Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

Talking directly to Roger, or Clay, or Mary, or Nick, or Faye (god), or any number of "connections" to try to steer Clay's career = bad.

Talking to fellow fans on message boards = normal.

IMO of course.

I agree but

I also think spreading gossip and lies hush hush on the QT is just as bad as speaking to any of those people directly.

I mean I've heard that Clive wanted Clay to be more of a rocker and Clay resisted to Clay wanted to be more of a rocker and Clive turned him into Barry Manilow and Clay is practically suicidal ALL COMING FROM THE SAME DAMN SOURCE. TO me this is the damaging nature of the internet and the ability to gain power in a fandom that craves information. The more people think you have the more clout you have. I think the insider stuff raises expectations and took the entire fandom down the garden path which is why it crashed and burned later. And now it is starting again. Frankly I'm not impressed because none of these people know Clay or are getting their information from HIM. They don't know him any more than I do..

TO me this is the damaging nature of the internet and the ability to gain power in a fandom that craves information. The more people think you have the more clout you have. I think the insider stuff raises expectations and took the entire fandom down the garden path which is why it crashed and burned later. And now it is starting again. Frankly I'm not impressed because none of these people know Clay or are getting their information from HIM. They don't know him any more than I do..

ITA. That's why I wish people in this fandom would just gain a little perspective. If there is something to be found out, Clay will let us know in due course. I for one can wait.

I agree but

I also think spreading gossip and lies hush hush on the QT is just as bad as speaking to any of those people directly.

I mean I've heard that Clive wanted Clay to be more of a rocker and Clay resisted to Clay wanted to be more of a rocker and Clive turned him into Barry Manilow and Clay is practically suicidal ALL COMING FROM THE SAME DAMN SOURCE. TO me this is the damaging nature of the internet and the ability to gain power in a fandom that craves information. The more people think you have the more clout you have.

Oh hell yes. I have PMs and IMs from people who "don't do PMs or IMs" telling me all sorts of bullshit. So yeah, I agree completely. Backchannel gossip is ridiculous. BUT, people need to stop being desperate for some sekrit news and stop being so gullible!!!!! I cannot believe the people who believed some of the things they believed last year. Oy.

And I agree ldyjocelyn. People don't post to each other sometimes... you can't take their words at face value. There is always some underlying crap, super sekrit decoder BS with their posts. I ignore everything from people who post like that anymore. If you can't post straight up without talking like you're sending a sekrit message to Clay, then I have no time for you. Ever. I'm bitchy that way. :lol:

I agree but

I mean I've heard that Clive wanted Clay to be more of a rocker and Clay resisted to Clay wanted to be more of a rocker and Clive turned him into Barry Manilow and Clay is practically suicidal ALL COMING FROM THE SAME DAMN SOURCE. TO me this is the damaging nature of the internet and the ability to gain power in a fandom that craves information. The more people think you have the more clout you have. I think the insider stuff raises expectations and took the entire fandom down the garden path which is why it crashed and burned later. And now it is starting again. Frankly I'm not impressed because none of these people know Clay or are getting their information from HIM. They don't know him any more than I do..

WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD!!!!!

The "insider" information crap bugs me, and I'm sad if it will be starting again. Frankly, it's none of my business, and besides -- a third cousin of the chauffeur of the baby sitter of Clay's producer is soooooooo reliable. *snort*

Unless it comes from Clay, I don't need to hear it.

Perspective -- it's what's for the fandom.

OK, the chat is officially over for the evening. I'd like to thank you all for attending and "using your voice." It's been a great time, and I've loved every minute of it. You guys rawk!

However, I'll add that just because people POST what they'd like Clay to do, does not mean they are trying to control what he does. I think it's better when people can distinguish the difference between armchair quarterbacking and telling Clay what to do as if it will make some difference.

Talking directly to Roger, or Clay, or Mary, or Nick, or Faye (god), or any number of "connections" to try to steer Clay's career = bad.

IMO of course.

That's a good point....and something I think I do forget. But I think there are some fans that purposefully blur the line between the two. For example -- people who think that Clay reads their words on a message board. While I do think he has someone on his team who peruses the boards, Clay just doesn't have time for that. But there is a sense that I get that some really believe he's hearing them and will be taking his words to heart.

Yes...you can tell the ones that take what they say to heart because they seem to get angry when things don;t happen the way they think it should.

e.g. clay's blogging...I know some people want clay to use this as a way to communicate to the fans and to draw the fans in...so they feel he needs to tell the fans more about his career or life. So now everytime the blog is quite light or short...they get upset. Like clay is supposed to be doing what they want. That frustrates me.

I agree but

WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD!!!!!

Oh yes this is one of the most destructive thing of all. specially when they deliberately give vague info cos they want to either protect clay or the sensibilities of the fans...like we were children. PUHLEEEZE..this never works. cos what happens is the people's imaginations usually make the situation much worse. Also...when people don;t want to give the details...it is difficult to actually debunk the rumor. So people would rather pass on innuendos cos that is hard to examine.. UGH

e.g. clay's blogging...I know some people want clay to use this as a way to communicate to the fans and to draw the fans in...so they feel he needs to tell the fans more about his career or life. So now everytime the blog is quite light or short...they get upset. Like clay is supposed to be doing what they want. That frustrates me.
I'm sorry that frustrates you.

I look at it this way. If I can't tell my friends I'm feeling disappointed in something, who can I tell? Like I said, if they are genuinely disappointed, that's fine. I'm sorry they feel that way. They aren't over there picketing the OFC yelling at Clay for giving crappy blog... they're talking to their "friends". That's ok with me.

In this case, the OFC sold people blogs... people have a right to be bothered to not receive something they feel they paid for. I understand getting sick of listening to a constant drip of bitching - my sister, the ass (:lol:) does that sometimes and I want to throttle her, but... she's just venting. I dunno. That's the stuff I'm easy with I guess.

Anyway, thanks so much for having the chat... It's really fun!!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Ooops!! I read couchie's "chat is over" post and closed my laptop.

OK, my husband also got home with dinner, so I prolly would've left anyway. So I'm chiming in late. Again.

IMO of course.

I agree but

I mean I've heard that Clive wanted Clay to be more of a rocker and Clay resisted to Clay wanted to be more of a rocker and Clive turned him into Barry Manilow and Clay is practically suicidal ALL COMING FROM THE SAME DAMN SOURCE.

I must be way out of the loop because I hadn't heard those versions. Sure, I've read/heard other versions of supposed insider reports. Partly I think people just try to understand in the absence of news, and fill in with speculation. Then, that speculation somehow becomes morphed into rumor. Then that rumor gets told over and over, and somehow someone's speculative opinion morphs into fact.

I do agree with YSRN that folks talking among themselves on the boards is not the same as telling Clay what to do. It's when people who have no way of knowing what's true try to fill in the blanks for themselves and then pitch that over and over and over that it gets old.

TO me this is the damaging nature of the internet and the ability to gain power in a fandom that craves information. The more people think you have the more clout you have. I think the insider stuff raises expectations and took the entire fandom down the garden path which is why it crashed and burned later. And now it is starting again. Frankly I'm not impressed because none of these people know Clay or are getting their information from HIM. They don't know him any more than I do..

Yea, that. I thinks some people's version of trying to be helpful is to spin tales. Then people who aren't comfortable not knowing what's going on grasp onto those tales as truth. It's a symbiotic relationship and it gets ugly, especially hopeful predictions turn out to not come true.

heee..yeah that's how I feel. I'm sure most folks know by now that Clay doesn't really give a crap about their opinion and he probably laughs at half the theories. He actually wrote blogs that tease about picking a part every little thing only to have that picked apart. heee. My reaction is really on me and how I choose to deal with it. Mostly these days I just scroll. It works brilliantly.

glad nobody is around to see what I just did. :cryingwlaughter:

It's a symbiotic relationship and it gets ugly, especially hopeful predictions turn out to not come true.

Or if dire predictions appear to be coming true because expectations created by hopeful predictions are not met.

Did that make sense? I should go to bed too. (I'm sorry I missed what you did, couchie. It might have been entertaining.) :cryingwlaughter:

heee..yeah that's how I feel. I'm sure most folks know by now that Clay doesn't really give a crap about their opinion and he probably laughs at half the theories. He actually wrote blogs that tease about picking a part every little thing only to have that picked apart. heee. My reaction is really on me and how I choose to deal with it. Mostly these days I just scroll. It works brilliantly.

glad nobody is around to see what I just did. :cryingwlaughter:

c'mon fess up...what was it????

you know there was a time I felt like you YSRN ... that the complaining is really normal and just like friends doing it. But I do wonder if some people do it because its expected or its part of the normal posting in a certain board. Its just that the complaints are the same things and after all these years it seems like people have gotten into this habit. It has become very predictable and made me a great scroller. BUT at times when there is little to talk about...it just seems like complaints and negative posts dominate. I do think that the people that used to try to balance the postings have gotten tired of all the complaining and stop posting altogether. The result...the complaints usually overwhelm the EEEEEEEEEEEing and there is this impression of doom and gloom. I think that is why for some regulars on the boards..they get the impression that all is not well with Clay. The negativity is just self perpetuating.

Now having said all that....I really don;t know what the solution would be. Its also not right to start controlling people's post. So in the end...I think people will just drift away and form their own little groups where they can find some fun.