The Academy Awards

ldyjocelyn

List of nominees

I'm really surprised that "Dreamgirls" didn't get a Best Picture nod, but happy to see Jennifer Hudson get her recognition. (I'm saying that as someone who hasn't seen the film, probably will wait until Netflix, but who really thinks that Jennifer has come a long way.)

OTOH, I'm pleased about "Little Miss Sunshine." It's a...strange....little movie, but I really liked it a lot. The payoff at the end was hysterical, IMO.

And go Al Gore! YAY! *g* I find it a bit funny to see that "An Inconvenient Truth" got a nomination for Best Song!

It is interesting that Dreamgirls didn't get nominated, despite the buzz. However, I don't think it had been winning a lot of the preliminary critics awards, and it didn't win the Golden Globe.

I haven't seen Babel, but I have seen the other nominees, and must admit, I was more engaged by The Departed, Queen, Letters from Iwa Jma, and Little Miss Sunshine than I was of Dreamgirls. Dreamgirls had some great moments (especially with Jennifer Hudson), but it felt a bit long, especially during the stretches when Jennifer's character was off-screen.

Little Miss Sunshine seems to be making a bit of a surprise run. I loved the film, but I had wondered whether Academy voters would find it too light for Best Picture consideration. However, it did have some truly moving performances, and it's one that, quite frankly, most people seem to have a soft spot for.

It is interesting that Dreamgirls didn't get nominated, despite the buzz. However, I don't think it had been winning a lot of the preliminary critics awards, and it didn't win the Golden Globe.

Actually, it did. The strange thing about the Golden Globes is that division between Drama films and Musical/Comedy films. I tend to think that the GG's like big musicals rather than small films (which is why they picked it over "Little Miss Sunshine," IMO).

I haven't seen Babel, but I have seen the other nominees, and must admit, I was more engaged by The Departed, Queen, Letters from Iwa Jma, and Little Miss Sunshine than I was of Dreamgirls. Dreamgirls had some great moments (especially with Jennifer Hudson), but it felt a bit long, especially during the stretches when Jennifer's character was off-screen.

The only one I've seen is Little Miss Sunshine, and that's because it's been out long enough to be out on DVD, and hence I can get it through Netflix. *g* When you live in the middle of freakin' no-where, it's hard see most of the movies nominated before the noms are announced. Out of the list, though, the only one I really want to see is "The Queen." That sounds fascinating, and Helen Mirren LOOKS outstanding.

Little Miss Sunshine seems to be making a bit of a surprise run. I loved the film, but I had wondered whether Academy voters would find it too light for Best Picture consideration. However, it did have some truly moving performances, and it's one that, quite frankly, most people seem to have a soft spot for.

I loved this one as well, although I thought it was more than a bit weird while I was actually watching it. But the movie does seem to have "dysfunctional" down cold, and you gotta love that, right?

Oscar nominations are in. The surprise is "Dreamgirls" was NOT nominated for best picture. The non-surprise is Jennifer Hudson was nominated for best supporting actress (and Eddie Murphy was nominated for best supporting actor).

It made me think, will Jennifer Hudson find a successful career as an actress or a singer or both - or neither? So many actors have one big picture, one big role, and then fade from sight. Will she be able to take her current popularity due to "Dreamgirls" and sell albums because of it if she wants to?

She went on AI as a singer. She has gained success as an actor in a role which requires singing. It will be interesting to see where her career goes from here.

I hijacked this from Claygasm's post in main.

First of all...I am not surprised that Dreamgirls wasn't nominated. I enjoyed it and I think its a good movies but I think it was a bit lopsided because the Deena and Curtis character were not strong. I feel that if you take Eddie and Jennifer away the movie would seriously suck except for the music. I don;t really know if that was the fault of Beyonce and Jamie Foxx or the way the director conceptualized and developed the characters.

I think Jennifer has the potential of becoming a truly important singer. I think it is crucial however, that she is allowed to be who she is in her recording and they should not attempt to make her fit the usual formula out there. I hope she can follow Christina's career path lately...make songs that appeal to her and be respected for her voice and talent.

As an actress I am still sceptical. I think part of the reason why she is so good as effie is because she probably had very similar insecurities and fear as Effie since she is also a very talented woman who do not fit the standard measures of beauty. I bet she has felt a lot of frustration because of her size. So I do believe she had that advantage in doing this role. I need to see her in another role to see if she truly is a great actress.

ldyjocelyn, you're absolutely right. Dreamgirls did win the Golden Globe, but in the Musical/Comedy category. However, it seems like the critics' circles have been picking films like Letters from Iwo Jima, The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, and United 93.

The Queen is fascinating. Helen Mirrin really did a brilliant job of capturing what we've seen of the public Queen Elizabeth, and yet, in a manner that makes her seem like a real woman. I was surprised to see the film get nominated, but not disappointed.

I am excited for Jennifer tonight...it would be crazy if she ends up not getting it when she has won almost all awards possible...hee

so what else should be making the sweeps of the awards???

so start chatting anytime you guys want...I will be coming in late after Cait goes to sleep....

enjoy!!!!

First catty comment - I love Jennifer Hudson but the little gold jacket she is wearing is AWFUL!

Jody Foster on the other hand always looks amazing - very classy.

Penelope Cruz looks like several hundred chickens were slaughtered to make her dress.

And what really cracks me up is how many of the stars Ryan has to introduce himself to because they have no clue who he is!

Now I have to tear myslef away from being catty to go feed my cat!

Please tell me I am not the only one hating on Ryan??? he seem trying to hard to be in with the stars but a lot of time his questions have been awkward...yuck...

and he was scolding his co host...about asking about the underwear...it was awkward...but it became more so when he made a big deal out of it.

So far...the outfits I love...kate winslet..I like penelope's outfit...I like Nicole...

anyway...I have this terrible headache...and I think I will watch this in bed...

have fun everybody

I really love how Resse is looking now...she looks beautiful and I love her hair.

Kirsten Dunst's dress made me cackle! Lordy. I loved Kate Winslet's dress AND I love her, too. Nicole Kidman's makeup seemed harsh to me...anyone else?

I love being catty about the rich and beautiful and famous, don't you?

Oh dear TAR got me...staying on...but I do agree Nicole's make up did look harsh...

I don;t like Helen Mirren's outfit...reminded me of some of my moms old gowns...

Well, shoot...I liked Helen Mirren's dress. Thought it seems like a good dress for someone of her age and body type.

What's this about Jennifer Hudson's dress being bad? I'll have to look for a picture of that.

This is a cool little montage...Eddie Murphy cracked me up!

ldyj - Jennifer's dress is ok. Its this weird little godl lame jacket she's wearing that IMO is completely unattractive.

And Ryan is an idiot. Did you all see him say to Jennifer "You really lost a lot of weight!" I mean really! The woman is about to win an Oscar and this idiot is saying "You're not as fat as you used to be!".

Well, shoot...I liked Helen Mirren's dress. Thought it seems like a good dress for someone of her age and body type.

What's this about Jennifer Hudson's dress being bad? I'll have to look for a picture of that.

This is a cool little montage...Eddie Murphy cracked me up!

Well it was better fitting than my moms gowns but I never liked heavily beaded bodices...I think I liked her GG gown better.

Hey there! Jumping in here.

Jennifer's dress looks much better now, with the gold wings or whatever the hell that was.

And yes, Ryan's a first class putz for bringing up her weight.

ETA: Ellen looks really tired - she could smuggle an Oscar or two out of there in the bags under her eyes. Whoa! Good job though. Loved the Al Gore vote joke.

Edited by cindilu2

Not sure why those gold wings were necessary on Jennifer's dress. And she really shouldn't be standing with her hands in her pockets!

Cindilu2, I love your avie!

Well I can;t stand her dress....I liked her GG dress better....hope her performance outfit is better.