Shaping up - Diet and exercise

Couch Tomato

Do you know what caused it, couchie?

I need to get back on the bandwagon, too. I've been either stressed or travelling or sick the last 3 weeks, and my 'healthy eating' regime has gone out the window. I've eaten restaurant or frozen food almost every day. This weekend I hope to be able to get to the farmer's market and restock my pantry with some fresh, healthy alternatives. I also have hardly been cooking at all....very bad.

Well my head is totally into this now. I did great on shopping. Lots of veggies, no red meat, no sweets (that killed my mom...probably why she made up for it by trick or treating). Portion size. This is what I need to work on.

I'm also doing my blood sugar monitoring 3 times a day. I got scared when I took it earlier this week and it was over 300. It's never been over 300. So that scared me into taking action.

I did my walk today. I'm determined.

Hey, you're looking at someone who has been smoking for decades. I get it. I quit quitting a long time ago because it never worked. Now I subscribe to the "something is better than nothing" approach. I got myself down to 10 or less a day in 2006, and that's still smoking, and it would be even better if I didn't smoke at all, but hey, it's a whole lot better than I used to do. Everybody's got their thing that feels like it's reducing stress, even if it isn't really.

Found what is probably a Holy Grail for me......bread with hardly any carbs!

Made with flaxseed meal. The carbs in ground flaxseed are almost all in the fiber. So a good-sized piece of this bread has less than one gram of carb, since the rest of the carbs leave you with the fiber. And lots of fiber is good even if not on a diet, so just good stuff all around.

I found one pound bags of ground flaxseed at Winn-Dixie, I assume I can get it cheaper on the web, also this does take 5 eggs, but makes quite a big slab of bread.

Also, I cut down on salt, can't leave it out entirely as it is needed for rising. Plus I used olive oil and some garlic and Italian herbs. Very easy and quick to make, there is also a video!

I used Stevia for the sweetener, just a tiny bit, though.

very low carb focaccia

I may try putting in some shredded cheese next time, and this is a soft bread, need to figure out how to make firmer slices somehow. And I used plain aluminum foil to line baking sheet - the oil in the batter was sufficient.

I have lost about 25 pounds this year on low carb, need to exercise - and lose another 25.

Oh - read all the comments - there are lots of really good variations and suggestions.

Heh, comments reminded me of a Clay fan board - almost all 5 stars and enthusiasm, and one YUCK!!!!

My first week doing Weight Watchers. I lost 3.8 lbs. Yay.

I would have done better if not for FRIDAY - my sister's birthday party.

I did get in a two mile walk on Sunday. I'll be doing that every sunday when I go to my nephew's vollyball game. It's in a beautiful location with walking trails all over. Two things I'm trying to do and have been pretty good about is stop eating bread and also to make sure I eat breakfast.

baby steps

I've been struggling like crazy the last few months, gained like 12 lbs and have no will power, have to work to lose as my summer clothes will be too small and I refuse to buy any bigger ones. I need to get back to it before I get really depressed and discouraged. It's been too much a hard road and need to get on the right path!!!

It's a constant battle isn't it. My WW meeting is every Monday. Today was the first time I actually gained .2 pounds but I consider that a triumph considering I had 3 parties last week. I did my best LOL. Good luck Preden.

I honestly still haven't added a consistent exercise pattern. I'm going to do that this week to get back on track. I've lost 7 pounds so far.

Good for you couchie! I have a week before my little trip with my sisters to Burlington VT, so I'm going to try to be very good till then, I won't have lost what I gained but I want to at least try to lose a few lbs in one week!

I hadn't weighed myself in a few months, but then discovered I'd gone up 10 pounds over the course of the winter. So I have been trying to track my calories and get myself back on a healthy eating plan. I lost 3 pounds the first couple of weeks but then had a set back last week when things kind of got hectic, I had a bunch of dinners out or ordered stuff in, Easter and a birthday all in one week. So yesterday I finally felt like things had slowed down enough that I could try and get back on track again. This morning I cleaned all the old left overs out of the fridge. The chocolate from Easter is gone. I made a pot of healthy soup for lunches this week. I haven't stepped on the scale yet to see what damage I did but hopefully it's not too bad. Yesterday the weather was nice so I took the dogs out walking more than usual and I also walked at lunch. I agree it's a constant struggle but I'm with you preden, no way am I buying new clothes again!

So a great incentive is knowing that I can't get bigger clothes even again! today hasn't been to bad, had birthday cake on Sunday! drinking a lot of water helps me lose too! just have to keep track of what I eat and I must make a big pot of vegetable soup, it has no WW points for me and helps lose weight! I'm going to hate myself if I don't the 10 or so lbs that I've gained and summer will soon be here, I have capris in the closet that don't fit right now and their my favorite clothes in summer! we can do it luckiest!!!! coughtomato keep up the good work too!