Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

Greetings!

The admins here at FCA have been discussing having a chat. Miss couchie posted this on the main thread on May 17:

Ok Peeps... your admins have been thinking and we think it's time for a chat. It's been awhile. What the sketchy plan is at the present time is to take a variety of white hot topics - and go at it for 20 or so strong minutes. If it's going well we'll add another 10 minutes to it. In other words play it all by ear up to 2 hours or so. LdyJ is in charge of the bell.

We'll know the topics in advance so if you want to work out any thoughts in advance (for me, I'm a fast typist so only my theory on the ATDW PR would I whip out in advance). If things go long we'll have two chats. I like that we can discuss practically anything and this white hot topic chat will be no exception to that rule. These topics are not set in stone. If you have a topic idea please post. I'll let LdyJ work with ya'll to figure out the best time to do this.

Prospective Topics....

1. ATDW - PR

2. The RCA Boogiemen - Clive and Roger

3. Dealing with the gnats - disengagement?

4. Clay's sexuality - why so fascinating

5. The Tour - what do we know and what do we want

6. The Next Album What? When? Where? Why? and How?

7. Clay's Musical Direction - uh, what is it exactly

8. your fandom - how has it evolved

Another topic that was suggested later was Clay's involvement in AI at this point in his career.

I have included a poll at the top of this thread, with 4 suggestions for dates. The chats will begin at 9:00 EDT, and last for approximately 2 hours each.

The idea is this: A schedule will be set for the topics at each night's chat (between 3-4 topics during the two hour period). We'll chat for approximately 20 minutes on each topic (with 30 minutes being the max), and then move on to the next. I have been given the responsibility to "watch the clock" and keep people moving. Dwelling on each topic is not the goal, however; expressing our ideas IS.

Please vote in the poll by Friday, May 25 at 9:00 p.m. EDT; once the dates are picked, the mods can set the topic schedule and and publicize these chats. Also, if you have any other suggested topics, post them in this thread by May 25 at 9:00 p.m. EDT.

Any questions? Please PM one of the admins -- couch tomato, ansamcw or me.

Hmmm....I'll vote for one of these, but it's probable that I won't be able to do both Friday and Saturday of any given weeekend....There's usually something going on with one or other kid or the mom or hubby...but

Then again.... :allgood:

Whatever is scheduled, just drop by when you can. Also, the topics will remain open for discussion afterward...

Sorry neither of those are good for you Windtalker. We'll be doing these from time to time so hopefully the next time you can join us.

I have no life so I will likely be able to do any of them.

The biggest challenge may be remembering when they are!

don't worry about that...we'll remind you again and again and again!

ETA: or what she said..maybe I should read the entire thread before responding!!

Greetings!

The admins here at FCA have been discussing having a chat. Miss couchie posted this on the main thread on May 17:

Ok Peeps... your admins have been thinking and we think it's time for a chat. It's been awhile. What the sketchy plan is at the present time is to take a variety of white hot topics - and go at it for 20 or so strong minutes. If it's going well we'll add another 10 minutes to it. In other words play it all by ear up to 2 hours or so. LdyJ is in charge of the bell.

We'll know the topics in advance so if you want to work out any thoughts in advance (for me, I'm a fast typist so only my theory on the ATDW PR would I whip out in advance). If things go long we'll have two chats. I like that we can discuss practically anything and this white hot topic chat will be no exception to that rule. These topics are not set in stone. If you have a topic idea please post. I'll let LdyJ work with ya'll to figure out the best time to do this.

Prospective Topics....

1. ATDW - PR

2. The RCA Boogiemen - Clive and Roger

3. Dealing with the gnats - disengagement?

4. Clay's sexuality - why so fascinating

5. The Tour - what do we know and what do we want

6. The Next Album What? When? Where? Why? and How?

7. Clay's Musical Direction - uh, what is it exactly

8. your fandom - how has it evolved

Another topic that was suggested later was Clay's involvement in AI at this point in his career.

I have included a poll at the top of this thread, with 4 suggestions for dates. The chats will begin at 9:00 EDT, and last for approximately 2 hours each.

The idea is this: A schedule will be set for the topics at each night's chat (between 3-4 topics during the two hour period). We'll chat for approximately 20 minutes on each topic (with 30 minutes being the max), and then move on to the next. I have been given the responsibility to "watch the clock" and keep people moving. Dwelling on each topic is not the goal, however; expressing our ideas IS.

Please vote in the poll by Friday, May 25 at 9:00 p.m. EDT; once the dates are picked, the mods can set the topic schedule and and publicize these chats. Also, if you have any other suggested topics, post them in this thread by May 25 at 9:00 p.m. EDT.

Any questions? Please PM one of the admins -- couch tomato, ansamcw or me.

I was ill so I did not see this message until today - any chance of getting involved. RSVP

I was ill so I did not see this message until today - any chance of getting involved. RSVP

of course msclaylady...the more the merrier!!!! Just cometo the board on the night scheduled...we will have direction to the thread for sure and post your thoughts.

can't wait for this...I think we will need lots of time...what do you think if we make the timing flexible.

Hee, I had a dream about Roger last night. The clan was after him big time. Trying desparately to get him fired. It was so detailed and real. Funny in my dream he had cut his hair short like Justin T. and had colored it brown/black...........I wonder what caused me to dream of that crap. I don't buy into the Roger hate. *shrug*

I hope I can talk hubby into switching computer shifts with me, at least for Friday. LOL I want to hear what members here have to say. I can't stand reading the rhetoric at other boards anymore.

May I suggest fan intervention, in Clay's career, as a topic? That is one area I feel so strongly hurts Clay more than anything else.

FCA Chat

Friday, June 1 and Saturday, June 2, 9:00 - 11:00 EDT

Come for one or both nights -- heck, come for only 5 minutes is that's all you can do with your busy schedule!

Ansa, couchie and I have set up a tentative schedule for the two chats. Yes, there's a LOT of topics -- the plan is a "quick burst" approach, no more than 20 -30 minutes per topic (shorter if the conversation stalls). Therefore, here are the topics, so that anyone can formulate their posts ahead of time....

Night one, Friday night:

1) ATDW and the PR campaign -- what worked? What didn't? What else could have been done?

2) RCA/Clive/Roger -- what do you think is the relationship between them and Clay?

3) What do you think is Clay's "musical direction?"

4) The next album -- what? When? Where? How? Why?

5) The Upcoming Tour -- what songs will he sing? Who will be with him besides the orchestra? What will the musical arrangements be like?

6) What is Clay's market demographic at the moment? What do you think should be Clay's market demographic? How can any of this demographics be expanded?

Night two, Saturday night:

1) Why do you think people (both fans and non-fans) find Clay's sexuality such a fascinating topic?

2) What's the best way to deal with "gnats?"

3) Clay and the American Idol franchise -- how much of an influence does it still have on his career?

4) How has your fandom evolved in the past 3 years?

5) Why are people so fascinated with Clay's hair?

6) The fans: should they be involved in Clay's career? If so, how much? If not, why?

This thread is locked for now. It will open up again about an hour before the scheduled chat begins. If you have any questions, please let any of the admins know!

I think you should invite Corabeth - she would have plenty to say on tonight's topics. Me, I got nothing. Not my expertise. Well, I do know something, we all know something, but nothing worth talking about.

well I disagree. I have plenty to talk about and chat about because I find all of this stuff interesting. Hell everything about the man and his career is interesting to me. I have thoughts on all of this but don't want to live them 24/7... 20 minutes and moving on is enough for me...although they are always open for discussion on main. Hell we have discussed them all already.

But IMO playbiller, you have "opinions" -- which we all do. Facts? None of us fans should have them. But the sharing of opinions is very cool, as long as respect is there.

As for the topic: I really think that the TV appearances served Clay well, although the sound mixing on a few of those WY's left a lot to be desired. I'm one that thinks he sells records just by being his charming self.

More later....

OK, I'm back. *g* I think the main thing that really hurt is the lack of a innovative single -- IMO, if they had released HYCA first, I think some people who don't normally like Clay Aiken would have had their interest piqued. (But then, I love HYCA...)

I also do wish he would have done a stint on SNL. Might have given Clay some "street cred." *g*

SIGH...ATDW....

I think the main problem with this was timing. There was a lack of build up.

I also think they made a mistake on the 2 songs they chose as singles. I think LNM is a much stronger single and if they were goign to go with a sweet love song.EIH was better than WY.

I really do agree with Dudley's assessment that the original concept of Clives was a much more basic...quick and classic treatment of some love songs. But Clay wanted more. I think Clay took Clives idea and built it up in his own image...in the end the marketing concept and the product didn't quite fit.

OK first of all I do think there was a plan. This is what my feeble brain can remember...

A shoddy first mention in an entertainment magazine

A press release

Online sneak peaks for the album

TV appearances including a week on GMA/Insider/ET – and events tv Tyra/Larry King

People Cover – demoted to feature due to Anna Nicole

Walmart sountcheck whatever

Itunes/kmart bonus/ Yahoo

The first thing that stands out for is that there was very little pre album drop promotion. Music magazines, radio were missing. Clay was treated like a celebrity rather than a musician.

I also think many of his fans were missed because the 20K or so online fans don't represent the vast majority of his fans which may not be internet saavy. Sneak peaks on radio stations that won't even play him normally? The song he wrote only available as a download? And Walmart Soundcheck while fine, was too limiting.

Why is the question...

Why is the question...

That's a VERY good question. Honestly, it probably was because of the gnats -- since so much of the publicity was about that instead of the album. Sad, but true.

I agree Ansa that the timing of the album wasn't great, but I don't think it was bad either. It just didn't capitalize on the buzz of AI5. I remember people thinking it was sad that he didn't have any "product" after that appearance -- but ITA that Clay was doing things his way (thanks to Frank Sinatra. *g*) I also suspect that Clay knew that he wasn't going to be capitalizing on that appearance by doing the album on his terms, but it was a choice that he made.

But that's a speculation on my part.

SIGH...ATDW....

I think the main problem with this was timing. There was a lack of build up.

Yep an album can't just drop from the sky. There have to be mentions everywhere over all types of media. You see someone once and it's like oh Clay...nice to see you. If you see him 10 times it's like DAMN he must have something coming out.heee

Oh and yeah.. I know nothing..this is all my opinion heee but I think that goes without saying...

I think the year long humiliating tabloid campaign conceivably played a part in what was available to Clay. Every time some hint of wwhat was upcoming with Clay the tabloids jumped on it and turned in into something negative. Hey, did you know Diane refused to interview Clay because he didn't want to talk about the tabloid story which of course they had to rehash again and again.

And so I thought they figured, enough of that we’ll just come out guns a blazing…only problem is that what they had wasn’t enough. It’s clear to me that Clay went to where he was comfortable – kimmell, king, Sawyer. Cool people like Ellen wouldn’t have him on. And I think people like her and the music magazine probably demanded to rehash the tabloid garbage. Say what you will about Diana Sawyer and GMA…they did not rehash the tabloid garbage. They talked about his sexuality which is a completely different thing. Clay was going to give up something. He wasn't going to be on just to talk about Unicef and TBAF.

I do think The People magazine story was one of the best features he has ever had. He was vulnerable, yes but he was strong. He showed that he endured and will continue to endure…He even addressed the tabloids on his terms. Of course nobody noticed heee...but I think all of this serves him well for next album. I think he made it clear, very clear that he was done talking about his sexuality.

WHY???

Timing...this CD was first suppose to drop in May...then it was supposed to Drop in mid June...there was a July date too...But in the end, it came out in September. Pretty much the same time that Rod and Barry brought out their CD's ...also same time as Josh, JM and JT. At that time radio promo probably wasn't as easy when all these guys were also coming out with something.

I think if they stuck to the June date...there would;ve been more time for Clay to do promo and maybe even a short concert tour.

In september...with Christmas music coming around the corner...not much time to build up Clay;s radio presence.

I also think september was bad for TV promo...again all these top artist are wanting time on these shows...and also T personalities and doing promos for their shows...not much space. For example...Ellen, I remember that week they were trying to get Clay on I think Elton John was on selling his product. Frankly...I can understand why Ellen producers would opt for Elton than for clay.