All About Clay Gabfest: looking forward to 2007

Ansamcw

Here I am! Sorry I'm late, I had gift cards to spend!

What do I want for Clay? Y'all covered most of it - the health, happiness, hope thingie...a tour in small venues that I manage to get front row for each...ATDW to go triple platinum over the next couple of years (and Clay to eventually reveal that he held a gun to Clive's head and forced him to agree to each and every cover)...that Clay get a GQ spread extolling the virtues of a double chin and a nice ass...that HBO offers Clay a boatload of money to put off his talk show for another year and he get to recreate one of my favorite TV series of all time - It Takes A Thief, because I think he would make a cute jewel thief and Pierce Brosnan could play his dad (Hey! I live for eye candy!) and Clay would sing a new theme song...that Clay somehow accidentally pulls the curtain down on DAUGHTRY!>!>J(@(U's alleged band a la The Wizard of Oz...that a hidden tape turns up next week revealed that James Brown annointed Clay as the new Godfather of Soul and the Hardest Working Man in Show Business and so Clay will now play the Apollo every 6 months...and Clay and I have a secret affair but end on good terms since he declares no other woman could live up to my example and it would break his heart but he would move on (he would be lying about how heartbroken he was but would say it to keep me happy).

I think that about covers it.

I can't believe I'm actually here for one of these. Yay!

YUP...Clay does not seem to ahve a problem working with Roger...Clay is no fool...he gets rid of people he does not trust...and tries to keep his working family intact. I think Roger is a part of TC...and I think he has done a lot of good for Clay this promo...every appearance Clay had was more than jsut the regular sing and exchange a few words with the host. He definitely got more high quality appearance than your average music acts.

Agreed. I actually believe there was a plan. Address the crap and then back off to give people a chance to think about what he said. Or not. What could would it do to repeatedly deny all the rumors and lies? Some very high profile stuff like Leno and LKL. A few targeted smaller appearances. Then bring on Mr. Christmas. After Christmas? Next post.....

Oh, if only I could have one of those magic lamps that I could rub and make things happen the way I want them to...........

I'd rub the lamp and ask the genie to turn all of the toads into real toads and make them hop off into quick sand never to be heard from again

Then I would rub the lamp and have the genie sprinkle a little fairy dust on the fair weather fans to make them appreciate all of the great gifts we have been blessed with in the fandom

Oh, this is getting fun, I'd rub the lamp and all of the radio stations would be playing Clay's songs and the asshat dj's would be bowing at his feet and singing his praises

Rub, Rub, Rub, Clay would get his talk show and a cartoon voice over and Conan O'Brien would be arrested for some sort of sexual deviant behavior

You realize there is no limit on this particular lamp don't you......

......Clay would start getting recognition for the performer that his is

.......He would tour lots and within driving distance of all his "true fans" ha

-----I would be indepently wealthy so I could see as many of his shows that I want

Oh and that all of the children in the world could live in peace and harmony ( anyone remember that Steve Martin gem from SNL???

I will co sign on all those magic lamp rubbings...hee

love the toad and conan one....

My fantasy -- a supporting comedic role in a television show or movie, one that would allow him to impress people with both his vocal and comic skills.

oh yeah...I do wish for this too. I was hoping he could be in on the remake of Revenge of the Nerds...but I think that is already getting filmed.

Thanks Jenna, I knew I had vaguely heard the promos for the show, but I guess I thought it came from the othe angle.

Seriously, my wishes for Clay would be what he wishes for himself. Like Ldyjocelyn his own wish for others of Health Happiness and Hope seems like a pretty good one. So much can go into that "hope" category.

I have so much hope for him.

ETA: I should have known that no one could wish bigger than KAndre!!!

Edited by atinal

I can't even believe people don't know Clay by now...that he would go on the road and sing 16 ballads in a row. Clay's shows have always had lots of ballads...but Clay also understands pacing. The man would just replace Solitaire and I Survived You with songs from this album and he would incorprate some uptempo songs to balance the entire thing out..plus add his banter and it has the makings of a great show. He is still so underestimated by his fans.

WORD!!!! I really can't imagine Clay doing a broing pop concert. I also think he will be putting in some uptempo stuff. This guy is a showman...he will always make it special. HE is one that gets easily bored so he will make sure the show is energetic.

I really can;t believe how negative some people are being about this possible ATDW tour. I am just sitting back and getting ready with the I told you so...when peopel start so say...that was the best tour ever...

You know, I don't know nuthin' 'bout no talk shows either...but I'm one that believes that his charm will sell more records that hearing him sing on TV regularly. Sure, I think he should sing on his show, but I think many more people came out of his Christmas shows chuckling about how funny he was, rather than his voice. I could be wrong about that though.... So, I think he really doesn't have to sing TOO often to let people know that he's a singer who can also run a show.

Oh I agree with you on this...but when I think of focusing on music...I mean maybe one song from him and then have musical guests and my idea is he can have non singers doing a song and he can do duets...just very unpredictable stuff. Like I remember Bailey on GA singign this great song on the show...if he can get acotrs that sing a shwocase in his show taht will be cool. ok...maybe once every two weeks...hee

I also think that Clay understands "changing songs to make them more interesting night after night." I mean, the progression of "I Survived You" in 2004 was a sight to behold. And that's a ballad -- but it was also one of the most thrilling pieces I've seen from him live. Talk about your acting skills -- he had them in spades with that song.

Yes, he IS underestimated by the fans, IMO, because he's not doing things the way they feel he should do them. I truly think he'll do almost all the songs from this album on the tour, and throw in some good pop/rock more uptempo songs to break it all up. That's not the way I think more than a few fans want it to be.

I just know that I'll be there with bells on when tour time comes!

Just look at what he accomplished with this tour. This is the third time he is touring with these songs...The only new songs he added are AIW and MGUCL...and yet time and time again...his most critical fans are saying it was the best tour EVAH...oh he will deliver...I ahve no doubt about that.

Oh Atinal,

-----I would be indepently wealthy so I could see as many of his shows that I want
would that we all would and could.

Talk show - maybe before he gets his own, I would like to see him as a substitute host for a week, Not a perfect test, but it would be fun and give up losts of Clack to discuss.

Fans know best - Some places actually allow that attitude to thrive, the naysayers are shouted down. Fear, this is a good place to bring up your comment about Roger, Et and people.

Wow, this is moving so fast, I can't multitask and keep up.

Maybe an HBO talk and sing special, that would be a good thing to see. Something that totally entertains people that they watch over and over and over. Oh, wait, Kelly is getting that.

As to R&K, I would liketo see Clay guest host with Regis, ratherthan Kelly and have Regis give a 45 miniute speech the next day about how nice he is.

I do think it would be nice if the concert complainers allow the fans who want to see it to get the front row seats this time and sit thier asses in the balcony.

Edited by playbiller

What do I want for Clay? Y'all covered most of it - the health, happiness, hope thingie...a tour in small venues that I manage to get front row for each...ATDW to go triple platinum over the next couple of years (and Clay to eventually reveal that he held a gun to Clive's head and forced him to agree to each and every cover)...that Clay get a GQ spread extolling the virtues of a double chin and a nice ass...that HBO offers Clay a boatload of money to put off his talk show for another year and he get to recreate one of my favorite TV series of all time - It Takes A Thief, because I think he would make a cute jewel thief and Pierce Brosnan could play his dad (Hey! I live for eye candy!) and Clay would sing a new theme song...that Clay somehow accidentally pulls the curtain down on DAUGHTRY!>!>J(@(U's alleged band a la The Wizard of Oz...that a hidden tape turns up next week revealed that James Brown annointed Clay as the new Godfather of Soul and the Hardest Working Man in Show Business and so Clay will now play the Apollo every 6 months...and Clay and I have a secret affair but end on good terms since he declares no other woman could live up to my example and it would break his heart but he would move on (he would be lying about how heartbroken he was but would say it to keep me happy).

I find the Clay holding a gun one quite EEEEEEEEEVIL...and I love it. And Pierce Brosnan and Clay together? *kicks Jon Stewart to the curb* Double swoon....

Hey! Can I help it if I like double chins on certain people?

I think his double chin in adorable.

As far as Clay appearing on R&K again -- I do think it's VERY possible. I just watched the Bill O'Reilly thing where they were going through the "highlights and lowlights" of the year, and this guy (not O'Reilly, hee) was saying that Clay was a jerk, overstepped his bounds, etc...and then said "I would say Clay will not appear on that show again." And I just LOL'd. If the publicity machines work as I think they do, I would venture a guess that there will be something going on, and soon.

Agreed. I actually believe there was a plan. Address the crap and then back off to give people a chance to think about what he said. Or not. What could would it do to repeatedly deny all the rumors and lies? Some very high profile stuff like Leno and LKL. A few targeted smaller appearances. Then bring on Mr. Christmas. After Christmas? Next post.....

jmh, I do think this was probably the plan all along, although I would have never guessed for it at the beginning of 2006.

My wildest fantasy appearance: a stint on either "ER" (putting him in the same room with Goran Visnjic would make me have a heart attack...) or "Lost" (as someone connected with Hurley, I can see him fitting in that way).

I really can;t believe how negative some people are being about this possible ATDW tour. I am just sitting back and getting ready with the I told you so...when peopel start so say...that was the best tour ever...

Kinda like what they did with the JBT, eh? :lol:

Lover All Alone is featured on Grey's Anatomy, causing millions to clamor for it on the radio and in stores. It makes a suprisingly rapid rise on the charts, and causes many to see Clay in a new light.

While I don't watch that show, I think this would be THE show for a song in primetime for Clay. It doesn't have to be LAA in my case, but it would give him some good exposure as a songwriter if that did happen.

Can I make a wish that those who are bitching about how terrible a ATDW tour would have to be have to wait until the day of an erstwhile show to get a ticket. Shouldn't bother them too much...

And they'd probably have all the luck and still get front row seats. GRRRRRRRRRRR.....

It seems to me that most celebrity rumors could be squashed with a couple of phone calls. I think a show like this would work on Court TV. They have several celebrity themed shows... or perhaps bravo.

Well they can do it like investigative entertainment news...debunking rumors. The only problem here...is that sometimes there is some truth in the rumors and to debunk ...you would still have to pry into the the celebrities business to see if its true or not. But it does sound like an interesting premise.

OK - for 2007. I hope for lots and lots of TV--whatever form it takes. My personal favorite would be a variety show, with singing and comedy skits.

I'd love to see him host SNL early in this coming year--guest host and musical guest--with tons of funny skits that he helps write.

A talk show, an acting part in a series, a movie or animated feature with PR, a TV special--anything of this nature that keeps him in the public eye. He sells himself, but people have to see him. Eventually (years from now) I'd like to see him as The late night host, or maybe a regular stand-in, so he'd have time to tour and record too.

I wish for more music, cause I love it when he sings. I wish for tours--2 or 3. I hope there's some karmic retribution for certain people.

And on a global scale, for everyone--peace, happiness, an easing of pain, misfortune, fear and hatred in the world.

Personally, between a talk show and a variety show, I'd rather have the variety show.

While I do think that Clay's personality can create fans, I'm not sure it necessarily sells CD's without enough musical exposure. Regis Philbin and Kathie Lee Gifford both appear to have fans, but neither seems to have sold particularly well. People don't think of them as artists. They think of them as talk show hosts who sing. I have my doubts that music could be regularly incorporated in a daily talk show, particularly one with guests. I have a feeling many artists (especially the hordes that lip synch every performance) would prefer to promote their material without him singing with them.

It's been a while since variety shows have been big, but the time may be ripe. Shows like AI, SYTYCD, and DWTS suggest that there is an appetite for performance based shows. Prime time exposure is potentially much greater than your typical syndicated daytime or late night talk show. Besides, such shows could be taped in the fall and spring, allowing for summer and winter touring. Yes, variety shows are a bit old-fashioned an unhip, but so is Clay. I think the right show with a good mix of family friendly music and comedy could do surprisingly well.

Good point on the music part...but I think Clay just wants to talk and discuss issues. I think at times he sees himself more as an entertainer rather than just a singer.

By varitey show do you mean something like the Carol Burnett Show? Hey maybe he can incorporate the dancing by haveing Benjie and donyelle as regulars...

Um, Regis was supposedto give a 4 to 5 minute speech the next day, not 45 minutes - sorry.

Hey, what's a few minutes difference...

:P

And on a global scale, for everyone--peace, happiness, an easing of pain, misfortune, fear and hatred in the world.

In the end, this is really all that matters. I too wish that as well...for all in the world, not just the "chosen few." ALL people.

It seems to me that most celebrity rumors could be squashed with a couple of phone calls. I think a show like this would work on Court TV. They have several celebrity themed shows... or perhaps bravo.

Is it USA that is doing a show called "Dirt", I think it's a drama, Courtney Cox is supposed to be in it, I'm not sure how they will address it in the scripts, but I think it is supposed to be about Tabloids and stuff like that. I know it's not the same as a talk show.

I saw the preveiws of this. It looks like courtney cox runs a magazine that is tabloidy...

BWAH!!!!

I specailly love the DAUGHTRY!!!11!!! reveal...

the secret affair...only if you will give your good friends in FCA DETAILS.... :D

Well, here isthe fun part of hosting SNL - you are a guest on Conan early in the week before the show - it is a tradition.

Without Tina Fey, is is less likely that Clay will host? I thought she was the big fan - Oooooh, have him on 30 rock - he can be himself there and interact with "the page" or he can be another Page!

Edited by playbiller

By varitey show do you mean something like the Carol Burnett Show? Hey maybe he can incorporate the dancing by haveing Benjie and donyelle as regulars...

When I was a kid, I loved the variety shows. Donny and Marie. Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters. Sonny and Cher. Tony Orlando and Dawn. As I recall, these shows started with a comic monologue, included a few funny sketches, and featured the title artists singing different numbers every week, sometimes with guest artists, sometimes not. The music wasn't necessarily hip or edgy, but it was fun.

I think having dance numbers by Benji and Donyelle would be great, and the potential interaction between them could be priceless.

OK Playbiller.

I had been talking to Play about some folks complaining that Roger was evil but forgetting that it was Roger who got Clay the insider gig as his friend is an executive on the Insider.

I always thought that it was a brilliant move to have Clay be a guest reporter on the Insider and now it appears that it has paid off big time. How easily we forget.