All About Clay Gabfest: looking forward to 2007

Ansamcw

Also on my wish list:

Lover All Alone is featured on Grey's Anatomy, causing millions to clamor for it on the radio and in stores. It makes a suprisingly rapid rise on the charts, and causes many to see Clay in a new light.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE...YEah that...and I wish this song will become a hit...will be released as a single and will win a grammy.

How funny would it be if Clay ends up getting the first grammy for a song he wrote among all the idols???

I really think he will continue to write lyrics.

When it comes to music....I really think that Clay hasn't totally committed his heart and soul to it YET. I really suspect he is almost afraid to do so because its too personal or he is afraid it would consume him...BUT I do believe that once he continues to make music that comes from deep inside him...that is what will really resonate with the public...with the critics and that is when he will finally be recognized as the artist he truly is.

I have a feeling that fate is pushing him to really dig deep thats why he does not have that big hit yet. But its coming...

Can I make a wish that those who are bitching about how terrible a ATDW tour would have to be have to wait until the day of an erstwhile show to get a ticket. Shouldn't bother them too much...

Oh yeah...and I hope that they never get to go to an M&G ...hey is anyone keeping track of names of the most vocally against it! would love to keep track of their recaps... :D

Needless to say, Fear left out that Roger is the person who has connections at People as well. so it is the insider/Et/ People connection.

I was saying this afternoon that I have worked with lots of people I did not like or feel were morally stable or kept their moths in check, but if they could get the work done and not screw me over, I could care less about any other part of them. I had a sales person who got me great assignments, he also did a lot of coke and gambled so much his wife left him and he thought I was not ambitious enough. . - not my problem. I just took the money and ran. Lots of money, heh. Then a gave a bunch of it to the government, sigh.

Fear..exactly. People think it's easy to get Clay on any and every show. But after Idol, Clay was one of THE hot stories of that year...Roger probably just picked up the phone and said yes or no. THis year it's different yet he still managed to get him some great gigs. I laugh out loud when so called marketing experts act like all you have to do is write it down and it is so. If it were that easy, everybody would be a star. And everybody would be in marketing and PR.

and weren't people bitching and moaning about another Xmas tour?

Play I like your idea about Clay guesting with Regis.

yeah and the guest hosting...don;t they do that with the view??? I would like to see him and Rosie interact more.

For a recurring special...I would like to see a valnetine special on PBS....

I dunno...I think a lot of "big hits" are simply serendipity...and just because an artist feels it, doesn't mean the public will...

I'm still one of those who think Clay has always totally committed himself to music as a singer...the writing part? I'm not sure if that really will ever be a push for him...it probably doesn't help that I really don't care if he ever writes anything again...I'm all about the performance...

Oooo! Valentine special! Sa-weet!

Someone did go back and get a fangirly review from someone who was bitching about the JNT2005 - and it was completely fangirly and sort of contradicted what they were saying now. They said it was just a momentary thing and they relize now how bad the show was. heh.,Caught in thier own bitch trap. Love those archives for finding this stuff.

When it comes to music....I really think that Clay hasn't totally committed his heart and soul to it YET. I really suspect he is almost afraid to do so because its too personal or he is afraid it would consume him...BUT I do believe that once he continues to make music that comes from deep inside him...that is what will really resonate with the public...with the critics and that is when he will finally be recognized as the artist he truly is.

I have a feeling that fate is pushing him to really dig deep thats why he does not have that big hit yet. But its coming...

That's my feeling, too. I suspect he may be afraid to reveal too much of himself emotionally, but I would not be surprised if digging deep is ultimately what propels him to the top.

From the way Clay talks and blogs, it's clear to me that he has a real affinity for language. My other great wish is that he connects with a composer who really understands his gift and the best way to present it. Perhaps its David Foster, perhaps its someone else. Such a collaboration could be magic.

OK - for 2007. I hope for lots and lots of TV--whatever form it takes. My personal favorite would be a variety show, with singing and comedy skits.

I'd love to see him host SNL early in this coming year--guest host and musical guest--with tons of funny skits that he helps write.

A talk show, an acting part in a series, a movie or animated feature with PR, a TV special--anything of this nature that keeps him in the public eye. He sells himself, but people have to see him. Eventually (years from now) I'd like to see him as The late night host, or maybe a regular stand-in, so he'd have time to tour and record too.

I wish for more music, cause I love it when he sings. I wish for tours--2 or 3. I hope there's some karmic retribution for certain people.

And on a global scale, for everyone--peace, happiness, an easing of pain, misfortune, fear and hatred in the world.

YEah SNL would be cool...the only problem is...it seems like the writing is good this season.

I do think TV is the best medium for him to promote himself.

YUP...late night comedy varitey show is my true wish for him...Specially if he goes before or after Kimmel and he constantly beats conan in the ratings...that COnan loses his show in just two years...hah.

hey...he can guest host for Kimmel once in a while...that would be totally cool...

Without Tina Fey, is is less likely that Clay will host? I thought she was the big fan - Oooooh, have him on 30 rock - he can be himself there and interact with "the page" or he can be another Page!

I saw the first two 30 rock episode and I really liked it but wasn;t able to follow it. How is it doing in the ratings ...I think that will be a great one to guest on. Hey he can even do a guest stint on studio 60...but not as himself.

OK Playbiller.

I had been talking to Play about some folks complaining that Roger was evil but forgetting that it was Roger who got Clay the insider gig as his friend is an executive on the Insider.

I always thought that it was a brilliant move to have Clay be a guest reporter on the Insider and now it appears that it has paid off big time. How easily we forget.

YUP...I think even during 2005...when Clay wasn't in anctive CD cycle Roger was around. I remember he was with Clay during the Emmy's ...

I really think the reason why Clay sticks with Roger is because he already has an in with a lot of these shows...these producers. Its not enough to have the best interest of the artist in mind ...the PR...publicist has to have good connections.

I dunno...I think a lot of "big hits" are simply serendipity...and just because an artist feels it, doesn't mean the public will...

I'm still one of those who think Clay has always totally committed himself to music as a singer...the writing part? I'm not sure if that really will ever be a push for him...it probably doesn't help that I really don't care if he ever writes anything again...I'm all about the performance...

Oooo! Valentine special! Sa-weet!

Oh I do think you are right...at times its all serendipity. Cos I do think that there was alwasy a potential big hit in MOAM and in ATDW...but the timing aint right yet...I just think that if that big hit comes too soon...then there may not be the motivation to dig deeper.

See I think Clay does take his singing seriously and is totally committed. Its his craft. But he seem hesitant in showing his creativity. I am not just talking about composing here...but in producing and arranging his music. That's why I am really happy that he was so involved in ATDW...and that he had a hand at Broken wings...cos he is showing a more inventive side of himself. I hope he continues to explore that, to continue to experiment and try new things with his sound. I think being around Angela, Quiana and even Jacob pushed him in his improvisation. I was happy when he was putting new florishes in some songs in the tour...I do hope he does that more and more cos he is so good when he does. its like he gets lost in the music.

Someone did go back and get a fangirly review from someone who was bitching about the JNT2005 - and it was completely fangirly and sort of contradicted what they were saying now. They said it was just a momentary thing and they relize now how bad the show was. heh.,Caught in thier own bitch trap. Love those archives for finding this stuff.

oh I do remember that...that was great!!!

For me, it doesn't matter if Clay writes his own stuff or not. I guess I grew up in a time when that wasn't important. People who were considered great (not necessarily by me) Sinatra, Elvis, Bennett didn't write, but they were recognized for what they did do. I have to remember though that even these greats went through times when things didn't go so great for them. I remind myself quite often that the "King" was only recognized by Grammy for his gospel albums and never for any of the many, many number one songs he had. It's a fickle industry and it didn't take Clay long to see that a lot of dirt gets flung around in it.

Writing one's own stuff seems to be important in buying people "cred" in today's music. It doesn't seem to matter all that much if it is really good, only that the "artist" wrote it themself. I could be wrong, but this opinion seems to be most important to the male music observer, and it doesn't seem to matter as much if women don't write their own stuff as guys. I'm making my judgement based on the viewpoint of my own son who is 28. Males don't seem to care much for guys with great voices either, something else they don't seem to mind on female singers. Now, I know I am guilty of grand generaliztion here, but I think this points to the reason Clay has difficulty breaking through with young males, and with DJs and their ilk.

These are just my own observations, I'm sure other's experiences vary.

I will close by wishing that Clay is able to open more minds to his sound, his humor and the generosity of his spirt

Edited by atinal

Thanks so mush to those who participated...

to end this...I will now bring out my crystal ball for my 2007 PREDICTIONS!!!

Clay will start the ATDW tour towards the end of FEB...

He will go visit some asian countries and may do some travelling for UNICEF.

Another summer...NOT A TOUR...

They will promote LNM and one of the covers to radio.

Clay will get a regular show for next season.

He will continue to collaborate with DF and SCC

He will do more acting and more comedy.

The next CD will come out by November ....

there will be a 2008 calendar....

He will do another guest appearance with Tyra.

He will do more TV promo with Dr Phil. Rachel Ray, Ellen and Today show, TES and Oprah.

He will continue to be happy...and gorgeous and the next CD will even be more fantabulous.

...so lets see what actually comes true...

anybody else want to make their fearless prediction...this thread will remain open to continue the discussion...

thanks for sharing your wishes...till next Gabfest.

If anybody has any suggestions of topics...just pm me or post it on the suggestions thread.

My predictions, a bit less bold, but nevertheless:

1. Clay will return to Regis and Kelly, and it will be a hugely hyped event.

2. Clay will go to Asia where he will make televised appearances and prove to be more popular than expected.

3. He will make a guest appearance on at least one sitcom. My dream would be the reported musical episode of Scrubs.

4. He will tour ATDW and incorporate even more comedic banter than this winter, something which will be noticed by the national media and which will lead to other television opportunities.

5. He will write more songs, at least one of which will be previewed in concert.

6. He will blog, leave audio messages, chat, or post at the fan club with more frequency than this year.

7. By June, he will have a completely different look.

8. He will write an article that will appear in a national magazine, newspaper or online news site.

9. He will appear on Jon Stewart, Bill Mohr or both, where he will stun the host with his grasp of politics.

10. His support of a presidential candidate will be revealed, which will cause a certain percentage of his fans' heads to explode. The boards will rage with emotional political rhetoric and some will declare that they can no longer support him. But then, some really primo Clack will surface and all will be forgiven.

And just for fun, I will predict that he will make a surprise appearance in a completely unexpected television show or movie, one that will have people buzzing for weeks.

I have to say I agree with most of what you have listed here, especially the expected return to R&K

My predictions, a bit less bold, but nevertheless:

1. Clay will return to Regis and Kelly, and it will be a hugely hyped event.

2. Clay will go to Asia where he will make televised appearances and prove to be more popular than expected.

3. He will make a guest appearance on at least one sitcom. My dream would be the reported musical episode of Scrubs.

4. He will tour ATDW and incorporate even more comedic banter than this winter, something which will be noticed by the national media and which will lead to other television opportunities.

5. He will write more songs, at least one of which will be previewed in concert.

6. He will blog, leave audio messages, chat, or post at the fan club with more frequency than this year.

8. He will write an article that will appear in a national magazine, newspaper or online news site.

9. He will appear on Jon Stewart, Bill Mohr or both, where he will stun the host with his grasp of politics.

10. His support of a presidential candidate will be revealed, which will cause a certain percentage of his fans' heads to explode. The boards will rage with emotional political rhetoric and some will declare that they can no longer support him. But then, some really primo Clack will surface and all will be forgiven.

And just for fun, I will predict that he will make a surprise appearance in a completely unexpected television show or movie, one that will have people buzzing for weeks.

The ones I have more trouble with, although I don't doubt they could happen, just don't think they will - that would be 5 and 9.

I do believe in 10 and I think this is really going to be a problem for some people, although, I do believe taht Clay's fans will be surprising in the fact that many are quite accepting of inclusion and that means they have to be accepting of people which tends to make me believe that his fans are more blue than red. I don't believe that those who leave over political beliefs will become haters or will forgive easily. Heck if I can accept that he does not believe in atheists, well, that is a tough point for me, so it really must be about his voice and not beliefs, except for basic decency.

I also thinkthe new look will emeger before June, heck, this guy looks different every week.

I'm going to add a few things here that I've not seen elsewhere, and then comment on some of the other points made:

1) I truly believe there will be a DVD release at some point. It might be a dual disc rerelease of ATDW, or it may be a concert video after the tour has been completed. But I think this will happen this year. (If it is a concert, and it gets shown on PBS during pledge week, so much the better. *g*)

2) He'll appear on Leno and Kimmel at least twice more this year, besides the appearances Ansa mentioned.

3) While on tour, he will continue to tease his fans. He plays off situations in the audience quite well. I also predict that several fans will be quite upset with him for doing this.

4) Almost forgot -- I'm pretty positive he'll appear somehow, someway on AI again this season. It may just be another "in the audience" thing, or it could be another promotion for ATDW. But I think he knows from whence he came, and will always be appreciative of it, even if they screwed it up. *g*

Now, for a few "gut reactions." I truly agree with most of the stuff both Ansa and Jenna listed.

He will go visit some asian countries and may do some travelling for UNICEF.

I think that's a given. He seems to thrive on his charity work, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's chomping at the bit to go international again. If he throws some Asian promotion in there too, that would be fantastic.

The next CD will come out by November ....

My honest gut reaction to this one is "no." Why? Don't I want a new album this year? Well, yeah, I really do. However, I think my reaction is an unintended side effect of hanging out in the some aspects of the fandom this year. This prediction has turned to "fact" so many times, and I just have an equal and opposite reaction to those kinds of things.

I feel the same way about the "fact" that he's leaving RCA soon. I have this silly wish that he actually announces that he'll be with RCA for the next few years, and is perfectly happy there. And the only reason I have that wish is because I'd kinda like to see some heads explode. I'm sick like that.

I hadn't heard about this episode of Scrubs -- but that makes total sense. They seemed to really like him a LOT, and it would be a good way to bring Kenny back into the mix one more time, even if they did fire him.

I truly do hope this one comes true, although I'm like atinal in the fact that I don't need him to ever write a song again. But it would be a cool bonus if he does tap into that personal side. I'm just not sure it will happen this year. I suppose it depends on if David Foster works with him and gets him to try one more time.

This is probably true, but in a way, it will make me sad. I'm so enjoying the look he developed over this past year, and I really don't want it to leave quite yet. I mean, really -- we had the spiked look for almost 2 1/2 years. Let's have another year or so with the English gentleman look, please?!?!? *g*

I like this idea -- but what would be the topic? I'd like to hear what you're thinking here.

Next stop: Face the Nation.

That pretty much seems to be the case -- he'll do something that pisses more than a few off, and they "leave" -- only to come back again with hormones blaring when he shows up in some unexpected place, looking cuter than ever.

Love reading all these predictions. It will be very interesting to see what comes forth this year. I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

I think also clay should try out talk show host he wants it let him try for a bit and he does need someone to share his life with he seems so alone maybe he can have the family then come back and do what he does best we can share him but the girl would have to be strong and take care of him cause clay has us also