Lost

ldyjocelyn

I was having such a major brainfart. Totally could not remember about Locke's father being in the box. I don't understand why he is even interested in seeing that loser again.

I think it all goes back to a sense of having a family for Locke. Even though the guy was a first class con artist and screwed Locke over so many, many times -- in the back of Locke's mind, he's still DAD. That sense of family can run very strong. I see it the same way with a LOT of characters on this show -- why did Kate need to know why Mom turned her in? Why did Kate's Mom love her Dad, even though he beat her repeatedly? Why did Jack keep trying to get HIS Dad to get help, even though I think Jack knew his Dad would never get that help? IMO, it's all a sense of family, and it seems to be a recurring theme for this show.

I think too that this kind of thing happens in RL all the time as well.

Idyjocelyn you are probably right about Locke and his need to have family. All the characters have crossed paths before the plane crash. It's interesting to spot them in the back stories.

On tonight and I can hardly wait. Hope it is good.

God I wish we had some Boston Legal watchers here. Last night's show was awesome. I love James Spader and William Shatner's friendship in this show.

Edited by Clayzorback

So???No reaction to this episode???

I thought its good that they are finally showing us more of the mystery.

I don't think its a given that Julie is necessarily bad. I think she may still turn around and be someone they can trust.

ITs kinda interesting that they are giving us a different view of the others...

Sawyer was just too sweet...

I loved it. Another great episode. I knew Julie wasn't left behind. She had a job to do. I think her motivation is the promise of getting to go home. I agree though, that her character is going to come around and be one of the good guys. Couldn't you just see the love for Kate in Sawyer's eyes when they hugged? Boy it is going to get very interesting. When is Charley going to die, I wonder? They said what? 5 more episodes left this season? I can't wait until Season 3 comes out on DVD. It is a great experience watching the show this way.

Still want to see more of Desmonds, ESP ability and am waiting for the time when we get to see this "Box" thing that can show us anything we want. I'm going to hate when the season ends.

Man, they got me with this episode. I really loved the scene with Juliet standing up to Sawyer and Sayid -- it couldn't get more perfect than that. And yes, I fell for her being a good person, only to be shown as (possibly) a bad guy. I agree with most of you though that I think she'll come around again.

Awww, Sawyer actually melted my heart a bit when Kate showed up. They're gonna make me like him yet, aren't they?

Looks like Locke is coming back -- that should be good. Plus, I'm guessing that Jin and Juliet have a connection....

Hey couchie -- I'm going to be watching ER on my DVR soon! Ready to talk about it?

OK I guess I'm back on this ship...another interesting eppy. I really like Desmond.... can't wait for next week and to learn more about the new mystery woman..what shall we call her...NOTPenny?

Ohand Sawyer is still cute. What's up with Kate...that man is no second prize. Get over yourself.

Did like the Sawyer/Jack exchange.

OK I guess I'm back on this ship...another interesting eppy. I really like Desmond.... can't wait for next week and to learn more about the new mystery woman..what shall we call her...NOTPenny?

Ohand Sawyer is still cute. What's up with Kate...that man is no second prize. Get over yourself.

Did like the Sawyer/Jack exchange.

Yup I;m on board once again.

I think I figured out what is missing from this show...there really is a lack of underlying concept that pushes the story forward. For example...for xfiles...its the aliens....For Heroes...its the fact that people are mutating and developingpower. For Lost ...there is a lack of real direction...is it about survival??? No all the mystery of the island has overshadowed that. I wish they gave a more solid scifi backbone to whats been happening to them...but right now, its more just questions than answers. I do hope the establish what the island is soon...and what is driving this whole mystery. The individual stories are just not jelling without that.

OK...does this new woman have a connection with anyone in the show???

OMG it is just keeping me on the edge of my seat. I loved the idea that Desmond, once again, saved Charlie's butt. He thought by doing so that it killed Penny but that wasn't Penny hanging from the tree. It looked like that one hispanic girl that got killed off earlier. What was her name? I didn't like her character anyway, but that is who I thought it was when I first saw her. LOL I love Desmond. Of course I have a certain kind of lust for those Aussie men........

4 More episodes. It looks like the season finale will be good. Next week we get to see Locke and the others again? I agree Ansamcw. I would like more of a cohesive story line and would love if it was more sci-fi related.

I think I figured out what is missing from this show...there really is a lack of underlying concept that pushes the story forward. For example...for xfiles...its the aliens....For Heroes...its the fact that people are mutating and developingpower. For Lost ...there is a lack of real direction...is it about survival??? No all the mystery of the island has overshadowed that. I wish they gave a more solid scifi backbone to whats been happening to them...but right now, its more just questions than answers. I do hope the establish what the island is soon...and what is driving this whole mystery. The individual stories are just not jelling without that.

As usual, the opposite viewpoint from me -- I really don't want to have a sci-fi background for this show. I like having the mystery BE the storyline, and actually like the idea of answers leading to more questions. Don't know why, really, maybe it's because the X-Files burned me out. (And I don't watch Heroes yet, so I can't tie with that either). I think if they establish what is driving the whole thing, it's gonna be kinda like Maddie and David Addison finally "getting it on" on Moonlighting -- the excitement will be lost. JMO, of course.

This episode? I really like Desmond, think he's a great character. But -- this one didn't do it for me. I pretty much had it figured out that it wasn't going to be who he thought it was in the flight suit. As for the Sawyer/Kate thing -- well, I pretty much tuned all that out, since I don't care for either of them. Liked the Sawyer/Jack game though.

As usual, the opposite viewpoint from me -- I really don't want to have a sci-fi background for this show. I like having the mystery BE the storyline, and actually like the idea of answers leading to more questions. Don't know why, really, maybe it's because the X-Files burned me out. (And I don't watch Heroes yet, so I can't tie with that either). I think if they establish what is driving the whole thing, it's gonna be kinda like Maddie and David Addison finally "getting it on" on Moonlighting -- the excitement will be lost. JMO, of course.

This episode? I really like Desmond, think he's a great character. But -- this one didn't do it for me. I pretty much had it figured out that it wasn't going to be who he thought it was in the flight suit. As for the Sawyer/Kate thing -- well, I pretty much tuned all that out, since I don't care for either of them. Liked the Sawyer/Jack game though.

But they cannot dangle the mystery too much...there has to be some kind of underlying principle by which this particular univers runs...The probelm is, I wonder if the writers even figured out what the mystery is...what the answers are or are they just making us all run around in circles. there has to soemthing that ties it all together...why are they all connected...what about the powers of Walt...what did the psychic see in the baby of claire...what was the dharma initiative...what was behind the numbers...why would it affect hurley...so many questions. My fear is they will start to drop a lot of these strings and simply ignore them. I know I got super pissed with XF when they started to contradict things that they established before and never connected lose ends.

Anna Lucia.....That's who I thought the lady first looked like. I knew I would think of the name sooner or later. Hee I don't think it is her, obviously she got killed off but this girl reminded me of her.

I like how all the characters have crossed paths with each other, someway, in their past. I think this is going to be part of what makes the show cohesive towards the end of it's life. Right now, it does seem like they are just writing and making it up as they go along. LOL

I think we will see Walt and his son again, maybe next season. I, too, want to know what special powers he has, that they hinted at.

I also want Hurley to live so that he can claim and enjoy his prize money, when he gets back. Although, he thinks it is cursed and would probably end up giving it all away or burning it.

I would also love to see the French woman join the camp and get her daughter back from the others.

I love the show.

I like how all the characters have crossed paths with each other, someway, in their past. I think this is going to be part of what makes the show cohesive towards the end of it's life. Right now, it does seem like they are just writing and making it up as they go along. LOL

I agree Clayzorback. I feel about this show the way I think of anything Clay does -- I have faith. For some reason, I just gotta think that as the show nears its end, they will pull some points together. They may be some pretty far-fetched connections, but I do believe they will at least try. My Entertainment Weekly magazine last week had an article in it about this show, and hinted at some of the things that will be coming soon. I think they said that the episode on May 2 will allude to something from way back in season 1. This gives me some hope!

Where's my Lost people? Did everyone watch IGB and forget to tape Lost? I'm usually having to skip this thread for a few days, because I don't get to see the show live most of the time. This week I'm the first one here?!?!?!?!

Sun's story made me tear up. I'm actually quite glad that Jin was declared the father. OTOH -- I'm still not sure how much I can trust Juliet. Would she have lied to Sun? The flashback story, though -- actually quite meh for me, although I'm sad that Jin's father didn't even get to go to his son's wedding.

As for the other story -- well, it was strange seeing Russian dude again, and I'd love to know how he came back to life. (That island has some strange powers -- but regular viewers knew that, right?). I liked Desmond and Charlie's little exchange about how many Others have killed vs. the regular island people have killed.

Finally -- that finale?!?!? Oh man, talk about all hope being lost -- or is it?!?!? Tune in next week!

Sun and Jin are my favorites along with Sawyer. Every time they tell their history I just love it. I'm really really enjoying Lost ..I had reached my limit and almost given up and I'm glad I stuck with it because the last 5 or 6 eppies have been stellar. Is the finale next week?

It's a difficult balance. On one hand, like ldyjocelyn, I feel that some sense of mystery is still important to the series. Personally, I don't want an explicit and complete explanation until the final episode, because part of what makes it fascinating are the multitude of possibilities. Is there a purely scientific explanation, or are there mystical elements involved? Are these people real, clones, or merely figments of someone's delusion or dream?

On the other hand, I think that there have been times when the show failed to reveal enough, or to progress enough, to keep viewer interest. I do believe that the show's creator now has a better sense of where he wants to go with this series, which is why I think the story arcs are beginning to unfold more quickly.

I drifted away from Lost for a while, but I'm finding it much more absorbing now that they've abandoned the "tailies" and focused on the original characters.

WORD Jenna...Yup of course I don;t mean that they should reveal all the mysteries now...I think there should be some consistencies to their mysteries. Like it would be nice to have some explanation of dharma. Was it connected to the others? But they are getting back to what brought them and are they dead or not.

Yup Jin and Sun's story is very good. I also think the actors are excellent. I am also liking Juliet...

Okay, last week I didn't enjoy the episode. The whole thing surrounding Sun was, well, sort of boring to me. That is coming from someone who loves Sun & Jen's characters. Maybe part of my lack of interest, was due to my focus being diverted to real life issues

However last night blew me away. Are they all dead and in pergutory? (sp) Don't have time to look up the right spelling. *g* It sort of reminds of when I was watching the movie "The Sixth Sense" and realized for the first time that Bruce Willis was dead. One of the best moments in a movie I ever experienced.

I loved last night's episode. Glad Sawyer killed that SOB. I hope Jack gets killed off in the season finale. I really have come to not like him. The French woman made another appearance. I want to see more of her next season. Soooo good last night.

Clayzorback, you are sooooooo me regarding the last two episodes (and with almost everything in your post, except for you wanting to kill Jack, I still like him, sue.me). I really like Sun and Jin, but that episode was pretty meh for me. But last night? Whoa. What a mind blower. I'm glad they put that commercial break in when we found out Locke's daddy's "name" at one point was Tom Sawyer....because then my husband and I were doing the "OK, do we remember this? OMG, that was the guy who was bilking Sawyer's Mom! Oh. My. God. This is gonna get goooooooooooood."

And I'm also now REALLLY curious about the Others -- how the hell do they know so much about the crash victims? Where did they get these files? I've read somewhere that one of the creators of the show discounts the purgatory theory (but of course, that probably means nothing....).

Parachute chick? OMG, why didn't I think of that? I guess I'm still hopeful enough to think that they actually could be rescued!

Anybody been reading any articles on the show? I can at least give hints to who the flashbacks are for the final three episodes, if anyone is interested.

Last night's episode was pretty mindblowing.

I had expected Locke's dad to be the same guy who destroyed Sawyer's life. It was known that he had been a con man, and as Sawyer's enemy was one, it seemed only fitting within the show's universe that they'd be the same person. Still, it was intriguing that The Others, particularly Ben, felt that he had to be killed. Why? Just to make Locke into a better man? And as he actually had Sawyer do it, what effect would that have on his standing?

Locke's father seemed to believe he was in hell. Perhaps that is why he seemed so oblivious to the threat of death. However, can someone in hell or Purgatory actually be killed if they are already dead? I tend to think that he was lead to believe he was dead, but that he was actually alive. ldyjocelyn, you're right in that the creator has stated before that the show does NOT take place in purgatory. It is possible that he was bluffing, but somehow, I suspect that the truth is not that simple.

The show is presenting this possibility that the plane was found with all on board dead. It's an intriguing notion, but it is worth noting that we really only know this from two sources: the parachute woman and Locke's father. Perhaps either or both have been manipulated into believing or saying that. Maybe parachute woman is actually working for The Others.

When Kate told Jack and Juliet about her, Juliet didn't seem hopeful or stunned. What she said was, "We should tell her (Kate)." Tell her what? That the woman can't be who they think she is? That rescue is impossible? Hmm...

To me, the fact that The Others manipulate Locke/Sawyer into killing a man casts them into a far more sinister role than ever before. They've abducted people. They've tortured people. They forced Michael to kill Ana Lucia to get back Walt. However, to try to force an inherently gentle man to kill purely for revenge seems even crueler.

I wasn't happy that Sawyer killed Locke's father. It's not that the man didn't deserve it. It's that I do believe that killing someone, even a bastard, takes a toll on a person. Sawyer didn't seem happy that he had done it, even though he had wanted to do so for a long time. To me, it's almost as if The Others are testing the Losties to see what they can make them do.

I'm glad the show is packing more story development into these episodes. From the preview, it seems as though the next few episodes will be fascinating. BTW: There are spoilers in this article at Mediaweek.

Jenna you present some powerful fodder. It does give one lots to think about. I wondered the same thing. How can you kill someone who is already dead?

I remembered Sawyer's story about why he goes by Sawyer and how he came to be a con artist. This guy was the one who conned his mother out of their life savings and caused his father to take her life and then his. Then Sawyer took his name and started down the same kind of con business, always looking for him. Wrote that letter to give him one day when they would meet. It was funny how Tom Sawyer was actually goading Sawyer and Locke both into killing him. He really didn't have a fear of dying because he thought he was already dead. He kept saying don't you all know where you are at? Now I got the impression that Ben and the others think Locke has some untapped supernatural powers or something, and that is why he is not paralyzed on the island and why Ben is able to walk with a cane. That Locke somehow brought something magical with him when he came to the island or else the island is giving him some kind of powers. Which brings up the question of how the cute Aussie guy developed his powers of foreseeing the future?

I also had a WTH? moment with The Doc and Juliette, when they said shall we tell Kate? Yeah, tell her what? I started to wonder if maybe Jack isn't under some influence that has made him now become one of them. Oh my goodness. So much possibility with story lines. LOL

I tend to want to believe that parachute lady was really sent by Penelope to look for Desmond. She has all kinds of money and they have alluded to her searching for him before. I think she loves him enough to do that. Oy vey!!!!! I may tell Santa to bring me Season three on DVD before Christmas just so I can watch it all again.

So now we have two people who have claimed that they found the plane and there were no survivors. What to believe? I hope this is not going to be like the series Dallas, where Sawyer or someone wakes up and it is all a dream. HaHaHa. I wanna know sooooo bad, but yet I don't want to spoiler myself.

JennaZ you and I are sharing the same brain again...I was going to say the same thing...thatit can al be a set up. Like this woman at first was speaking another language that only the russian knows ..and he was not telling them the truth of what she was saying.

The thing is I keep seeing elements in the story that supports both theories...purgatory and manipulation.

Purgatory is supposed to be a place where souls wait to get to their final destination. Its possible in this universe they are tested to see if they can be good. I think when they die in the island it is their chance to move on to their final destination...it could be heaven or hell depending on how they act. Now I think Ben is some sort of angel...the gate keeper. I think he has become perverted and now wants to populate the island cos he wants to start his own reality...I am thinking that when Juliet was given that drug before she wen on the submarine it was actually something that killed her and so she woke up in purgatory. Lots of possibility really

At the same time...it can all be just a way to manipulate them all.

Now I can't wait till next week.

I also had a WTH? moment with The Doc and Juliette, when they said shall we tell Kate? Yeah, tell her what? I started to wonder if maybe Jack isn't under some influence that has made him now become one of them. Oh my goodness. So much possibility with story lines. LOL

Yeah, that really piqued my interest as well -- it gives some new life to the character of Jack. From what I've read, we'll be finding out very soon what Jack was doing in that week with the Others, and I'll bet something new and shocking (heh) will be revealed then.

I tend to want to believe that parachute lady was really sent by Penelope to look for Desmond. She has all kinds of money and they have alluded to her searching for him before. I think she loves him enough to do that.

Are people just glossing over something that I saw last night, or are did others see this as well, and aren't making a big deal of it yet? Isn't parachute girl the same chick that Locke helped with her tent early on in the episode? I truly thought so -- and if true, plus the way the Others had the file on Sawyer, makes me suggest that the Others have files on every single passenger on Flight 815. To me, it looks as if she's an Other who has studied Desmond's file, and knows everything about him.