. I think he and Clay have been working together for years now and Clay knows what's up. I really don't like how the man is denigrated so openly on message boards. This is helping Clay how?

So much WORD to you here. I really don't care if he stays with RCA or if he goes and works with David Foster in Warner...BUT I do wish that whoever is handling his next project...they would try to build his fanbase and not jsut rely to whats already there.

YUP...Clay does not seem to ahve a problem working with Roger...Clay is no fool...he gets rid of people he does not trust...and tries to keep his working family intact. I think Roger is a part of TC...and I think he has done a lot of good for Clay this promo...every appearance Clay had was more than jsut the regular sing and exchange a few words with the host. He definitely got more high quality appearance than your average music acts.

I would like to see Clay do a weekly show rather than a daily show so that it would not interfer with touring. He could do an expose show and embarrass gossip columnists by exposing them for the unsavory people that they are. I believe he said he wanted to do an audience participation Q&A type show.

I really don;t think a daily show can interfere with touring. There are a lot of Hiatus times. He will be free in the summer...there is the Holiday break and a break in the spring. I do believe Regis does tour with a variety show every year. Actually the talk show schedule is not that time consuming...its just prep work and a few hours a day. I think its quite easy to get into a rhythm...I wonder how tyra does it...

Oh and yeah I'd like to see him back on that show because I think it would create a media sensation. Don't know in what context it could happen but I'd like to see that bitch eat crow on national tv.

Oh I woudln;t be surprised if they invite him back...that will be a ratings boost for sure. the question is...will Kelly agree He could come out wearing a gag...or he can bring it the biggest bouquet ever. They can continue the same sharp and friendly combative humor they had on that show. I think it would be good for Ripa to do that to show that there really was no homophobic bone in her body...although I would hate to have to watch her hypocritical diva face...

Yeah, I actually almost expect him to make a return, probably during February sweeps, because his appearance would create huge public interest. Kelly might not be pleased, but someone must have convinced her it was a good idea to apologize, and I'll bet that same person (her publicist, maybe) will persuade her to allow him to come back so she can play the gracious lady.

BTW: It's FX that's doing "Dirt," a drama about a woman running a tabloid. My guess is that it will not be entirely sympathetic to celebrities.

As for Clay's next CD, my hope is that whatever label he is with, he works with executives who truly understand his appeal and potential. What I've seen isn't really malice, just lack of faith and imagination.